HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Smid has Neck Concerns Once Again

Old
10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
freewheeling

vCash: 500
Smid could be out for a very long time.He had neck surgery only back in March.To begin with neck surgeries are very dangerous the chance of full recovery is about ten percent.Unfortunately the Oiler physicians are very archaic.There are alternatives to surgery.Laddy is going to has the potential to be a great defenceman.Heres hoping for a full recovery.

freewheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Smid could be out for a very long time.He had neck surgery only back in March.To begin with neck surgeries are very dangerous the chance of full recovery is about ten percent.Unfortunately the Oiler physicians are very archaic.There are alternatives to surgery.Laddy is going to has the potential to be a great defenceman.Heres hoping for a full recovery.
Have the Oilers put him on injury reserve?

Before we start insulting the physicians should we not wait to see if he is even out of the lineup?

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbypants View Post
The elbow went uncalled, and no one on the team stood up for him either. What a joke.

Hope Smidley is alright.
This is the same thing I saw in the preseason too. This team doesn't seem to be too much different in the team toughness department compared to last season. Perhaps if somebody like Vandermeer was playing that game and on the ice, it may have been different; however, it shouldn't be just one or two guy on the team who is willing to do this. It should be the whole team watching out for each other. The one big difference between good teams and bad teams.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
freewheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Have the Oilers put him on injury reserve?

Before we start insulting the physicians should we not wait to see if he is even out of the lineup?
Not insulting the physicians at all.However their track record over the last few years does'nt look very good

Old
10-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Jmask83

Quote:
Not insulting the physicians at all.However their track record over the last few years does'nt look very good
Didn't they hire all new guys for this year? I was under the impression everyone from last year was fired.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
This is the same thing I saw in the preseason too. This team doesn't seem to be too much different in the team toughness department compared to last season. Perhaps if somebody like Vandermeer was playing that game and on the ice, it may have been different; however, it shouldn't be just one or two guy on the team who is willing to do this. It should be the whole team watching out for each other. The one big difference between good teams and bad teams.
Was MacIntyre playing that game? I thought he was but I could be mistaken.

Old
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Little Fury

Clearly this team needs a nuclear deterrent.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
They haven't even said he'll be out for any time. Most human beings would have a sore neck after that hit.

The success rate you've stated is only correct for a limited amount of neck surgeries. The surgery he had to repair the herniated disc in his neck actually has a 85-90% success rate.

Last edited by dnicks17: 10-05-2010 at 12:14 PM.
dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Was MacIntyre playing that game? I thought he was but I could be mistaken.
He was playing but he can't play enough (get enough ice time) to make the type of impact this team needs. Sometimes you need a team-mate who is on the ice at that moment to show some team toughness.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
He was playing but he can't play enough (get enough ice time) to make the type of impact this team needs. Sometimes you need a team-mate who is on the ice at that moment to show some team toughness.
We agree on that.

That is why having a "nuclear detterent" that plays 3 to 5 minutes a night is utterly useless.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Ghostbuster

I don't know about the timing of this, but in the Journal today it mentioned Smid was fine.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...732/story.html

Quote:
- -Renney said defenceman Ladislav Smid was fine after being walloped by Rene Bourque in Calgary on Sunday. He hurt his nose and neck.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:55 PM
SDig14

The newest video on the Oilers site should be the practice from today, looked like it anyways...Ladi looked fine out there, didn't seem like anything was bothering him

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:18 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
The newest video on the Oilers site should be the practice from today, looked like it anyways...Ladi looked fine out there, didn't seem like anything was bothering him
hold on a minute
a guy with 4 posts on a hockey forum said he's gonna be out forever

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:19 AM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Smid also said it was maybe good mentally for him that he got hit that hard and he is still good regarding his neck.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:27 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
hold on a minute
lol pretty much...but I try to not judge based on # of posts...there was a time when we both had only 4 posts lol

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:53 AM
freewheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
hold on a minute
I may only have 4 posts, but I have followed the oilers since 1972. Have you ever suffered with neck problems?Did you graduate from Harvard medical school?

Old
10-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Njoy Oilers

I remeber getting cold cocked similarily back in the day and I was more embarrassed than anything. Another game lesson for a very good d-man in the making. Keep your head up Laddy.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
I may only have 4 posts, but I have followed the oilers since 1972. Have you ever suffered with neck problems?Did you graduate from Harvard medical school?
He doesn't have "neck problems". He had a herniated disc removed. Obviously he's free of the symptoms, or he would have had multiple surgeries. They cut you open, remove the fragment, close you back up and you're done.

There's a 10% chance for people who have had a discectomy to have it reoccur. Smid wouldn't be playing right now if it reoccurred.

Obviously when Smid said it was good mentally, it's because he took that kind of hit, and it didn't reoccur.

You don't need a Harvard education to understand a very simple medical procedure.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote