Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins78 View Post
Didn't end up attending the game but Sweden's U-20 team beat Harvard 2-1 ast night. Fallstrom had the first assist on Harvard's only goal. Ludvig Rensfeldt, a 2nd rounder I was hoping the B's would be in on, had the winning goal for Sweden. Gabriel Landeskog, expected first rounder from the Kitchener Rangers was in the line-up as well as Marcus Sorensen, a 4th rounder by the Senators. Carl Klingberg's brother John picked up an asisst for Sweden.
UMass played the SWE U-20 team Saturday and my son was practicing about 100 yds away. We were going to check it out before his practice, but had just watched UMass get humbled by Army the night before, so we skipped.

Was surprised to hear that UMass beat them 5-1. Freshman Mike Pereira (one of the leading scorers) was hurt in the game, but not seriously. Sorry if this is the "wrong" thread.

Old
11-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
UMass played the SWE U-20 team Saturday and my son was practicing about 100 yds away. We were going to check it out before his practice, but had just watched UMass get humbled by Army the night before, so we skipped.

Was surprised to hear that UMass beat them 5-1. Freshman Mike Pereira (one of the leading scorers) was hurt in the game, but not seriously. Sorry if this is the "wrong" thread.
To this day, I'm still shaking my head that Pereira didn't get drafted in June.

He dominated the prep playoffs and has speed to burn. A bit on the small side, but not tiny, and played a dynamic game for that level.

Keep an eye on him, because I think he'll develop into a player at the next level-- intangibles may be a bit questionable (based on some rumblings I heard here and there) but still amazing to me that nobody took a late-round flyer on him. He had six points in two games-- the semi- and final contests. Production that big at crunch time is saying something in my book, and he completely outplayed Kevin Hayes in the Avon-Nobles semi (and I like Hayes a lot- very nice skills and kid to boot).

Fwiw

Old
11-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Not sure if anyone is aware or posted the news yet, but Ryan Spooner has left the Peterborough Petes, requested a trade and headed home to the Ottawa area. As of right now nobody knows the details as of why. Word is Spooner and his agent had a meeting with Petes GM Dave Reid a couple weeks back and there was rumor that the London Knights had offered 3 players for Spooner. Since then the speculation and rumblings have been quiet, until Spooner was benched in the final 10 minutes of Saturday nights game vs. the Niagara Ice Dogs. After that, Spooner requested a trade and has since left the team until a trade is made.

It could very well be that he is an established player in the OHL, drafted, has spent 2 seasons with a losing Petes organization and this was now the 3rd consecutive year of the teams poor play with no real indication that things are getting better.

I'll post any details and updates if they haven't already been posted here.

Old
11-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Anton View Post
Not sure if anyone is aware or posted the news yet, but Ryan Spooner has left the Peterborough Petes, requested a trade and headed home to the Ottawa area. As of right now nobody knows the details as of why. Word is Spooner and his agent had a meeting with Petes GM Dave Reid a couple weeks back and there was rumor that the London Knights had offered 3 players for Spooner. Since then the speculation and rumblings have been quiet, until Spooner was benched in the final 10 minutes of Saturday nights game vs. the Niagara Ice Dogs. After that, Spooner requested a trade and has since left the team until a trade is made.

It could very well be that he is an established player in the OHL, drafted, has spent 2 seasons with a losing Petes organization and this was now the 3rd consecutive year of the teams poor play with no real indication that things are getting better.

Thanks for passing along the info...probably was psyched about the possibility of building chemistry with Knight, either way its always a little disconcerting to read these types of stories.

Old
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Yep. Just confirmed this.

I'm told it was on "very good terms" for both sides and am working on trying to get more clarity.

Old
11-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:

Wish Ryan Button would do the same

Old
11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
From Matt Kalman's twitter

http://twitter.com/TheBruinsBlog
#Bruins prospect Ben Sexton, injured after scoring a goal, might be out the rest of the year with a broken arm

He had 5 points in 6 games

Old
11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
http://twitter.com/TheBruinsBlog
#Bruins prospect Ben Sexton, injured after scoring a goal, might be out the rest of the year with a broken arm

He had 5 points in 6 games
No way, I just checked his stats today and was pleasantly surprised to see him off to a good start.

Old
11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
To this day, I'm still shaking my head that Pereira didn't get drafted in June.

He dominated the prep playoffs and has speed to burn. A bit on the small side, but not tiny, and played a dynamic game for that level.

Keep an eye on him, because I think he'll develop into a player at the next level-- intangibles may be a bit questionable (based on some rumblings I heard here and there) but still amazing to me that nobody took a late-round flyer on him. He had six points in two games-- the semi- and final contests. Production that big at crunch time is saying something in my book, and he completely outplayed Kevin Hayes in the Avon-Nobles semi (and I like Hayes a lot- very nice skills and kid to boot).

Fwiw
Kirk, Pereira was one of the few guys that showed up to play Friday night vs Army and he looked pretty good, although as you said, he's a bit small. Darren Rowe, an undersized d-man from CA, has looked pretty good in the two games I saw (vs BU on TV and this one). Very quick and moves the puck well. You probably know more about the Army roster than I do (not hard). I attended the game with a retired, ex-Army West Pointer who now teaches at UMass...he was torn on who to root for, but went with Army He kept telling me that Army did not have a good team this year, but I don't think he really knew.

The kid that stood out the most on their roster was one of the captains, #6, Cody Omilusik. Another undersized guy that was not afraid to stir it up, skated well, and seemed to be all over the ice. Unfortunately, this was one of the worst officiated games I have seen in some time (not that it would have changed the outcome). Calls were bad on both sides, but UMass got the worst of it.

They were already down 2-0, when ref Tim Low (who was gawd-awful) gave out the worst 5 minute major for "hitting from behind" I have ever seen (he also got the game) to Freshman d-man Conor Allen. It was for a mutual side-to side bump along the boards that resulted in minor contact with the Army player going down (not heavily). It was too bad because Allen had been decent to that point.

Army went up shortly after, 3-0, and that was all she wrote.

Old
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Nice photo of Zane Gothberg over at USA Hockey.

http://wwa.usahockey.com//Template_U...1_05&ID=189846

He had a nice start in Team USA's 6-1 win over Team Canada East in the World Jr. A Challenge tonight.

I really, really like this kid. He probably won't beat out Iles for a spot on the WJC team because he's not an NTDP product like Iles is, but Gothberg has some long-term potential and is worth following.

Old
11-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Nice photo of Zane Gothberg over at USA Hockey.

http://wwa.usahockey.com//Template_U...1_05&ID=189846

He had a nice start in Team USA's 6-1 win over Team Canada East in the World Jr. A Challenge tonight.

I really, really like this kid. He probably won't beat out Iles for a spot on the WJC team because he's not an NTDP product like Iles is, but Gothberg has some long-term potential and is worth following.

Zzaanne Gothh-berrg is a great name for a goalie.

Seriously, he might end up as the best B's goaltending prospect now that Tuukka has graduated.

Old
11-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

A few articles from the local newspaper regarding the Spooner situation. His teammates did not take the news well and were pretty pissed he quit on the team. Asst. Captain Adrian Robertson went on to say "There is no 'I' in 'team' and there is no 'I' in 'Petes'. Spooner was all about 'I' ".

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...aspx?e=2837134

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...aspx?e=2836483

Old
11-09-2010, 11:44 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
A few articles from the local newspaper regarding the Spooner situation. His teammates did not take the news well and were pretty pissed he quit on the team. Asst. Captain Adrian Robertson went on to say "There is no 'I' in 'team' and there is no 'I' in 'Petes'. Spooner was all about 'I' ".

There is a Spooner thread below, maybe these should go there?

The two articles you linked were things that had already been discussed. I missed the part where his teammates commented, didn't look like that was part of the article? In the Spooner thread, Kirk is reporting that GM Dave Reid actually sent Spooner home even though he offered to stay until a trade was completed.

Regardless of what Pelino, Spooner, or the rest of the team says publicly, it's never a good thing when:

1) Two guys request a trade in a week.

2) The GM says his door is open to discuss issues...this rarely works out well in the end. See the NE Patriots when Pete Carroll coached and Bobby Grier was the GM...not pretty.

3) You get conflicting stories from the coach and GM.

Old
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:

Cover any team sport long enough and you'll come to discover that there are always factions that take sides during a divisive issue like this.

One big example I remember was when Mike O'Connell fired Robbie Ftorek. Some pro-Ftorek factions emerged quickly during the fallout (Joe Thornton being the most visible) but there were some less-than-enthused with Ftorek guys who were quietly celebrating the firing. It's just the way these things go.

Quotes from one player in the grand scheme of things-- it isn't the final word on what's going on. It doesn't validate what Pelino said anymore than it definitively proves Spooner is in the wrong.

I talked to one of his teammates as well yesterday, and he took a decidedly different view than Robertson. In fact, and out of respect to him, I'm keeping it on background, but this one particular Petes player refused to speak out against his coach or the decision to send Spooner home, but actually damned coach Pelino with what it was he didn't say. There were no heated denials or defenses...instead, all I got was lukewarm hockey cliches about the job Pelino has done. Be around hockey players long enough, and you quickly learn what is an endorsement, and what is an indictment. The team culture for the most part does not allow them to break ranks publicly, but a vigorous defense of the job that coaching staff has done would have spoken volumes. I didn't get that at all.

Which pretty much brings me back to the original point-- you're always going to have factions in team sports. Even the best coaches have disgruntled players because someone is going to end up with less playing time than he feels he merits or some other reason. Just like you're going to have the loyal players who are playing a lot and good with how the team is being run. It's the nature of the beast.

Old
11-09-2010, 01:03 PM
IceBergy

I know it has been mentioned high-level here, but after checking their website I see Colborne has moved up to having nearly a point a game... is it a result of improved play overall, or just some lucky bounces....

IE is he 'getting' it down there and is he possibly looking at a promotion?

Old
11-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThenewBrucrew View Post
I know it has been mentioned high-level here, but after checking their website I see Colborne has moved up to having nearly a point a game... is it a result of improved play overall, or just some lucky bounces....

IE is he 'getting' it down there and is he possibly looking at a promotion?
He's apparently getting it. I'll be filing a story later today-- but he's done some good work down there according to his coach.

Old
11-09-2010, 07:06 PM
IceBergy

Quote:
He's apparently getting it. I'll be filing a story later today-- but he's done some good work down there according to his coach.
Thanks Kirk, I'll look for it and catch up.

Gotta say, near ppg pace all of a sudden gets me excited about what this chip will turn into (either some leverage, a good future draft pick, or a contributing offensive member of the team down the road) ---- but it really REALLY underscores that Hamill is developing way behind schedule, even according to 'his' timetable (IMO)

Old
11-10-2010, 10:09 PM
C77

Marchand has been putting up some points lately....I didn't have great expectations for him at the NHL level but he has played well....kudos to Kirk on that one.

Old
11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGod II View Post
Just a quick heads up ..

Tommy Cross has missed the last two games and is expected out of the lineup for up to six weeks with ... you guessed it .. A knee Injury.
Cross is apparently doing well and is chomping at the bit to get back on the ice. Here is an article from a BC board

http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1150771

Old
11-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Spooner deal should be announced Thursday, Friday at the latest

Old
11-10-2010, 11:52 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Spooner deal should be announced Thursday, Friday at the latest
Any idea who to yet? I have my strong suspicions based off of what Spooner himself thinks.

Old
11-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Alan Ryan

Joe Colborne working hard

Kirk Luedeke's Hockey Journal story on the hard work that is starting to produce results for Joe Colborne can be found here:

Since scoring his first AHL tally on Halloween, Colborne’s performance has taken off, as he scored two goals in back-to-back games over the weekend.

You can certainly credit Colborne’s pure talent for the turnaround, but the outstanding work he’s put into his conditioning and overall game in the AHL is the primary reason that he’s at the top of the team scoring list with 10 points in 12 games.

After practice the other day, Colborne spent almost two hours in the weight room building the strength that he’ll need to be effective in the AHL and at the next level. That kind of dedication is why the ‘08 first-round pick has added nearly 30 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-5 frame since the Bruins drafted him.

“It’s almost like being in college again,” Colborne said. “We’ll play three games in three nights and then get the middle of the week without playing. It isn’t like the NHL, where you’re playing every second or third night, so it’s an opportunity for me to put in the kind of work that will get my body where it needs to be while I have the time.”

http://kirkscall.hockeyjournal.com/2...es-resurgence/

Old
11-11-2010, 08:10 AM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

zane gothberg with another impressive start. Team USA wins 5-1 over Sweden, gothberg made 32 saves in the win.

http://usahockey.com/Template_Usahoc...1_05&id=294928

Old
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
C77

Marchand leads the B's with 9 takeaways.

Old
11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Word is Ryan Spooner has been dealt to The Kingston Frontenacs. The likely return here for Peterborough is Alan Quine + picks (possibly two 2nd round picks.)

More news is likely to break shortly.

Closed Thread