HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Finish Their Home Pre-Season Games With SO Win

Old
10-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Finish Their Home Pre-Season Games With SO Win

The Rangers completed their successful home portion of the pre-season with a 5-4 shootout victory over the Ottawa Senators tonight. New York won each of the pre-season games in Madison Square Garden this year, defeating the Devils, the Red Wings, and the Sens. In this evening’s game, Ottawa put some of their [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:42 AM
FOXHOUND*

so, stepan made it?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Not officially, but, if there is no change in personnel between now and Sunday, I would be shocked if he was reassigned.

Old
10-02-2010, 02:10 AM
FOXHOUND*

leslie, always a pleasure thank you

Old
10-02-2010, 02:13 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

how about that 4th line! with Drury and Prospal injured, I could see White getting cut and Fedotenko signed. Although if they really wanted to, they could carry all remaining 14 forwards and make cuts and those two return, although I'm feeling like Prospal would be better off getting surgery. It just sounds like an injury that will nag him all season and leave us fans complaining about his "down year." Defense on the other hand still seems like a big question mark!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:42 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

it was an entertaining game

stephan did have a terrible turnover in the game that resulted in an odd man rush the other way, but hopefully you chalk it up to the learning process

overall I was impressed by Prust with some nifty passing, and Dubisnky although it appears Brandon is a half step off his game at this point in the preseason

very unimpressed with MDZ's game. I felt he tried to push things instead of letting the play develop. He is a core player for NY but if he is going to force things its going to be a long season for him.

Christensen's shootout goal was pretty sweet

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Not officially, but, if there is no change in personnel between now and Sunday, I would be shocked if he was reassigned.
You can't send him down right now. He clearly deserves a spot, subject to his regular season performance. If he gets sent down now, it will sour all other rookies who will play in the coming years.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
very unimpressed with MDZ's game. I felt he tried to push things instead of letting the play develop. He is a core player for NY but if he is going to force things its going to be a long season for him.

Yeah, I'm kinda scared this might be his sophomore slump.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:59 AM
eco's bones

With Prospal out at least for a short while--I don't see the Rangers cutting more than one forward for now. Ottawa dressed a pretty good team--their defense NHL guys so it was a good test. I think Fedotenko is going to get signed. Stepan is ready as far as I'm concerned. Boyle, Prust, Boogaard appear to me to be a 4th line in the making. The bubble guys as far as I'm concerned are White and Kennedy. I expect both of them to be in the lineup tonight and they'll both need to play very well.

I didn't notice McDonagh all that much. I don't know if I'd say he had an up and down game. More like a steady game. Eminger had his problems especially with Spezza. Basically a case could be mae for all the bubble defensemen to stay but two will have to go. I think McDonagh more than any of them has the inside track. It's going to be a tough decision.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:42 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Assuming White & Eminger are cut (which I am not sure is going to be the case - but both may start the year in Hartford - we shall see)

We have 25 players left vying for 23 spots ( assuming F tank gets a contract)
Drury and Prospal will be out for a couple weeks it seems - but will either be placed on IR list? I think not. Isnīt this for a 10 game minimum - which neither at this point seem to be heading towards.

This means in reality that we will see one additional FW and one Defender cut on Sunday - in addition to White and Eminger (if that is the case*) leaving the squad. Very interesting scenario approaching.
Gotta believe a trade is coming. A surprising one too.
Souray on re-entry is not an option imo because he will most likely get claimed before the nr 10 slot.
Who is coming - who is going?
Time will tell - but there are grounds for massive speculation here the next 36 hours...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Frolov ($3.000m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.821m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Pavel Fedotenko ($0.750m??)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Vaclav Prospal ($2.480m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Tim Kennedy ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m) / Mike Sauer ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,526,667; BONUSES: $2,465,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $3,338,333

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 06:22 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
You can't send him down right now. He clearly deserves a spot, subject to his regular season performance. If he gets sent down now, it will sour all other rookies who will play in the coming years.
Letting a 20 year old player develop in the minors is hardly souring him. That being said I hope he makes it but if not it's not the end of the world. It may even be better for him.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

stephan did have a terrible turnover in the game that resulted in an odd man rush the other way, but hopefully you chalk it up to the learning process

overall I was impressed by Prust with some nifty passing, and Dubisnky although it appears Brandon is a half step off his game at this point in the preseason

I thought this was Prusts best game in the preseason. I was wondering if maybe he would have been one of the odd men out? Last year he was reaching big time popularity at the end of the sdeason, but in preseason so far he's been somewhat quiet. Yesterday he was real good.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 07:00 AM
AJRanger

Loved that 4th line last night. Boogaard served a purpose and did his job, Prust was excellent and Boyle continues to have a solid pre-season. Wouldn't break them up moving forward.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Letting a 20 year old player develop in the minors is hardly souring him. That being said I hope he makes it but if not it's not the end of the world. It may even be better for him.
I think that the problem is that based on his camp and preseason play, you just can't justify sending Stepan down at this point. What else can he possibly do to prove he's ready? I mean, yeah I guess he could dominate and put up like 10 points in 5 games, but 4 in 4 is pretty damn good

I really think Christensen's spot might be in jeopardy, though I don't think they'll cut him. I think Stepan's overall play has been better, though Christensen showed he can still make some nice plays. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stepan start on the top line for a little bit, with Christensen a scratch or fit in somewhere else for awhile. Keep him around as insurance if Stepan struggles.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:14 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

its an echo comment

but I really think this is a good problem to have

last year NY didn't have these issues

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

damm i really want to see boogaards goal

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
damm i really want to see boogaards goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6saiGZaUW_U

It's in there, the third Rangers goal

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:20 AM
JimmyStart*

Just wish the article would've expanded on the up and down nature of the competing D-men. I saw some good plays and some awful plays (Mostly by Eminger tho) and would've liked to see someone elses opinion in writing about it.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I agree, Prust had a good game. had the primary assist on both 4th line goals.

I'm starting to feel that Kennedy will start the season a healthy scratch. Its unfortunate because I like his game, but it had to happen to somebody.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

It's Stepan.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Nyrfan25

vCash: 707
LOL
Stall
Rosival
Stephan
Lundquist
Dubinski

They all crack me up.

Nyrfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:04 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrfan25 View Post
LOL
Stall
Rosival
Stephan
Lundquist
Dubinski

They all crack me up.
Seriously?

S-T-A-A-L
S-T-E-P-A-N

Old
10-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Just wish the article would've expanded on the up and down nature of the competing D-men. I saw some good plays and some awful plays (Mostly by Eminger tho) and would've liked to see someone elses opinion in writing about it.
Sorry, it was very late at night. I was unimpressed with Del Zotto's play last night--both on the power play and at even strength. Too many home run passes attempted, as well as positioning issues on D. McDonagh was up and down as was expected of a rookie. Eminger had an okay first period and then not so much. I still think that Staal is making up for his lack of work in camp during the negotiations. Some very good plays and some unusual disasters for him. Gilroy had the usual defensive issues, and was jumping into the play less. On the other hand, I do not remember worrying about his play as I sometimes have in the past. Girardi was not paired with Staal for most of the night and often had to try to compensate for his "new" partner. But I am confident that he will be okay during the season.

That's just my rough impressions. Sorry for the informal nature, but hope it helps.

Last edited by Leslie Treff: 10-02-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old
10-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Nyrfan25

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Seriously?

S-T-A-A-L
S-T-E-P-A-N
Seriously !

Staal