HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top 50 Dirtiest Players?

Old
10-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 500
There's a difference between intending to hurt someone and intending to injure someone.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
There's a difference between intending to hurt someone and intending to injure someone.
hurt

1. To cause physical damage or pain to; injure.
2. To cause mental or emotional suffering to; distress.
3. To cause physical damage to; harm: The frost hurt the orange crop.
4. To be detrimental to; hinder or impair: The scandal hurt the candidate's chances for victory.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
hurt

1. To cause physical damage or pain to; injure.
2. To cause mental or emotional suffering to; distress.
3. To cause physical damage to; harm: The frost hurt the orange crop.
4. To be detrimental to; hinder or impair: The scandal hurt the candidate's chances for victory.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? There's obviously a difference between trying to cause someone physical pain to act as a mental deterrent ("hurt" them), and trying to injure them in a way that affects their physical ability to play ("injure" them).

And if you want to play the linguistic game, "injure" is only in one of the definitions of "hurt" above. True, they are basically synonyms, but in standard English usage, "injure" has a much stronger physical connotation than "hurt" (which is more about the mental aspect of feeling pain).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

We'll just let Potvin say it right...
"I didn't try and injure guys when I hit them but I wanted to hurt them. I wanted them to still be feeling the hit three, four shifts later or even in the next period."

Ole school right there and not this over-compensating politically correct crap that being spewed today.
Yes, there's a line to be drawn to keep players safe but at the same time, it's a damned contact sport folks.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 10-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Darius Kasparitus

Kirk Maltby

Brad May

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
"I didn't try and injure guys when I hit them but I wanted to hurt them. I wanted them to still be feeling the hit three, four shifts later or even in the next period."

Ole school right there and not this over-compensating politically correct crap that being spewed today.
Yes, there's a line to be drawn to keep players safe but at the same time, it's a damned contact sport folks.
I agree with Denis and I agree with you.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:03 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Are you being deliberately obtuse? There's obviously a difference between trying to cause someone physical pain to act as a mental deterrent ("hurt" them), and trying to injure them in a way that affects their physical ability to play ("injure" them).

And if you want to play the linguistic game, "injure" is only in one of the definitions of "hurt" above. True, they are basically synonyms, but in standard English usage, "injure" has a much stronger physical connotation than "hurt" (which is more about the mental aspect of feeling pain).
If someone says "I am hurt" it usually means, "I am physically or mentally injured". However the point was that Stevens went for the head and thats an intent to injure and not to hurt.

Old
10-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I love Scott Stevens and he could play on my team any time, but IMHO, he makes this list. As do (these previously not listed players)...

Wayne Cashman
Bobby Schmautz
Tiger Williams
Glenn Anderson
Garth Butcher
Dave Schultz
Steve Durbano
Geoff Courtnall

Whatever team you put together, though, Bobby Clark would have to be the Captain.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:00 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post

I really don't see what you guys are arguing about.

No one is saying that people shouldn't body check.

What they are saying is that you shouldn't smash peoples faces with your elbow or shoulder while blindsiding them.

If you can't see the difference there, I hope that you don't learn it the hard way yourselves or when one of your kids can't even function 100% in normal life while suffering from concussion symptoms.

I know that doesn't sound as manly but there is playing tough and there is playing dirty and unsportsmanlike. Stevens rode that line pretty finely.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:05 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I really don't see what you guys are arguing about.

No one is saying that people shouldn't body check.

What they are saying is that you shouldn't smash peoples faces with your elbow or shoulder while blindsiding them.

If you can't see the difference there, I hope that you don't learn it the hard way yourselves or when one of your kids can't even function 100% in normal life while suffering from concussion symptoms.

I know that doesn't sound as manly but there is playing tough and there is playing dirty and unsportsmanlike. Stevens rode that line pretty finely.
I really hope you aren't talking about Scott Stevens when you mention the elbow.

Old
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
I really hope you aren't talking about Scott Stevens when you mention the elbow.
No, its ok TDMM, take a deep breath!

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
No, its ok TDMM, take a deep breath!
Haha, I'm fine. But seriously, there is a huge difference between elbowing someone in the head (which is a penalty, and can be a major if it's violent enough) and a shoulder to the head, which was always legal under the rules and is sometimes unavoidable if you check a player who is leaning over.

Anyway, this is really starting to go in circles now.

Old
10-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

So the coach?

Ray Shero?

Brent Sutter?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:29 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
So the coach?

Ray Shero?

Brent Sutter?
Art Ross ordered Billy Coutu to attack a referee during a game. So I'd say Art Ross has to be up there among the dirty coaches.

Old
10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Art Ross ordered Billy Coutu to attack a referee during a game. So I'd say Art Ross has to be up there among the dirty coaches.
Don't forget Ferguson Sr.

Old
10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
markrander87

This Thread needs a lot more of Sprague Cleghorn.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...io&list=#photo

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:38 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Actually Art Ross put a bounty on the ref's head of several hundred dollars - a lot of money during the Depression - asking his players for someone to take him out and a loyal newbie to the team did (Coutu was a longstanding Hab, even Habs captain his last season there after his longstanding defensive partner Sprague Cleghorn left, Coutu clearly the lesser of the two in the nasty and dirty dep't; and Coutu had then recently joined the Bruins and took up the coach on the offer, and it's said the coach PAID, and that when players told of this story, Coutu's lifetime ban was eventually lifted, but since he was in his thirties when the whole debacle had begun anyways, he didn't come out of retirement). The hit on the ref was in the playoffs. Earlier that season, in a preseason scrimmage, the new Bruin Coutu took Eddie Shore hard into the boards and Shore lost an ear in the incident and Shore complained about it in the media but retracted it after coach Ross sternly spoke with him, defending Coutu's tough play. There are less than six degrees of separation between Art Ross and Fred Shero.

Art Ross
"a crusty, dour Scot"

the winningest coach in Boston Bruins' history

Quote:
it was he who instilled the Bruins' toughness and aggressive play right from the beginning
http://books.google.ca/books?id=4Mzn...um=7&ct=result

As coach Ross won 361 games during four stints as the Bruins' coach between 1924 and 1945, only twice missing the playoffs. Four times they went to the Stanley Cup finals and won it all in 1939. Ross had a habit of stepping away from coaching and doing more general manager and president duties when times were good, going back behind the bench each time the Bruins began to struggle. He is famous for several innovations including of course pulling the goalie to ice an extra attacker.

Last edited by VanIslander: 10-06-2010 at 01:00 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
mco543

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
This Thread needs a lot more of Sprague Cleghorn.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...io&list=#photo
I was going to say the same thing but then I really thought about it, while yes Cleghorn is possibly the dirtiest, most violent player in the history of the game, that's just the way the game was back then.

There's an old NHL Network commercial about the Eddie Shore/Ace Bailey incident where the voice over goes on about how those days were hockey's equivalent of the dark ages and the game being barbaric. You could probably have a good sized list of guys from that era alone. It'd be amazing to see the reactions if some of the incidents that happened back then happened today.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:45 PM
vadim sharifijanov
TRUMP-BENNING 2016

Quote:
So the coach?

Ray Shero?

Brent Sutter?
marc crawford? [insert smiley]

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:59 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco543 View Post
I was going to say the same thing but then I really thought about it, while yes Cleghorn is possibly the dirtiest, most violent player in the history of the game, that's just the way the game was back then.

There's an old NHL Network commercial about the Eddie Shore/Ace Bailey incident where the voice over goes on about how those days were hockey's equivalent of the dark ages and the game being barbaric. You could probably have a good sized list of guys from that era alone. It'd be amazing to see the reactions if some of the incidents that happened back then happened today.
Cleghorn was dirty even for the old school standard. This guy was crazy.

Old
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

if people are arguing scott stevens being on the list then id argue messier. they are both dirty players in the same format.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apulsch View Post
if people are arguing scott stevens being on the list then id argue messier. they are both dirty players in the same format.
Not sure anyone's really debating if Stevens should be on the list, more whether he is dirty or not. IMHO Messier's an overall dirtier player than Stevens was. Don't see either guy as all-time top 50 dirtiest players though.

Old
10-07-2010, 06:03 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Not sure anyone's really debating if Stevens should be on the list, more whether he is dirty or not. IMHO Messier's an overall dirtier player than Stevens was. Don't see either guy as all-time top 50 dirtiest players though.
Oh God, messier is a shoo-in.

The Eaves, Macoun, Kovin, and Jonsson incidents alone justify that.

And there are many, many more.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
jkrx

Maguire should be mentioned. Although not sure he is top 50.

Also the Hammer.

Old
10-08-2010, 02:03 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
So the coach?

Ray Shero?

Brent Sutter?
not in the nhl, but patrick roy... sending his own son out in a junior game?

bringing us to a new topic... dirty goalies?

quickly... hextall, belfour, roy (again)... not familiar enough with anything before the '90s...

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote