Old
11-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Anton View Post
Word is Ryan Spooner has been dealt to The Kingston Frontenacs. The likely return here for Peterborough is Alan Quine + picks (possibly two 2nd round picks.)

More news is likely to break shortly.
It's also close to home for him. Good move by Kingston

Old
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Kirk Luedeke's Hockey Journal story on the hard work that is starting to produce results for Joe Colborne can be found here:

Since scoring his first AHL tally on Halloween, Colborne’s performance has taken off, as he scored two goals in back-to-back games over the weekend.

You can certainly credit Colborne’s pure talent for the turnaround, but the outstanding work he’s put into his conditioning and overall game in the AHL is the primary reason that he’s at the top of the team scoring list with 10 points in 12 games.

After practice the other day, Colborne spent almost two hours in the weight room building the strength that he’ll need to be effective in the AHL and at the next level. That kind of dedication is why the ‘08 first-round pick has added nearly 30 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-5 frame since the Bruins drafted him.

“It’s almost like being in college again,” Colborne said. “We’ll play three games in three nights and then get the middle of the week without playing. It isn’t like the NHL, where you’re playing every second or third night, so it’s an opportunity for me to put in the kind of work that will get my body where it needs to be while I have the time.”

http://kirkscall.hockeyjournal.com/2...es-resurgence/
Would be great to have a Jumbo Joe in the lineup again. Sounds like he's taking it seriously and not relying on his god-given ability. Which is a good thing. Recchi can't play forever(though not sure after last night) and there could be a spot on the wing with Bergeron and Caron.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
Looks like it's a done deal. Spooner and Braithwaite (D) to Kingston for Quine, Seymore (D) & two 2nd round picks (one is conditional).

Old
11-11-2010, 10:15 AM
BruinFanSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Anton View Post
Looks like it's a done deal. Spooner and Braithwaite (D) to Kingston for Quine, Seymore (D) & two 2nd round picks (one is conditional).
What is the analysis of this trade?

Is this a good fit?

Old
11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFanSam View Post
What is the analysis of this trade?

Is this a good fit?
It should be good for both teams. Quine was the 2nd overall pick in the draft just a year ago (May '09), Seymour will add size and hopefully some stability to a weak Petes blueline. The Petes get a 2nd round pick for this years draft and a conditional 2nd for the 2013 draft. Quine won't be on Spooner's level offensively, but he should form into a threat for the Petes in that department as he'll get a great opportunity. He's touted as a very solid two-way forward, which should mesh well with what the organization is preaching to the kids, being strong two-way play and reliable back-checking. I'm not here to knock Spooner, but he was indeed weak defensively. Again, not a knock nor throwing stones at the kid, but hopefully Quine can adjust and demonstrate to a better degree what the coaching staff wants.

Spooner should help Kingston in a big way. They're solid in goal, on defence and just became a lot more dangerous offensively up front. Quine was playing 3rd line center so it's not a huge loss to them. This is basically the same situation as Austin Watson coming over from Windsor last season for Kassian. High end player playing low end minutes based on team depth. Worked out well for Watson, time will tell on Quine. Braithwaite could use a change in scenery to be honest. He's a hometown kid and he just hasn't been able to put it all together here. He's good on some nights and lost on others. This should be good for him.

Old
11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Alan Ryan

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the Frontenacs. Spooner wanted to go to a team that has a chance to win the championship. Does this move accomplish that? Who will he play with?

Old
11-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Sorry but I'm not familiar with the Frontenacs. Spooner wanted to go to a team that has a chance to win the championship. Does this move accomplish that? Who will he play with?
Ethan Werek, Erik Gudbranson, Nathan Moon, Taylor Doherty for starters.

Bruins liked Werek in '09 but couldn't move high enough (he went middle 2nd to Rangers) to get him without the assets/picks.

Kingston is on top of the East Division with Oshawa-- pretty good team. Spooner is happy and he gets to play for Doug Gilmour. Oh, and they're a better team with Spooner for sure- Quine was struggling. He's been leading the "most disappointing" lists of scouts I've talked to this season.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 11-11-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Alan Ryan

Thanks Kirk. I just found your article at Kirk's call.

Gilmour should help Spooner with his defensive skills.

Old
11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Zane Gothberg continues to shine, ya know...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...s_id/68000.htm

Old
11-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Spoonie with an assist in his Kingston debut-- 2-0 Fronts game in progress.

Old
11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
Would be great to have a Jumbo Joe in the lineup again. Sounds like he's taking it seriously and not relying on his god-given ability. Which is a good thing. Recchi can't play forever(though not sure after last night) and there could be a spot on the wing with Bergeron and Caron.
My first post, an odd place to start maybe, but it sounds like Colbourne has a good attitude and is willing to do what it takes to improve so that's a good sign because he has a lot of potential.

Old
11-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Dom - OHL

Tyler Randell with an absolute beauty of an end to end rush and scoring while on his way down. So happy for the kid. The hardest worker day in and day out.

Old
11-12-2010, 09:11 PM
robwrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Cross is apparently doing well and is chomping at the bit to get back on the ice. Here is an article from a BC board

http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1150771
Good to hear. I went to HS with TC and had a class with him. Really cool guy.

Old
11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Dom - OHL

Knight with a goal and 3 assists.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Good night for the 2010 2nd rounders- Spooners with 1g, 1a (but a -1) in his Kingston debut, while OOG said above- Knight with 4 pts out of 8 London goals.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Tyler Randell with an absolute beauty of an end to end rush and scoring while on his way down. So happy for the kid. The hardest worker day in and day out.
As much as I like you beating the drum of Ryan Murphy and other draft prospects I appreciate these updates just as much. As a guy that is generally only able to follow box scores I'd never assume that a guy like Randell has some NHL potential...albeit as a 4th line energy guy. Good stuff.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins78 View Post
As much as I like you beating the drum of Ryan Murphy and other draft prospects I appreciate these updates just as much. As a guy that is generally only able to follow box scores I'd never assume that a guy like Randell has some NHL potential...albeit as a 4th line energy guy. Good stuff.
Thanks. Hi-lites are actually up early. You can see them here http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/main/index

Watch Jamie Doornbosch's goal to. Cant believe this guy was never drafted. I hope the B's are keeping an eye on him.

Funny thing about Murphy is the two best games i've seen him this year were last night against Russia (especially when he was paired with Eric Gudbranson) and tonight and he never registered a point.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Jared Knight will be, at best, Boston's version of Pacioretty: a bottom-six forward that can momentarily go out and play on the top two lines.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Jared Knight will be, at best, Boston's version of Pacioretty: a bottom-six forward that can momentarily go out and play on the top two lines.
Thanks for the input. Can you explain why you think that? Would be of great help for those of us that don't get to see him play.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:37 AM
bizman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
In the words of the infamous Andy Sutton, "Are you an expert?".

Old
11-13-2010, 11:17 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Can you explain why you think that? Would be of great help for those of us that don't get to see him play.
He's basing that on the fact that he's a Hab's fan.

I actually see a lot of Dino Ciccarelli in Knight's style. The way he goes to the net, the way he competes around the goal for an undersized guy, that explosive release. Again, not saying Knight will be a HOF'er, just comparing styles.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:24 AM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
OOG i know you watch all the rangers games, can you give some input on Landeskog?

Old
11-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
OOG i know you watch all the rangers games, can you give some input on Landeskog?
Gabe will probably be the most ready to play in the NHL next year in the draft. In fact, i think he could play now. Kirk makes a good comparisson of a mix of Mats Sundin and Brendan Shanahan. He's bang on with that.

He can score any type of goal, finesse goals, dirty goals you name it. Has a wicked backhand. He's gritty unlike any other Swede you have seen. He will fight and is usually the first guy to go out and defend a teammate.

before he was named captain, he showed leadership. I was at a game where the Rangers were down by a goal and he went to the bench and walked behind all the players and gave them a pat on the back and encouragement. He went out and drew a penalty, scored the tieing goal and assisted on the GWG.

Biggest thing is he's coachable. After every shift he's talking to the coaches and trying to learn what he could have done different. Exellent on the PK and the PP. Defensively he's strong and never out of postition. Strong skater, hard to knock off the puck. There is nothing to really not like in this kids game.

I strongly believe that if there is one player that can knock Couturier- Larsson - Nuggent-Hopkins out of the top 3, its Landeskog. In a survey i did of OHL GM's in the preseason, he was the over whelming favorite to go number one from the OHL. Wasnt even close. We'll see what happens when i do the mid season one, but there's no way he stumbles unless he has a major injury.

For the record though, I'm a Knights fan, and it hurts to speak praise of Ranger players much like it did last year with Jeff Skinner. That said, it is what it is.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:47 AM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
Thanks, he looks like a real gem.

All that leadership can´t be overlooked, love it.

Old
11-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
The O'Reilly Rule

Spooner can get used to wearing the black and gold in Kingston.

Closed Thread