HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

The 2011 NHL Draft

Old
10-03-2010, 01:47 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
The 2011 NHL Draft

Perhaps we get this thread stickied like the one we had for the 2010 draft. Looking at the roster, its pretty apparent we will be picking relatively high in the draft ; so it may be interesting to take close attention to the players available this year.

Some players to watch for this year are IMO as follows :

Adam Larsson :
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10713〈=en

Considering generally as a better prospect than Hedman, is probably the best ever Swedish D product for his age. Pretty much the total package. Leading his SEL team in ice time (A team that also has 1st round D prospects Rundblad and Erixon).

Sean Couturier :

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32885

First 17 yr old to lead the QJMHL since Crosby. He isn't on that level, but probably on par or just below Hall/Seguin for example. Not greatest skater but great size with great hands and is adept to both playmaking and scoring. Lecavalier is a comparison used frequently. Him and Larsson seem #1 and #2 right now.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins :

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=25636

Smaller in stature but tremendously talented player. Dynamic offensive player. Great hands, speed and a good shot. Certainly a top 5 player in this draft IMO, but he could challenge Larsson and SC.

To me these seem the Big three at the moment. We then have in no order :

David Musil

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=23298

Big Defenseman who is already a very good Defensive player. Great first year in the WHL last year. It's difficult to gauge his Pro offensive potential, but i wouldn't say is that far off Gudbranson type potential.

Gabriel Landeskog

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=23298

Swede who played with Kitchener last year. Extremely physical player ; often said to be the Swedish Brendan Morrow. Most of his goals come around the net. May not have the top end NHL potential, but certainly projects to be a very productive two way forward at the NHL level.

Matt Puempel

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45571

Could be this years Duchene/Seguin. Seems to be rising in the rankings. Just average size but very talented offensively. I assume MR will know a fair bit about him.

Viktor Rask
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15747

Tomas Jurco
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34751

Vladislav Namestnikov
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39029

Lucas Lessio
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45173

Shane McColgan
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32798

I've try and update with some more names. I've missed a few high end Euros playing in the CHL, missed all the American guys and some of Swedes. Im sure MR can help us with the OHL.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:53 PM
panthersfan751

Assuming the top 2 stay the same, I'd draft Couturier without question. Larsson may be talented, but he isn't what we need.

We need a 1st line, franchise center, and that's what Couturier looks to be. We've squandered so many chances at an impact player on offense (Nash, Staal), and if we pass on one again for yet another defenseman, I think we'll be making a mistake.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:57 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I would love Larsson on this team, but Couturier would have to be the pick. We need legit top line talent, and Couturier would be a great start. BUT...could you imagine a defense consisting of:

Gudbranson - Larsson
Robak - Kulikov
Petrovic - Ellerby/Garrison/Comrie

SICK defense!

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

While Couturier isn't a dynamic skater like RNH, he's still a very good one. This was probably his biggest weakspot when he came into the Q, but he's improved tremendously in that aspect. He has a huge stride which eats up ice and has good agility for a big guy.

Brandon Saad is in my top 7 right now, his first year in the OHL and he's looked terrific. Already near the top of league scoring. A big winger who's a terrific skater, has great speed, just technically perfect and can turn on a dime. He's already got 3 goals in OHL, has a good shot and isn't shy about going to the net. He's great 2-way player, already playing on 1st PK unit, and isn't shy about going into the corners or getting involved down low. Also a good playmaker.

Puempel is a better sniper than Saad, he's got tremendous goal scoring ability. Just last week he scored a natural hat trick in less than 10 minutes. He's an above average skater but not a great one. He really likes to part in front of the net and will take the abuse. He's not a player who will really have the puck on his stick a lot, not flashy. He's a guy you want playing with a good set-up man and finishing off plays.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

My pick is Larsson Id like to see us have the best back line in hockey as opposed to a crap offense with a star forward and a decent defense

Larsson - Robak

Gudbranson - Kulikov

Petrovic - Ellerby

Markstrom

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-PANTHERS-10 View Post
My pick is Larsson Id like to see us have the best back line in hockey as opposed to a crap offense with a star forward and a decent defense

Larsson - Robak

Gudbranson - Kulikov

Petrovic - Ellerby

Markstrom
That may be a great defense, but the Preds have already been using that strategy (great defense and goaltending) and have not made it very deep into the playoffs. And they haven't won a Cup with that strategy.

All the teams that have won the Cup lately have a great center and good center depth. Once we're in the playoffs, I'd much rather have a center group with Couturier, Weiss, and Bjugstad/Matthias than a defense with Larsson, Gudbranson, and Kulikov. Unless we plan on getting Brad Richards in FA (which we all know is very unlikely), I feel we absolutely must address our lack of a top line center this draft if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:38 PM
hfboardsuser

My Top 35 for 2011

If the Panthers end up in the bottom three, I think RNH is the player Tallon will target. A successful team needs stars at all positions, obviously, but center is a big one and Hopkins is a franchise-caliber player. Just a ton of hustle, skill and speed, even if he isn't the biggest guy/

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Erick

I don't know. Whoever we get with the 1st pick though; lets put him on waivers too, some day.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Boooooth10

I already have my Couturier Panthers jersey.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:45 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:

Larsson - Robak

Gudbranson - Kulikov

Petrovic - Ellerby

Markstrom
I dont know about a crap offense. Couturier, Frolik, Bjugstad, McFarland, Howden, Dadanov, Booth, Weiss, Grabner, oh wait, Repik, etc. is a good group of forwards.

Old
10-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Erick

Quote:

Larsson - Robak

Gudbranson - Kulikov

Petrovic - Ellerby

Markstrom
That would be nice, but if I may ask...why is Robak on your 1st line?

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 06:46 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I was actually going to do the same thing, but have Larsson on the second pairing. I was going to have:

Guds - Kuli
Larsson - Robak

Reason being is I think Larsson is a 1a Dman, with Kuli and Guds as a 1b Dman. I think Guds and Kuli could be a great pairing for us, and with the skills that Larsson has, Robak would be a suitable partner. Better to get the most out of all four, if you understand.

Regardless, I dont think we can pass on Couturier. This team needs top line talent, and adding Couturier would give us size, speed (not him), and skill down the middle. Couturier, Weiss, Bjugstad, Matthias, and McFarland is a great set to have down the middle.

Old
10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post

I put him up there because he along with Larsson have outstanding IQ putting them together would make the SAT jealous. Plus it gives more of a balance to the other 2 combos.

Old
10-04-2010, 02:14 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:

Larsson - Robak

Gudbranson - Kulikov

Petrovic - Ellerby

Markstrom
No thanks. And where is Garrison? Did he fly away? He played well for us last year and will be a solid part of our defense for years to come. We need to start drafting some big scorers.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
No thanks. And where is Garrison? Did he fly away? He played well for us last year and will be a solid part of our defense for years to come. We need to start drafting some big scorers.
How do you know he will be here for years to come? We have a log jam of #6 d-man here right now, let alone for years to come

Old
10-04-2010, 02:25 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
How do you know he will be here for years to come? We have a log jam of #6 d-man here right now, let alone for years to come
I can't for sure of course but I hope so because I like his play and he seems like a good team guy. I could see him in the second pairing.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I was actually going to do the same thing, but have Larsson on the second pairing. I was going to have:

Guds - Kuli
Larsson - Robak

Reason being is I think Larsson is a 1a Dman, with Kuli and Guds as a 1b Dman. I think Guds and Kuli could be a great pairing for us, and with the skills that Larsson has, Robak would be a suitable partner. Better to get the most out of all four, if you understand.

Regardless, I dont think we can pass on Couturier. This team needs top line talent, and adding Couturier would give us size, speed (not him), and skill down the middle. Couturier, Weiss, Bjugstad, Matthias, and McFarland is a great set to have down the middle.
In addition to that, the economics also favor taking Couturier. If we're a lottery team again, then attendance will be really low as will the number of STH's who decide to renew. It's a much easier sell to get people to come to the BAC and watch Couturier develop and score goals than to watch Larsson play 20 minutes of defense.

Old
10-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
In addition to that, the economics also favor taking Couturier. If we're a lottery team again, then attendance will be really low as will the number of STH's who decide to renew. It's a much easier sell to get people to come to the BAC and watch Couturier develop and score goals than to watch Larsson play 20 minutes of defense.
This is so true. Scoring goals is so much more exciting than solid defense.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:39 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

This is just my opinion of course but I don't see Couturier as being elite such as Tavares or Stamkos if he was Stamkos I would say take him no doubt about it,we would have a real face of the franchise to market. But the critics are touting Larsson as being better than Hedmen at his age and may be possibly better than Doughty, he excels in every part of the defensive game at a young age and could legitimately be another Lidstrom.

Old
10-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
This is just my opinion of course but I don't see Couturier as being elite such as Tavares or Stamkos if he was Stamkos I would say take him no doubt about it,we would have a real face of the franchise to market. But the critics are touting Larsson as being better than Hedmen at his age and may be possibly better than Doughty, he excels in every part of the defensive game at a young age and could legitimately be another Lidstrom.
Couturier is more advanced than Stamkos was at this point in his draft year. That is just fact. I'm not saying he'll be better than Stamkos, I'm just saying who knows. Some people think his upside is higher than Hall and Seguin's.

Larsson is better than Hedman or Doughty were at the same age, but the same thing applies to him as it does to Couturier. I think Larsson is the better prospect, but IMO it's more like a 1a vs. 1b situation. There's still a whole year of hockey left to play though and it could come down to positional need at the draft.

Old
10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

RNH is tied for WHL scoring lead early on in the season. 7 GP 3G-10A-13Pts.

Hop is racking up a boatload of dimes right now.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
RNH is tied for WHL scoring lead early on in the season. 7 GP 3G-10A-13Pts.

Hop is racking up a boatload of dimes right now.
Heh...The Drop for Hop, that's good. But what ryhmes with Couturier?

Old
10-07-2010, 02:37 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That's a tough one. You're going to probably have to do something with Sean or just hop aboard the RNH train. Pun intended.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:00 PM
asleepinthechapel

Larsson please.
It would be amazing to have him on the team. Talk about having a competitive defensive corps for the next few years.

Last edited by asleepinthechapel: 10-07-2010 at 03:06 PM.
asleepinthechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:06 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Coup for Couturier?

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote