HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: Gudbranson rejects contract, back to juniors

Old
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
But isnt it meant that he can play big minutes and develop even more in the nhl?
No. He will log big minutes and develop further in the OHL!

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
Erik Johnson $3,700,000
Jordan Staal $2,200,000
Jonathan Toews $2,800,000

Patrick Kane $3,725,000
James van Riemsdyk $1,654,167
Kyle Turris $2,695,433

Steven Stamkos $3,725,000
Drew Doughty $3,475,000
Zach Bogosian $3,375,000

John Tavares $3,750,000
Victor Hedman $3,500,000
Matt Duchene $3,200,000

Taylor Hall $3,750,000
Tyler Seguin $3,550,000
Erik Gudbranson ?
Zach Bogosian-$2,275,000

I don't see what the point of this post is anyway. Not all those players signed right away.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertod View Post
The coach is not the GM, so you can't use what DeBour says.

Also, we don't know how far things were off... Gud's agent could have been asking for the world... Hall and seguin got HUGE bonuses added into their deals... the drop off from 2 to 3 was big as far as ability, then it should also be in salary.

I have an idea, lets find out the whole story before we condemn the team once again.
Agreed, we simply don't know what the Panthers offered, and what Gud wanted. If he wanted something in the neighborhood of what Hall and Seguin got, then I'm glad they didn't give it to him. He doesn't deserve money like that right now, at least let him earn it first before you give it to him. We don't have any details, so we cannot be judging anybody yet.

Old
10-06-2010, 06:38 PM
SouthFLFan79

not surprised we are the la clippers of the nhl

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:39 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Anyone else slightly perturbed that there are no direct quotes from Gud?

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i don't think so. we HAVE the right free agents now. dvo, stiller, reino? they've all come in and done what's been asked. you aren't going to get any better than that, we know that by now. what's missing is a cohesive identity and/or some additional scoring to get back into the mix. i don't think that's going to come by way of FA this offseason. i know it's not, actually. either of those top picks won't change our fortunes in their first year either. so i think you need to be a little more realistic.
I kinda agree about the FA thing, I don't really see us splurging next offseason on a big FA. What's more realistic is they sign someone for a few mil, maybe if Higgins has a big bounce back year they keep him around for another couple years.

But to say that either of the top picks won't change our fortunes in their first year, I disagree. Larsson is one of the best D prospects in recent memory, actually the best for several years. He could come in and be a solid top 4 d-man right away, and Couturier could come in and have a Tavares-like rookie year in terms of scoring. I'm not saying they will and take it to the bank, I'm just saying it's very reasonable to assume that they could. Either of them doing that would be a big boost to our team. Add in some further maturation of our young kids plus Gud coming in next year more ready, and that could be a big shot in our arm.

Old
10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Agreed, we simply don't know what the Panthers offered, and what Gud wanted. If he wanted something in the neighborhood of what Hall and Seguin got, then I'm glad they didn't give it to him. He doesn't deserve money like that right now, at least let him earn it first before you give it to him. We don't have any details, so we cannot be judging anybody yet.
Correct. Young kids often think they're worth more than they are. Hope the management AND Guds are keeping level heads though, and are able to separate the office stuff from the on ice stuff. We don't need another Bouwblister.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:47 PM
zeroG

Quote:
I kinda agree about the FA thing, I don't really see us splurging next offseason on a big FA. What's more realistic is they sign someone for a few mil, maybe if Higgins has a big bounce back year they keep him around for another couple years.

But to say that either of the top picks won't change our fortunes in their first year, I disagree. Larsson is one of the best D prospects in recent memory, actually the best for several years. He could come in and be a solid top 4 d-man right away, and Couturier could come in and have a Tavares-like rookie year in terms of scoring. I'm not saying they will and take it to the bank, I'm just saying it's very reasonable to assume that they could. Either of them doing that would be a big boost to our team. Add in some further maturation of our young kids plus Gud coming in next year more ready, and that could be a big shot in our arm.
they might have a very good first season, sure. but larsson as a top 4 Dman isn't going to bridge the scoring gap. and even if couturier comes in and has a tavares-like season, there's no guarantee that everything else around him will gel perfectly (like, say, happened in colorado this past year). we can hope tho.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
they might have a very good first season, sure. but larsson as a top 4 Dman isn't going to bridge the scoring gap. and even if couturier comes in and has a tavares-like season, there's no guarantee that everything else around him will gel perfectly (like, say, happened in colorado this past year). we can hope tho.
Larsson adding another top 4 d-man to our team would decrease the need for scoring though. And he's very good offensively also. He owns the scoring record for U-18 players in the SEL. Not just d-men, forwards included. So he would add offense.

I'm not saying that everything around them would gel perfectly, but like you said we can hope. It's a better hope than hoping we can make the playoffs without an elite draft pick like that. There's not going to be any magic bullet for us, but this is the closest thing to that.

Old
10-07-2010, 07:21 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
well, the point is, EVEN IF they contribute (like, say stamkos did with 51 goals last year), it still guarantees nothing, not even a sniff of the playoffs.
You cant even compare the Lightnings prospects to ours. They have little in goaltending and on defense. If Couturier were to put up a 50 goal season in his second year here, I would think we would have a realistic shot at the playoffs.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
jol

Quote:
Anyways, bonus money has to be earned, "only" $1 million is guaranteed (regular salary + sign-on bonus). How much money previous years' first three draft choices made?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Anyways, bonus money has to be earned, "only" $1 million is guaranteed (regular salary + sign-on bonus). How much money previous years' first three draft choices made?

JOL
I know the bonuses have to be earned, but still, there's a precedent for these types of things. If that wasn't the case, then every prospect drafted would get the same money as the #1 pick, but they don't.

2009-Tavares-3.75M
Hedman-3.5
Duchene-3.4

2008-Stamkos-3.725
Doughty-3.475
Bogosian-2.725

2007-Kane-3.75
Van Riemsdyk- 1.654
Turris-2.695

Old
10-07-2010, 10:34 PM
catEye
Oh No! We suck again

Welcome to Pantherland Guds! Land of the cheap and Disappointment.

catEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:58 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by catEye View Post
Welcome to Pantherland Guds! Land of the cheap and Disappointment.
So he couldn't play the nine games, thats the only thing that sucks. He wasn't going to play the whole season here anyway. Next summer a deal gets done for sure and he makes the lineup after getting to play this year with his brother and in the WJs. No harm no foul.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:57 AM
jol

Quote:
I know the bonuses have to be earned, but still, there's a precedent for these types of things. If that wasn't the case, then every prospect drafted would get the same money as the #1 pick, but they don't.

2009-Tavares-3.75M
Hedman-3.5
Duchene-3.4

2008-Stamkos-3.725
Doughty-3.475
Bogosian-2.725

2007-Kane-3.75
Van Riemsdyk- 1.654
Turris-2.695
It looks like all of them got all their bonuses, i tried to search for actual paid salaries and bonuses but nothing sofar, i'll keep looking.
But if they really got all of bonuses, then it might be too easy to reach.

JOL

Old
10-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
His first game back with Kingston was quite the disaster. Kingston blew a 4-2 third period lead, eventually losing 5-4 to Brampton.

Gudbranson had a particularly weak game. It was almost as though his head was still in Florida. He got burned on a couple of occasions, and was on the ice for two goals against (minus 1 for the evening). He was questionable defensively and invisible offensively. Not the return I was hoping to see.

Though, a puzzling thing was the coaching staff insisted on playing Gudbranson on the left side for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure him playing LD contributed to him looking sloppy out there.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:53 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

GR relaying what Gudbranson had to say regarding contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Gudbranson
“It's frustrating that it came down to a business deal. I was pretty sure [a contract] was going to happen. I had a meeting with Pete DeBoer and the coaches. They were happy I was getting better and better every day. I was there. That's what I was told.''

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Georgia Panther

Question-If there is a lockout next season, a possibility, what incentive would Guds have to sign next year? Answer none because he wouldn't be paid that season in the event of a lockout. So he goes another season unsigned, the season afterwards arrives and now the Panthers must sign him or he goes back into the entry draft. In that case, Guds would have the Cats over a barrel. The best chance and perhaps the only chance to sign Guds to a reasonable contract, what the third pick, Duchene got from Colorado last season, $3,200,000 including bonuses, has slipped away.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
It looks like all of them got all their bonuses, i tried to search for actual paid salaries and bonuses but nothing sofar, i'll keep looking.
But if they really got all of bonuses, then it might be too easy to reach.

JOL
Idk if they all earned their bonuses, that's just their cap numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
His first game back with Kingston was quite the disaster. Kingston blew a 4-2 third period lead, eventually losing 5-4 to Brampton.

Gudbranson had a particularly weak game. It was almost as though his head was still in Florida. He got burned on a couple of occasions, and was on the ice for two goals against (minus 1 for the evening). He was questionable defensively and invisible offensively. Not the return I was hoping to see.

Though, a puzzling thing was the coaching staff insisted on playing Gudbranson on the left side for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure him playing LD contributed to him looking sloppy out there.
Idk, I don't think it was as bad as you say, although he was bad for the first half. The GWG was on him, but also on Odam IMO for loose coverage on the guy behind the net. Gud looked like he was shocked that the puck came out perfectly to his man, evidently, by him raising his arms. I agree that for Gud, it was a pretty weak game, but overall I didn't think it was horrible. His head was definitely somewhere else for awhile there. He was actually on the ice for 3 goals against, however I thought he really didn't deserve blame at all for 2 of them, not much he could have done.

About the LD thing, I guess they had no choice, right? Hasn't he played a little on the left side before? Doherty and Seymour are both R's, and so are Gud and Odam. Gud being the more skilled guy, I guess they figure he can handle the left side better. Then Baby Gud is also a righty and a green rookie and the other dude #8 is a lefty so they play together.

Gud could probably get a little more offensive rythym going if Gilmour ever grew some brains and put him on the PP more than once every two months. Do you think it's going to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Question-If there is a lockout next season, a possibility, what incentive would Guds have to sign next year? Answer none because he wouldn't be paid that season in the event of a lockout. So he goes another season unsigned, the season afterwards arrives and now the Panthers must sign him or he goes back into the entry draft. In that case, Guds would have the Cats over a barrel. The best chance and perhaps the only chance to sign Guds to a reasonable contract, what the third pick, Duchene got from Colorado last season, $3,200,000 including bonuses, has slipped away.
The talks seem pretty positive, so that's good. CBA talks, I mean. I think the lockout would be the following season anyway though.

Last edited by Dread Clawz: 10-08-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old
10-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Idk, I don't think it was as bad as you say, although he was bad for the first half. The GWG was on him, but also on Odam IMO for loose coverage on the guy behind the net. Gud looked like he was shocked that the puck came out perfectly to his man, evidently, by him raising his arms. I agree that for Gud, it was a pretty weak game, but overall I didn't think it was horrible. His head was definitely somewhere else for awhile there. He was actually on the ice for 3 goals against, however I thought he really didn't deserve blame at all for 2 of them, not much he could have done.

About the LD thing, I guess they had no choice, right? Hasn't he played a little on the left side before? Doherty and Seymour are both R's, and so are Gud and Odam. Gud being the more skilled guy, I guess they figure he can handle the left side better. Then Baby Gud is also a righty and a green rookie and the other dude #8 is a lefty so they play together.

Gud could probably get a little more offensive rythym going if Gilmour ever grew some brains and put him on the PP more than once every two months. Do you think it's going to happen
I guess I just have high expectations of him. At one point last season, he was dominant in every sense of the word. That's the Gudbranson I tend to expect, and last night he wasn't close to that. I just tend to hold him (and other high picks) to a higher standard.

That's one of the issues with Kingston this season. Of their 8 defensemen, 7 of them are righthanded shots. E. Gudbranson, A. Gudbranon, Doherty, Odam, Harrison, Seymour and Mort are all righties, with their Euro pick Cajcovsky the only lefty. So you're right, they're going to have to play a couple of them on their wrong side out of necessity. Seymour played his wrong side all year last year, and I think someone like Odam, whose game is simple and doesn't require a lot of moving around the ice, could play it. I think having Gudbranson on the wrong side was a huge mistake on Gilmour's part.

Tonight he was back to his usual RD side for the majority of the night. Even on the PP, Doherty manned the left point while Gudbranson manned the right. And true to form, Gudbranson powered home a wicked one-timer on the PP. He just looks his usual strong self on the RD side, so hopefully he sticks there.

And speaking of which, Gilmour finally played him on the point all game tonight, and lo and behold look how the Fronts did, going 4 for 6 on the PP.

Old
10-09-2010, 12:35 AM
jol

McCabe about Gudbranson in Miami Herald:

"And Florida captain Bryan McCabe said the youngster's blossoming potential would be missed this season.

`It's tough because he showed he could play here, that's for sure,' McCabe said. '. . . He certainly didn't look out of place.'

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/0...-is-a-hit.html

JOL

Old
10-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I guess I just have high expectations of him. At one point last season, he was dominant in every sense of the word. That's the Gudbranson I tend to expect, and last night he wasn't close to that. I just tend to hold him (and other high picks) to a higher standard.

That's one of the issues with Kingston this season. Of their 8 defensemen, 7 of them are righthanded shots. E. Gudbranson, A. Gudbranon, Doherty, Odam, Harrison, Seymour and Mort are all righties, with their Euro pick Cajcovsky the only lefty. So you're right, they're going to have to play a couple of them on their wrong side out of necessity. Seymour played his wrong side all year last year, and I think someone like Odam, whose game is simple and doesn't require a lot of moving around the ice, could play it. I think having Gudbranson on the wrong side was a huge mistake on Gilmour's part.

Tonight he was back to his usual RD side for the majority of the night. Even on the PP, Doherty manned the left point while Gudbranson manned the right. And true to form, Gudbranson powered home a wicked one-timer on the PP. He just looks his usual strong self on the RD side, so hopefully he sticks there.

And speaking of which, Gilmour finally played him on the point all game tonight, and lo and behold look how the Fronts did, going 4 for 6 on the PP.
So who did Gud play with at even strength?

Old
10-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
So who did Gud play with at even strength?
Early part of the game he played with Seymour, with Seymour at LD. He also got shifts with his brother, with younger Gudbranson playing on LD the majority of their shifts, but Erik taking shifts at LD. At the end and in OT, he was with Odam, with Gudbranson back over at LD.

On the PK, he tended to be played on LD with Doherty or Odam being the RD on the ice with him.

I can understand why they'd try him, since as you said, being the most talented it makes sense that he'd have an easier time adjusting. But to be honest, he's looked his best when he's playing his natural side. He just looks ... off when he's on LD.

I suppose in the long run, him getting some games in on LD could help him if the Panthers ever need him to do that. But right now, I just think he's better of being played at his natural spot and seeing him concentrate on his game at that spot, rather than experimenting just because the organization (Kingston) didn't have the foresight to realize 7 of their 8 defenseman shoot right and do something about balancing that with some lefties.

Edit: Just watched the replay of the game. I stand a bit corrected. For the first two periods, Gudbranson was back at his usual RD spot,. But once Oshawa started its comeback, and Gilmour shortened the bench down to basically just 4 defensemen, Gudbranson was moved to LD for the majority of the third period and OT, with Odam as his usual partner.

Last edited by Sidney the Kidney: 10-09-2010 at 01:18 AM.