HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Power Play strategies

Old
10-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Power Play strategies

Did anyone notice the Habs have changed their PP philosophy somewhat. They still use the same positioning and cycle, but with the addition of Subban, and the lack of a definitive left hand shot, they seem to have added the component of permutation of positions to get a better yeild.

Last night I noticed many wingers making the switch on the point with Subban going full center in the slot, which is where he is highly effective in his positioning, it worked less well, when he ended-up on the left wing, but yeilded a goal from the left side of the blueline, when he was on point shot.

It might take some time to adjust and get proper results, but I'm not too worried about the PP working out in the end. Habs always seem to find a solution.

Any thoughts?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
the vinyl version

Isn't it similar to the system Boucher used in Hamilton and the WJHC when Subban played?

the vinyl version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Iwishihadacup

our best strategy is Markov

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Isn't it similar to the system Boucher used in Hamilton and the WJHC when Subban played?
I don't remember well enough, although I do remember Subban being often in the slot in both the AHL and the WJC, but in the AHL, he was more often on the left side of the blueline.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
our best strategy is Markov
Can't wait for Markov to try the right side again with Subban on the left side. Both of them have a really good shot and can pass very well.

Maybe, they'll use them on different lines too.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't remember well enough, although I do remember Subban being often in the slot in both the AHL and the WJC, but in the AHL, he was more often on the left side of the blueline.
In the WJC Subban was always played in the slot in the PP while Ellis (i think) ran the PP. It was insanely effective actually because Ellis has amazing vision and Subban was basically allowed to roam around and do whatever he wanted.

Pre-season, either by default or on his own it looked like Subban was roaming more than the usual Habs PP defensemen.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Can't wait for Markov to try the right side again with Subban on the left side. Both of them have a really good shot and can pass very well.

Maybe, they'll use them on different lines too.
It'll be interested seeing as how Markov has pretty well always manned the left point... Although I think he could do very well on the right point, Markov has a pretty accurate and underated shot.. It might keep the forwards honest knowing that either Subban or Markov could at any time beat them 1-on-1 with a move, or a pass, or a shot. We haven't had that dimension... ever?

I like the idea of having Subban/Gionta on the left side and Markov/Cammalleri on the right side, it will open up diagonal passing lanes at times for one-timers with the off-wing shooters down low.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
It'll be interested seeing as how Markov has pretty well always manned the left point... Although I think he could do very well on the right point, Markov has a pretty accurate and underated shot.. It might keep the forwards honest knowing that either Subban or Markov could at any time beat them 1-on-1 with a move, or a pass, or a shot. We haven't had that dimension... ever?

I like the idea of having Subban/Gionta on the left side and Markov/Cammalleri on the right side, it will open up diagonal passing lanes at times for one-timers with the off-wing shooters down low.
I remember at the start of the 2008-2009 season, Carbonneau played Tanguay at the left point and Markov at the right point and the powerplay wasn't as effective because they couldn't set up that pass to Kovalev at the right circle. Also, Markov didn't look as comfortable on that side of the ice.

Maybe with a new lineup and a new philosophy things will change tho.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote