HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 10/11 Leafs Roster suggestions cont'd

Old
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Call of the loonie

vCash: 50
Your 10/11 Leafs Roster suggestions cont'd

Thought I'd make a new one cause the old one was a fun read.

A re-post of what I think is an accurate representation of our current cap situation.

PlayerCaphitPlayerCaphitPlayerCaphitTotal
x Bozak3.725Kessel5.4009.125
x Grabovski2.900Stalberg0.8503.750
x x x 0.000
Sjostrom0.750x Orr1.0001.750
  Beauchemin3.800Phaneuf6.50010.300
  Kaberle4.250Komisarek4.5008.750
  Gunnarsson0.800Schenn2.9753.775
    Finger3.5003.500
    Giguere 6.000 
    Gustavsson1.3507.350

Tucker 1.000
     Total49.300
     Space7.500

If the cap goes up 2M and
If the NHLPA votes to extend the CBA, giving us 7.5% of Max cap bonus cushion (4.41M @ 58.8 max cap) and
If Finger is put somewhere else on opening day:
We would have a cap space of somewhere around 17.4 M to sign, extend or callup the following.

a first line winger,
a second line winger,
an entire third line,
a fourth line centre,
a 13 forward and 7 dman(can rely on day-to-day callups of waiver exempt players to save some cap but we still need capspace for non LTIR replacement players)

Bozak, Schenn and Gunnarson all have bonuses included in their cap hit.

The bonus cushion can't be used by Burke until it is made official. This will affect the 10% offseason cap overage up until the day that a vote is made by the NHLPA (just my assumption - still looking for any proof of this).

Another thing about the cap overage is that Finger's contract will count against the +10% until he is waived. Finger can't be waived until September (?) so this is cap space that Burke doesn't have to sign UFAs.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Trueblue72

vCash: 500
I beleive that the salary cap is not in effect until right before the season starts, there are no penalties for exceeding the cap in the offseason. There will be more space with Kaberle moved unless we receive a highly paid roster player. I think Hanson and Kulemin will resign (1+2) add Kovalchuk (8.5) + Aulie (.75)+ Holzer (.85)+ Torres(1.5) + Malholtra (1.5) + Kaberle return(upto 4.2) = 17.4 mil or less

Trueblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Call of the loonie

Offseason salary cap

Quote:
CBA Article 50.5(c)(ii)(B)
(B) Nevertheless, in order to ensure that Clubs may have sufficient time and flexibility to plan their rosters during the off-season, the Upper Limit shall be temporarily raised by ten (10) percent to permit Clubs additional flexibility with their Averaged Club Salaries during the period from July 1 until and including the last day of Training Camp. On the day following the last day of Training Camp, the Upper Limit shall again be lowered to the level as calculated in Section 50.5(b), and all Clubs must once again be in compliance with the Upper Limit from the day following the last day of Training Camp until and including June 30.

Quote:
CBA Article 50.5(d)(i)(A)
(A) From July 1 until and including the last day of Training Camp of each League Year, "Averaged Club Salary" for each Club for that League Year shall be calculated as the sum of the Player Salary and Bonuses for that League Year for each and every Player, from the following categories:

(1)* The Averaged Amount of the Player Salary and Bonuses for that League Year for each Player under a One-Way SPC with the Club; plus

(2) All Deferred Salary and Deferred Bonuses to be earned in that League Year (in accordance with Section 50.2(a) and Section 50.2(b), respectively); plus

(3) All Ordinary Course Buyout Amounts to be paid in that League Year (in accordance with Section 50.9(i)); plus

(4) Any amount offered in that League Year by the Club in a Qualifying Offer or in an Offer Sheet to a Restricted Free Agent from the date of such offer until the earliest of the following: (A) the Restricted Free Agent signs an SPC with the Club; (B) the Restricted Free Agent signs an SPC with another Club; or (C) the Qualifying Offer expires pursuant to Article 10.2 (for purposes of Two-Way Qualifying Offers, the NHL portion of the Qualifying Offer will be counted at a rate reflective of the Player's time on an NHL Roster (including days on Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster and Non Roster status) the prior League Year so that, for example, a Player who spent forty-six (46) days on an NHL Roster (including days on Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster and Non Roster status) in a 184-day regular season, and receives a Qualifying Offer for $500,000 (NHL) / $50,000 (AHL), the portion of his Qualifying Offer that will count for off-season accounting purposes will be 46/184 x $500,000 = $125,000); plus

(5)** For any Player under a Two-Way SPC, the NHL portion of the SPC will be counted at a rate reflective of the Player's time on an NHL Roster (including days on Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster and Non Roster status) the prior League Year so that, for example, a Player who spent fortysix (46) days on an NHL Roster (including days on Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster and Non Roster status) in a 184-day regular season, and has a Two-Way SPC for $500,000 (NHL) / $50,000 (AHL), the portion of his NHL Salary and Bonuses that will count for off-season accounting purposes will be 46/184 x $500,000 = $125,000; plus

(6) For SPCs entered into prior to the execution of this Agreement, the face amount of any vested option, the face amount resultant from a salary revision, a salary or bonus guarantee, or other such compensatory provision in such 1995 Standard Player Contracts (see also Exhibit 16 of this Agreement regarding options); plus

(7) With respect to any new Player Salary or Bonus dispute between a Player and a Club arising after the execution of this Agreement (i.e., relating to Player Salary and Bonuses payable on account of the 2005-06 League Year or any subsequent League Year), any amount paid (excluding interest) in satisfaction of any award or judgment relating to, or settlement of, any such dispute, but only to the extent that such amounts have not otherwise been included in the Player's Player Salary or Bonuses.
* So even if we send Finger to the AHL this year, his cap hit will still count against the team cap space next summer.

** So actually, a portion of Brayden Irwin's, Luca Caputi's and Nazem Kadri's cap hits will be counted against our cap space this summer. But a portion of Tyler Bozak's and Carl Gunnarson's cap hit will not be counted.

Last edited by Call of the loonie: 06-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old
06-09-2010, 02:43 PM
bringthecuphome

The way I see it is that right now we have out two top line centers locked up, Kadri, and Bozak. We also have a first line winger (Kessel), and a second line winger (kulemin). So our FUTURE top six look like this:

xxxxx-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-xxxxx

Let's say a kaberle trade goes through with buffalo for kassian+. OK, so know it looks like this.

xxxxx-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-Kassian

Now we have one more hole, the top line left winger. It just so happens that the biggest free agent on the market is a top line left winger! So now you've got yourself this:

Kovalchuk-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-Kassian

I dont know about you guys, But I have to go change my pants.

Anyways, the reason I posted this is to say that I really like the way our top six is taking shape and think Burke is doing a fantastic job.

bringthecuphome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:48 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of the loonie View Post
Offseason salary cap

* So even if we send Finger to the AHL this year, his cap hit will still count against the team cap space next summer.

** So actually, a portion of Brayden Irwin's, Luca Caputi's and Nazem Kadri's cap hits will be counted against our cap space this summer. But a portion of Tyler Bozak's and Carl Gunnarson's cap hit will not be counted.
Yikes, are you sure about that?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Thought I'd make a new one cause the old one was a fun read.

A re-post of what I think is an accurate representation of our current cap situation.

PlayerCaphitPlayerCaphitPlayerCaphitTotal
x Bozak3.725Kessel5.4009.125
x Grabovski2.900Stalberg0.8503.750
x x x 0.000
Sjostrom0.750x Orr1.0001.750
  Beauchemin3.800Phaneuf6.50010.300
  Kaberle4.250Komisarek4.5008.750
  Gunnarsson0.800Schenn2.9753.775
    Finger3.5003.500
    Giguere 6.000 
    Gustavsson1.3507.350

Tucker 1.000
     Total49.300
     Space7.500

If the cap goes up 2M and
If the NHLPA votes to extend the CBA, giving us 7.5% of Max cap bonus cushion (4.41M @ 58.8 max cap) and
If Finger is put somewhere else on opening day:
We would have a cap space of somewhere around 17.4 M to sign, extend or callup the following.

a first line winger,
a second line winger,
an entire third line,
a fourth line centre,
a 13 forward and 7 dman(can rely on day-to-day callups of waiver exempt players to save some cap but we still need capspace for non LTIR replacement players)

Bozak, Schenn and Gunnarson all have bonuses included in their cap hit.

The bonus cushion can't be used by Burke until it is made official. This will affect the 10% offseason cap overage up until the day that a vote is made by the NHLPA (just my assumption - still looking for any proof of this).

Another thing about the cap overage is that Finger's contract will count against the +10% until he is waived. Finger can't be waived until September (?) so this is cap space that Burke doesn't have to sign UFAs.
Stalberg is a LW and Sjostrom is a 3rd line RW, but other than that you've got it about right.

Bottom line is that Finger needs to go, $7.5 isn't enough space to fill all those holes. Putting him in the minors puts us at $11m in free space. Assume that you sign Van Ryn to a PTO or some other #7 for $750k, which brings you down to $10.25. Say you get Kulemin for $2.25 (2nd/3rd line LW with Stalberg), and you're down to $8m.

This is where the tough part comes in. If the NHLPA doesn't extend the CBA, then we can problably go pretty close to the cap because some of Schenn/Bozak's bonuses will not be achieved. However, if they do extend it, we problably don't want to take more than an additional $2m of cap hit because some of Schenn/Bozak's bonuses will be achieved. So, let's assume that we're now back up to $10m.

You'll need a 4th line centre, 4th line LW and 13th forward, so bring in John Mitchell and a couple other guys (irrelevant) for a combined $2.25. While it's important to build from teh top down, you really have to "tag" this space to account for roster spots.

You're now down to $7.75 while needing a top line LW, 2nd line RW, and 3rd line centre... this is really the only space with which to get creative. Personally, I like the idea of Kris Versteeg (prospects), Todd Bertuzzi, and Brendan Morrison. Keep the incredible blueline together and fire Ron Wilson. If the NHLPA doesn't vote to extend the CBA, you've got $5.75 to fill those 3 roster spots.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Yikes, are you sure about that?
Yep he will also eat tagging room during season (It could limit you in trades/resignings)

Next summer you would have to waive Finger again and bury him in minors (Something the Hawks will likely have to do with Huet)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Yep he will also eat tagging room during season (It could limit you in trades/resignings)

Next summer you would have to waive Finger again and bury him in minors (Something the Hawks will likely have to do with Huet)
Not overly relevant for the Leafs. He's only got 2 more years left and Giggy's $6m, Bozak's $3.75 and Schenn's $2.975 will all be expiring in the summer before his final year. Realsitically, not all of them will be resigned during the 10/11 campaign.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Call of the loonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Yes I'm very interested to see what the Hawks management will do this summer. They barely have room to QO their RFAs. What are the chances they trade the rights of Ladd? He may be a target for Burke.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:23 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I think Ladd is definitely a guy we should go after. Great secondary scoring, and he brings some toughness.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
81snipe

vCash: 800
i think veersteg would look good on our 2nd line RW

81snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Call of the loonie

Chicago would probably want NHL ready players that are already signed to small cap hits. Caputi, Stalberg, maybe Paradis, Gunnarson, Sjostrom etc. So who do you give up for Ladd or any of the Blackhawk players they might trade?

Old
06-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Offseason salary cap

The key here is that this is Off-season Cap limits..

Quote:
' From July 1 until and including the last day of Training Camp of each League Year, "Averaged Club Salary" for each Club for that League Year shall be calculated as the sum of the Player Salary and Bonuses for that League Year for each and every Player, from the following categories:
During the Summer teams can exceed the hard cap by 10% .. ie a 56.8 mil hard cap means + 5.6 mil extra cap space for the off season..

However these are the way players are handled in regard to that during the summer months for Cap calculations.. When the regular season arrives in October all team must comply with the hard Cap upper limits and players sent to the minors and have cleared waivers no longer effect a teams Cap.

Bozak and Gunnarsson would count in full towards the summer Cap of their full base salaries..

This is designed so that teams can run out an give Kovalchuk $10 mil and go way over the Cap and then spend the summer clearing out players to make Cap space.. So these players you mentioned factor into the Summer numbers.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Call of the loonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The key here is that this is Off-season Cap limits..

During the Summer teams can exceed the hard cap by 10% .. ie a 56.8 mil hard cap means + 5.6 mil extra cap space for the off season..

However these are the way players are handled in regard to that during the summer months for Cap calculations.. When the regular season arrives in October all team must comply with the hard Cap upper limits and players sent to the minors and have cleared waivers no longer effect a teams Cap.

Bozak and Gunnarsson would count in full towards the summer Cap of their full base salaries..

This is designed so that teams can run out an give Kovalchuk $10 mil and go way over the Cap and then spend the summer clearing out players to make Cap space.. So these players you mentioned factor into the Summer numbers.
Not sure what you are trying to say...I know that this is the summer and I know that this is the offseason cap restrictions. That's why I posted it. And Bozak and Gunnarson were signed to two-way SPCs. As clearly stated in CBA Article 50.5(d)(i)(A)(5) (the part that I bolded and put 2 asterisks beside) any player signed to a two-way SPC is only counted "at a rate reflective of the Player's time on an NHL Roster". Bozak and Gunnarson both spent time in the AHL, their caphit is not counted for time spent in the AHL.

Last edited by Call of the loonie: 06-09-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old
06-09-2010, 04:36 PM
dominicmoore19

y cant anyone get over the fact that kovalchuk is gone to russia and will never sign with the leafs. Marleau is more likely to sign with the leafs than most free agents but i dont see anyone talking about him.

dominicmoore19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
In Dion We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringthecuphome View Post
The way I see it is that right now we have out two top line centers locked up, Kadri, and Bozak. We also have a first line winger (Kessel), and a second line winger (kulemin). So our FUTURE top six look like this:

xxxxx-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-xxxxx

Let's say a kaberle trade goes through with buffalo for kassian+. OK, so know it looks like this.

xxxxx-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-Kassian

Now we have one more hole, the top line left winger. It just so happens that the biggest free agent on the market is a top line left winger! So now you've got yourself this:

Kovalchuk-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-Kassian

I dont know about you guys, But I have to go change my pants.

Anyways, the reason I posted this is to say that I really like the way our top six is taking shape and think Burke is doing a fantastic job.
i would cream myself if that was our top six. perfect blend of grit and talent, not to mention the oldest player in the top 6 would be 27

In Dion We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Cool Beans Man

Previous thread:

Quote:
when Orr's packaged with Kaberle + for a top flight centre, you'll look pretty foolish mack.
When Orr finishes out his contract in 3 more seasons, and likely signs an extension, so will you.

Burke is desperately looking for secondary toughness. Why would he trade the primary toughness?

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
thejustinfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Dion We Trust View Post
i would cream myself if that was our top six. perfect blend of grit and talent, not to mention the oldest player in the top 6 would be 27
I'm all for bringing Kassian to Toronto. I like what he can offer this club.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's very little chance he makes it into our second line next season.

thejustinfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
In Dion We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher6 View Post
I'm all for bringing Kassian to Toronto. I like what he can offer this club.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's very little chance he makes it into our second line next season.
ya you are probably right on that...but man would he ever look sharp in blue and white

In Dion We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:47 PM
bobermay

Bottom line, we need to really hope that the NHLPA extends the CBA.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Trueblue72

Why wouldn't they extend the agreement.

Trueblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:32 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringthecuphome View Post
Kovalchuk-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-Kassian
Thats a lot of K's if that happens i say we unofficially reverse bozaks name to kazob and have the K-K-K/K-K-K lines

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Bottom line, we need to really hope that the NHLPA extends the CBA.
It's not like it only helps us...

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Call of the loonie

We are one of four teams with more than $3M allotted for bonuses next year. The other three teams have $20-30M in cap space. So it will help us a lot more than others.

Old
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4stanley View Post
It's not like it only helps us...
I actually wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the teams most affected by it. I don't know of anyone else that has a 1st overall (what Bozak is paid as) and 5th overall pick playing on their ELCs.