HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffoon Call On Boogaard By NHL Referee Could Have Cost MZA his Career Video

Old
09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Buffoon Call On Boogaard By NHL Referee Could Have Cost MZA his Career Video

Better late than never. this call infuriated me to no end last week, and what gets me Sam and Joe defended the call and chico of all people questioned it.

Ranger Crisis.com

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:44 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Overreaction much? Welcome to the NHL pal. Where physical play is at times accompanied with dirty play. You're talking as if MZA got his knees blasted. Let's simmer down a little.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:14 PM
h0ckeyman

Boogaard wants to "Beat his banana"..???

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:34 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Good call, mouth. It's a sad joke. Nobody gave a rat's ass about Luke Richardson headhunting, and Hextall acting like a samurai, and Tony Granato getting knocked into the next decade, and now all of a sudden, the dirty play continues, yet the NHL has to show they care by cracking down on fighting.

No accountability anymore. Friggin sad. The Wussification isnt just in hockey. It's in every aspect of society. That's why I'm raising my kids like it's 1955.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Balej20*

Amen Mouth. This league is becoming a joke.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Hey mouth great points as always. I was on the phone today talking to Chico about some of his comments last week and this play came up and my God Chico was pissed. Chico is a homer on TV but he is a old school hockey guy and he was upset to no end over the call on Boogy. He could not believe that he got a misconduct for pushing of all things. Chico agreed that with the instigator rule that players can not police themselves and this causes frustration and stick work.
He thinks that Kovy should have been called for something when he punched Avery and can't understand how Clarkson when without a call either. LeBlond proved he was scared of Boogy all last week and man did it show.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:23 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Matt Cooke can hunt heads, but DB can't brush shoulders with leblond ?

granted it was before the faceoff, but still

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Chimp

I don't think there can be a single hockey fan, regardless of team, that agrees with that call. I don't think it can get more ridiculous than that.

We're in for a looong season with an unnerving amount of made up, biased bullcrap calls on Boogaard and Avery.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-30-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:18 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

new name for the penalty box this season:

The Boo Box

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:24 AM
jb**

That is a total disgrace. What will happen when the rangers play the pens, game misconduct? These owners have allowed this to happen. Really sad.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:01 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

I agree with ya Mouth.

Game has changed. Its not the same style I was watching 18-20 years ago.

And his name is Le-***** because that's what he is.

UnderPSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Agree with you on this one Mouth. The call was just terrible.

Bettmans hit to hurt list was a flat out joke. And If I remember right the first three players on the list were all Rangers...

Boogaard
Hollweg
Simon

They all became marked men after that and were rendered uneffective.

Even though its only the pre-season the call the other night on Boogey was just rediculous, and if that is a sign of things to come in the NHL I am seriously going think scaling back a bit on this game. It's always been a tough sport for tough boys. Taking the tough out of the game is going to bury it even more down the popularity charts. Not a good thing especially when the CBA is coming to an end.

But...to make things even worse is Chico is just an idiot. Seriously, how does this guy have a job? He makes the biggest stink about Avery not fighting Clarkson and then comments on how Pierre Luc shouldn't fight Boogey becuase Boogey is bigger. Clarkson is what 6'2...Avery is 5'11??? Isn't that the same thing?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

As I'm reading your article I realized I was thinking along the same line at the moment it was going on.

I'm coming into the room from the kitchen and I hear the a misconduct is called andsee Boogy walking off ice. So i'm like "what did I miss?". I watch the replay and see. . . NOTHING. I'm watching Lablond and Boogy jawing alittle and I see the ref throw up his damb arms. A 10min misconduct for this crap. And sure a ***** that chicken dukie Lablond who all night had puppy dog eyes everytime Boogy lind up next to him, went and deliberatly tried to hurt the smallest guy on the ice, knowing full well he was in the clear for the rest of the game.

I'm not going to start the whole NYR ref bias thing again, because at least one bozo will get on here and go soup to nuts about me being paranoid. But it's funny how most teams have agitators and fighters but some how Avery & Boogy get phantom calls based on reputation alone before they even do anything.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:02 AM
ogie

Mouth you almost killed me when i almost choked to death on my bagel when watching this. thats definitely a 10 minute misconduct.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Scooter17

That call was ridiculous but I don't think thats why MZA almost got creamed. He almost got creamed because he cut across the middle of the ice with the puck carelessly.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Mouth is right on the money with this one! That call is an embarrassment.

The Owners and Bettman are destroying this league and have been doing so for way too long.

And what occured with that Avery/Clarksson/UpChuck incident, is equally disgraceful and corrupt.

This league only knows how to further embarrass itself and further expose itself for the bush league it really is. I hate what they're doing to the game.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
haveandare

Personally, I think this is more of a Boogaard problem than a league problem. Or more of an issue of blatantly biased refereeing against specific players than anything else.

For Boogey, specifically, he is in an awkward position because of the way that the rules are going and because of his specific size and skill set. The league doesn't want "staged" fights off the face off - they've said this clearly. Yes, its stupid. Yes, it diminishes the role of the enforcer. I'm not arguing any of that. However, the role of any player is to do your job within the rules of the game (or to break them with some level of sneakiness) whether you agree with them or not. Luckily for most enforcers, there is an obvious way to get around this rule - fight away from the face off circle. The problem with Boogey is that he probably the easiest fighter to avoid fighting and its always easier to avoid confrontation when you have the whole ice surface to hide. So, Boogey can't fight off the faceoff, and as we've already seen in 4 preseason games, Boogey is easy to avoid fighting because he's huge and that gives players and obnoxious announcers the "size mismatch" excuse to use and because he's not a great skater and, most importantly, he's not a very good agitator. One thing that is not new to the game is that you need to get your opponent to drop them with you. You can't just pummel an unwilling player and I'm not sure that you ever could, but feel free to correct me as I'm just a young grasshopper. The problem is, Boogey isn't the kind of guy who chirps well enough that he can get guys willing to fight someone so much bigger than them and he's not such a good skater that he can go out and routinely lay huge hits on the opponent in order to sort of force their guys to fight him and get him to back off.

Yes, he's "the best fighter" but that doesn't mean anything at all if he can't get anybody to engage him. People say, well, there's always the threat of him. No, there's clearly not. If you're Leblonde or a guy like that, a regular sized, not well known "tough guy," there is almost no threat from Boogaard because he doesn't attack your team enough to make you have to fight him and he's not going to raise your ire enough to get you to lose your head. In hindsight, he was a pretty terrible decision. I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg here. There will be a ton more guys avoiding Boogey and a ton more BS calls against him as the season progresses. It might sound silly, but Torts should seriously have Avery teach Boogey how to agitate better. If he could get under the opponent's skin like Avery can, he'd fight a lot more and people would be a lot less excited to play the new york rangers.

This call is absolute garbage, no question about that. At no point does it seem obvious that Boogey is going to force Leblonde into fighting him. It's merely a push, something that goes on more often than not and something that would never, ever be called a penalty if it were done by anybody but Boogey or maybe Avery. Did anybody notice that Prust fought off the face off earlier in this same game and neither him nor his opponent were given the extra penalty? Odd. But, not really.

This is where my point about biased refereeing against specific players comes in to the discussion. There are two players that the referees don't care for on this NYR team. Its very, very obvious that they are keeping a watchful eye on both Avery and Boogaard and are willing to connect the dots in anyway that can potentially lead to something somewhat like a play deserving a penalty for the two of them. This frustrates me to no end. THIS is the problem with the league in my opinion. If they want to scale back on staged fights or whatever, I think thats a bad idea, but its ultimately their decision. If they were willing to enforce whatever bogus rules they want to evenly to all players on all teams, that would be one thing. But, thats not even close to what's going on here. The referee's know exactly who they can bully and they're getting away with it because nobody is willing to call them out.

Torts and/or Sather need to get behind a mic and say " The referees are blatantly biased against specific players in this league, two of which are on our team, and its not fair to them as individuals or to their teams as organizations. " They represent the NEW YORK RANGERS, an original 6 team, one of the most well known sports franchises on the entire planet. They need to man up and call the referees out while its still preseason and doesn't come off as some desperation move to win more games. I don't think it'd hurt the franchise one bit as long as they made it clear that other players on other teams are victim of the same BS and that it's already far worse this year than its been in recent memory.

I know that its utopian to think that all rules can be enforced fairly no matter what. I'm not even asking that of the refs. I just ask that they follow the rule book. Its not against the rules to goad a superstar into punching you. Thats not in the book. It IS against the rules to go third man in like Clarkson did. That is in the book. Both of those calls were based on character, not on the rules, and thats where the refs are losing credibility. Another example, if it is against the rules to fight off a face off, Prust or his partner should have gotten a call, if its not, Boogey shouldn't have.

I'm not asking for perfection, but I do expect at least come cohesion between the calls and the written rules throughout a game. If thats a pipe dream, which it seems to be at this point, something need to be said.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Pizza

Good take mouth.

blondie has it coming.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:32 AM
SomE

The job of an enforcer isn't necessarily to fight. It's to protect his teammates. Boogaard could go the whole year without a single fight and still do a good job. It's great that no one wants to fight him.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 02:17 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

that was a ridiculous call.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Better late than never. this call infuriated me to no end last week, and what gets me Sam and Joe defended the call and chico of all people questioned it.

Ranger Crisis.com

Nice article dude. Definitely a good read.

This league is becoming a double standard. That kind of stuff didn't even get you a penalty 15 years ago.

god I miss the real NHL

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Hey mouth great points as always. I was on the phone today talking to Chico about some of his comments last week and this play came up and my God Chico was pissed. Chico is a homer on TV but he is a old school hockey guy and he was upset to no end over the call on Boogy. He could not believe that he got a misconduct for pushing of all things. Chico agreed that with the instigator rule that players can not police themselves and this causes frustration and stick work.
He thinks that Kovy should have been called for something when he punched Avery and can't understand how Clarkson when without a call either. LeBlond proved he was scared of Boogy all last week and man did it show.
hey 3 way call me next time

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote