HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Brylin - Should Rangers sign him?

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 04:32 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Sergei Brylin - Should Rangers sign him?

Should the rangers sign him in the offseason? I say yes. He is a Group V ufa. And is good defensivly. He can play centre or wing. And has played with Holik in the past. If devils let him go, Rangers should sign him.

If a player has completed at least 10 seasons of professional hockey (in the NHL or minor leagues) and earned less than the NHL average salary during the previous season, he has the right to become Unrestricted Free Agent. Eligible players have until July 15 to elect Group V status. A player can be a Group V Free Agent only once in his career.

Sergei Brylin ($1,550,000)

Old
06-07-2004, 04:39 PM
JR#9*

IMO---no.

Another player who plays better within the Devs system then what he'd be like without it.

Plus we have to worry more about top end talent rather than role players.

Old
06-07-2004, 04:42 PM
OldBlueSeats

nada!

Old
06-07-2004, 04:47 PM
devildan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
IMO---no.

Another player who plays better within the Devs system then what he'd be like without it.

Plus we have to worry more about top end talent rather than role players.
Exactly. He also isnt worth the type of money he is going to ask for. I for one hope the devils do not try to resign him.

Old
06-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Fletch

It would depend...

on who else is signed and/or traded for, along with his cost. He's good defensively (and not bad on the PP) and can score 15-20 goals and would look real nice alongside Holik, with whom he's played with before with success for a couple seasons. I wouldn't say flat-out no, but he wouldn't be a top priority either.

Old
06-07-2004, 05:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Nope. Brylin has product of the system written all over him.

Old
06-07-2004, 06:22 PM
NYR469

let holik play between 2 kids like murray & ortmeyer on a checking line

Old
06-07-2004, 09:09 PM
pld459666

I would look at him

possibly to play LW on Jagr's line.

A reasonably sound defensive player that can score as well. Not a bad choice for that spot.

But if the money is the same between him and Konowalchuk then I'll take Kono.

Old
06-07-2004, 09:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Id like Holik Brylin Konowalchuk line, that would be good. On defense, id take a stab at Cullimore and Modry.. Modry is just as good as Poti offensivly and at least plays better defense. If it makes Poti expendable, im for it.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:33 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Id like Holik Brylin Konowalchuk line, that would be good. On defense, id take a stab at Cullimore and Modry.. Modry is just as good as Poti offensivly and at least plays better defense. If it makes Poti expendable, im for it.
how bout instead we let young players play and rebuild that way maybe we might have a chance of being good again sometime in our lifetime instead of repeating the same mistakes we've made the last 7 years?

Old
06-07-2004, 10:35 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

We cant have a team full of kids. Anyways I was suggesting a real checking line. We had not had one in years. If we signed Brylin and Konowalchuk, their would still be room for Balej, Lundmark, Prucha, Murray, etc.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
We cant have a team full of kids. Anyways I was suggesting a real checking line. We had not had one in years. If we signed Brylin and Konowalchuk, their would still be room for Balej, Lundmark, Prucha, Murray, etc.

We also can't have a team full of third line grinders.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:53 PM
NYR469

Quote:
or considering that most of our kids are 3rd/4th line role players, we could make a real checking line using the kids

Old
06-08-2004, 02:01 AM
funky

after watching Modry play to many games on the Kings blue line I can honestly say he would be a horrid mistake. The Rags need defensive defenceman not another Poti clone who is just as soft just a little older and a little cheaper. Go after Matvichuk or Zhitnek. Modry belongs in Russia or somewhere way far away

Old
06-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I have had enough of X devils coming to NY thank you.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:01 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

yeah its a tough call. I actually like Brylin, he has a good talent level but has been asked to check and backcheck.

If its a choice between Brylin and another Free agent vet, I would pick Brylin. But if its brylin or a kid I would choose the kid.

For the record brylin is very underated.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:22 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
yeah its a tough call. I actually like Brylin, he has a good talent level but has been asked to check and backcheck.

If its a choice between Brylin and another Free agent vet, I would pick Brylin. But if its brylin or a kid I would choose the kid.

For the record brylin is very underated.

Yea if I was Sather my top 3 ufa targets are Rolston, Brylin and Zhitnik

Old
06-08-2004, 10:06 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

hmm I would have gone with Conroy, Carney and perhaps Brylin (if they don't bring up a kid) but rolston ain't chopped liver and Zhitnik has very good skills especially on the powerplay. He would be a nice pairing for Kaspar.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:56 AM
kazo

Quote:
You can't have a team full of kids? Well, guess what. That's how it's going to be because you won't be seeing any UFA's worth their salt banging on the Ranger's door anytime soon. And why would you want to sign UFA's of that caliber? So you can continue to finish 10th in the conference?

You either go all out via the FA route or you take your lumps and develop the organization the right way

I can't believe we're still having this conversation.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Fletch

kazo...

if the GM wasn't an idiot and the coach didn't suck, you can strategically acquire UFAs and still groom kids the right way. Throwing three guys on a top line who have 50 NHL games' experience is no way to groom any youth. And especially with this Rangers club where many of the youth may not be NHL-ready, there is a need for veterans here and there, but you go about this with a plan. You have important positions available for a couple kids to battle out who are worthy.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

No more Jersey guys

Old
06-08-2004, 01:00 PM
pld459666

there's a balance that can and should be searched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
You can't have a team full of kids? Well, guess what. That's how it's going to be because you won't be seeing any UFA's worth their salt banging on the Ranger's door anytime soon. And why would you want to sign UFA's of that caliber? So you can continue to finish 10th in the conference?

You either go all out via the FA route or you take your lumps and develop the organization the right way

I can't believe we're still having this conversation.
in terms of youth and vets.

the fact that this team is really lacking the hardworking kind of vets, there's only 2 forwards I would target and be happy to get either one.

Conroy or Konowalchuk.

Both players fit a need, both players play sound defensively, with Conroy being a real good fit with Jagr. Kono would also look good playing LW on Jagr's line as well.

There's going to be an abundance of spots open for youngsters. This tema is in serious need of players than can log top line minutes and I don't believe that we have the players at the C and LW positions to warrant that right now.

Say for instance we signed both Kono and Conroy, and a youngster emerges as a top line talent, we would then have the luxury of playing the 2 vets on the 2nd and 3rd lines which only makes our team better. The problem is having a coach and GM with the balls to make that call.

There's a balance that we need to reach, to much in either direction and we are going nowhere.

Old
06-08-2004, 01:09 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
if the GM wasn't an idiot and the coach didn't suck, you can strategically acquire UFAs and still groom kids the right way. Throwing three guys on a top line who have 50 NHL games' experience is no way to groom any youth. And especially with this Rangers club where many of the youth may not be NHL-ready, there is a need for veterans here and there, but you go about this with a plan. You have important positions available for a couple kids to battle out who are worthy.
Don't you think it will be difficult, if not impossible, to attract ufa's of any value as long as the team is going to go through what it's going to go through? I would think that there won't exactly be a line of players knocking on Sather's door looking for FA contracts.

Old
06-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Fletch

I don't disagree with that kazo...

but it doesn't mean Sather should put his head between his legs and not pursue these guys.

Old
06-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
The last time we signed "good defensive fowards" was Keene and Taylor(Just won the cup) and that didn't work out too well either. At the same time I do think there will be UFA signings for a G, D, and 2-3 fowards.

Closed Thread