HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Puck Money

Old
10-02-2010, 09:12 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

vCash: 500
Puck Money

According to Puck money (a study), nic Wallin is ranked 148th outta 151 defenceman in which defenceman are least valuable to their team.

From yahoosports on the cirteria:

The defenceman's job is to prevent goals from being scored. For this reason, best and worst value picks are chosen by first isolating for best/worst +/-. Then the players are compared by salary. Our best value picks have the best combination of lowest cost-per-minute on the ice (annual salary divided by total minutes played) and the highest plus/minus number. Our worst value picks are just the opposite. Only defenders who played 60 or more games of the 82-game season are ranked.

This was when Wallin made 1.725m.

Just think. This guy got a 775k raise.

Im actually scared to see how low it'll be this year with his 2.5m salary...

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

Well, +/- is not really a credible way of measuring one's worth but whatever.

I wouldn't even rate Wallin as least valuable dman on our team. That title belongs to Huskins. He, after all, has the least defensive skill of all on our team.

I would rate our dman in this order, in order of worth to the team: Boyle, Vlasic, Demers, Murray, Lilja, Wallin and Huskins.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:19 PM
sharkie88

Very disturbing. Didn't DW refer to this buffoon as our "stopper" or something? LOL. But there is no sense in losing sleep over it now, instead we can be thankful its only for one year. Unless DW has a new verbal agreement for another 725k raise next year...

sharkie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

Niclas Wallin sucks...we get it. It only matters if DW realizes it by next off-season and lets him go. lol

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Niclas Wallin sucks...we get it. It only matters if DW realizes it by next off-season and lets him go. lol
Should find out what his favorite place to eat hamburgz at is and invest.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:51 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 0
This is like when i heard on the news that scientists discovered that songs, can in fact, get stuck in your head.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich Liechtenstein View Post
Should find out what his favorite place to eat hamburgz at is and invest.
Who eats hamburgers anyway? Cheese makes it so much better.

Old
10-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 155
he's still better than Ehrhoff.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
At first, I thought you actually had legitimate reasons to believe that losing Ehrhoff was a good thing but you're clearly incredibly biased with your hate.

Not a single rational human being would choose Nic Wallin @ 2.5 over Christian Ehrhoff @ 3.1 .

Old
10-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post

Not a single rational human being would choose Nic Wallin @ 2.5 over Christian Ehrhoff @ 3.1 .
But he's a stanley cup winner....

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
lactose intolerant people? I dunno I'd die without cheese.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:07 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
cause Wallin is THAT boring.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Flicktron

HA! I keep trying to figure out what the hype was over him on these boards when the Sharks were rumoured to get him.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktron View Post
HA! I keep trying to figure out what the hype was over him on these boards when the Sharks were rumoured to get him.
Hype? I don't remember anyone but Canes fans thinking he was a good acquisition.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Hype? I don't remember anyone but Canes fans thinking he was a good acquisition.
I thought he was better than no-one at all. Gave us a little more depth. Unfortunately he got injured. That was before his new contract of course.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
I remember thinking to myself "God, I hope they don't trade a 2nd or a prospect for him." Then they got him for a 2nd Then I remember thinking "God, I hope they don't resign him. Especially for significant money"

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:20 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

When they resigned him i was expectign a 1m or so cap hit. not 2.5x

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. People (including me) were going ape-**** when they heard we gave up a 2nd for him! A SECOND ROUNDER FOR WALLIN!!!!!!!!

The consensus on the board was that Doug will give up a 5th to get him so we were okay with it (just a playoff run).

Old
10-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Well, +/- is not really a credible way of measuring one's worth but whatever.

I wouldn't even rate Wallin as least valuable dman on our team. That title belongs to Huskins. He, after all, has the least defensive skill of all on our team.

I would rate our dman in this order, in order of worth to the team: Boyle, Vlasic, Demers, Murray, Lilja, Wallin and Huskins.
Really? I'd rather have Huskins than Wallin. Huskins does his stuff and gets off of the ice. He's slightly overpaid but if he was making say $1mil or 1.5mil he'd be great. A solid 5th-6th dman. Wallin is Murray minus everything which makes Murray useful. And he's making 2.5 while Huskins is making 1.7.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Really? I'd rather have Huskins than Wallin. Huskins does his stuff and gets off of the ice. He's slightly overpaid but if he was making say $1mil or 1.5mil he'd be great. A solid 5th-6th dman. Wallin is Murray minus everything which makes Murray useful. And he's making 2.5 while Huskins is making 1.7.
To me, Huskins is #6 dman. Wallin is a #5 dman. When you factor in salaries, I would prefer Huskins too.

Wallin is not terrible. He's a solid #5 guy who should be playing against the opponent's 3rd and sometimes 2nd lines. However, he is given a bigger role and a much bigger salary on the team, intensifying his faults.

Old
10-02-2010, 11:26 PM
gonegonegone*

Meh nothing new here, wallin is awful, if he were min i wouldn't be too happy with him on our team but would figure he's good depth for min. With redden gone and who knows what about sourey, quite frankly and without a shred of hyperbole, Wallin is bar none the worst defensive contract in the entire nhl, worse than finger and whoever else you can come up with. 2.5 million for someone we would hate to play at a #6 is so rage-inducing. 148/151 sounds too generous to this pylon.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

The defense issue is a sum of it's parts. It's not that the Sharks are icing Huskins or Wallin or Lilja... it's that they're icing all three.

I like Wallin cause he's much more physical than Huskins. Unless you consider getting hit a hundred times a game "physical".

Huskins is mobile, makes safe passes and clears the zone more often than not.

I have only seen Lilja play for the Sharks twice, and he was a disaster in a loss, and more than decent in the second. He's almost as mobile as Huskins, but less physical than Wallin.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
I used to hate Christian but I would take him any day. He's not slow and that's something we need. Sure he made his stupid mistakes that resulted in a penalty but Waillin is just crap. I don't see why GM's have to promise a contract to get a player like Wallin to re up. I can't see a GM telling Kaberle, "Ok we want you on our team but FIRST you need to promise you'll stay with us past this season." When has that happened?

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
sjshrky27

I still think Ehrhoff is totally over-rated, and I dont miss him a bit. But I will say DW messed up that one big time by not getting anything for him. The sharks could have easily gotten a top 4 D player with both Huskins and Wallins contracts put together plus the ehrhoff trade debacle.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I still think Ehrhoff is totally over-rated, and I dont miss him a bit. But I will say DW messed up that one big time by not getting anything for him. The sharks could have easily gotten a top 4 D player with both Huskins and Wallins contracts put together plus the ehrhoff trade debacle.
Depends on what context you're talking about in terms of being overrated. There was absolutely no good reason to trade Ehrhoff though. He produced the season prior to his departure. He was versatile, mobile, ate up quality minutes, and stepped his game up in the playoffs. He wasn't a #1 guy and he had his bonehead moments but so does every d-man and he more than made up for it.

I understand people were riding him because it took him a while to develop but then he finally did and still people couldn't be happy with what he brought to the table.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote