HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: Gudbranson rejects contract, back to juniors

Old
10-05-2010, 08:28 PM
panthersfan751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
There is NO reason why he should be in the NHL. Sure, he looked good, but everyone who saw him said he could benefit by another year in Juniors. Plus, this team isn't going anywhere. He'd be wasting his talent on this team while burning a year of his contract.

I just don't get the "massive fail" everyone is talking about in regards to this.

The grabner thing is another story, but this is fine in my book.
No one's upset that he's going to juniors.

The problem is management just flat out lied to him. They told him he'd have to earn a spot to make the team. Well he did earn a spot and he should have his 9 game tryout. Gudbranson will play a huge role in whether this team turns around, and we just lied to the kid. I wouldn't blame him if he's upset now.

Gudbranson earned his 9 game tryout. Had he not done well, I'd have had no problem sending him back. But to send him back like this is very poor judgment.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post

The problem is management just flat out lied to him. They told him he'd have to earn a spot to make the team. Well he did earn a spot and he should have his 9 game tryout. Gudbranson will play a huge role in whether this team turns around, and we just lied to the kid. I wouldn't blame him if he's upset now.

Gudbranson earned his 9 game tryout. Had he not done well, I'd have had no problem sending him back. But to send him back like this is very poor judgment.
He earned the spot, but there's a business side to hockey. Lied to him? Think that's going a bit far.

10-05-2010, 08:45 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He earned the spot, but there's a business side to hockey. Lied to him? Think that's going a bit far.
The whole emphasis has been placed on accountability and the best players playing. To not even give him the chance to play the tryout and keep a full-time role is a low move. If we really can't afford him, then management is completely ignorant as to how to allocate money because they wasted it on other players when they should have saved it.

Either way, management doesn't look too good the way this played out.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:

I don't know man, the first think i heard from the day he was drafted was he was probably not NHL ready.

Even if we had a spot to give him, and he 100% definitely earned a spot... Would you want him to be able to hold the organization hostage by demanding $3million in bonuses?

No. The kid didn't warrant bonuses like that, especially in a year when we're trying to stay at the floor of the cap and are going to tank it.

A bunch of people are complaining about giving a contract to Olesz based on potential. Well, Guds hasn't proved much of anything yet. He seems like he could be a great NHL player, but that doesn't mean we should give him the world. Make him earn it, right?

So, he'll do his stint in the OHL, and come back to camp next year and earn his spot for real.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:50 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:

i really dont think he earned anything. just because he made a decent showing doesnt mean he earned a spot. if he had clearly beat out all the other dmen he would be on the team. the truth is he didnt distinguish himself enough to force the team to keep him. dont confuse the fact that kuli got a 9 game tryout last year into thinking that all future high round picks will get a 9 game stint with the team. last year we had way less talent and that is the only reason kuli was rushed. thank goodness it didnt ruin him. the smart thing to do is to bring prospects along slowly. guds willbe better off for this. DT has done exactly what he said and has created competition and the team will be better off for it. the very fact that we can afford to send guds down for a year speaks to how much DT has already done for this team.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:53 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:

A bunch of people are complaining about giving a contract to Olesz based on potential. Well, Guds hasn't proved much of anything yet. He seems like he could be a great NHL player, but that doesn't mean we should give him the world. Make him earn it, right?

So, he'll do his stint in the OHL, and come back to camp next year and earn his spot for real.
rusti wasnt given his spot based on potential. his spot is based on salary. dt is stuck with his K and has to live with it for the year. by year end rusti will have earned it or been bought out. both are a good result imo. comparing rusti to the guds situation is apples to oranges and outside of dt's control

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
The whole emphasis has been placed on accountability and the best players playing. To not even give him the chance to play the tryout and keep a full-time role is a low move. If we really can't afford him, then management is completely ignorant as to how to allocate money because they wasted it on other players when they should have saved it.

Either way, management doesn't look too good the way this played out.
He made the team, but he and the team couldn't come up to a contract agreement. And again, you can't throttle the current regime for past managers' mistakes. I can't stand that he didn't make the team, but I realize that there's a business side of things. Next season, the team has close to 30 mil to work with, this just guarantees that Guds goes back to Kingston.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Erick

I have no problem with this decision. I actually think it's best for both the organization and Gudbranson.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
harv3317

this organization is the worst. if you offer the kid a contract get him signed, or else don't offer him a contract!!!!!!! this franchise has gone from the best in professional sports during it's first 2 years to the WORST in professional sports for over the last decade and i have no confidence considering some recent moves that we won't continue to be the worst franchise in professional sports for another decade!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
Great way to start off with Gudbranson...

This could very well create some animosity between him and the team, and eventually lead down a Bouwmeester-esque road.

This is getting pretty disheartening after all the optimism this summer.
First thing that came to my mind too

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I don't know man, the first think i heard from the day he was drafted was he was probably not NHL ready.

Even if we had a spot to give him, and he 100% definitely earned a spot... Would you want him to be able to hold the organization hostage by demanding $3million in bonuses?

No. The kid didn't warrant bonuses like that, especially in a year when we're trying to stay at the floor of the cap and are going to tank it.

Yeah. What could have happened is they allocated let's say 2.5M-2.75M for Gud because they thought that's realistically all he would prove in camp, but maybe he wanted over 3M. And even if they wanted to give in and bend a little for him even if they thought he didn't really deserve that, they couldn't because the funds weren't there. They still probably should have planned better, but really, no one knows the numbers that were tossed around yet so we're all just speculating at this point as to how this went down exactly. Panthers offer contract, Gud refuses, amount he wanted wasn't in Panthers' budget.....very vague.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Go Wings

Talk about a bad day for Tallon. He loses Grabner for nothing and refuses to pay Gudbranson's bonuses on an entry level contract.

Tallon is tough to figure out. One day he looks like he's as smart as Ken Holland another day he's as dumb as Mike Milbury. I still think he'll rebuild the panthers in the end by it could get a little bumpy along the way.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:59 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
What a joke of a franchise...

"We came to play"

"Awesome party atmosphere like never before!!!!!!!"

"Totally revamped partttyyy atmosphere, yihaa!!"

Can't even sign people who WANTS to play with this horrible team...

I seriously don't know how much longer this team will keep my interest...

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
What a joke of a franchise...

"We came to play"

"Awesome party atmosphere like never before!!!!!!!"

"Totally revamped partttyyy atmosphere, yihaa!!"

Can't even sign people who WANTS to play with this horrible team...

I seriously don't know how much longer this team will keep my interest...
They signed Markstrom just this off-season, the business side couldn't get it done, it's not the end of the world.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:17 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
They signed Markstrom just this off-season, the business side couldn't get it done, it's not the end of the world.
Right, they signed Peters instead.

I know it's not the end of the world, still very dissapointing...

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:28 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Disappointing is the key word for this season. Get used to it.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:32 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

While keeping Gudbranson in juniors may be the best thing for him & the organization, the fact that it's being done because of $$$ & not issues related to player development is ominous.

Perhaps Tallon is trying to send a message through the Grabner waiver and the Gudbranson demotion. Maybe it's what this organization needs. Then again, maybe it's like the Hagman & Huselius dumps - just plain Panthers stupidity. Bad asset management in the name of "sending a message" didn't work out so well in those cases.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:19 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
While keeping Gudbranson in juniors may be the best thing for him & the organization, the fact that it's being done because of $$$ & not issues related to player development is ominous.

Perhaps Tallon is trying to send a message through the Grabner waiver and the Gudbranson demotion. Maybe it's what this organization needs. Then again, maybe it's like the Hagman & Huselius dumps - just plain Panthers stupidity. Bad asset management in the name of "sending a message" didn't work out so well in those cases.
i think it's a lot different than hagman and huselius; those guys had already shown they belong. grabner may never make it and in fact what tallon is saying is basically "we do not believe this kid is worth anything" (i.e., will never be an NHLer). time will tell but he may be right.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:30 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i think it's a lot different than hagman and huselius; those guys had already shown they belong. grabner may never make it and in fact what tallon is saying is basically "we do not believe this kid is worth anything" (i.e., will never be an NHLer). time will tell but he may be right.
I know the situations are not completely analogous, but the disturbing precedent is there.

It would be nice if these decisions never find their way onto the tome-like list of Panther gaffes.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:35 AM
panthertod

The sky is falling!!! the sky is falling!!!

I give up, management stinks, I'm leaving.... guess what, you'll be posting here next week and the week after.

Many people have earned jobs and then were not offered proper compinsation, myself included... he's going to gain experience and perfect his craft and next year that money will be there for him.

This could be the best for him, if we're a losing team this year, he might start to think it's OK to lose (he get's paid either way) so why keep him here. Next season we'll be further along on the re-build, we'll have a ton of FA money, he can come up then and be part of a better team... a better NHL experience.

panthertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:35 AM
SeasonTicket

Erik Johnson $3,700,000
Jordan Staal $2,200,000
Jonathan Toews $2,800,000

Patrick Kane $3,725,000
James van Riemsdyk $1,654,167
Kyle Turris $2,695,433

Steven Stamkos $3,725,000
Drew Doughty $3,475,000
Zach Bogosian $3,375,000

John Tavares $3,750,000
Victor Hedman $3,500,000
Matt Duchene $3,200,000

Taylor Hall $3,750,000
Tyler Seguin $3,550,000
Erik Gudbranson ?

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Holy Jokinen

I still don't understand the upset.

I thought everyone knew and was on board with getting a top 3 pick this year.

If we were contending for the cup and lost a strong piece that was essential to that run, then i would understand the outrage. But we're not. The outcome of this season won't change because Guds will go to the OHL and Grabs isn't gonna be here.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:57 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
I still dont understand the upset.

If we were contending for the cup and lost a strong piece that was essential to that run, then i would understand the outrage. But we're not. The outcome of this season won't change because Guds will go to the OHL and Grabs isn't gonna be here.
The upset is not the end result but the way it was handled.
You tell the player if he plays well in camp he has a spot.
He gives it all includinging barely escaping a fractured orbital bone for the team, something rarely seen the last 10 years.
The head coach comes out and states unequivocally he earned a spot and at least a 9 game chance.
Then we dont sign him. Its disgraceful.

I dont understand the not upset.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:08 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
I still don't understand the upset.

I'm absolutely not on board with getting a top 3 pick. If the team starts out 2-14, of course, bring out the tanks. But we're all 0-0 right now. I wouldn't have season tickets if I wanted this team to fail. I worry that if we win game one, people will say "darn, can't even fail right." I know the prospects of making the playoffs are poor (I even picked us to finish 14th in the East), and I understand that another top pick will help the franchise, but in a salary cap era where dynasties are practically impossible to build up for more than a year or two, if you offer me the 8th seed right now, I take it in a heart beat. I was 11 the last time we made it and it's enough.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

This is ridiculous. I dont care if he was returned to junior, but the fact we cant afford a rookie deal is pathetic. Didnt we just save money on grabners contract or was that financially motivated too? Why are we paying nylander 100k to be in the minors if money is so tight? Why did we waste money on borderline nhlers like paetsch?

Meet the new owners, same as the old owners

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote