HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan making the team- Why not?

Old
09-19-2010, 12:10 PM
dynamoovechkin

vCash: 500
Stepan making the team- Why not?

OK, I know he is a young player who could use some seasoning in the AHL to get used to the pro game, but humor me for a moment.

The guy is a gifted player, and with all due respect to Kreider, is the best prospect in our system. He has shown great offensive ability, high hockey IQ, is a leader and a winner. I saw in the first scrimmage that he was centering Gabby and Frolov, and that line went off.

Why not Stepan? We are in the middle of a youth movement anyway, we are starved for center icemen. I am rooting for the kid to make the team even though he may not have an NHL body just yet.

Shoeny even said he was one of the best players in Traverse City. I am hoping he shines in the preseason and forces his way onto the team. Does anybody really think that the best thing for his development is to play in Hartford?

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:26 PM
ThirdEye

If we were a legit contender this season then I would rather he polish his skills in Hartford. However, realistically we would be happy to even squeeze into the playoffs this season, therefore I hope he starts with the big club and takes notes from guys like Gaborik rather than the far inferior players in Hartford.

If he can't handle it then send him down. No harm no foul

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:26 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Come join us in the GDT thread

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:27 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
OK, I know he is a young player who could use some seasoning in the AHL to get used to the pro game, but humor me for a moment.

The guy is a gifted player, and with all due respect to Kreider, is the best prospect in our system. He has shown great offensive ability, high hockey IQ, is a leader and a winner. I saw in the first scrimmage that he was centering Gabby and Frolov, and that line went off.

Why not Stepan? We are in the middle of a youth movement anyway, we are starved for center icemen. I am rooting for the kid to make the team even though he may not have an NHL body just yet.

Shoeny even said he was one of the best players in Traverse City. I am hoping he shines in the preseason and forces his way onto the team. Does anybody really think that the best thing for his development is to play in Hartford?
If he earns it, its his, i have no problem with that. There is noone he would be replacing that i'd miss. That seems to be the attitude of the organization.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:57 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Thought I read in another thread he had a hard time being bumped off the puck by othe college players, but compensated with his smarts and passing skills. If true that doesnt translate well to the NHL, see Anisimov, Artem.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
Thought I read in another thread he had a hard time being bumped off the puck by othe college players, but compensated with his smarts and passing skills. If true that doesnt translate well to the NHL, see Anisimov, Artem.
And yet most of us believe that Anisimovs rookie season was successful and we are contemplating playing him on the top two lines with some of our best players.

Yeah, if Stepan pulls an "Anisimov," I wouldnt be angry...

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:15 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:

I think in the Staff's mind right now, he's already made the team. I think it's more of a case of him doing something that makes him 'lose' the spot than it is him earning it anymore. I have 100% confidence in saying that.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Stepan reminds me of Mike York. not the same type of player but in the sense that he wont need much time in the AHL either. York also played hockey in college and didnt play much in the AHL when he came up with the Rangers

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
And yet most of us believe that Anisimovs rookie season was successful and we are contemplating playing him on the top two lines with some of our best players.

I think Asimov looked lost most of the time and he's going to be another highly touted supposedly talented Ranger that can't make it in the NHL.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I think Asimov looked lost most of the time and he's going to be another highly touted supposedly talented Ranger that can't make it in the NHL.
I think Asimov spent too much time writing books. Nerd.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He's played 1 season at this level and already he "can't make it in the NHL"?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
I think you don't watch much hockey when a successful rookie (two-way player nonetheless) steps in and contributes 30 points, solid hockey, solid strength, and has a massive body.

If he's not going to make it in the NHL, who is? You can't ask for much more. He wasn't a 1st overall pick, he's not going to step in with PPG numbers right away.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:33 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

I'm sorry I didnt write a 4 page sonopsus on Artem Anisimov for the comparison I made to Stepan.

Pretty sure it was a common consensus that Artem had a great rookie year and his only downfall was not being strong and getting knocked off the puck.

Please, by all means, explain to me where in my post I slagged Artem or implied that his season was unsuccesful, or my displeasure with it.

I love when people on here get all high and mighty and just assume the worst without comprehending what was written.

Last edited by x BEUKEBOOM x: 09-19-2010 at 01:41 PM.
x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
I lol'ed. At 22, he was fantastic at both ends of the ice. I find that more impressive than a 40 point season where everyone would have fallen in love with him.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

Dude puts up 12G, 16A mainly playing on the 3rd and 4th line as a rookie and 10 minutes of ice time and you come up with that?

Give. Me. A. Break.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:37 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:

Ya know, till Leslie's article, I didn't seriously entertain the idea of Stepan playing in the NHL this season--even on a fourth line. Then I read something to the effect of, "coaches want to see if Stepan can center the first line."

If he's so head-and-shoulders above the TC prospects, if he was well over a PPG in NCAA, if he led Team USA to WJC gold... who am I to have little faith. dude might really step up. For what it's worth, reports say he was good in the scrimmage today. Yeah, it's a scrimmage, but the fact that he can keep up with a top10-15 NHLer says a lot.

So I'm on the Stepan bandwagon. What can it hurt? Kid is only 20. If he can't come on right away like Bergeron or Paul Stastny did, so what? Send him to Hartford. Did anyone think we were a playoffs-bound team, let alone a contender? 'Cause I didn't.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If he earns a spot...let it ride.

The management has designed a lot of competition for camp. Lots of players hungry for a job, some pressure. Nice mix of kids and vets..

If he earns it so be it...good news

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I'm so torn... As a Ranger fan I would really enjoy seeing him out on the ice but I really want him and Grachev to play together in Hartford and I think it would be better for Stepan's development to tear it up in the AHL for at least half the season before coming up to the NHL level as a main-stay...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This is just like the end of the Neil Smith era when kids were pushed onto the Rangers roster and had their careers crippled.

Quote:

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post

Dude puts up 12G, 16A mainly playing on the 3rd and 4th line as a rookie and 10 minutes of ice time and you come up with that?

Give. Me. A. Break.

the kid didnt miss a game...killed penalties ...and played his ass off...only a Ranger fan would find fault....most negative fan base in sports. Any wonder why this franchise has been so hesitant to try a youth movement in the past.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I think in the Staff's mind right now, he's already made the team. I think it's more of a case of him doing something that makes him 'lose' the spot than it is him earning it anymore. I have 100% confidence in saying that.

If you are right, it's scary. How can the team decide before the preseason, before he played a single game of pro hockey even at minor league level, before he proved anything, how can the team decide he's already made the team?

He's a 20-year-old college boy. A good NCAA season and WJC tournament does not make one an NHL player.

Unless he comes in and overwhelms us like MDZ did last year, he should spend the season in the AHL.

May I remind you of last year's expectations of Grachev? When I said that people should've overrate his 80 point CHL performance, I was attacked on all sides.

Quote:
He already made the NHL and will stick around a few years, but I don't see him being a difference-making player, not unless he gets tougher and starts winning battles in the corners and around the net.

He'll need to gain 15 points without losing any of his speed if he wants to be a top-6 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
I love when people on here get all high and mighty and just assume the worst without comprehending what was written.

Well... how else are they going to feel good about themselves if they can't degrade others? Naturally, they need to look for every opportunity to laugh at and accuse others. To maximize the times when they can do this, the key is refusing to comprehend what was actually written, and go on the self-righteous attack by misstating what the original poster meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
So I'm on the Stepan bandwagon. What can it hurt? Kid is only 20. If he can't come on right away like Bergeron or Paul Stastny did, so what? Send him to Hartford. Did anyone think we were a playoffs-bound team, let alone a contender? 'Cause I didn't.
Let's do this. Let's see how he performs in preseason, then we talk about the NHL. I am all for letting him stay with the team until the last week of the training camp, but I want him to perform MDZ style if he's to make the Rangers.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 02:45 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Let's do this. Let's see how he performs in preseason, then we talk about the NHL. I am all for letting him stay with the team until the last week of the training camp, but I want him to perform MDZ style if he's to make the Rangers.
Didn't I kinda say that? Not saying he deserves a spot based on merit, but if he is as advanced as people have said, there is a good shot he'll make it... MDZ only made te team based on the conditioning and energy he showed, and if I'm not mistaken Gilroy showed more polished skill off the hop--expectations were that Gilroy would be the more productive rookie. Del Zotto also put up most of his points early; it was "piss & vinegar" effect that brought him success early. then reality sunk in.

And that's not saying MDZ isn't and won't be a good player, but his preseason in '09 shouldn't be how we measure whether or not a rookie is ready.

You know, it doesn't necessarily destroy a kid to play him early. Two examples in Stastny and Bergeron, comparable, smart, two-way players that were able to handle it 'cause they were mature.

You can't say it'd be advisable to throw a kid like McIlrath, or even Kreider, out there for 20 min. a night, but I do think the idea of HURTING a kid by playing him early is a bit blown out of proportion. A player is sensitive, I know, and development is a "delicate" thing, but they aren't sissies.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its a dangerous line to walk...MDZ was a case where he had nothing to learn in juniors, so if you protected him by playing him mostly PP minutes and try to hold back on his PK and ES time, you can let him learn. Asking Stepan to center a top line as a rookie...thats really really scary. there is no place for him to hide there...granted the 2 wingers hes playing with will make it easier, and hes a pretty good player.

Personally speaking if it were me, hed be in Hartford.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:27 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If you are right, it's scary. How can the team decide before the preseason, before he played a single game of pro hockey even at minor league level, before he proved anything, how can the team decide he's already made the team?

He's a 20-year-old college boy. A good NCAA season and WJC tournament does not make one an NHL player.

Unless he comes in and overwhelms us like MDZ did last year, he should spend the season in the AHL.

May I remind you of last year's expectations of Grachev? When I said that people should've overrate his 80 point CHL performance, I was attacked on all sides.
Nothing scary about it. It's called having faith in someone.

And like I said, it's more a case of him losing the spot. If preseason games come and go and he walks swiftly into the realm of obscurity, well then duh his spot is gone. But if he continues to handle the challenge as he has without making any glaring errors; then you can bank on him being on the roster.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:54 PM
haveandare

If he outplays everyone else at his position, which I don't think is too unreasonable given the options at center, he will and should make the team. The idea that skipping the AHL ruins a player is blown totally out of proportion here. You got the AHL to get ready for the NHL, if you're already ready for the big league it's unnecessary.

Torts and Sather have both stuck to the same script regarding who makes the team. They want young guys, they want guys that are going to be smart, work hard and be good leaders. Stepan is all of those things. If he can prove that he's also one of the best centers on the team, then he'll be in the NYR jersey to start the season.

The idea that coming from this league or that league, or being this age or that age is the ultimate factor in determining where one plays is ridiculous. Everyone complains about wanting a number 1 center, now we have a guy who has a shadow of a chance of being that and people want to keep him in the AHL even if he's better than that?

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote