HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Similar Stick to Easton Synthesis

Old
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
GJB

vCash: 500
Similar Stick to Easton Synthesis

A few years ago I had an Easton Synthesis (basically the two piece model of a Synergy) and it was the best stick I ever used. I think it was about a 100 flex, really helped my shot out a lot and gained confidence from it.

I've used 3-4 sticks then but nothing seems to equal it. And I can't afford a Synergy really, not right now.

What are some good two-piece options that could rival it?

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Let me break it down for you:

The Tflex was Easton's first tapered shaft. The TFlex was fused to the TFlex composite blade to become the original Synergy. The TFlex later became the Synthesis with the newer style paint. Later that became the Synergy II, then the SE, then the SE16, next year it will be the EQ50. It's basically been the same stick since the beginning.

You really aren't going to find a cheap tapered shaft so just go with the Easton's if you like them.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Let me break it down for you:

The Tflex was Easton's first tapered shaft. The TFlex was fused to the TFlex composite blade to become the original Synergy. The TFlex later became the Synthesis with the newer style paint. Later that became the Synergy II, then the SE, then the SE16, next year it will be the EQ50. It's basically been the same stick since the beginning.

You really aren't going to find a cheap tapered shaft so just go with the Easton's if you like them.
Since you would know, have there ever been any major structural changes to the Synergy line (excluding the ST) since the original Synergy, or are they all the same thing with newer paint jobs and higher price tags?

I really only use RBK and Bauer sticks anyway, they feel better than Eastons to me, and Easton's are overpriced, I am just wondering what the deal with them is.

Its usually pretty easy to tell when there are major structural changes (the RBK 7k to 10k was pretty drastic, although I love both sticks) and I never noticed anything like that with the Synergys.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Since you would know, have there ever been any major structural changes to the Synergy line (excluding the ST) since the original Synergy, or are they all the same thing with newer paint jobs and higher price tags?

I really only use RBK and Bauer sticks anyway, they feel better than Eastons to me, and Easton's are overpriced, I am just wondering what the deal with them is.

Its usually pretty easy to tell when there are major structural changes (the RBK 7k to 10k was pretty drastic, although I love both sticks) and I never noticed anything like that with the Synergys.
Yeah, basically the Synergy morphed into the ST.

Now think of the high-end Eastons as three different lines:
Synergy, ST, ST, ST, ST
Synergy SL, SE, SE16, EQ50
Stealth(05), CNT Stealth, S17, S19

The Synergy SL came out and it was a lighter weight version of the Synergy. The SL was fantastic, in my opinion, but it had durability issues. Then that became the SE which had a toughened heel, this was the pinnacle of the line in my opinion. The SE16 added more durability while sacrificing weight and performance, it kind of drifted the line back towards the original Synergy in feel.

If you were looking for that original Synergy feel go with a ST. The ST is actually the most popular Easton stick in the NHL, it's normally hidden under Stealth or SE16 graphics.

I find it odd that you like Reebok and Bauer sticks. They feel completely different to me, at least the current lines.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Yeah, basically the Synergy morphed into the ST.

Now think of the high-end Eastons as three different lines:
Synergy, ST, ST, ST, ST
Synergy SL, SE, SE16, EQ50
Stealth(05), CNT Stealth, S17, S19

The Synergy SL came out and it was a lighter weight version of the Synergy. The SL was fantastic, in my opinion, but it had durability issues. Then that became the SE which had a toughened heel, this was the pinnacle of the line in my opinion. The SE16 added more durability while sacrificing weight and performance, it kind of drifted the line back towards the original Synergy in feel.

If you were looking for that original Synergy feel go with a ST. The ST is actually the most popular Easton stick in the NHL, it's normally hidden under Stealth or SE16 graphics.

I find it odd that you like Reebok and Bauer sticks. They feel completely different to me, at least the current lines.
They certainly are different, and I like them for different reasons. Bauer's have the best puck feel of any stick I ever used. The puck feels like it is part of the stick, and the stick feels like an extension of your hands. Their sticks just feel perfect.

The reebok's (Strictly the 7k and the 10k, I find the o sticks to be worthless) arent much for puck feel IMO, but the puck flies off my stick like no stick I ever used. I first noticed this the first time I used a 7k, and then the first time I used a 10k, it felt like I was firing missiles. They dont feel nearly as good as the Bauer's but the release on them is nothing short of incredible.

Not being able to decide which I like better, the feel or the release, I switch between them all the time, but I love both brands. Easton's on the other hand have always seemed to be more about the name and the price tag than the stick. Probably because since they came out with the original, they had the market cornered, and all the name recognition they needed. Other brands had to work harder on their products to compete with Easton.

Anyway, thanks for the info, it was very interesting, being that this stuff fascinates me

Edit: I especially found fascinating that the most popular stick in the NHL is the ST hidden under other graphics. I remember the original synergy wowed me when it first came out, and until I broke my last one, it still did. The original synergy was the last Easton to really wow me. Their 'higher end" sticks since then seemed to be much more about flash and marketing than substance compared to their competitors. The SL's and S17/S19's all paled in comparison to the higher end sticks by Reebok, Bauer, CCM and Warrior (although their graphics and stupid names turn me off from their products) yet when I used my original Synergys they still felt and performed great. So its very telling that the NHL guys still stick with the original.

Old
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't know all that. I think my old SL was my favorite stick out of the ones I've had/tried so far in terms of performance. It snapped on me when taking a slap shot not even a full season into getting it, but while it lasted it was great. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a SE16...

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
They certainly are different, and I like them for different reasons. Bauer's have the best puck feel of any stick I ever used. The puck feels like it is part of the stick, and the stick feels like an extension of your hands. Their sticks just feel perfect.

The reebok's (Strictly the 7k and the 10k, I find the o sticks to be worthless) arent much for puck feel IMO, but the puck flies off my stick like no stick I ever used. I first noticed this the first time I used a 7k, and then the first time I used a 10k, it felt like I was firing missiles. They dont feel nearly as good as the Bauer's but the release on them is nothing short of incredible.

Not being able to decide which I like better, the feel or the release, I switch between them all the time, but I love both brands. Easton's on the other hand have always seemed to be more about the name and the price tag than the stick. Probably because since they came out with the original, they had the market cornered, and all the name recognition they needed. Other brands had to work harder on their products to compete with Easton.

Anyway, thanks for the info, it was very interesting, being that this stuff fascinates me

Edit: I especially found fascinating that the most popular stick in the NHL is the ST hidden under other graphics. I remember the original synergy wowed me when it first came out, and until I broke my last one, it still did. The original synergy was the last Easton to really wow me. Their 'higher end" sticks since then seemed to be much more about flash and marketing than substance compared to their competitors. The SL's and S17/S19's all paled in comparison to the higher end sticks by Reebok, Bauer, CCM and Warrior (although their graphics and stupid names turn me off from their products) yet when I used my original Synergys they still felt and performed great. So its very telling that the NHL guys still stick with the original.
Have you tried the 8.0.8? It's better than the 9KO by a lot. The 8.0.8 actually reminds me a lot of the V10 Catapult(which is made by the same OEM by the way). I really disliked both 7Ks and I thought the 10K was nice. I prefer the U+ and U+CL to anything Reebok is offering at the moment, heck even the pro 10K and 11K are made by the OEM making the U+CL instead of their retail OEM. The feel on the one95 is the best available in a composite, you can thanks Mission for that. The X:60 is where I expected the SL/SE to be at now, stiff blade, not great feel but great performance and pretty good durability.

The ST isn't soo much the favorite because it's better but moreso because it doesn't take an adjustment and it's rather durable. Look at guys like St Louis, he gets custom yellow graphics for familiarity. Phaneuf kept using the same puke green STs for longer than St Louis kept his! It's a rather well known fact that Crosby has used the same jock since he was an early teen, some NHLers are just weird with their gear and refuse to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
Interesting, I didn't know all that. I think my old SL was my favorite stick out of the ones I've had/tried so far in terms of performance. It snapped on me when taking a slap shot not even a full season into getting it, but while it lasted it was great. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a SE16...
My advice, don't bother with the SE16, try to find a SL or SE. If you can't find one try a Bauer Vapor X:60 stick, it's pretty close in terms of feel and performance.

Old
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
canuck44

Quote:
My advice, don't bother with the SE16, try to find a SL or SE. If you can't find one try a Bauer Vapor X:60 stick, it's pretty close in terms of feel and performance.
I've looked for SL's online and in stores, doesn't seem to be around anymore. The SE, are we talking about the synergy elite? The one that kind of looks similar to the original synergy?

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Islander102

Quote:
Have you tried the 8.0.8? It's better than the 9KO by a lot. The 8.0.8 actually reminds me a lot of the V10 Catapult(which is made by the same OEM by the way). I really disliked both 7Ks and I thought the 10K was nice. I prefer the U+ and U+CL to anything Reebok is offering at the moment, heck even the pro 10K and 11K are made by the OEM making the U+CL instead of their retail OEM. The feel on the one95 is the best available in a composite, you can thanks Mission for that. The X:60 is where I expected the SL/SE to be at now, stiff blade, not great feel but great performance and pretty good durability.

The ST isn't soo much the favorite because it's better but moreso because it doesn't take an adjustment and it's rather durable. Look at guys like St Louis, he gets custom yellow graphics for familiarity. Phaneuf kept using the same puke green STs for longer than St Louis kept his! It's a rather well known fact that Crosby has used the same jock since he was an early teen, some NHLers are just weird with their gear and refuse to change.

Yes, my pro stock 10K's feel exactly like a CL. I have a question about those actually. The pro stock 10K (in the true one piece version, I know a lot of guys use a painted two piece, fortunately I got the true one version on mine) is obviously the CL, and the pro stock U+CL is, I would imagine, a CL. They are both made by Reebok. Why do some players using a CL get a CL paint job, and others using a CL get a 10k paint job. Preference, marketing, god knows what?

Old
09-30-2010, 02:36 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

No wonder I liked my ST so much... I was using a Synthesis up till then, and the Synthesis is still my back up for ice/roller competitive leagues.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
I've looked for SL's online and in stores, doesn't seem to be around anymore. The SE, are we talking about the synergy elite? The one that kind of looks similar to the original synergy?
Yeah the Synergy Elite. The SE was the replacement to the SL, they added material to the heel of the blade and changed the graphics. Remember:
SL, SE, SE16, EQ50

Quote:
Yes, my pro stock 10K's feel exactly like a CL. I have a question about those actually. The pro stock 10K (in the true one piece version, I know a lot of guys use a painted two piece, fortunately I got the true one version on mine) is obviously the CL, and the pro stock U+CL is, I would imagine, a CL. They are both made by Reebok. Why do some players using a CL get a CL paint job, and others using a CL get a 10k paint job. Preference, marketing, god knows what?
It's marketing. It's why RBK changed to "Reebok" and the Vector logo on gloves will be gone for "Reebok" written out on the cuff. The pro stock 10K/11K and the retail(and pro) U+/U+CL are both made by True Temper for Reebok/CCM. TT also makes Combat(formerly Ballistic) sticks as well as made Eagle sticks.

Old
09-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Yeah the Synergy Elite. The SE was the replacement to the SL, they added material to the heel of the blade and changed the graphics. Remember:
SL, SE, SE16, EQ50

It's marketing. It's why RBK changed to "Reebok" and the Vector logo on gloves will be gone for "Reebok" written out on the cuff. The pro stock 10K/11K and the retail(and pro) U+/U+CL are both made by True Temper for Reebok/CCM. TT also makes Combat(formerly Ballistic) sticks as well as made Eagle sticks.
I gotcha, but if that is the case why do some high profile players still use stuff with CCM written on it, like Tavares, Ovechkin, and even guys without CCM deals such as Matt Gilroy, while an almost equal number of players use the Reebok stuff. If its the same stick, wouldnt they want the Reebok brand to get more exposure?

Old
09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I currently have an SE and I love the stick. I worry when it I won't find a replacement as light as it is. I heard the blade will probably break and I can cut it off and put a tapered one in. what would you recommend? I was thinking x:60 but idk. I want the sakic curve and something with good feel and power.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I currently have an SE and I love the stick. I worry when it I won't find a replacement as light as it is. I heard the blade will probably break and I can cut it off and put a tapered one in. what would you recommend? I was thinking x:60 but idk. I want the sakic curve and something with good feel and power.
Well the Elite/SE16 blade is what is currently in your stick so you could always get one of those.

Old
09-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Well the Elite/SE16 blade is what is currently in your stick so you could always get one of those.
I'm going to see if my LHS carries them when the time comes. I think the blade might be going soft anyway. Otherwise I'll make the drive to hockeygiant and see if I can pick up the Backstrom Bauer.

Last edited by Splitbtw: 09-30-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I'd do that but I think it may be easier for me to find the Bauer equivalent of the Sakic around here. I can get it from hockeygiant and possibly arrange a pickup.
Gotcha, in that case, an X-60 blade should do the trick. If you want to save a few bucks, if you can find an XXXX blade, go for that.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
I gotcha, but if that is the case why do some high profile players still use stuff with CCM written on it, like Tavares, Ovechkin, and even guys without CCM deals such as Matt Gilroy, while an almost equal number of players use the Reebok stuff. If its the same stick, wouldnt they want the Reebok brand to get more exposure?
Reebok gets plenty of exposure. Datsyuk, Hedman, Perron, Crosby, Hamrlik, Spezza. On top of the big names they get a lot of the guys because of the equipment credit and all of the AHL/ECHL.