HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Preseason Bill Guerin thread.. (Post #405 Guerin Released)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2010, 08:22 AM
  #1
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Preseason Bill Guerin thread.. (Post #405 Guerin Released)

I think we need to dedicate one thread to Bill Guerin..

Two games into preseason huge amount of turnovers, below average skating, weak along the boards, one lucky goal and one SO goal. So far he's been very disappointing imo. I am willing to see more and maybe he will get better but what are the chances of that? Lets keep this thread going to the next 6 games? Is it really a big deal if we sign him 500K league minimum? Who’s spot do you think he will take if Holmgren decides to give him contract?

Thoughts?



what can you do?


Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-24-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:25 AM
  #2
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
My thoughts...

I was so appalled by his game last night, and the various tweets that make it seem as if Guerin already has a spot on this team. I'm really, really scared. I didn't want him on this team because I didn't think he had anything left. Now, I'm even more comfortable with my initial thought.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:28 AM
  #3
Talbetts
Registered User
 
Talbetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
LAZY! People call Carter Lazy.....this guy is on another level. I dont know if it's just that he is too old, but he floats every single shift that he is out there.

If he makes the team, I hope it is more to mentor young guys and he gets UNDER 12 minutes a night. I'd rather Forsberg on one leg, for sure.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:31 AM
  #4
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,505
vCash: 500
I'd rather sign Recchi to a 15 year contract than Guerin to a 15 minute contract.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
  #5
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
He's done absolutely nothing through two games to merit a spot on this roster, but from all accounts his spot is already pretty much a done deal.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:35 AM
  #6
TOCxNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
Completely agree. Looks very washed up out there.

Not the type of play to be expected when one is trying to make a team. In fact, you typically play above expectation when trying to make a team and then dwindle off a bit. If this is his 110%, he should not be anywhere close to this team.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:35 AM
  #7
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I didn't see anything after the first period last night. He didn't look too bad at that point. Was it really that bad? I didn't think he looked bad in the first game either. He isn't looking great but not bad by any means (from what I've seen).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:37 AM
  #8
TOCxNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I didn't see anything after the first period last night. He didn't look too bad at that point. Was it really that bad? I didn't think he looked bad in the first game either. He isn't looking great but not bad by any means (from what I've seen).
Lots of lazy turnovers....like just "giving" the puck away. He would fit right in the AHL. A shame really because I thought maybe he'd be a good fit on this team.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:41 AM
  #9
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind giving Guerin a contract if we had a whole we needed to plug, but we are at the max roster, so we would be forced to move someone.

I do not think he is an enough of an improvement to warrant trading/waiving someone younger with more of an upside.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:41 AM
  #10
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
It seems like we get one of these roster players every year coming out of camp. Pyorala, Radovan Somik, Brian Savage, Jon Sim, Jiri Dopita. They make the club by somehow impressing management and the coaching staff. Dopita was the "omg best player evarrrrr." Pyorala showed promise, Sim had had a good year with the Phantoms, Somik looked like... I have no idea. I'm guessing Guerin is bringing good things to the locker room. Who knows?

What can you do?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
  #11
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,791
vCash: 500
The worst part is that he'll take a roster spot from another young player who has the potential to improve.

I have to wonder where exactly they want him to play....

He doesn't belong on a shutdown line with Lappy and Betts.

Richards
Carter
Briere
Giroux
JVR
Leino
Hartnell

That's 7 (off the top of my head) top 6 players, and I'm likely missing a couple.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
  #12
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,108
vCash: 769
Pass

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:49 AM
  #13
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
If we can rotate Guerin with Shelley and Powe (Guerin on 3rd line, Powe on 4th when Shelley is scratched and Powe on 3rd, Shelley on 4th when Guerin is scratched) then I have no problem "trading Carcillo's cap hit for a league minimum contract of Guerin.

That way we can save up as much cap space as possible for the hopes of getting a goalie at the trade deadling.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
  #14
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The worst part is that he'll take a roster spot from another young player who has the potential to improve.

I have to wonder where exactly they want him to play....

He doesn't belong on a shutdown line with Lappy and Betts.

Richards
Carter
Briere
Giroux
JVR
Leino
Hartnell

That's 7 (off the top of my head) top 6 players, and I'm likely missing a couple.
They want him to be able to help out a scoring line, which neither Carcillo or Powe (though, Shelley might be able to) are really all that great for. Whether he can do that needs to be decided in camp... if he can't, he can't.

However, it won't be the end of the world if we give a cheap 1-year deal to him. We have cap space to give on D (you really can't carry 8 D on the cap... and it would be a huge disservice to Bartulis to have him as an 8 just rotting in the press box), but it won't be enough to address the real problem (goal) this season, so for this year the lost cap space won't be a big deal.

We're absolutely stacked with depth everywhere else... so making a "big" trade that carries a cap gain with it shouldn't be something this team is going to be considering down the line unless someone is seriously hurt, at which point LTIR would be the solution to the cap problems anyway.

Right now we have 877K in cap space, and that's with both Bartulis (600K and non-waiver exempts as of now) and Walker (1.3M) on the roster. We also have extra forwards who would be gone if Guerin were signed.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:11 AM
  #15
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If Guerin signs and that means Carcillo is gone then I will flip the **** out. Not because Carcillo is overly amazing or anything but why dump a young, effective player for a one year train wreck?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:12 AM
  #16
ctay
Registered User
 
ctay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lansdowne, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
There's no way Guerin gets a contract with the Flyers. He's here because Ville Leino is injured and they needed a right winger. As soon as things get going, Guerin is out.

ctay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:25 AM
  #17
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The worst part is that he'll take a roster spot from another young player who has the potential to improve.

I have to wonder where exactly they want him to play....

He doesn't belong on a shutdown line with Lappy and Betts.

Richards
Carter
Briere
Giroux
JVR
Leino
Hartnell

That's 7 (off the top of my head) top 6 players, and I'm likely missing a couple.
Zherdev's up there too. Guerin would be the 9th 'scoring' forward. I'm honestly getting a little worried about our forwards' defensive ability. Not a lot there (top 9, at least), and Guerin does absolutely nothing to help it.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:28 AM
  #18
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,250
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctay View Post
There's no way Guerin gets a contract with the Flyers. He's here because Ville Leino is injured and they needed a right winger. As soon as things get going, Guerin is out.
They need Guerin to win pre-season games? That's not really how it works.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:29 AM
  #19
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Before camp, I was a fan of the idea to bring him in on a tryout basis. I thought he could still play, provide great leadership, and would be a solid complement to the Kids line of JVR and Giroux.

After seeing these two games, though, I don't want him. I want to see more of him through the rest of camp to see if he maybe just doesn't have his legs yet, but at this point it's just looking like he's got a bad case of the Old.

If he doesn't improve significantly (incredibly unlikely), cut the old boy loose.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:31 AM
  #20
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They need Guerin to win pre-season games? That's not really how it works.
Homer is a moron, though. He'll sign Guerin and pay for it with Powe being on LTIR and then when Powe gets back there will be a cluster**** with the salary cap.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:31 AM
  #21
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They want him to be able to help out a scoring line, which neither Carcillo or Powe (though, Shelley might be able to) are really all that great for. Whether he can do that needs to be decided in camp... if he can't, he can't.

However, it won't be the end of the world if we give a cheap 1-year deal to him. We have cap space to give on D (you really can't carry 8 D on the cap... and it would be a huge disservice to Bartulis to have him as an 8 just rotting in the press box), but it won't be enough to address the real problem (goal) this season, so for this year the lost cap space won't be a big deal.

We're absolutely stacked with depth everywhere else... so making a "big" trade that carries a cap gain with it shouldn't be something this team is going to be considering down the line unless someone is seriously hurt, at which point LTIR would be the solution to the cap problems anyway.

Right now we have 877K in cap space, and that's with both Bartulis (600K and non-waiver exempts as of now) and Walker (1.3M) on the roster. We also have extra forwards who would be gone if Guerin were signed.
Thank you for a voice of reason. Guerin was brought in to fill a top 9 spot on the roster BECAUSE Laviolette most likely feels that Carcillo cannot keep a top 9 spot for a full season. Guerin is a security that will cost little but give the Flyers a fwd who can give them @35pts and give 13-15mins of TOI. He can play several roles on this team but most likely I could see him as a mentor to JvR and Giroux. This is a perseason game folks, he has over 1,000 NHL career games. Losing Gagne and replacing him with Zherdev is a risky move, bringing in another scorer who can contribute like Guerin is an insurance policy.

As far as where he fits it is pretty straight forward I think:
Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Leino-Briere-Leino
JvR-Giroux-Guerin
Carcillo-Shelley-Powe-Betts-Laperriere



Most likely it will be Bartulis or Walker who is waived, Walker would be the smarter move of the two.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:37 AM
  #22
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,039
vCash: 500
In the last Guerin topic that was about him getting a tryout contract and taking Zherdev's number, I kept repeating that I hated him getting a tryout because nothing good could come of it.

Still stand by that and it just looks like Bill Guerin is proving what I said right.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:37 AM
  #23
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Thank you for a voice of reason. Guerin was brought in to fill a top 9 spot on the roster BECAUSE Laviolette most likely feels that Carcillo cannot keep a top 9 spot for a full season. Guerin is a security that will cost little but give the Flyers a fwd who can give them @35pts and give 13-15mins of TOI. He can play several roles on this team but most likely I could see him as a mentor to JvR and Giroux. This is a perseason game folks, he has over 1,000 NHL career games. Losing Gagne and replacing him with Zherdev is a risky move, bringing in another scorer who can contribute like Guerin is an insurance policy.

As far as where he fits it is pretty straight forward I think:
Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Leino-Briere-Leino
JvR-Giroux-Guerin
Carcillo-Shelley-Powe-Betts-Laperriere



Most likely it will be Bartulis or Walker who is waived, Walker would be the smarter move of the two.
You're confusing the concept of Bill Guerin with the reality.

I think most people agree that Bill Guerin SHOULD be the perfect complement to JVR and Giroux. Poise, veteran savvy, leadership, size, a scoring touch, and (historically speaking) decent defensive responsibility. He should be a perfect #9 scorer that this team is otherwise lacking.

But he looks way too slow out there. I don't think he's still the Bill Guerin that we want him to be...and if he's not, then we have to accept that if the reality of Bill Guerin won't live up to the concept, then we gotta let him go.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:39 AM
  #24
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Homer is a moron, though. He'll sign Guerin and pay for it with Powe being on LTIR and then when Powe gets back there will be a cluster**** with the salary cap.
You waive Walker, done and done.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:39 AM
  #25
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If we wanted to try someone out we should of tried someone else out. That is how I feel.

The few times we all almost agree on a topic.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.