HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Drying Gear in an Apartment

Old
10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Drying Gear in an Apartment

This past summer I moved into a one-bedroom apartment that unfortunately doesnít have a very good place for me to dry my hockey gear without stinking up my place.

I donít want to use my bathroom because my games are frequently late at night and I donít want to have to screw around with cleaning it up first thing in the morning before getting ready for work the next day. And my closet space is taken up by clothes.

Right now Iíve been leaving a window open at night and setting everything up on a hockey drying rack and leaving it there to dry over night. But when it gets cold this wonít be possible.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to best dry my gear without stinking up my place?

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Pog Form

Drying rack is a great idea. I would also suggest spraying everything thoroughly with a mix of water and rubbing alcohol after every time you play. About 50/50 if it's the weaker 70% alcohol, or about 75/25 respectively if it's the stronger 90+% stuff. This will kill bacteria and prevent stink.

Once it's colder out and leaving the window open isn't an option, definitely use a fan (you probably already do), but you may also want to look into a dehumidifier to suck up the moisture.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Lario Melieux*

Get one of these and it will suck out the stink, as well as keep the cold from getting in.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've actually never thought about spraying my gear with an alcohol & water mixture but it does make sense. I'll try that out on some of my gear like shin pads and pants. Well continuing to wash things like socks/jerseys regularly in the the wash.

And yes, I already do use a fan and a dehumidifier.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The fan will also suck out your expensive warm air out into the cold.

I live in an apartment, and I've got a pretty good system. Get $20 wire rack from Home Depot (or Target, or Walmart, or wherever). Get a spray bottle and fill it half with rubbing alcohol and half with water. Throw a little fabric softener in there if you're feeling kinky. Get home, put all the gear on the rack, spray it down, and it's dry in the morning.

If it smells terrible, get some laundry detergent and some OxyClean (or go for the detergent with OxyClean in it). Fill up your bath tub with hot water and some detergent. Soak the pads (not your skates! and probably not your gloves either) for 20 minutes, drain, fill with hot water, and soak again to rinse. Let them dry for a couple days, then they should smell fresh(er).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
densetsu

Your best choice is to find a small, confined area, and have a fan and dehumidifier running. Sounds like you've already ruled out using your bedroom, bedroom closet, and bathroom. Do you have anything like a storage closet? Or you could ask your landlord if you could use a utility or storage area somewhere else in the building.

Alternatively, if you have an exhaust vent somewhere in your apartment, you could also construct a "drying box" for your gear. Pop an exhaust fan on the top of this box, then run dryer vent tubing from the box to, say, your bathroom's exhaust fan (or even just into your bathroom, and turn on the bathroom fan). Again, sounds like you don't want to use the bathroom, but you could put this box just outside the bathroom.

Whatever you do, though, alcohol spray is highly recommended to keep the smells in check.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

I have the same problem, but it really doesn't bother me for some reason. I have it hanging all on a door right when I walk into my dormroom. Someone told me if I ever get sick of the smell take dryer sheets and put them inside of things, they will absorb the smell. Good luck.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:40 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580

I don't have a place to hang my stuff and wait for it to dry, so I made this yesterday, haha. I'm gonna get another fan and put it next to the one that's there. Shove this thing in my closet and it should work like a charm. I'll get to test it Wednesday night. Cost $17 minus the fans. It'll hold all my gear with the wet bits facing the fans.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote