HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Prospects-Major Junior (CHL), NCAA, Europe

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2011, 03:30 PM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Bah, his own defender screened him. Bad luck on that goal given up.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Bah, his own defender screened him. Bad luck on that goal given up.
at least our second rounder scored the goal.

Old
12-26-2011, 04:06 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
at least our second rounder scored the goal.
Ha, like I said, I don't know much about our prospects.

Old
12-26-2011, 05:37 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
:snip:
Good to know, but I was looking more for the players taking part in the WJC.

Old
12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Visentin needs to continue to work on not losing his net when he slides across the crease and he goes down a bit early on the mid to longer range shots and that cost him the one goal today. That said this game should help him to get his confidence back.

Gormley looked really good, solid defensively and made some reallly good passes. If OEL and Rundblad work well I can see Gormley being a great partner for Yandle in a couple of years.

Old
12-26-2011, 08:23 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Visentin needs to continue to work on not losing his net when he slides across the crease and he goes down a bit early on the mid to longer range shots and that cost him the one goal today. That said this game should help him to get his confidence back.

Gormley looked really good, solid defensively and made some reallly good passes. If OEL and Rundblad work well I can see Gormley being a great partner for Yandle in a couple of years.
Outside of the goal, how did Ruutu play?

Old
12-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Outside of the goal, how did Ruutu play?
Outside of the goal I didn't really notice him at all. Of course that would be the case for almost all of the Fins in this game.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Gormley looks big out there. Much longer, and rangier than I expected. Not fast really, but quick in all directions. Positioning and passing was superb. Excellent at cutting down angles, keeping his stick in lanes, and seperating the puck from the man.

I was expecting a young Yandle, but I saw something more like a young Michalek.

12-28-2011, 02:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Outside of the goal I didn't really notice him at all. Of course that would be the case for almost all of the Fins in this game.
Agreed. Very pretty goal. Utterly invisible otherwise. That said, even Granlund failed to impress.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Against the US, Ruuttu was again thoroughly invisible. I kept a close eye on number nine, all night. Extremely disengaged, passive, on the perimeter spectator. Just doesn't get involved at all in anything. Total passenger.

Gormley against the Czechs was again very, very solid. Just very intelligent, calm, smooth play. Uses his stick really well, and knows how to position himself. Never over commits. He's the best PKer on team Canada. Ray Ferraro stated that Gormley hoped to make the team in Phoenix this year, wanted to get stronger in preparation for a full season in the NHL, and as a result, came to camp too heavy. He had to go back to Jr. and work off a lot of excess muscle. He really doesn't have tremendous skating speed, and will definitely need to remain a wirey kind of guy, to maintain his quickness.

One thing I just love about him on the power play is that he never takes a slapshot. I HATE the slapshot from the blueline on the PP. You are not going to score from there in 2012. Shot goes wide, waaay too hard and clears itself out of the zone. Derek Morris is the perfect example of this. He's so damn proud of that worthless, super hard slapshot on the pp. He's the best PKer for the other team every time he unleashes that stupid god damned rocket shot of his. Gormley is too smart for that ****. Gormley throws a weak, accurate, wrist shot straight to the front of the net. Zero intention of actually scoring a goal with the shot, but it always gets through and never misses high or wide. It just puts the puck right in front of the goal and past the PKers.

We should call up Gormley to be our special teams coach. He seems to actually understand what a successful post-lock out powerplay is supposed to look like. Our goof balls all seem to think they are either Al MacInnis or Brett Hull. This is not 1994. Those guys don't exist in this game anymore. You can't play like a comic book character with one super special super power.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

I'm really happy with what I've seen from Gormley. He looks like a guy with a skillset that will fit in perfectly with Tippett and the other set of d that look like the guys that will be the core top 4. Best overall d-man on the best team so far in the WJC and is being trusted with PP, PK and lots of even up ice.

As for Visentin, if we want to see much more of him I would suggest we watch tonight. Barring a collapse from Wedgewood it might be the last we see of him in this tournament.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
ducky

Agreed.

Gormley has been rock solid. And he can play the right side. He could be an excellent partner for Yandle next year.

Visentin looks lost. No confidence.

I thought Ruutu looked ok. He really stuck to his position, I thought. I thought he was supposed to be physical but he is not at all. I dont think I saw him even bump someone.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:01 PM
hbk

Nice to see Connor Murphy back in action last night. No points and a minus 1. Needs to get in game shape.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Nice to see Connor Murphy back in action last night. No points and a minus 1. Needs to get in game shape.
Thank god. This kid misses one more minute of development time and he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being a pro. Every single variable in his career from this moment on must go his way if he's going to make it. Just one more unlucky break and you can put a fork in him. He better average thirty minutes a game by January.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Agreed.

Gormley has been rock solid. And he can play the right side. He could be an excellent partner for Yandle next year.

Visentin looks lost. No confidence.

I thought Ruutu looked ok. He really stuck to his position, I thought. I thought he was supposed to be physical but he is not at all. I dont think I saw him even bump someone.
Ruuttu stuck to his position for sure. He just stood there, in his position, just standing there. Standing and watching and standing and watching and standing...

Old
12-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Against the US, Ruuttu was again thoroughly invisible. I kept a close eye on number nine, all night. Extremely disengaged, passive, on the perimeter spectator. Just doesn't get involved at all in anything. Total passenger.

Gormley against the Czechs was again very, very solid. Just very intelligent, calm, smooth play. Uses his stick really well, and knows how to position himself. Never over commits. He's the best PKer on team Canada. Ray Ferraro stated that Gormley hoped to make the team in Phoenix this year, wanted to get stronger in preparation for a full season in the NHL, and as a result, came to camp too heavy. He had to go back to Jr. and work off a lot of excess muscle. He really doesn't have tremendous skating speed, and will definitely need to remain a wirey kind of guy, to maintain his quickness.

One thing I just love about him on the power play is that he never takes a slapshot. I HATE the slapshot from the blueline on the PP. You are not going to score from there in 2012. Shot goes wide, waaay too hard and clears itself out of the zone. Derek Morris is the perfect example of this. He's so damn proud of that worthless, super hard slapshot on the pp. He's the best PKer for the other team every time he unleashes that stupid god damned rocket shot of his. Gormley is too smart for that ****. Gormley throws a weak, accurate, wrist shot straight to the front of the net. Zero intention of actually scoring a goal with the shot, but it always gets through and never misses high or wide. It just puts the puck right in front of the goal and past the PKers.

We should call up Gormley to be our special teams coach. He seems to actually understand what a successful post-lock out powerplay is supposed to look like. Our goof balls all seem to think they are either Al MacInnis or Brett Hull. This is not 1994. Those guys don't exist in this game anymore. You can't play like a comic book character with one super special super power.
I only read what you said about Ruutu, and I kind of disagree. I thought he was decent on the rush and showed some good hands. He had two or three solid scoring chances. What I do agree with, is how passive he was. He was absolutely intimidated by the size of team USA. He wanted nothing to do with going into the corners. I saw him backcheck as well. If he picks up his intensity and grows a pair, he might actually turn out to be an NHL player. What that says to me, is that he needs to get over here ASAP and play some NA hockey.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Gormley looks big out there. Much longer, and rangier than I expected. Not fast really, but quick in all directions. Positioning and passing was superb. Excellent at cutting down angles, keeping his stick in lanes, and seperating the puck from the man.

I was expecting a young Yandle, but I saw something more like a young Michalek.
Maybe this is why I'm not as high on him as you guys. I was expecting a two-way defenseman, with some serious offensive talent. If he does turn into a defensive defenseman, it may end up working out better for the 'Yotes. I don't think we need another offensive defenseman.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Maybe this is why I'm not as high on him as you guys. I was expecting a two-way defenseman, with some serious offensive talent. If he does turn into a defensive defenseman, it may end up working out better for the 'Yotes. I don't think we need another offensive defenseman.
Agree, with OEL, Rundblad and Yandle he will be asked to provide complimentary offense only and I think that suits his game perfectly.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:08 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
I guess It's odd how people see players different. I saw Gormley as a guy with that stalwart Michalek like play on Defense but with the potential to rack up 30-35 a year or so. Not at the Yandle/OEL level but a more versatile player.

The Coyotes could use some of that, I'm tired of the guys in fixed roles on defense. I think OEL has the potential to grow into that more so than Yandle because he's such a smart player but that will take more time than with Gormley. It irritates me that when a player goes down like Klesla the team's entire identity on defense collapses because of these guys particular skills being so focused.

Also great news that Murphy is back playing. Kind of gets forgotten in all the Rundblad trade OEL breaking out news.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Gormley really does remind me of Michalek who we have missed DESPERATELY since he left.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:52 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Throwing Ryan Suter out there as another comparable. Although I believe he will be better offensively.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Ruuttu with a goal against the Czechs in Finland's 4-0 victory over them,

Old
01-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Kaibur

Ruuttu with the goal against the Swedes. I think that's 3 so far this tournament. Not bad.

Old
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Ruuttu with the goal against the Swedes. I think that's 3 so far this tournament. Not bad.
Not bad at all, but he's still completely invisible otherwise.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Haha I have French with Zac Larazza

Closed Thread