Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

2010-11 German prospects preview

Old
10-03-2010, 01:35 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
2010-11 German prospects preview

An overview of the German-born prospects drafted into or playing in North American Hockey.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

(German) article/interview with Rieder:
http://www.wochenblatt.de/nachrichte...da;art67,16620

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Tronador

Tobias Rieder seems to play an amazing season in the OHL. Now he has 21 points in 14 games!!!!

Tronador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:25 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post

(German) article/interview with Rieder:
http://www.wochenblatt.de/nachrichte...da;art67,16620
Quote:
„Das ist einfach eine Wahnsinnskulisse. Bei jedem Heimspiel sind hier 7.000 Zuschauer“, so Rieder.
When 7000 is a crazy attendance number what are you gonna do once you play infront of 20 000+ people in the NHL, kid?

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:29 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
When 7000 is a crazy attendance number what are you gonna do once you play infront of 20 000+ people in the NHL, kid?
there's a difference between 7000 hockey nerds and 20000 who sit on their ass and clap every once in a while.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:59 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
there's a difference between 7000 hockey nerds and 20000 who sit on their ass and clap every once in a while.
Well, what if he ends up in Montreal? Or playing for Deutschland (which he undoubtly will) at international stage- I would expect German fans to be more passionate than the 20000 you mention.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Well, what if he ends up in Montreal? Or playing for Deutschland (which he undoubtly will) at international stage- I would expect German fans to be more passionate than the 20000 you mention.
well yeah, some NHL arenas are surely louder. playing for germany though is not a big deal. the attendance is boring just like the dead DEL crowds these days. not sure if they can really beat a canadian junior hockey crowd.

and it's not like he doesn't know german hockey enthusiam. when he played for landshut he was in hannover and schwenningen for example.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:19 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
well yeah, some NHL arenas are surely louder. playing for germany though is not a big deal. the attendance is boring just like the dead DEL crowds these days. not sure if they can really beat a canadian junior hockey crowd.

and it's not like he doesn't know german hockey enthusiam. when he played for landshut he was in hannover and schwenningen for example.
I would give up, but I have one more trick up my sleeve- what if he plays for Deutschland against Latvia? I think that there´s not any other group of hockey fans to which the word Wahnsinn would apply better than them.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:41 PM
zecke26

Quote:
I would give up, but I have one more trick up my sleeve- what if he plays for Deutschland against Latvia? I think that there´s not any other group of hockey fans to which the word Wahnsinn would apply better than them.
hahaha, that i agree with. and now imagine the game to be in riga at a WC.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Sanderson

I just put it here since the topic is aboput German prospects.

Central Scouting has released the mid-term rankings and there are quite a few Germans on it.

Most surprising is Tobias Rieder's fall down to 74 in the NA skater list. He's been in a bit of a slump during the last few weeks, but that's quite a tumble for someone who was seen as a possible first rounder.

Anyway, here are all Germans / players playing in Germany:
(source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=67008 )

goalies:
----

NA-skaters:
Marcel Noebels 48
Tobias Rieder 74

European-skaters:
Norman Hauner 36
Stephan Kronthaler 39
Max Meirandres 49
Pascal Zerressen 57
Corey Mapes 59
Henry Haase 73
Christian Kretschmann 85
Yasin Ehliz 117
Daniel Fischbuch 131

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
smitty10

Can't believe Noebels is ranked higher than Rieder. Seriously, Noebels is passed over in last years draft but is now better than a guy who has the possibility of going in the first round as an 18 year old? Kind of ridiculous if you ask me; not that I mind Noebels being ranked high, but ahead of Rieder? Hmm...

I wouldn't take these rankings too seriously though. They have been getting progressively worse in recent years.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
I just put it here since the topic is aboput German prospects.

Central Scouting has released the mid-term rankings and there are quite a few Germans on it.

Most surprising is Tobias Rieder's fall down to 74 in the NA skater list. He's been in a bit of a slump during the last few weeks, but that's quite a tumble for someone who was seen as a possible first rounder.

Anyway, here are all Germans / players playing in Germany:
(source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=67008 )

goalies:
----

NA-skaters:
Marcel Noebels 48
Tobias Rieder 74

European-skaters:
Norman Hauner 36
Stephan Kronthaler 39
Max Meirandres 49
Pascal Zerressen 57
Corey Mapes 59
Henry Haase 73
Christian Kretschmann 85
Yasin Ehliz 117
Daniel Fischbuch 131
I guess the chances of Rieder and Noebels to be drafted are pretty good, but the guys still playing in Germany don't look too promising. If Hauner hadn't broken his hand, he might have had a decent chance, and Zerressen might appeal to some, but I don't really expect that we will have more than 3 or maybe 4 draftees in 2011.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Can't believe Noebels is ranked higher than Rieder. Seriously, Noebels is passed over in last years draft but is now better than a guy who has the possibility of going in the first round as an 18 year old? Kind of ridiculous if you ask me; not that I mind Noebels being ranked high, but ahead of Rieder? Hmm...

I wouldn't take these rankings too seriously though. They have been getting progressively worse in recent years.
Also, although I'm not following these rankings as long as others have, I think CSS prefers bigger guys like Noebels to smaller skill players like Rieder, espcially when they come from a country that has not produced (m)any skill players in the past.

Old
01-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Sanderson

The thing is, they already had ranked Rieder highly in the preliminary rankings, 8th in the OHL, ahead of guys like Jenner, Jensen, Murphy, Puempel or Khokhlachev. Now he dropped almost completely off the map.

Obviously a fall was to be expected, he went from scoring easily above one PPG to less than half in the recent past, but I don't see how that can diminish his potential in the eyes of the scouts by that much.

Having three or four players drafted wouldn't be that bad. It's better than most years Germany had. The only year that went significantly beyond that was 2001, which had four overagers drafted after the good World Championships.

There is definately a need for more high-end talent though. It's kind of sad when the scouting report for even the best prospects goes along the lines of "good but not great at everything". Not that there is anything bad about well rounded players, but you need players who can take over a game by themselves. Solid players aren't going to cut it on a regular basis.

Old
01-18-2011, 07:57 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Well, I still haven't watched him play but I guess there must be something.
He ain't the biggest and it might be that he also shys away from contact.

If you are small and not physical in the NHL you are only going to play a top-6 role and maybe his abilities don't seem to make that likely.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Whereas Rieder's stock seems to have dropped, the likelihood of being drafted is still very high. He's still doing fine for a kid playing his first season in North America at a young age. However, he's on a pace that is lower than a PPG and had a really hot start, which has since very much cooled.

Understandable, as the OHL season is a difficult one to cope with for kids not really used to that schedule.

In addition, there are A LOT of pretty small but talented kids in this draft, many considered amongst the top 60 prospects overall. Teams are still shying away from taking more than one, maybe two in any one draft. Grimaldi will be a prime example this summer and Rieder surely won't be picked until Grimaldi has long since been taken. Watch for that...

Rieder is currently considered to be only about 170-175 - with sopping wet equipment on, which will lead scouts to question what growth potential his frame ultimately has.

As we know, all of the NHL teams have their own scouts and their own lists. I can almost guarantee you that Rieder is still relatively high on the lists of several NHL teams.

Noebels has been a bit of a revelation. He's played fairly well internationally in the past two years (albeit his best showing was in the B Group tourney last spring) and he's got a big body. He too played some DEL last year and he was likely a kid who went a bit unscouted. Suddenly he's crashing and banging in the tough, tough WHL. That may be THE most scouted junior rank anywhere, so he's getting noticed. We shouldn't be too surprised about that, especially in a 'weaker' draft year (where there are of course some great NHL talents to find).

Hauner is also draft-eligible for the second year running. Playing in the DEL has him somewhat noticed, but his being drafted is a reallllll long shot.

We shouldn't forget that no matter what scouts denote about players, there are only 7 rounds and every team picking someone USUALLY asks themselves "Will anyone else pick him? Can we just wait until he's no longer draft eligible and sign him as an UFA?" With the drafting cut-off currently being what, 21(?), teams will usually lay off of 'exots' and see how they develop.

A prime example out of Germany are of course Marcel Mueller (was ranked), and heck, even Dennis Endras (was never ranked), who should at least be attending camp with the Wild next fall.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 08:07 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Whereas Rieder's stock seems to have dropped, the likelihood of being drafted is still very high. He's still doing fine for a kid playing his first season in North America at a young age. However, he's on a pace that is lower than a PPG and had a really hot start, which has since very much cooled.

Understandable, as the OHL season is a difficult one to cope with for kids not really used to that schedule.

In addition, there are A LOT of pretty small but talented kids in this draft, many considered amongst the top 60 prospects overall. Teams are still shying away from taking more than one, maybe two in any one draft. Grimaldi will be a prime example this summer and Rieder surely won't be picked until Grimaldi has long since been taken. Watch for that...

Rieder is currently considered to be only about 170-175 - with sopping wet equipment on, which will lead scouts to question what growth potential his frame ultimately has.

As we know, all of the NHL teams have their own scouts and their own lists. I can almost guarantee you that Rieder is still relatively high on the lists of several NHL teams.

Noebels has been a bit of a revelation. He's played fairly well internationally in the past two years (albeit his best showing was in the B Group tourney last spring) and he's got a big body. He too played some DEL last year and he was likely a kid who went a bit unscouted. Suddenly he's crashing and banging in the tough, tough WHL. That may be THE most scouted junior rank anywhere, so he's getting noticed. We shouldn't be too surprised about that, especially in a 'weaker' draft year (where there are of course some great NHL talents to find).

Hauner is also draft-eligible for the second year running. Playing in the DEL has him somewhat noticed, but his being drafted is a reallllll long shot.

We shouldn't forget that no matter what scouts denote about players, there are only 7 rounds and every team picking someone USUALLY asks themselves "Will anyone else pick him? Can we just wait until he's no longer draft eligible and sign him as an UFA?" With the drafting cut-off currently being what, 21(?), teams will usually lay off of 'exots' and see how they develop.

A prime example out of Germany are of course Marcel Mueller (was ranked), and heck, even Dennis Endras (was never ranked), who should at least be attending camp with the Wild next fall.
Very true.

With Mueller and Endras, you should expect both to be in the AHL to at least start the year. Mueller may make the Leafs out of camp on the 3rd line, but I think he'd benefit from another half year with the Marlies. Endras should get the bulk of starts in Houston this year with Kubodin looking to take over as back up for Backstrom. Either way at least Germany is producing more NHL worthy prospects and are hopefully improving their national team.

In all reality, Germany could have quite a few NHLers and prospects in the AHL next season.

Goaltenders:
Pielmeier
Endras
Grubauer
Greiss?

Defense:
Seidenberg
Ehrhoff
Sulzer
Holzer
Schubert?
Krueger?
Bielke?

Forwards:
Sturm
Hecht
Goc
Mueller
Flaake?
Schutz?
Gogulla?

Old
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
With Mueller and Endras, you should expect both to be in the AHL to at least start the year. Mueller may make the Leafs out of camp on the 3rd line, but I think he'd benefit from another half year with the Marlies. Endras should get the bulk of starts in Houston this year with Kubodin looking to take over as back up for Backstrom. Either way at least Germany is producing more NHL worthy prospects and are hopefully improving their national team.

In all reality, Germany could have quite a few NHLers and prospects in the AHL next season.

Goaltenders:
Pielmeier
Endras
Grubauer
Greiss?

Defense:
Seidenberg
Ehrhoff
Sulzer
Holzer
Schubert?
Krueger?
Bielke?

Forwards:
Sturm
Hecht
Goc
Mueller
Flaake?
Schutz?
Gogulla?
I saw Mueller playing against the Rangers. Of course, that was a real bad day for the Leafs (6-0 I believe???). He seemed ok out there, although he was playing VERY carefully (understandable, of course).

Anyhow, what do you think Leafs' fans' opinions are of him thus far? I heard he was disappointing in camp and off to a slow start in the AHL until things just seemed to go 'click'...

As for a possible Team Germany at its best (future Olympics or World Cup), I truly believe things are looking up. Although the Schutz', Gogullas, Schuberts and Dietrichs of the world are likely finished with their North Amerca ventures, guys like Mueller, Endras and Hoelzer as well as up-and-coming prospects like Kuehnhackl, Rieder, Abeltshauser, Hoefflin and Noebels have definite possibilities. Make no mistake - Kuehnhackl and Rieder are the best German (forward) prospects since Sturm.

I cannot, however, say there is anyone coming up through the ranks who could develop into an Ehrhoff or Seidenberg. This should not be expected of either Abeltshauser (the best Dman prospect at the moment) or Bielke. We're talking about kids who were taking a top 4 shift for very competitive DEL teams at the ages of 17/18.

Ironically, I could envision Hoelzer becoming a mini-Schenn. His style here greatly resembled Luke's game. Hopefully some folks in the Leafs' organization have him moving in that direction.

Lastly, I regret to inform you that Jerome Flaake, who is playing for my hometown team, is showing very little in the way of NHL possibilities. That might one day change when he's 25 or so, but if it does, he'll likely head over much in the same manner as Endras is doing.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Sanderson

Indeed, Flaake isn't showing much right now. He's too slow to beat smaller players to the puck and not strong enough to hold his own against big players.

He's doing okay at DEL-level, though far from being an important part of the team. I really can't see Toronto signing him, nor anyone else for that matter.

Old
02-08-2011, 07:30 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I saw Mueller playing against the Rangers. Of course, that was a real bad day for the Leafs (6-0 I believe???). He seemed ok out there, although he was playing VERY carefully (understandable, of course).

Anyhow, what do you think Leafs' fans' opinions are of him thus far? I heard he was disappointing in camp and off to a slow start in the AHL until things just seemed to go 'click'...

As for a possible Team Germany at its best (future Olympics or World Cup), I truly believe things are looking up. Although the Schutz', Gogullas, Schuberts and Dietrichs of the world are likely finished with their North Amerca ventures, guys like Mueller, Endras and Hoelzer as well as up-and-coming prospects like Kuehnhackl, Rieder, Abeltshauser, Hoefflin and Noebels have definite possibilities. Make no mistake - Kuehnhackl and Rieder are the best German (forward) prospects since Sturm.

I cannot, however, say there is anyone coming up through the ranks who could develop into an Ehrhoff or Seidenberg. This should not be expected of either Abeltshauser (the best Dman prospect at the moment) or Bielke. We're talking about kids who were taking a top 4 shift for very competitive DEL teams at the ages of 17/18.

Ironically, I could envision Hoelzer becoming a mini-Schenn. His style here greatly resembled Luke's game. Hopefully some folks in the Leafs' organization have him moving in that direction.

Lastly, I regret to inform you that Jerome Flaake, who is playing for my hometown team, is showing very little in the way of NHL possibilities. That might one day change when he's 25 or so, but if it does, he'll likely head over much in the same manner as Endras is doing.
Mueller got off to a very slow start (I think 1 point in 10 games) with the Marlies after a fairly strong pre-season and training camp. It took him about 15 games to get adjusted to NA style of hockey, but he's really been doing much better since. He goes hard to the front of the net now and doesn't play a perimeter game anymore and has been using his size in the corners and to battle for the puck more. He played fairly well when he was up with the Leafs. He didn't try to really do anything flashy, but played a solid 2-way game and was good in the corners. The game against the Rangers would obviously be hard to judge him by as that was his first NHL game and the Leafs lost 7-0. He was looking more comfortable after that game and has really picked up his game since going back down to the AHL. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he makes the Maple Leafs out of camp next year as a 3rd liner.

Holzer has also been good and I agree with your comparison to Schenn. Although we have quite a few guys who have a good shot at making the team next year, Holzer could very well be one of them if two defensemen are moved. If not he'll start with the Marlies again and be a call up. Aulie is ahead of him on the depth chart, but IMO he is next in line with Juraj Mikus following closely behind. I do think he will develop into an NHL defenseman in the next year or so and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he one day reaches Seidenberg's level. Korbi really seems to have a lot of potential and good work ethic so you never know.

Germany's defense seems set for the next few years with the obvious Ehrhoff and Seidenberg platooning on the first pairing, Sulzer proving his NHL worth this year and Holzer playing a solid defensive game for the Marlies. Do you think Abeltshauser has a good shot at an NHL career? I've only seen him play 3 times (WJC and 1 QMJHL game) and he's looked very good to me, but in such limited viewings it's really hard to tell. He seems like a good two-way defenseman who can make a solid breakout pass, skates well, is defensively responsible and can provide some offense as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Indeed, Flaake isn't showing much right now. He's too slow to beat smaller players to the puck and not strong enough to hold his own against big players.

He's doing okay at DEL-level, though far from being an important part of the team. I really can't see Toronto signing him, nor anyone else for that matter.
That's unfortunate to hear. Flaake was hyped quite a bit when he was drafted and has good size. I have however heard that his work ethic is lacking that he really needs to improve his skating. The DEL isn't the league to really work on those things in and a move to NA would probably be best for his career.

How much longer does he have on his current contract? Does he have an out-clause for the NHL?

Old
02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Maverick41

I'm not sure if Abeltshauser is really as good a prospect as some make him out to be. His stats in Halifax are pretty bad, but then again it is probably not entirely fair to judge him based on those alone, since the whole team seems to be quite bad.

As far as the future on defense for Germany is concerned, I think we will have to make the most of the time we got with Ehrhoff and Seidenberg, because there don't seem to be any prospects right now that may take over for them, when they are done.
Holzer might be the closest, and guys like Sulzer, Dietrich, Krueger or Constantin Braun along with some others can definitely fill out the roles on the 2nd and 3rd pairings.

Just for fun I recently checked the stats for some of the kids born in 94-96. I have no idea if any of these kids have the potential to follow in the footsteps of Ehrhoff, Seidenberg or Sturm, but I was stunned when I came upon a kid who was born in '95 and stands at 6'3'' and 201 lbs. I mean there are some tall kids, but most of those are lanky, judging by their weight, but this one must look like a man among boys when he steps on the ice.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
I'm not sure if Abeltshauser is really as good a prospect as some make him out to be. His stats in Halifax are pretty bad, but then again it is probably not entirely fair to judge him based on those alone, since the whole team seems to be quite bad.

As far as the future on defense for Germany is concerned, I think we will have to make the most of the time we got with Ehrhoff and Seidenberg, because there don't seem to be any prospects right now that may take over for them, when they are done.
Holzer might be the closest, and guys like Sulzer, Dietrich, Krueger or Constantin Braun along with some others can definitely fill out the roles on the 2nd and 3rd pairings.

Just for fun I recently checked the stats for some of the kids born in 94-96. I have no idea if any of these kids have the potential to follow in the footsteps of Ehrhoff, Seidenberg or Sturm, but I was stunned when I came upon a kid who was born in '95 and stands at 6'3'' and 201 lbs. I mean there are some tall kids, but most of those are lanky, judging by their weight, but this one must look like a man among boys when he steps on the ice.
What's his name? It would be great to see a few years of highly-talented German kids come through the systems. Is this kid actually a good player, or just big?

Old
02-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
What's his name? It would be great to see a few years of highly-talented German kids come through the systems. Is this kid actually a good player, or just big?
His name is Christian Scharr. I'm not sure if he is any good. He does play for Cologne in the DNL this season and has 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists) and 41 penalty minutes in 24 games. He also played 5 games at the U16 level this season and had 8 points (4 goals, 4 assists) and 18 penalty minutes.
He has also played for Germany at the U16 level. So it seems there is at least some talent there.

I've made myself a list of players who I found intriguing, and I'm gonna keep checking on their stats from time to time. It will be interesting to see, if any of them really make it as professional hockey players.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
His name is Christian Scharr. I'm not sure if he is any good. He does play for Cologne in the DNL this season and has 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists) and 41 penalty minutes in 24 games. He also played 5 games at the U16 level this season and had 8 points (4 goals, 4 assists) and 18 penalty minutes.
He has also played for Germany at the U16 level. So it seems there is at least some talent there.

I've made myself a list of players who I found intriguing, and I'm gonna keep checking on their stats from time to time. It will be interesting to see, if any of them really make it as professional hockey players.
Wow, this kid looks really big and judging by his stats he plays a fairly rugged game. He seems to dominate against kids his own age and is playing with people up to 3 years older, so he's obviously doing something right. I tried to find video of him, but have had no luck. If he can skate his upside could be a Luke Schenn type of player. We'll have to wait and see, but this kid could be the real deal.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
JoeLH

To be realistic, we won't see Dietrich or Schubert (again) in the NHL. Holzer might fit, he has the attitude to work himself in the big league.

It will be really interesting if Braun will get a shot. I don't think it'll be with the Kings because their depth chart on defense simply is too crowded.

Krueger will get a contract with an NHL team sooner or later, no doubt about that. If it's not with the Canes who drafted him, Edmonton and the bloodlines will work. Or just another team. He has all the tools for a bonafide shutdown defenseman. Disciplin, big body, work ethic, solid first pass.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote