HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PK "The Body" Subban

Old
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
PK "The Body" Subban

Hello Friends.

I decided to start this topic to talk EXCLUSIVELY about my great and good friend, PK "The Body" Subban.

In all seriousness, we have a gem here folks. I don't know how many of you have had the pleasure of seeing this kid play live, but last night was something incredible. You cannot get a true appreciation for his game until you see him live.

I don't know what it is, but there is something about this kid. The way he skates, the way he moves on the ice...It is the type of extreme super-confidence that very few players have. Even Crosby, the best player in the game, doesn't have this aura around him.

I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar. He's no Crosby or Ovechkin or other young megastud. But man oh man, this kid is going to be fun to watch.

Yes he's going to make big mistakes. In fact I can predict based on last night that this guy is probably going to be a turnover machine. But I don't care. And I don't think he cares either. He tries to pull this ridiculous moves and I swear, they work because everyone on the other team is convinced he will pull it off. He's so confident that it makes others around him confident too.

There was a sequence on the PP between PK and Gomez in the first period... I have never seen a d-man pull those kinds of moves. Jacques Martin must have had 6 heart attacks. His game in the playoffs was NOTHING compared to the way he's been playing this pre-season.

And away from the play, he is just something else. Watching this guy literally float all over the ice effortlessly is an absolute pleasure to witness. I know not everyone has had a chance to see him play this pre-season but I think the rest of the games will be on TV, so hopefully you will see what I saw.

Next time you go to a game live, just focus on PK. I was barely paying any attention to the game when he was on the ice. He's intimidating as hell too. Skating around during stoppages looking like he's ready to plow through someone.

I hate to get so hyped up about prospects after years of disappointments, but if PK plays like this all year, finally the hype will be legit. He is a really special player and I am beyond excited to see this guy all year.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Sebaldian

His nickname is Primetime.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:50 PM

This post isn't directed towards you WD...but I hope PK doesn't turn into the next "hero-to-zero" amongst Habs fans.

Because I can already see it, like MANY before him...fans get excited, they put a player up on a pedestal, then when things start going wrong. It becomes a lynch mob.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
coolasprICE

there is only 1 man i'd have sex with in this world... and that's PK Subban.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Hello Friends.

I decided to start this topic to talk EXCLUSIVELY about my great and good friend, PK "The Body" Subban.

In all seriousness, we have a gem here folks. I don't know how many of you have had the pleasure of seeing this kid play live, but last night was something incredible. You cannot get a true appreciation for his game until you see him live.

I don't know what it is, but there is something about this kid. The way he skates, the way he moves on the ice...It is the type of extreme super-confidence that very few players have. Even Crosby, the best player in the game, doesn't have this aura around him.

I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar. He's no Crosby or Ovechkin or other young megastud. But man oh man, this kid is going to be fun to watch.

Yes he's going to make big mistakes. In fact I can predict based on last night that this guy is probably going to be a turnover machine. But I don't care. And I don't think he cares either. He tries to pull this ridiculous moves and I swear, they work because everyone on the other team is convinced he will pull it off. He's so confident that it makes others around him confident too.

There was a sequence on the PP between PK and Gomez in the first period... I have never seen a d-man pull those kinds of moves. Jacques Martin must have had 6 heart attacks. His game in the playoffs was NOTHING compared to the way he's been playing this pre-season.

And away from the play, he is just something else. Watching this guy literally float all over the ice effortlessly is an absolute pleasure to witness. I know not everyone has had a chance to see him play this pre-season but I think the rest of the games will be on TV, so hopefully you will see what I saw.

Next time you go to a game live, just focus on PK. I was barely paying any attention to the game when he was on the ice. He's intimidating as hell too. Skating around during stoppages looking like he's ready to plow through someone.

I hate to get so hyped up about prospects after years of disappointments, but if PK plays like this all year, finally the hype will be legit. He is a really special player and I am beyond excited to see this guy all year.
man, I was in the booth during the playoffs when he :
-stood tall to Ovechkin (i.e. not looking out of place) (although limited exposure at that time)
-manhandled Crosby behind the net like a little schoolgirl... Crosby was in the "office"... PK came, took the puck and left with it... as if it wasn't Crosby at all there... outpowered, outstickhandled, outsped...

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:55 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Love the nickname, and I know Subban and his teammates came up with it, but Primetime is already taken. I think "Showtime" has a good ring to it, and as far as I know, it's relatively unique (Devin Thomas maybe...but PK is more The Man) while still evoking the same meaning. Showtime Subban, it kind of rolls, and who doesn't like alliteration?

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
This post isn't directed towards you WD...but I hope PK doesn't turn into the next "hero-to-zero" amongst Habs fans.

Because I can already see it, like MANY before him...fans get excited, they put a player up on a pedestal, then when things start going wrong. It becomes a lynch mob.
I feel the same way, but I dunno how to explain it...It's like I'm not even worried because PK is just THAT confident and inpires THAT much confidence in others.

The only concern I have is injuries. The way he dances all over the place like Mohammed Ali, I get worried about those ankles of his.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Love the nickname, and I know Subban and his teammates came up with it, but Primetime is already taken. I think "Showtime" has a good ring to it, and as far as I know, it's relatively unique (Devin Thomas maybe...but that doesn't count) while still evoking the same meaning. Showtime Subban, it kind of rolls, and who doesn't like alliteration?
does 'sh' followed by 's' count as alliteration?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Love the nickname, and I know Subban and his teammates came up with it, but Primetime is already taken. I think "Showtime" has a good ring to it, and as far as I know, it's relatively unique (Devin Thomas maybe...but that doesn't count) while still evoking the same meaning. Showtime Subban, it kind of rolls, and who doesn't like alliteration?
Anything but Scooby Doo.

Old
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
He clearly does have star potential, but he has been BRUTAL defensively in preseason games. And anyone that hasn't seen that definitely has some blinders on. Not hating, just saying that the guy still has a lot of work to do in order to be a well-rounded star player.

Hopefully he gets paired with Markov or Hamrlik for much of the season and can learn from their game.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I feel the same way, but I dunno how to explain it...It's like I'm not even worried because PK is just THAT confident and inpires THAT much confidence in others.

The only concern I have is injuries. The way he dances all over the place like Mohammed Ali, I get worried about those ankles of his.
I don't know...i've seen it happen too much, i'm jaded now lol.

When I hear people chanting his name when he's played a total of 2 regular season games, I just get worried, i've seen this movie before.

Especially when you consider that PK Subban plays the type of game where he could easily be responsible for a loss by making a glaring mistake (while also being responsible for a win, by making a great end to end rush).

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Speech impediments should not be mocked...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
one you go black you never go back

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:06 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Close enough. As long as it's pleasureable to the ear, which "Showtime Subban" totally is. Pure poetry. When PK's involved, you're allowed to ignore the general technicalities of literature.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Anything but Scooby Doo.
Didn't Quinn dub him Subby-doo in response to his self-assigned Subbanator?

Old
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Didn't Quinn dub him Subby-doo in response to his self-assigned Subbanator?
my google research indicates it was in fact the honorable Gord Miller of tsn who started it

Old
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Black Bobby Orr amirite?

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
my google research indicates it was in fact the honorable Gord Miller of tsn who started it
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-blueline.html

After Canada’s convincing victory over Germany, Subban was awarded the game puck by coach Pat Quinn, who has affectionately dubbed him “Subbie-doo,” an apt nickname originating from Subban’s patented spin-o-rama move that opposing forecheckers have nightmares about.

Old
09-27-2010, 04:04 PM
CrisisInMTL

I was lucky enough to see this guy play close to 100 games live in Junior during his time in Belleville.

His last season here was ridiculous. He dominated on a nightly basis. He would start rushes and gain the zone at will when the team needed it. (Thing Gomez when he's at his best) During their playoff run in 2009 to the conference finals there were games that I don't think he came off the ice more than a handful of times in the 3rd period and OT. He must have been touching 40mins.

His defensive game got much better as his junior career went on so I think he's aware of it and strives to improve it. But imo, by his final junior season his defensive game was pretty good.

His problem spot is in between the blue lines when he gets fancy. That's a dangerous area for anyone. However, his skating was so good that he would be able to catch up to the mistakes he made.

His coverage in his own zone and around his own net was pretty good. He's physical and his quick skating and explosiveness help him close the gap quickly in the slot area. Granted, his last junior game was in the spring of 2009 so I'm a bit dated now when it comes to seeing him play live in person.

One thing the Bulls did when they went to the Memorial Cup in 2008 was pair Subban up with a D by the name of Geoff Killing. Killing was a rock-steady, reliable, tough stay at home defenceman. Not an offensive type at all. It worked perfectly. If PK could find some kind of chemistry with a player like that, be it Gill, Gorges or O'byrne it could be magic.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office View Post
I was lucky enough to see this guy play close to 100 games live in Junior during his time in Belleville.

His last season here was ridiculous. He dominated on a nightly basis. He would start rushes and gain the zone at will when the team needed it. (Thing Gomez when he's at his best) During their playoff run in 2009 to the conference finals there were games that I don't think he came off the ice more than a handful of times in the 3rd period and OT. He must have been touching 40mins.

His defensive game got much better as his junior career went on so I think he's aware of it and strives to improve it. But imo, by his final junior season his defensive game was pretty good.

His problem spot is in between the blue lines when he gets fancy. That's a dangerous area for anyone. However, his skating was so good that he would be able to catch up to the mistakes he made.

His coverage in his own zone and around his own net was pretty good. He's physical and his quick skating and explosiveness help him close the gap quickly in the slot area. Granted, his last junior game was in the spring of 2009 so I'm a bit dated now when it comes to seeing him play live in person.

One thing the Bulls did when they went to the Memorial Cup in 2008 was pair Subban up with a D by the name of Geoff Killing. Killing was a rock-steady, reliable, tough stay at home defenceman. Not an offensive type at all. It worked perfectly. If PK could find some kind of chemistry with a player like that, be it Gill, Gorges or O'byrne it could be magic.
killing was in belleville forever. I gave away a jersey a few years ago I had as a kid and it was 77 richard park i believe. what player he was for the bulls.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
That one is famously taken by NFLer Deion Sanders.

http://teens.aol.com/originals/athletes-nicknames

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
LastRide

I thought it was "The Licker" after last nights game.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
That one is famously taken by NFLer Deion Sanders.

http://teens.aol.com/originals/athletes-nicknames
Subban will be famous-er

It's not the same sport so it doesn't count.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Top or bottom??

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
Top or bottom??
I'd take whatever I can get, tbh.

Subban in his prime would score more points per year on Washington then Mike Green currently is. I feel confident saying this because no one could ever prove or disprove my theory!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote