HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Brunet talks about criticism he gets as an analyst

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
  #26
Bob Cole
Registered User
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,312
vCash: 500
anyone know what his annual salary is?

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:02 AM
  #27
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguy10 View Post
anyone know what his annual salary is?
It must be 6 figures.

What I can confirm is that in his last contract RDS agreed to give him 3 all expense paid wekeends at Mont Tremblant with a francophone player of his choice.... but only valid in the off-season.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:05 AM
  #28
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
Stop saying he's not that bad, HE IS BAD

I have no problem with the guy or the player, he should talk between the periods, but he can't do the play by play at all.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
  #29
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
It must be 6 figures.

What I can confirm is that in his last contract RDS agreed to give him 3 all expense paid wekeends at Mont Tremblant with a francophone player of his choice.... but only valid in the off-season.
Guillaume, Guillaume and Guillaume?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:15 AM
  #30
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
This thread has gone too far...

Trying to find his kids to harass them ?

Come on guys
bonjour benoit... comment ca va?

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:13 AM
  #31
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Brunet gets bashed for the same reasons as Price: he's the only show in town and people will always find something to ***** about. Both do a very difficult job so it's easy to find flaws in their games and whine.

In the end I think Brunet does a pretty solid job and is superior to Pedneault imo.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:20 AM
  #32
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Brunet gets bashed for the same reasons as Price: he's the only show in town and people will always find something to ***** about. Both do a very difficult job so it's easy to find flaws in their games and whine.

In the end I think Brunet does a pretty solid job and is superior to Pedneault imo.
I disagree about Pedneault. I thought he was much better then Brunet. At least he had sources around the league and could speak french correctly. I know many people don't mind that part of Brunet's weaknesses, but that is the first thing that stands out for me when I listen to him, and it really annoys me.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:21 AM
  #33
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Even if he's not really good, I noticed he improved since last year. He might be ok in a few years from now.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
  #34
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,217
vCash: 500
I dont like that everyone is his good friend.

''On va en parler a note bon ami Lou Lamoriello''

year ... right

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:27 AM
  #35
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,275
vCash: 506
I know it's early but I think Brunet's been better this season. He's lightened up on AK (he actually said some good things about him) and he's not pulling his "oye oye oye" all the time. Nobody becomes a great announcer overnight, it takes some practice. I'm not saying he'll be great but it would take anyone a few seasons to get comfortable in the position.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:32 AM
  #36
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Agreed.

However, there's only one way to rationalize Brunet's bad work; at least he's not Jack Edwards.
I think this is something most Habs fans truly do overlook, however. For understandable reasons. But honestly, if you took a tour of all the local broadcast teams in the league, you'd find an awful lot of really annoying broadcasters and question their competence too. Brunet isn't at the absolute worst end of the scale, IMHO. You can tune him out. Others intrude much more annoyingly on the game.

And then, when there are so many "bad" ones, it probably also helps underline just how hard the job actually is. Even beyond the point about not being able to satisfy all of the people all the time, it's hard to sound intelligent and interesting talking for a couple hours about something (our beloved Habs!) so many people are so sensitive about and attuned to.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
  #37
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...a-critique.php

In short: He is aware of the critics he gets online. Tries to improve especially his French. Compares his critics to those Yves Pedneault got and believes his successor will likely face them too. He believes part of the problem is the number of games he is involved in (129 + shows last year) since RDS is a monopoly for Hockey in French and there is no one else he can be compared to. Some try to compare him to Gilles Tremblay but that is not fair since Tremblay was on the radio and TV for 28 years. Although he is not personally concerned with the critics, he would consider quitting if his kids were being harassed at school.

Everyone knows what to do now?

I personally don't find him that terrible.
The fact that Brunet says part of the problem is that there is no one for him to be compared to is completely idiotic. We can easily compare him to the person he replaced, Yvon Pedneault. And for all of Yvon's faults, he was a MUCH better analyst then Benoit Brunet. I think most people will concede that. We can also compare him to Dany Dubé on CKAC who does an amazing job in the EXACT SAME POSITION. There are your comparison Benoit! And this is what frustrates so many listeners - they do listen to other analysts and they realize that there are people that are way better-suited for the position.

In his article, Mathias Brunet even points out that he gets so annoyed at times that he is forced to change channels and I think this is the case for many listeners. This season I believe CBC is showing 28 Habs games and TSN is showing 10 games and Sportsnet will probably show the Habs/Sens games. That gives the fans an alternative channel choice for about half the games. At this point, if RDS cares about its ratings, it will have to realize that when people are opting for another channel specifically because they cannot stand listening to one member the cast then something has to be done (although many Quebec fans don't understand english so they're stuck with RDS). And the fact that respected journalists like Mathias Brunet are calling out one of their colleagues proves there is reason for concern.

Benoit Brunet seems to think that anyone in his position will get criticized including his replacement. I don't think that's the case necessarily. I mean just look at his colleague, Pierre Houde. We probably hear him more than Brunet and there are hardly any criticisms regarding his work. I'm not saying Brunet's replacement will be free of all criticism but I am CONVINCED that somebody that is better-suited for that position can be found.

The fact is Benoit Brunet may be a great guy and I feel for his family. But he is ruining the experience for many listeners by his mediocre french and his subpar analyst skills. And that too is a fact.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
  #38
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I know it's early but I think Brunet's been better this season. He's lightened up on AK (he actually said some good things about him) and he's not pulling his "oye oye oye" all the time. Nobody becomes a great announcer overnight, it takes some practice. I'm not saying he'll be great but it would take anyone a few seasons to get comfortable in the position.
The problem for most fans is, why does he have to "practice" on RDS where a million people are watching? That's not time for "practice", that's prime-time baby! If he wants to practice he should be doing the non-Habs games on RDS like he was doing in the past. Let someone who is more qualified take the spotlight until he is ready (if ever).

If I follow your reasoning, I should be allowed to make the Habs squad and play because practice makes perfect - and hopefully in a few season I'll get comfortable in that position... Would anyone of you be okay with that? Hells no! Same goes for Brunet.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
  #39
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I'm bilingual, but if the games not on CBC or TSN, I use the CJAD voice over...

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
  #40
Patrice Brisebois
Registered User
 
Patrice Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Is english Brunet's first language? Everyone is mentioning how bad his french is (my own french isn't at a level where I could notice)

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
  #41
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
I'm bilingual, but if the games not on CBC or TSN, I use the CJAD voice over...
I might start doing that. Is it synchronized with the play on TV?

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:58 AM
  #42
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I might start doing that. Is it synchronized with the play on TV?
Yes it is, I think they know many do it.

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
  #43
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
Yes it is, I think they know many do it.
Damn really? Because I know CKAC isn't, it's always a few seconds and a half earlier then my HDTV.

If I watch RDS on my tube TV, CKAC is about one second earlier. I never tried CJAD though.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:04 PM
  #44
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Damn really? Because I know CKAC isn't, it's always a few seconds and a half earlier then my HDTV.

If I watch RDS on my tube TV, CKAC is about one second earlier. I never tried CJAD though.
I don't know how it is if your on the net, but I have my radio connected to the same speakers as my TV, it's almost spot on.

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:18 PM
  #45
kernkraft
Registered User
 
kernkraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Mathias Brunet comments on the article:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/20...benoit-brunet/

I agree with him almost 100% as usual. Maybe he should be the next analyst.

The problem would be minimal if RDS did what CBC does for its HD feeds: mix the commentators to the center speaker. I just disconnect it . That gives me only the audio from the arena, which makes pretty much like I'm there.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
  #46
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
When I was a kid I even did the CJAD synchro method so if it was in sync then I can't imagine it being out of sync now.

However I love the excitement the RDS guys bring to the table. Sure they may have their shortcomings but hey they love the game and that's all that matters to my English ears!

Plus I can figure out what's going on in the game without somebody telling me, you know it's what I use those two things called eyes for. Honestly it doesn't make me enjoy the game any less but hey I'm an anglo so Brunet probably doesn't bother me as much for that reason.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
  #47
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
Is english Brunet's first language? Everyone is mentioning how bad his french is (my own french isn't at a level where I could notice)
French is his first language, he just doesn't have a very ''educated'' french. He probably learnt much of his hockey vocabulary in english however, I guess he'd have a easier time doing his job using english words. French sentence structure + english hockey terms and he'd rock

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
  #48
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
I kind of feel for him because obviously he's not good but it's not his fault he was offered such a high profile position while not being able to do it properly. I blame RDS for not caring enough about the quality of language by first of all giving him the job and then leaving him there after he proved to just not be good enough. I'm sure a better replacement could be found (Joel Bouchard would already be a big improvement), but they don't seem to care. The Canadiens games on RDS are among the most popular and important TV programming in Quebec, and yet it displays badly spoken French time and time again. It's just sad really.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
  #49
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
When I was a kid I even did the CJAD synchro method so if it was in sync then I can't imagine it being out of sync now.

However I love the excitement the RDS guys bring to the table. Sure they may have their shortcomings but hey they love the game and that's all that matters to my English ears!

Plus I can figure out what's going on in the game without somebody telling me, you know it's what I use those two things called eyes for. Honestly it doesn't make me enjoy the game any less but hey I'm an anglo so Brunet probably doesn't bother me as much for that reason.
That's mostly Pierre Houde's doing. If you listen carefully the next time the Habs score for that little chuckle in the background of "ET LE BUT!", that's the extent of what Brunet brings to the table

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
  #50
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
That's mostly Pierre Houde's doing. If you listen carefully the next time the Habs score for that little chuckle in the background of "ET LE BUT!", that's the extent of what Brunet brings to the table
Yeah I know, wasn't in any way shape or form trying to defend Brunet in the process of my post

What I mean to say is that I have my reasoning for watching the game on RDS. First of all the CBC guys are brutal but I can understand what they're saying, second of all sportsnet is a joke, third of all TSN only shows a limited number of habs games

On a more serious note though Houde does most of the talking and is the better one anyways. I guess the point I was making though is that if your understanding of French isn't the best Brunet is far less annoying - Houde is exciting though and I like the way he calls the game even if I can't understand everything that is said.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.