HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Can Quick move to Flyers or somewhere else this season?

Old
10-06-2010, 01:50 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Kings aren't trading Quick this season.
Bingo. Emphasis on the "THIS".

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
jb**

any package with the kings needs to include Justin Hocking coming back to the flyers

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That really doesn't mean much at all. First, you have the shootout wins. Quick tied for the league lead last year with 8. If you're going to compare to pre-2005 goalies, then Quick had only 31 wins. The Flyers have had 6 goalies since Lindbergh with 31 or more wins in a season (and two were Czechmanek), so, if the intention was to say that Quick is better than the Flyers have had for 25 years, it's untrue. 31 wins also drops Quick considerably down that "under 24" list, even accounting for all of the other post-lockout goalies on there. He even ends up below Brian Hayward.

Second, most teams know better than to give 72 games to one goaltender, especially one that's so young. It really doesn't matter how good you are; it's up to the coach, and most will feel more comfortable playing the backup than Terry Murray was with Ersberg last season. Even the great Patrick Roy never once played more than 68 games. It wasn't that he wasn't good enough; it was that he had better backups (or, at least, that the coaches had more faith in) and the coaches knew better than to wear him out just getting to the playoffs. No wonder that he reached 40 wins only once (while Brodeur has reached it 8 times while playing more than 68 games 12 times). If the Kings had had Bernier last season or if Terry Murray had learned his lesson a year earlier, Quick would've played a lot less and would've won less.

What Quick did last season was impressive (considering that he came out of nowhere and played well above expectation), but not quite as impressive, historically speaking, as many people like to try to make it. It bothers me when people rattle off records and rankings without any historical context. It disrespects the players that came before, like the Flyers' goalies or Mario Lessard, who had 35 pre-shootout wins and 11 ties in '80-'81, yet no longer holds the Kings record for wins in a season because of Quick's shootout wins. Even Felix Potvin (in '01-'02) had the same 31 pre-shootout wins for the Kings as Quick. Quick had a very nice season, but perspective and historical context are important, too.
On the flip side, you are deemphasizing the importance of shootouts in todays game. The likes of Lindbergh and Lessard and etcetera did not have the benefit of the shootout, but there was also a long period of time where overtime did not exist. The game has evolved quite a bit, and in today's NHL, a goalie with 39 wins (or 31 w/o shootout as you pointed out) is still a significant number of wins. In the end, those shootout wins matter. Ask the Rangers. Their fate was decided in a shootout loss against Philly.

As for the number of games Quick appeared in, I think the coaching staff was aware that their best chance of winning was with Quick in net. Ersberg was very erratic and unreliable in his performance. It was due to his poor play that Terry Murray scrapped his preplanned schedule for goalie rotations.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
pman25

If Bernier takes the starting job from Quick, then yeah, Quick could very well be traded. Not at this very moment, but perhaps later in the season

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
On the flip side, you are deemphasizing the importance of shootouts in todays game. The likes of Lindbergh and Lessard and etcetera did not have the benefit of the shootout, but there was also a long period of time where overtime did not exist. The game has evolved quite a bit, and in today's NHL, a goalie with 39 wins (or 31 w/o shootout as you pointed out) is still a significant number of wins. In the end, those shootout wins matter. Ask the Rangers. Their fate was decided in a shootout loss against Philly.

As for the number of games Quick appeared in, I think the coaching staff was aware that their best chance of winning was with Quick in net. Ersberg was very erratic and unreliable in his performance. It was due to his poor play that Terry Murray scrapped his preplanned schedule for goalie rotations.
Considering it used to almost be an automatic loss when the Kings went to the shootout with LaBarbara in goal, I tend to agree.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

I didn't say anything about the importance of shootouts in today's game, much less de-emphasize it. You seem to have missed the point. Comparing Quick's numbers to other goalies since the lockout is perfectly fine, since it's the same era. It's when comparing them to those of goaltenders in other eras that an asterisk is needed. 8 more wins on top of 31 is not insignificant.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:37 AM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
any package with the kings needs to include Justin Hocking coming back to the flyers
who wouldn't want tough d-man with a +/- of 0 and has never had a stupid penalty in the NHL? yes I had to google him

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4thecupthisyear View Post
Do you think it's possible to see the Flyers make a move and try to get Quick instead of Leighton? For LA Jo Bernier is ready to play in the NHL and remember last spring, Quick wasn't very good in the playoff.
Unless the kid falls flat on his face, the Flyers are not making any moves for a GT like Quick.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Unless the kid falls flat on his face, the Flyers are not making any moves for a GT like Quick.
I dont get what this means? What does a GT like Quick mean?Ye hes not as good as vokoun or others who are available, but he is signed at a cheap price for the next 3 years and is only 24, seems perfect for Philly to be fair

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:39 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Well you know how it works.

Quick played like crap in 3 of his 6 playoff games, so from now on he's a perennial playoff sucker.

There's no better sample size to come to this conclusion. C'mon...6 playoff games !
I wouldn't even say he played like crap in 3 of 6. More like 1-2 of 6.

He was brilliant in the first 3. He did okay in game 4, blew absolute ass in game 5, and it's really tough to jump on him in game 6.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I dont get what this means? What does a GT like Quick mean?Ye hes not as good as vokoun or others who are available, but he is signed at a cheap price for the next 3 years and is only 24, seems perfect for Philly to be fair
The kid I think refers to Bobrovsky, who looks promising and could potentially take the starting job away in Philly.

As for Quick, he's a solid goalie and his cap situation looks good for the Flyers; that said, considering what Kings fans have been asking from the Flyers in return, the Flyers could probably find a more affordable option elsewhere.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Jericho

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Yes! Love it.

Apples and oranges aren't really that different, really. I mean, they're both fruit. Their weight is extremely similar. They both contain acidic elements. They're both roughly spherical. They serve the same social purpose. With the possible exception of a tangerine, I can't think of anything MORE similar to an orange than an apple.

If I was having lunch with a man who was eating an apple and, while I was looking away, he replaced that apple with an orange, I doubt I'd even notice. So how is this a metaphor for difference? I could understand if you said, 'That's like comparing apples and uranium,' or 'That's like comparing apples with baby wolverines,' or 'That's like comparing apples with the early work of Raymond Carver,' or 'That's like comparing apples with hermaphroditic sloths.' Those would all be valid examples of profound disparity.

But NOT apples and oranges.

In every meaningful way, they're virtually identical.

Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:32 PM
madmike77

I can dream since I have Bernier in my hockey pool. But since they're both affordable I doubt it. It pays to have a solid backup or a good tandem.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Carey Price for Quick . That's it that's all .

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post

Who? Why?

10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
pld459666

I have thought that this was going to be the Flyers best option all along.

Think Carter straight up?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:06 PM
DMadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Yeah great deal a goalie that had one good year for a 40 goal scoring two-way center.

Question for ya would you trade Gaborik straightup for him?

DMadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:35 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

If the Flyers offered that the Kings would likely do it, but there's no way the Flyers offer it....and they shouldn't. Having Quick and Bernier in net for the Kings is worth more to the Kings than anything the Flyers would be willing to part with. That's why there's no trade.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:42 PM
captainpaxil

quick strikes me as just the right kinda guy to fit in in a long line of mediocre flyer goaltenders. we could even all join in next year and start a new "your goalie to the flyers for a 2nd" thread. hes a nice player, better than the kings have had in a while but hes not the answer for them or for us. both teams have exciting goalie prospects theyre going to have to make room for and it would just be silly for either team to make a deal

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
quick strikes me as just the right kinda guy to fit in in a long line of mediocre flyer goaltenders. we could even all join in next year and start a new "your goalie to the flyers for a 2nd" thread. hes a nice player, better than the kings have had in a while but hes not the answer for them or for us. both teams have exciting goalie prospects theyre going to have to make room for and it would just be silly for either team to make a deal
Just out of curiosity, why do you think that?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Hollywood

The faster Murray opens his eyes and loses his man crush on Quick the better for LA. I find it laughable fans defending him here, when he is the very one who lost like all of his march and april starts.
It is only a matter of time until he is outshined, given the opportunity by Bernier... Make no mistake, Bernier is the long term plan in LA. Not Johnathan Quick.
The flamers will come out now but just watch and see... Results speak for themselves.
Briere on the kings would be incredible! though i am completely unaware of his remaining contract situation...

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Did you see the Pens game? Unless he falls flat on his face the Flyers believe that they have their GT of the future right now in Bob. I have not seen reflex's like that since Lindberg in a Flyers uniform.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Did you see the Pens game? Unless he falls flat on his face the Flyers believe that they have their GT of the future right now in Bob. I have not seen reflex's like that since Lindberg in a Flyers uniform.
Did i see the pens game during which the pens hit 4 posts and Crosby and Martin(?) both missed complete empty netters from 6 feet out?

That being said, Bob did look good and weirdly looked more comfortable saving the harder shots

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 08:49 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
The faster Murray opens his eyes and loses his man crush on Quick the better for LA. I find it laughable fans defending him here, when he is the very one who lost like all of his march and april starts.
It is only a matter of time until he is outshined, given the opportunity by Bernier... Make no mistake, Bernier is the long term plan in LA. Not Johnathan Quick.
The flamers will come out now but just watch and see... Results speak for themselves.
Briere on the kings would be incredible! though i am completely unaware of his remaining contract situation...
Yes they do, 39 wins is a nice result out of a goalie in his second year in the NHL. ***** and piss and moan all you want about the losses but the fact was he was overplayed as a 2nd year player.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:45 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Did i see the pens game during which the pens hit 4 posts and Crosby and Martin(?) both missed complete empty netters from 6 feet out?
Pens hit 5 posts. Flyers hit 3.

Carter missed a wide-open net on Fleury...again. Meanwhile everyone was falling inexplicably on the ice. One of Bobrovsky's goals against was because an equipment malfunction (at the time it wasn't funny but the replay's kind of funny now).

It was just a bizarre night.

Quote:
That being said, Bob did look good and weirdly looked more comfortable saving the harder shots
Bob looked good regardless. He follows the puck like a hawk, and he's got the reflexes to pull it off.

What we've seen is that he looks comfortable in high pressure situations when his heart is pumping and the adrenaline is following. The only test left is to find out how he reacts during the lulls in the season. Not every game is going to be against Pittsburgh in their home opener at a brand new arena without future HoFer Chris Pronger jumping right into his first professional North American game with a team that doesn't understand a word he's saying on some of the worst ice I've seen in a while. Like I said...there are going to be lulls.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote