HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2011 NHL Draft

Old
10-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Larsson won't go #1 IMO if the current trends continue. I think he's going to be an elite D, and is the 2nd best D prospect after Doughty we've seen in the last ten years however.

I'd take Nugent-Hopkins as things stand. I think he's a little bit more dynamic. But you cannot go wrong with either really. Picking in the Top 3 means you're getting gold this year. I can see why you'd want SC, big size down the middle is a very attractive proposition.

Murphy could challenge the top 3 but i don't want him. As talented as he is, he isn't a better pro prospect than Larsson IMO and his style isn't something we really need.

MR, couple of questions. Why not high on Rieder. Production wise, it's incredibly impressive ; even more so for an import. Size wise he isn't big, but the skills seem to make up for that.

Have you seen the two Russians yet? Both are producing very nicely. I think back to Burmistrov, and i see both going in the same area.

On a side note, Yakupov looks absolutely sick. 3rd in scoring and has played less games then the two above him. All this as a 16 yr old import (albeit a late 93 not a 94). Clear #1 guy for next year.
Rieder I think is benefiting a little from the team he's playing on. I don't see a dominant offensive force, I see more of a guy who's certainly good offensively but is riding some coattails as well. Rieder definitely has some nice skills, but for a small guy, unless he is a dynamic offensive force you want to see more than just offense if he is going to go high. He's pretty soft and if he's not scoring he's pretty much not doing anything. He's a good enough skater, but not a great one. I'm not sure of his offensive potential in the NHL. I'd have no problem picking him in the late 1st, somewhere around 25 and beyond.

I don't really see Murphy challenging the top 3, he's obviously awesome offensively, and is good defensively too, but idk how that's going to hold up in the NHL. He could be another Brian Rafalski, and that's if everything goes right, but that's not someone you want to use a top 3 pick on. Right now I'd say he goes in the late top 10, maybe around #5 if someone's really high on him.

I like Namestnikov better than Khoklachev. I don't see them on the same level as Burmistrov last year though, he was quite a bit better than either of them IMO. For me they are both late 1sts at this point. Yakupov however is a different story, he's amazing. If he had played the same number of games as Wilson, he'd probably be leading the league in scoring. Yeah, I'd have to rank him as the #1 for '12 at this point. Frk is amazing too but Yakupov is a little more talented, he is basically carrying Sarnia on his back as a 16 year old Russian import, that's spectacular. His teammate Alex Galchenyuk is also a no-brainer top 10 prospect for '12 right now as well. Plenty of time for Frk to catch up though.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
This Joel Armia kid came out of nowhere here in Finland. Kid is big, can stickhandle and score. I haven't watched him play much but I hear good things about him all the time. I wouldn't say he's better than Granlund was last year in Finland but his size is a huge advantage
Yeah, his vids look pretty nice and his numbers certainly grab your attention.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:15 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Rieder I think is benefiting a little from the team he's playing on. I don't see a dominant offensive force, I see more of a guy who's certainly good offensively but is riding some coattails as well. Rieder definitely has some nice skills, but for a small guy, unless he is a dynamic offensive force you want to see more than just offense if he is going to go high. He's pretty soft and if he's not scoring he's pretty much not doing anything. He's a good enough skater, but not a great one. I'm not sure of his offensive potential in the NHL. I'd have no problem picking him in the late 1st, somewhere around 25 and beyond.

I don't really see Murphy challenging the top 3, he's obviously awesome offensively, and is good defensively too, but idk how that's going to hold up in the NHL. He could be another Brian Rafalski, and that's if everything goes right, but that's not someone you want to use a top 3 pick on. Right now I'd say he goes in the late top 10, maybe around #5 if someone's really high on him.

I like Namestnikov better than Khoklachev. I don't see them on the same level as Burmistrov last year though, he was quite a bit better than either of them IMO. For me they are both late 1sts at this point. Yakupov however is a different story, he's amazing. If he had played the same number of games as Wilson, he'd probably be leading the league in scoring. Yeah, I'd have to rank him as the #1 for '12 at this point. Frk is amazing too but Yakupov is a little more talented, he is basically carrying Sarnia on his back as a 16 year old Russian import, that's spectacular. His teammate Alex Galchenyuk is also a no-brainer top 10 prospect for '12 right now as well. Plenty of time for Frk to catch up though.
Rieder does lead Kitchener forwards in points. So whilst he clearly will benefit from having a strong Offensive cast supporting him, at the junior level he's clearly capable of being an elite forward. How that transitions to the pro level im not sure. I'll look forward to seein him at the WJ, as that will be the bets opportunity for me to watch him closely. I do prefer Jensen to him long-term. Production isn't there with him yet, but the package he has is pretty high end.

I don't see Murphy challenging them either, but he is really the only legitimate candidate to do so right now. Strome might be a candidate if he continues this pace. Murphy seems to be a better Ellis. He's a better skater and a better two way player, but the comparison is still obvious. I agree though, he isn't a guy you take with a top 3 pick.

I think Namestnikov and Khoklachev are on Burmistrov's level. Both were considered better prospects in Russia, and the production levels are very similar. I know coming into the year, Namestnikov was rated higher, but it seems to reversed itself now. Though Namestnikov is certainly producing very nicely with London now ; he seems to have found his groove. I certainly think Alex K is very likely to be drafted in the top 15. I certainly don't think there is much different in the talent level between these two and Burmistrov.

As for Yakupov ; i think he may be on the same level as Hall etc. Galchenyuk is definitely a top 10 guy right now. Will be interesting to see that nation he represents at international level.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:20 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

What do you think about the czech guy that was drafted 1st overall in the KHL? Some info would be much appreciated.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:54 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Top 20? Im thinking top 10, at worst. I dont have a problem with us picking NPH or Couturier, but I prefer Couturier because of his size, and our lack of size up front. He seems to not shy away from going to the net, and I think his skills could compliment what youth we currently have both in the NHL, and in the farm system.
Perfect scenario for me would be 29th... So we have the second and can't drop out of the top 3...

Larsson is still going number one IMO

This draft has a lot in common with the 2009 and the 2008... Larsson is on Doughty's level and Hedman's, we have two forwards against a defenseman... Couturier and RNH don't have the great franchise player tag of Tavares or Stamkos yet, but they may have the potential... I hope they prove me wrong. But hey, adding a player of Duchene's caliber (or even better, I have RNH and Couturier ahead of Duchene in terms of potential) isn't bad either... That's the bad thing about this draft, we may not get a great franchise player like Doughty, Stamkos, Tavares are. I still hope I'm wrong.

I love Couturier's laser and Nugent-Hopkins' hands, but I can't get hyped as much as with Stamkos or Tavares... Maybe it's because I'm afraid we'll even fail in getting a top-3 pick. To me getting that pick is crucial to becoming a perennial playoffs team and a possible Cup contender. And I'm not getting my hopes up, because we'll even fail at that !

But imagine... RNH or Couturier, along with another Dale Tallon's summer and a better one at that, and we are in cruise-mode through the playoffs for the 2011-2012 season.

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:12 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Perfect scenario for me would be 29th... So we have the second and can't drop out of the top 3...

This draft has a lot in common with the 2009 and the 2008... Larsson is on Doughty's level and Hedman's, we have two forwards against a defenseman... Couturier and RNH don't have the great franchise player tag of Tavares or Stamkos yet, but they may have the potential... I hope they prove me wrong. But hey, adding a player of Duchene's caliber (or even better, I have RNH and Couturier ahead of Duchene in terms of potential) isn't bad either... That's the bad thing about this draft, we may not get a great franchise player like Doughty, Stamkos, Tavares are. I still hope I'm wrong.

I love Couturier's laser and Nugent-Hopkins' hands, but I can't get hyped as much as with Stamkos or Tavares... Maybe it's because I'm afraid we'll even fail in getting a top-3 pick. To me getting that pick is crucial to becoming a perennial playoffs team and a possible Cup contender. And I'm not getting my hopes up, because we'll even fail at that !

But imagine... RNH or Couturier, along with another Dale Tallon's summer and a better one at that, and we are in cruise-mode through the playoffs for the 2011-2012 season.
Not 11-12, the season after that, after we have a full season under the belts of Guds, Marky, and one of Couturier/Hopkins. That is when I see us making a run at it.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Rieder does lead Kitchener forwards in points. So whilst he clearly will benefit from having a strong Offensive cast supporting him, at the junior level he's clearly capable of being an elite forward. How that transitions to the pro level im not sure. I'll look forward to seein him at the WJ, as that will be the bets opportunity for me to watch him closely. I do prefer Jensen to him long-term. Production isn't there with him yet, but the package he has is pretty high end.

I don't see Murphy challenging them either, but he is really the only legitimate candidate to do so right now. Strome might be a candidate if he continues this pace. Murphy seems to be a better Ellis. He's a better skater and a better two way player, but the comparison is still obvious. I agree though, he isn't a guy you take with a top 3 pick.

I think Namestnikov and Khoklachev are on Burmistrov's level. Both were considered better prospects in Russia, and the production levels are very similar. I know coming into the year, Namestnikov was rated higher, but it seems to reversed itself now. Though Namestnikov is certainly producing very nicely with London now ; he seems to have found his groove. I certainly think Alex K is very likely to be drafted in the top 15. I certainly don't think there is much different in the talent level between these two and Burmistrov.

As for Yakupov ; i think he may be on the same level as Hall etc. Galchenyuk is definitely a top 10 guy right now. Will be interesting to see that nation he represents at international level.
Yeah, he's got the numbers but Rieder's not elite, he's not even one of the top 3 best players on his team. There's more than just stats, we'll see how it shakes out though. It's still early also. He could improve. He does get quite a few easy points though. I prefer Jensen to him in the draft as well. It might not be fair, but that's the way it is. Scouts are looking for NHL potential, not current production.

I think Saad, Strome, Landeskog, Puempel, Murphy, Musil, Ambroz, Rattie, and maybe Rask all fall into the same group. Sitting outside that top tier, and I really don't see any of them breaching it. Whoever said this is shaping up like 2009 is right IMO, the top 3 are becoming clearly defined early on, and then there's a group of 8-10 guys that make up the next wave. There is 1 D in the top 3 and there is some doubt who is the better of the two forwards, just like 2009.

We'll see about the two Russians, I personally wouldn't take them that high. They are doing alright but nothing spectacular, Burmistrov was one of the best forwards in the league right when he stepped in. Russian hockey is one thing, Burmistrov adapted a lot better over here than they have. Not to say that they've been bad or anything, but they haven't been as good as Burmistrov. Namestnikov just looks like a better, smarter player to me than Khoklachev, who just looks like he struggles with hockey sense sometimes, maybe he just needs to adapt more. At this point though I wouldn't take them high. They honestly both look like a poor man's Burmistrov to me.

Old
10-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
What do you think about the czech guy that was drafted 1st overall in the KHL? Some info would be much appreciated.
Who is that?

Old
10-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

This is where revisionist history comes into play. In his draft year Stamkos didn't have the great franchise player tag either. I even ask anyone to tell me, what did Stamkos do in his draft year that was so much better than what Couturier is on pace to do...he did get a gold medal at the WJC, but with the way Canada's blueline is shaping up, Couturier or RNH could as well if they make the team. Stamkos was not a standout on that team, he was a role player. You could even say Hall played a more important role on his WJC team than Stamkos did, in their draft years. You just never know how these kids are going to develop after 17-18. Stamkos took an enormous leap, Couturier/RNH could too. Couturier is on pace to best Stamkos' point total in his draft year even if he misses time due to the WJCs.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Yeah, he's got the numbers but Rieder's not elite, he's not even one of the top 3 best players on his team. There's more than just stats, we'll see how it shakes out though. It's still early also. He could improve. He does get quite a few easy points though. I prefer Jensen to him in the draft as well. It might not be fair, but that's the way it is. Scouts are looking for NHL potential, not current production.

I think Saad, Strome, Landeskog, Puempel, Murphy, Musil, Ambroz, Rattie, and maybe Rask all fall into the same group. Sitting outside that top tier, and I really don't see any of them breaching it. Whoever said this is shaping up like 2009 is right IMO, the top 3 are becoming clearly defined early on, and then there's a group of 8-10 guys that make up the next wave. There is 1 D in the top 3 and there is some doubt who is the better of the two forwards, just like 2009.

We'll see about the two Russians, I personally wouldn't take them that high. They are doing alright but nothing spectacular, Burmistrov was one of the best forwards in the league right when he stepped in. Russian hockey is one thing, Burmistrov adapted a lot better over here than they have. Not to say that they've been bad or anything, but they haven't been as good as Burmistrov. Namestnikov just looks like a better, smarter player to me than Khoklachev, who just looks like he struggles with hockey sense sometimes, maybe he just needs to adapt more. At this point though I wouldn't take them high. They honestly both look like a poor man's Burmistrov to me.
Think you are being a little harsh on Rieder. He isn't going in the top half i agree, but he is a very solid prospect.

I don't think it is shaping up like 2009 IMO. Firstly, you have a Top 3 instead of a Top 2. Larsson and Murphy may well be better than any of the D available last year (Well Larsson certainly is). I think the 2nd tier is bigger this year than it was last year. I certainly think this draft has a stronger top 20. Edit : Thought you were comparing it to 2010. Nevermind, ignore this part.

Saying the Russians are fitting in as well as Burmistrov seems a little off to me. Considering Namestnikov has 19 pts in 13 games, whilst Khoklachev is also producing very nicely for Windsor. They may provide less flash than Burmistrov, but i think by the end of the yea, they may well produce more than Burmistrov did in his first and only OHL year. There will be an adjustment period for both of them, but the early signs are they are going to be excellent producers this year. I think Khoklachev was voted as the 5th best available player available from the OHL this year on a recent OHL coach poll ; so he certainly deserves to be around that tier 2 area. Your either understating these two, or overstating the impact of Burmistrov last year.

I'd like to see Rask on a side note. He's consistently ranked in the top 10, yet the reports i hear from Sweden suggest that may be abit of a reach. Sweden will be weaker this year Offensively at the World Juniors, so it's possible we see him there.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:25 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
This is where revisionist history comes into play. In his draft year Stamkos didn't have the great franchise player tag either. I even ask anyone to tell me, what did Stamkos do in his draft year that was so much better than what Couturier is on pace to do...he did get a gold medal at the WJC, but with the way Canada's blueline is shaping up, Couturier or RNH could as well if they make the team. Stamkos was not a standout on that team, he was a role player. You could even say Hall played a more important role on his WJC team than Stamkos did, in their draft years. You just never know how these kids are going to develop after 17-18. Stamkos took an enormous leap, Couturier/RNH could too. Couturier is on pace to best Stamkos' point total in his draft year even if he misses time due to the WJCs.
Couturier had an AWESOME year last year... Better than Stamkos even though not that much by the numbers !

But Stamkos was a 58 goals scorer in his draft year... And he didn't get that much hype because it was a defenseman's draft... To go ahead guys like Pietrangelo, Doughty and Bogosian is a great achievement !

Sean Couturier is putting 13-18-31 in 21 games so far after a slow start... If he goes to the WJC, he should play let's say 61 games ! So he is on pace for about 38 goals 52 assists... Stamkos had a 58-47-105 season.

When Sean puts another 40 goals season and 100 points while leading the Q, I'll go all in with DT on the kid !!

So far, he doesn't show the progress I hoped. But he is back at center on a least talented team IMO He may be fine, we'll see... It's not like Larsson and RNH have taken the lead !

Nugent-Hopkins is Patrick Kane potentially...

Sean Couturier is Eric Staal potentially...

Pick who you want !

Old
10-31-2010, 06:23 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Couturier had an AWESOME year last year... Better than Stamkos even though not that much by the numbers !

But Stamkos was a 58 goals scorer in his draft year... And he didn't get that much hype because it was a defenseman's draft... To go ahead guys like Pietrangelo, Doughty and Bogosian is a great achievement !

Sean Couturier is putting 13-18-31 in 21 games so far after a slow start... If he goes to the WJC, he should play let's say 61 games ! So he is on pace for about 38 goals 52 assists... Stamkos had a 58-47-105 season.

When Sean puts another 40 goals season and 100 points while leading the Q, I'll go all in with DT on the kid !!

So far, he doesn't show the progress I hoped. But he is back at center on a least talented team IMO He may be fine, we'll see... It's not like Larsson and RNH have taken the lead !

Pick who you want !
The O was harder to score in back then so putting up 100 points was pretty solid for Stamkos. Putting up 80 in the Q now is probably the equivalent of putting up about 80-90 in the O back then since the Q isn't as high scoring. It's still impressive, but for Stamkos to hit over 100, that was pretty legit.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:33 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Who is that?
Dmitrij Jaskin.

Ranked 29th on ISS last list.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=65564

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Think you are being a little harsh on Rieder. He isn't going in the top half i agree, but he is a very solid prospect.

I don't think it is shaping up like 2009 IMO. Firstly, you have a Top 3 instead of a Top 2. Larsson and Murphy may well be better than any of the D available last year (Well Larsson certainly is). I think the 2nd tier is bigger this year than it was last year. I certainly think this draft has a stronger top 20. Edit : Thought you were comparing it to 2010. Nevermind, ignore this part.

Saying the Russians are fitting in as well as Burmistrov seems a little off to me. Considering Namestnikov has 19 pts in 13 games, whilst Khoklachev is also producing very nicely for Windsor. They may provide less flash than Burmistrov, but i think by the end of the yea, they may well produce more than Burmistrov did in his first and only OHL year. There will be an adjustment period for both of them, but the early signs are they are going to be excellent producers this year. I think Khoklachev was voted as the 5th best available player available from the OHL this year on a recent OHL coach poll ; so he certainly deserves to be around that tier 2 area. Your either understating these two, or overstating the impact of Burmistrov last year.

I'd like to see Rask on a side note. He's consistently ranked in the top 10, yet the reports i hear from Sweden suggest that may be abit of a reach. Sweden will be weaker this year Offensively at the World Juniors, so it's possible we see him there.
Rieder is a solid prospect for sure, but I'm just saying I wouldn't take him until late in the 1st. It's a pretty deep top 60.

The Russians are just not as good as Burmistrov, they may have the stats, but they aren't having the same impact. They are nowhere near the best forwards in the league. We'll see, you may be right, and it may shake out different in the draft, but if I was drafting I wouldn't take them until late 1st personally. I just don't see as much there in them as in a dozen other forwards in this draft, at least.

Rask is supposedly a great playmaker and all around player, but not the best finisher. I also would like to see him in the WJC, but from what I hear that's probably not a realistic scenario even if Sweden is going to be weaker than the last couple years. We can hope though.

Quote:

Pick who you want !
Ah, my apologies. For some reason I had it in my head that Stamkos only had like 80 something pts. in his draft year. OK, he had good totals, but not like Tavares numbers or anything. He wasn't a prodigy that people were hyping up for years. Couturier could still get around 90-100 pts. which isn't much different. And who knows what happens after that, he's certainly got the talent to explode and be a big star in the NHL too. Even if he only becomes a regular 80ish pts. player, I certainly won't complain about that. We could use that, eh? It's not like every other team but us has a 90 pt. scorer every year.

As far as Couturier not showing progress, I don't think that's really true. He is playing on a much less talented team than the past couple years, and yet he is on pace to match or exceed last season's point total, although the WJC may derail that. Point is, this is not like Esposito who when Radulov left he fell apart. Couturier is carrying the team now and he's doing even better offensively this year. I think he's fine.

Also, that RNH=Kane/Couturier=Staal thing is baloney haha.

I could say RNH=Koivu/Couturier=Lecavalier. Also, Staal had a 100 pt. season in this league, so there.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Dmitrij Jaskin.

Ranked 29th on ISS last list.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=65564
I couldn't tell you.

Old
10-31-2010, 08:40 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Ah, my apologies. For some reason I had it in my head that Stamkos only had like 80 something pts. in his draft year. OK, he had good totals, but not like Tavares numbers or anything. He wasn't a prodigy that people were hyping up for years. Couturier could still get around 90-100 pts. which isn't much different. And who knows what happens after that, he's certainly got the talent to explode and be a big star in the NHL too. Even if he only becomes a regular 80ish pts. player, I certainly won't complain about that. We could use that, eh? It's not like every other team but us has a 90 pt. scorer every year.

As far as Couturier not showing progress, I don't think that's really true. He is playing on a much less talented team than the past couple years, and yet he is on pace to match or exceed last season's point total, although the WJC may derail that. Point is, this is not like Esposito who when Radulov left he fell apart. Couturier is carrying the team now and he's doing even better offensively this year. I think he's fine.

Also, that RNH=Kane/Couturier=Staal thing is baloney haha.

I could say RNH=Koivu/Couturier=Lecavalier. Also, Staal had a 100 pt. season in this league, so there.
Potentially... Potentially...

Staal and Lecavalier are pretty comparable players, Couturier may be more of a Vinny type because of his skating, but I don't like the comparison because people tend to make it due to the Q factor !

Not saying he isn't progressing... I just wanted one of these kids to take his league by storm. They didn't achieved that as of now... Couturier is good, I'm not comparing him to horrible Angelo.

You're hard with Nugent-Hopkins... Koivu before his knee injury was a good player, but the Finn barely had a 70 points season ! As an ex-Habs fan I loved Koivu, but we already have one comparable to Saku in our lineup and he is called Stephen Weiss !

Nugent-Hopkins AND Couturier are much more elite ! Much much more !!

Tallon needed two top-five picks to turn the other franchise around... He will need two top-three picks here but he'll get it done !

Old
10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
GoWingsGo

I think Landeskog is a solid player but also very inconsistent and not a gifted offensive player. He should have a good NHL career but I wouldn't waste a first round pick on him. He's had great games in the OHL but he's had many stinkers too. Way too many stinkers to be considered ready for the NHL. Players like Landeskog can be developed. Players like Strome & Puempel are gifted players who should be taken in the first round before a player like Landeskog. But I'm sure Landeskog will be taken very high in the draft because..because...because....everybody says he should.

GoWingsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Potentially... Potentially...

Staal and Lecavalier are pretty comparable players, Couturier may be more of a Vinny type because of his skating, but I don't like the comparison because people tend to make it due to the Q factor !

Not saying he isn't progressing... I just wanted one of these kids to take his league by storm. They didn't achieved that as of now... Couturier is good, I'm not comparing him to horrible Angelo.

You're hard with Nugent-Hopkins... Koivu before his knee injury was a good player, but the Finn barely had a 70 points season ! As an ex-Habs fan I loved Koivu, but we already have one comparable to Saku in our lineup and he is called Stephen Weiss !

Nugent-Hopkins AND Couturier are much more elite ! Much much more !!

Tallon needed two top-five picks to turn the other franchise around... He will need two top-three picks here but he'll get it done !
I think the Lecavalier comparison is more than just because they both played in the Q. Couturier's game is very similar to Vinny's. He has the same well rounded offensive game, great stickhandling, protects the puck so well with his big frame, so good along the wall, is big and strong like Vinny, and has that vision and ability to make spectacular plays. I think, more accurately Sean is like a cross between E.Staal and Vinny. He's got that defensive awareness and leadership traits that Staal has as well. His skating also looks very similar to Staal.

But when you say Kane vs. Staal, it makes Couturier sound inferior because some people feel Staal has underachieved a little bit so far in his career. I know Koivu was a bad comparison, but I struggled to find a name. You know what I mean though.

I think saying RNH's potential=Kane

and Couturier's potential=E.Staal mixed with Lecavalier in his prime sounds much better.

I wouldn't worry about either of them. Couturier is 3rd in Q scoring. The 1st guy is 3 years older than him and the 2nd guy is 2 years older. And he's only behind the leader by 8 pts. RNH is tied for 4th in the WHL in scoring, and has played 2 less games than the 1st and 2nd guy. While he probably won't catch Craig Cunningham, again, he's 3 years older. The top 2 forwards in this draft might be a little below par scoring-wise than the past few years, but it's not like I'm not excited about them. I still think they are going to be great forwards in the NHL. And it's not like they are off the pace of guys like Hall, Seguin, Stamkos, etc. in recent years by THAT much. We're talking about maybe 10 pts. difference. Maybe a little more. This is not a huge discrepancy. Tell me you would not jump for joy if we landed either Couturier or RNH.

BTW, Duchene only had 79 pts. in his draft year.

Last edited by Markstrom Rules: 10-31-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old
11-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Gudbranson44

why are we already talking as if we've finished last and its april? its november guys and we're not that far behind+ we have fewer games played than most teams.
lets wait till end of february/beginning of march and see where we're at maybe? all this jinxing will land us the 14th overall pick again, just wait and see

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:57 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
why are we already talking as if we've finished last and its april? its november guys and we're not that far behind+ we have fewer games played than most teams.
lets wait till end of february/beginning of march and see where we're at maybe? all this jinxing will land us the 14th overall pick again, just wait and see
That's exactly what I think too... That's why I'm expecting a top-20 pick ! Our team may surprise, and if it does that would mean Booth, Frolik, Matthias, Olesz and Weiss are becoming key contributors to our franchise... Which wouldn't be bad also !!

Old
11-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
You guys are late to the party. We've been talking about this for months now... if not longer. Lol

[Waiter... we're ready. My wife and I will have the Couturier please!]

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Another goal and an assist for Couturier tonight. He's now 2nd in QMJHL scoring with 33 pts., and is 2nd in faceoff wins.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Another goal and an assist for Couturier tonight. He's now 2nd in QMJHL scoring with 33 pts., and is 2nd in faceoff wins.
SO, would you rather have Couturier or playoffs?

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
SO, would you rather have Couturier or playoffs?
Couturier, and I wouldnt even think twice about it.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
BabyJagrov

Maaaan !!

I want an electrifying skater with moves that can get us out of our seats on shootouts (for example)...

I don't want a slow-footed centerman !