HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2011 NHL Draft

Old
11-11-2010, 09:12 AM
BabyJagrov

vCash: 500
We may be in for a top-15 pick guys so don't get too excited...

I'm loving more and more that core group of Booth, Weiss, Frolik, Matthias along with Garrison, Kulikov and Ellerby... Adding two top-three pick (Gudbranson and Couturier) to this roster next year would be a great boost for optimism...

Veterans on this team may not want that to happen though... And those core guys too !

Too bad !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:22 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post

I'm loving more and more that core group of Booth, Weiss, Frolik, Matthias along with Garrison, Kulikov and Ellerby... Adding two top-three pick (Gudbranson and Couturier) to this roster next year would be a great boost for optimism...

Veterans on this team may not want that to happen though... And those core guys too !

Too bad !
Unless we suffer a lot of injuries and/or we clean house at the deadline I think we're unlikely to get a top 5 pick at this point.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:55 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Unless we suffer a lot of injuries and/or we clean house at the deadline I think we're unlikely to get a top 5 pick at this point.
Tallon will clean house and stress that he wants more out of his core guys during the last stretch...

We may have a shot at a top-3 or top-5 pick then, and it will happen unless our guys really are in a playoff-spot already !

The improvements seen so far are great, but they won't be enough through the season. We'll have to play much better !

A top-3 would set us apart ! Really... On to the elite level ! We'll see how the season goes.

Old
11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

One thing to remember, the Oilers, Isles, and Leafs don't have much to sell at the deadline. We do. After that, we could nosedive whereas those other teams might stay relatively the same. And if we are in position to get a top 3 pick, Tallon will definitely do everything he can to make sure we get one. The returns on them may not be that great, but we have a lot of vets other teams would want for depth for the playoffs.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
One thing to remember, the Oilers, Isles, and Leafs don't have much to sell at the deadline. We do. After that, we could nosedive whereas those other teams might stay relatively the same. And if we are in position to get a top 3 pick, Tallon will definitely do everything he can to make sure we get one. The returns on them may not be that great, but we have a lot of vets other teams would want for depth for the playoffs.
The team is pretty good. If we win both of our games in hand we would have the 8th seed(we also got screwed with Edmonton and Toronto plus the refs have made every game more difficult than it should be).

We're in the top 12 for goals scored, goals against, pk, 5/5 FA, shots for, shots against and our PP moved up to 23 iirc. We're doing way better than I expected and I'm not so sure Tallon trades away vets if we're in a position to make the playoffs at the deadline.

I agree that we would fall a lot further if we trade players away.

Old
11-11-2010, 04:37 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
It's still early. And we will get a good player nonetheless.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
The team is pretty good. If we win both of our games in hand we would have the 8th seed(we also got screwed with Edmonton and Toronto plus the refs have made every game more difficult than it should be).

We're in the top 12 for goals scored, goals against, pk, 5/5 FA, shots for, shots against and our PP moved up to 23 iirc. We're doing way better than I expected and I'm not so sure Tallon trades away vets if we're in a position to make the playoffs at the deadline.

I agree that we would fall a lot further if we trade players away.
If? Blaming the refs? That's weak. We have the 5th worst record right now, that's a lottery position. Until we prove otherwise, that's what we are. There's going to be more games like Edmonton and Toronto, there's also going to be games where we get lucky. We're not the only team it's happened to. Also, the Edmonton "skate" goal was a good goal. There was no distinct kicking motion.

We look good on a stats sheet, yet we sit in 26th place. Obviously if we're still in the playoff hunt at the deadline, Tallon won't sell.

Old
11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
If? Blaming the refs? That's weak. We have the 5th worst record right now, that's a lottery position. Until we prove otherwise, that's what we are. There's going to be more games like Edmonton and Toronto, there's also going to be games where we get lucky. We're not the only team it's happened to. Also, the Edmonton "skate" goal was a good goal. There was no distinct kicking motion.

We look good on a stats sheet, yet we sit in 26th place. Obviously if we're still in the playoff hunt at the deadline, Tallon won't sell.
At this point when teams have played such a different amount of games I would rather look at the points per game stat. Many teams have played two or three games more than us.

But if we miss the playoffs, we should make a list of drafttargets if we miss the playoffs and pick in top 14.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
At this point when teams have played such a different amount of games I would rather look at the points per game stat. Many teams have played two or three games more than us.

But if we miss the playoffs, we should make a list of drafttargets if we miss the playoffs and pick in top 14.
We are not that good at points/game either. He was penciling in our two games in hand as wins....I don't know how you can do that.

Old
11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
RainingRats

Quote:

The refs are definitely to blame. That's at least two more points possibly four that this team had unfairly stolen from them. Point being is that if the right calls were made on obvious plays this team would be in a playoff spot/position with games in hand. The rest of our stats are pretty strong evidence that this team is competitive. We're closer to a playoff team than a lottery team at this point of the season, imo.

26th with games in hand(potentially being in 14th place if we win those two in hand).

Old
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
The refs are definitely to blame. That's at least two more points possibly four that this team had unfairly stolen from them. Point being is that if the right calls were made on obvious plays this team would be in a playoff spot/position with games in hand. The rest of our stats are pretty strong evidence that this team is competitive. We're closer to a playoff team than a lottery team at this point of the season, imo.

26th with games in hand(potentially being in 14th place if we win those two in hand).
Other teams have gotten bad breaks too. We're not the only team. The Edmonton goal was a good goal, and even if Orr's goal doesn't count, no one knows how that game might have turned out. Maybe we end up going to OT, maybe not. Maybe 1 point difference? Not a big deal. We could have 4 more points...yeah, and if ifs were skiffs we'd all be sailors. We are 6-7. The refs haven't played a major part of where the Panthers are right now, the Panthers have. Stats are stats, results are results. I'm still waiting for this team to break out and climb into a playoff position like people keep saying they will. Until that happens, we are where we are. And that's definitely closer to dead last than to a playoff position. In the standings, or in points per game. Any way you want to cut it, that's where we are.

Old
11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Erick*

+7 goal differential (every team with at least a +5 right now is in the top 8 in their respective conference)
8th in shots per game (32.4)
T-14th in shots allowed per game (29.1)
7th in goals per game (3.08)
T-10th in goals allowed per game (2.54)

Reasons to think this is not a lottery team, based on the way they've performed thus far this year.

Not to mention, this team still has Tomas Vokoun, who will likely steal some points, as the year progresses.

It's difficult to believe in a tanked season, right now.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Other teams have gotten bad breaks too. We're not the only team. The Edmonton goal was a good goal, and even if Orr's goal doesn't count, no one knows how that game might have turned out. Maybe we end up going to OT, maybe not. Maybe 1 point difference? Not a big deal. We could have 4 more points...yeah, and if ifs were skiffs we'd all be sailors. We are 6-7. The refs haven't played a major part of where the Panthers are right now, the Panthers have. Stats are stats, results are results. I'm still waiting for this team to break out and climb into a playoff position like people keep saying they will. Until that happens, we are where we are. And that's definitely closer to dead last than to a playoff position. In the standings, or in points per game. Any way you want to cut it, that's where we are.
I get your point, but you do realize we missed the playoffs a couple years ago because of just 1point right? My point is that in a sport that is decided by points and us being a team that needs every point possible 1point could again be the difference whether we make the playoffs or not.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I get your point, but you do realize we missed the playoffs a couple years ago because of just 1point right? My point is that in a sport that is decided by points and us being a team that needs every point possible 1point could again be the difference whether we make the playoffs or not.
Agree !

And I don't want you posters to get back on your first opinion just because it's in the past... That Horcoff goal was clearly a kicking motion (yet from only one camera angle), and that wasn't a good goal ! Never was, never will... Even if it's confusing because the NHL is saying it's a goal !

I think we are playing a little bit better than we should... And yet we aren't in a good position ! When our stats go back to normal (under middle of the pack I'd say), we'll fall !

I don't want this team to be a 8th or 10th in the East... That's not what we need ! We need a strong season, something like 5th or 6th, proving those guys are for real... Or we need to finish at 15th...

But finishing between those two numbers will get our team into trouble more than anything, and I'm thinking that we are heading right there... And that's a shame !! Really !!!

Old
11-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:

It was most definately a " DISTINCT KICKING MOTION" I've watched that replay a dozen times and he most definately moves his skate to deflect the puck in the net and also gives it a little push towards the net which is a kicking motion.
When it comes to the refs, well.... I feel like they stole the Edm and Tor game away from us, even if we ended up on an OT loss or SO loss we still deserved a chance to make it that far. Other than that I don't blame the refs for much because every other team in the league gets weak calls and bad calls and you can't try to play victim all the time. Yes, we do sit 26th right now, but there is what? 3 or 4 points between us and 5th place? So it really is too early to say we're a playoff team or a lottery team.

Last edited by Pantherfan12: 11-12-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
My point is that I don't think we are going to be anywhere near the playoffs at the end of the season, and we are much closer to dead last in the league than to a playoff spot right now.

Old
11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
It was most definately a " DISTINCT KICKING MOTION" I've watched that replay a dozen times and he most definately moves his skate to deflect the puck in the net and also gives it a little push towards the net which is a kicking motion.
When it comes to the refs, well.... I feel like they stole the Edm and Tor game away from us, even if we ended up on an OT loss or SO loss we still deserved a chance to make it that far. Other than that I don't blame the refs for much because every other team in the league gets weak calls and bad calls and you can't try to play victim all the time. Yes, we do sit 26th right now, but there is what? 3 or 4 points between us and 5th place? So it really is too early to say we're a playoff team or a lottery team.
It was not a distinct kicking motion. You are aloud to deflect the puck in the net with your skate. You're allowed to turn it and lift it up. You just can't kick like you are kicking a soccer ball. It was a good goal.

Right now we are 5 points out of a playoff spot, but only 2 pts. out of dead last. We sit in 27th place. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Old
11-12-2010, 06:18 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
It was not a distinct kicking motion. You are aloud to deflect the puck in the net with your skate. You're allowed to turn it and lift it up. You just can't kick like you are kicking a soccer ball. It was a good goal.
Wrong... Wrong... And... Guess it... Wrong !

Good goal by the refs... Not a good goal by the NHL rulesbook !

Old
11-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:

No...it's not.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:

Quote:
No...it's not.
Quote:

Right now we are 5 points out of a playoff spot, but only 2 pts. out of dead last. We sit in 27th place. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
Your right, I will agree with MR that was a good goal according to the rules book, but IMO that rule should be taken out because I think if you turn your skate to deflect the puck into the net it should be considered the same as kicking it in.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:11 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Your right, I will agree with MR that was a good goal according to the rules book, but IMO that rule should be taken out because I think if you turn your skate to deflect the puck into the net it should be considered the same as kicking it in.
Im with MR too. It has to be a distinctive kicking motion towards the net, which I didnt notice on the goal.

I think its very tough to remove that rule, because a lot of pucks go off of skates, and aside from that distinctive kick, it would be very hard to differentiate what was accidental or on purpose.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:54 AM
BabyJagrov

If he doesn't extend his leg on this... I don't know what to say to all of you guys...

Just because the puck doesn't stand in the crease, and the guy comes in at full speed throwing his leg backward then forward to "shoot" the puck, doesn't mean it isn't a kick...

You play soccer ? That's exactly how Pipo Inzaghi would have scored a goal with that kind of pass... Please...

Old
11-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:

If he doesn't extend his leg on this... I don't know what to say to all of you guys...

Just because the puck doesn't stand in the crease, and the guy comes in at full speed throwing his leg backward then forward to "shoot" the puck, doesn't mean it isn't a kick...

You play soccer ? That's exactly how Pipo Inzaghi would have scored a goal with that kind of pass... Please...
Dude, he barely moved his foot. All he really did was turn his skate. He maybe moved his skate forward an inch aside from the forward motion of his body that was pushing him forward. That goal is completely fine, you're allowed to turn your skate. They put the word "distinct" in the rule book for a reason. It has to be obvious.

Old
11-27-2010, 10:41 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Update by Red line on their 2011 rankings

There seems to be a Top 4 now. RNH, Couturier, Landeskog and Larsson. McKenzie stated so (reliable source), and from the recent updates of lists ; it seems Landeskog is certainly in the mix now.

Interestingly Redline have Landeskog ahead of Larsson. Personally, i don't agree. Larsson is still have a rocksolid year Defensively and apparently is beginning to turn the corner. He is still the best Swedish player available this year IMO. But certainly Landeskog is definitely a Top 5 pick right now. He'll make the NHL next year too. Has it all ; the only big question is how much Offensive upside he has and apparently there is more there than scouts though.

Other interesting parts to this particular ranking are as follows ;

- Saad at 5. From everything i've read this seems a little high. Personally i wouldn't take him there.
- Suprised to see Musil at 8. He may drop out of the top 10. Great tools though
- Strome is now Top ten material. I'd take him over Saad.
- Puempel is falling. MR predicted it kinda.
- Ambroz is definitely falling. If we had a late 1st i wouldn't take him.
- Bartschi and Rattie from Portland are definitely rising. Both could see rises like their team mates Nino and Johansen last year, although they won't reach Top 5. Potential Top 15 picks.
- Namestnikov is a little high for me at 10. I prefer the other Russian Khoklachev. I think AK goes higher than Namestnikov and he could go around where Burmistrov went last year
- Armia seems to be ranked all over the place. But i like his package
- Huberdeau seems to be gaining ground over Juroc for best seadogs prospect
- IMO watch for Jensen to rise. Definitely a better long-term prospect than Lessio or Jenner.
- Jaskin got injured and will be out for aleast a month. May hurt his stock. Not guaranteed 1st.

Lot of interesting movement.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Update by Red line on their 2011 rankings

There seems to be a Top 4 now. RNH, Couturier, Landeskog and Larsson. McKenzie stated so (reliable source), and from the recent updates of lists ; it seems Landeskog is certainly in the mix now.

Interestingly Redline have Landeskog ahead of Larsson. Personally, i don't agree. Larsson is still have a rocksolid year Defensively and apparently is beginning to turn the corner. He is still the best Swedish player available this year IMO. But certainly Landeskog is definitely a Top 5 pick right now. He'll make the NHL next year too. Has it all ; the only big question is how much Offensive upside he has and apparently there is more there than scouts though.

Other interesting parts to this particular ranking are as follows ;

- Saad at 5. From everything i've read this seems a little high. Personally i wouldn't take him there.
- Suprised to see Musil at 8. He may drop out of the top 10. Great tools though
- Strome is now Top ten material. I'd take him over Saad.
- Puempel is falling. MR predicted it kinda.
- Ambroz is definitely falling. If we had a late 1st i wouldn't take him.
- Bartschi and Rattie from Portland are definitely rising. Both could see rises like their team mates Nino and Johansen last year, although they won't reach Top 5. Potential Top 15 picks.
- Namestnikov is a little high for me at 10. I prefer the other Russian Khoklachev. I think AK goes higher than Namestnikov and he could go around where Burmistrov went last year
- Armia seems to be ranked all over the place. But i like his package
- Huberdeau seems to be gaining ground over Juroc for best seadogs prospect
- IMO watch for Jensen to rise. Definitely a better long-term prospect than Lessio or Jenner.
- Jaskin got injured and will be out for aleast a month. May hurt his stock. Not guaranteed 1st.

Lot of interesting movement.
What kind of player do you compare Landeskog to?

Well it seems that we could be out of the running by the deadline, so with a good housecleaning, we should have a realistic shot at the top four. Im still hoping for Couturier because of his abilities and size, but if Landeskog can produce for us, then Ill take it. I just want to see some legit projected top line forwards in this organization.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote