HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Core strengthening

Old
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Core strengthening

Core strength is IMO quite important for hockey (general balance/sturdiness on your skates, you should be engaging your core when shooting, etc.), but I've never found any core exercises that I really enjoy doing, so as a result I neglect my abs and obliques more than any other area of my body. At the moment I'm doing crunches, reverse crunches and side bends, but don't really enjoy any of them (and I do enjoy pretty much every other exercise I do in the gym), any tips on exercises that are both fun and good for improving strength?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:06 AM
mbowman

as corny as it may sound, look up some of the p90x ab workouts online. you can download torrents of them, or maybe find clips on youtube. there's some killer core workouts in there, that are much more fun/interesting than regular crunches. my rugby team's been doing a bit of them, and holy balls it works well.

good luck!

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:23 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

plank.

more plank.

iron gym (doorway pull up contraption)
-do chin-ups slowly holding at the top. you'll feel it. one-time $30 cost and it'll help biceps, back and overall upper body.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Ricky Bobby

There is so many different ab exercises that are out there.

Abs can be worked out far more frequently than other muscle groups. I tend to always work in some abs in between other muscle group sets instead of just standing around at the gym.

Some of my personal favourites (forgive me if I'm using the wrong names) are:

1. The Plank (go on the top of your toes, and forearms with your elbows forming a straight line from your shoulders to the ground and make sure your back is straight). Hold for as long as you can.

2. Flap Jacks: Lay flat on your back with arms fully extended behind your head. Then raise both your arms and legs at the same time then back down (but not quite all the way down). Then back up. You'll start to feel it working after going up and do 2 or 3 times.

3. Crunches on the decline bench. Look your legs in and then go. This one should be self-explanatory.

If your still lost for exercises pick up a Mens Health they seem to have the next greatest core workout in almost every issue with step by step directions.

If any of the exercises are unclear just watch other people at your gym do ab exercises and your bound to see some of them.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Blueland89

I do this a lot

Get down on a bench with a bar set up for your bench press. keep legs straight out not touching the ground (like your going to do the 6 inches thing) hold the bench press at to top of the lift arms straight up and do leg raises up and down. it works chest, arms, abs. Awesome workout.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:18 AM
beth

At my gym, they have a "Core & More" class that so far seems like it will totally help me in hockey...lots of core work, balance, and lunges/squats. One thing I've noticed though, is that the exercises that seem to do the most for your core are the ones that are not very much fun! Like, she has us do these sideways v sit-ups that kill me. Also, anything with that damned stability ball.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:43 PM
PuckHogs29

Check this article out.

http://www.kevinneeld.com/2010/off-i...-core-training

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:13 PM
fortinbras

If you have access to cable machines, try some wood choppers/reverse wood choppers. Read up on them - you have to keep form to get the most out of the exercise and not hurt your lower back, but they will work your core in a way similar to many of the twisting motions common in hockey.

Also, I hate doing them, but russian twists with a medicine ball or barbell weight are good too.

fortinbras is offline   Reply With Quote