HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The 2010 AAA Draft (rosters, picks, discussion, etc.)

Old
10-26-2010, 11:20 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I don't doubt it, he's a legit MLDer, but have you figured out yet if you're going to measure his speed blueline to blueline with a stopwatch or a sundial?
- he slows the game down, that's how he plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
- The LOH quote states he could play all positions. Listed as RW in '96 NHL Yearbook and on bunch of Devils cards.

- seriously? Most of them, actually (6 forwards, 4 D-men and both goalies)
Really, that many? It seems every time you make a pick I think there's a connection. I must be hallucinating.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:40 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Well, one less actually, since Maciver has a connection I overlooked.

MadArcand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:40 AM
seventieslord

Yes, I realize I have to put something together on Kralik to get him off the "interesting picks" list. I'll also need to do the same for Manery.

You'll be surprised. Kralik would make a good MLD starter. Manery can be a 2nd pairing MLD defenseman.

Old
10-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Toledo selects G Rollie Melanson

1983 2nd Team All-Star
1983 William Jennings Trophy

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
As a rookie in 1980-81, Melanson played in eleven games with the Stanley Cup champion Islanders posting an official 8-1-1 record with a 3.10 GAA behind starter Billy Smith. He was called up from the minors to replace Glenn Resch who was sent to the Colorado Rockies in February, 1981. He also started 51 games for the Indianapolis Checkers of the IHL, going 31-16-3 with two shutouts and a 2.57 GAA.

The following year Melanson primarily played in the minors but was used for 11 Islander games to Smith's 46 as the fans of Long Island got to celebrate their third consecutive Stanley Cup that spring. In 1982-83, Melanson started 44 games for New York, three more than Smith, and shared pair shared the Jennings Trophy which goes to the team with the lowest goals against average, but again found himself relegated to bench duty for the playoffs as the veteran Smith led the Islanders to their fourth Stanley Cup championship over the young Edmonton Oilers that spring. In 1983-84 starting duties with Smith were again shared, but Melanson's playing time was cut marginally to 37 games. The Islanders advanced to the Stanley Cup finals for the fifth year in a row, but were turned away in their quest for another title by the Oilers, who avenged their finals loss of a year earlier.

Last edited by Hedberg: 10-26-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
seventieslord

Put Melanson on the "watched to see how far he'd fall" pile... "and hoped he'd fall further".

I know that based on canon, he was likely to be the next goalie selected. He's spent 7 drafts in the 659-940 range. But I wasn't exactly sure why.

It seems that he gets a lot of mileage out of that 2nd team all-star season. And he's lucky he earned that berth, considering he had the 15th-most minutes played in the league that year. (the league had 21 teams) - He was the league's sv% leader, granted - but I'd take Moog's 5th place in sv% with 400 more minutes over Rollie. Liut was also a workhorse and carried a poor team as best as he could. Ditto Meloche.

Melanson led the league in 1984 again, but was 26th in minutes played. After that, he left the Isles and stopped 86.9% of shots that came his way for the next 8 seasons, two of which were spent as a losing starter.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
markrander87

Winnipeg selects Goaltender Tim Thomas

All-Star Games

2008 NHL
2009 NHL

Awards

2008-09 NHL Vezina Trophy
2008-09 NHL William M. Jennings Trophy

2008-09 NHL NHL All-Star Team (1st)

More Career Regular Season and Playoff wins incompariosn to Melanson.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
It seems that he gets a lot of mileage out of that 2nd team all-star season.
I think he gets the mileage out of a dynasty team trusting him enough to split time with an ATD starter.

Thomas is a better pick though.

Last edited by Hedberg: 10-26-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old
10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
seventieslord

Before I did more research, I actually thought Thomas and Theodore were fighting it out for starter's duties on my team.

I liked Theodore better in the end. Both had a very dominant, memorable regular season, another where they ranked high in sv%, and another where they ranked high in sv% in very limited duty. In the end, Theo's NHL longevity and his playoff success relative to Thomas put him in front.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
I liked Theodore better in the end. Both had a very dominant, memorable regular season, another where they ranked high in sv%, and another where they ranked high in sv% in very limited duty. In the end, Theo's NHL longevity and his playoff success relative to Thomas put him in front.
The 08-09 Bruins were probably better defensively than the 01-02 Canadiens were as well.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Nalyd Psycho

The original Hat trick Alex Kaleta, LW

10-26-2010, 02:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
ok, the long awaited Bryzgalov scouting report:

Quote:
"Virtually every NHL GM who talked trade with the Ducks before the March 13 deadline inquired about Bryzgalov" according to GM Pierre Gauthier. "He's having a tremendous year," Gauthier said. Bryzgalov's 6-foot-3, 196-pound size alone makes him a promising prospect, but it is his competitiveness and ability that has the Ducks most excited. Bryzgalov, 20, had recorded eight shutouts by early March." (Dan Wood, The Hockey News Future Watch 2001)
Quote:
"Largely because of a lack of talent around him, Bryzgalov has not done a lot of winning with Cincinnati (AHL), despite compiling solid statistics. Before he arrives in Anaheim, team brass is hopeful Bryzgalov will experience a winning environment there. While still adjusting in just his second season in North America, the native of Togliatti, Russia, has a nice blend of size, skill and athletic ability." (Dan Wood, The Hockey News Future Watch 2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Curatolo, NHL Hot Stove
During the summer of 2005, Gerber departed which in turn finally opened a door for Bryzgalov to get some real NHL time. During the 2005-06 season, Giguere went down with an injury allowing Bryzgalov to finally show his capabilities between the pipes.

That year, he responded to the challenge with a 13-12-1 regular season record. He posted a 2.51 goals against average and a .910 save percentage. The Ducks made the playoffs that season and Bryzgalov made three starts with one relief appearance in their first-round series against the Calgary Flames.

In Game One, he filled in for an injured Gigučre, recording a 2–1 overtime loss. He would again relieve Gigučre in Game 5, stopping all 19 shots he faced in a 3–2 loss. At that point, the Ducks handed the starting position to Bryzgalov for Games 6 and 7 of the series, winning 2–1 in Game 6 and recording a shutout in the decisive Game 7.

Advancing further into the playoffs, Bryzgalov found himself on top of his game. He recorded 5–0 and 3–0 shutouts in the first two games of the second series against the Colorado Avalanche, giving the young netminder three consecutive shutouts which tied the 1945 record set by Frank McCool, and passed Gigučre who had recorded consecutive shutouts during the 2003 playoffs which held the record for the third longest playoff shutout streak of all-time.
International Play:
2000 World Junior Championships, 2000 World Championships, 2004 World Cup, 2009 World Championships, 2006 Winter Olympics, 2010 Winter Olympics

Accomplishments:
2002 AHL All Star
Tied record for consecutive playoff shutouts in 2006
2010 2nd team NHL All-Star

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
The 08-09 Bruins were probably better defensively than the 01-02 Canadiens were as well.
true. definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The original Hat trick Alex Kaleta, LW
Nice! One of my "best remaining" guys following AA10.

Old
10-26-2010, 03:28 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Pellerin's not bad, I was kicking him around too. But here's the thing about his PK:

the years in which he killed a lot of penalties were 1997-2002, particularly 1997-2000 with St. Louis. I'm sure Pellerin did his part well; however, there were two much bigger reasons for the success of their PK than him.

I realize that similar criticisms can be made about every statistically great penalty killer taken this late. But with St. Louis, circa 1997-2000, it is just so glaring.
I've thought about it. Going by SH minutes in the STL years, it was Pellerin, Conroy, Pronger and MacInnis/undrafted D-man who played the brunt of the PK. That is an elite unit, sure, but Pellerin was an integral part - his career PK success rate murders theirs, which are all still excellent but 0.9+. And it's not like the other teams in his career were much better than say Conroy's. It's not some leechery.

MadArcand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
D Kim Johnsson, the anchor of the Philadelphia defense (NOT Eric Desjardins) in the early 2000s, taking them to within one game of the SCF.

ATOI finishes 2000-01 to 2008-09: 2, 1, 1, 1, 4, 1, 1, 1, 2
Scoring finishes among defensemen on team(00 to 08): 2, 1, 1, 1, 3(2nd in PPG), 3, 2
3x Top 21 Point Finishes Among Defensemen (14, 16, 21)
2x Barry Ashbee Trophy Winner for best Flyers Defenseman
1x Swedish Olympian
2x Top 16 All-Star Voting Among Defensemen (11, 16)

Quote:
Has terrific instincts. Plays a very intelligent game from the back end. Sees the ice well and makes crisp passes out of his zone. Is relatively low-maintenance and can log a ton of ice time.
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/54704/Kim_Johnsson

Quote:
The most productive result from the much-anticipated Eric Lindros trade was the development and commendable play of Kim Johnsson. Acquired with two other players for Lindros in 2001, Johnsson wasted no time in becoming one of the best defensemen on the team. He won the Barry Ashbee trophy in 2001-02 and led Flyer blueliners in scoring during each of his first two seasons in Philadelphia. Playing in every game, Johnsson's dependability and production improved his credentials as he established himself as an NHL veteran. The Flyers have been one of the best defensive teams in hockey for years, and no opponent allowed fewer goals during the 2003-03 season. Kim Johnsson significantly shares in the credit for these accomplishments.
http://books.google.com/books?id=7DH...hnsson&f=false

Quote:
Clarke got the best of the trade by landing speedy young defenseman Kim Johnsson...

The best player in the deal turned out to be Kim Johnsson, a solid puck-moving Swedish defenseman.
http://books.google.com/books?id=9hp...hnsson&f=false

Quote:
Ten Best Philly Pro Players Not Born in This Country

9. Kim Johnsson. Very good stick handling defenseman from Sweden who was exactly what the Flyers needed in 2006 when they were dumped by Buffalo in the first round of the playoffs.
http://books.google.com/books?id=M95...hnsson&f=false

Quote:
He even got the best of the Lindros deal in the end, sending poor Eric to the Rangers for rising star Kim Johnsson
http://books.google.com/books?id=pnP...hnsson&f=false

Quote:
It's the sitting and watching that's killing Kim Johnsson. Johnsson, the Flyers' top defenseman
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courierp...g&pqatl=google

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 07-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:11 PM
seventieslord

Taking a guy who has been a #1 defenseman 6 times? Who would criticize you for that?

Actually, it's amazing how much his statistical measures match up to the guy I just took, Randy Manery.

Both played a ton of minutes relative to other D-men being selected right now. Both fixtures on the PP (51%, 48%), and PK (both 39%). Both underappreciated. Both positive adjusted +/-, with Manery getting the edge in that department. Both averaged exactly 0.28 ajusted ESPPG.

Old
10-26-2010, 07:03 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The stats on Soviet league scoring are unclear. But what is crystal clear is that Romishevsky was a three-time Soviet league all-star (2nd and 3rd team selection) so that puts him in the top 6, as does winning two Olympic golds, several world championships and 9 Soviet league championships. He was a top 6 Soviet defenseman of his generation, the very same generation that proved to the world they could play at the level of the NHL's best. That 1965-71 period was his peak, and while he didn't play in the '72 Summit Series, it wasn't due to his play, but to politics, and he was missed, by at least two accounts. Selecting one of the top 6 Soviet defensemen of that generation over the 120th NHLer of the same generation is not a move that needs defending much. He played at the highest level internationally alongside his country's best at a time when his country had world class talent, he played on his league's best team and he was three times recognized as an all-star (2nd, 3rd team, meaning top 4 and top 6). Sure it would be nice to have more information. Just as it would be nice to have more info on early era greats. But there is no reason to think the Red Army rearguard will struggle as a AAA team's number 6/7 dman, especially given Soviet training and skills level. (Better to number crunch some regular NHL nobody and decry that he's underappreciated by everybody?)

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:14 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
I'm really pleased to get Mike Murphy this late.

Murphy is hugely underrated. He is described as a solid, honest, hardworking, strong, and physical forward from his scouting reports, and he was strong defensively as well. I saw one of his games on NHL network and he was one of the most physical forwards on the ice, if not the most physical.
I passed on Murphy. I saw him play a little and wasn't impressed. Could you provide links/references to his intangibles, to his abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticslord
]He was one of 36 available wingers with 400+ games post expansion who killed at least 30% of their team's penalties throughout their careers (he killed 36%). He was 6th in GP among these 36 wingers, making it more impressive that he maintained that level of responsibility. He was 2nd among these 36 wingers with a career 0.46 adj. ESPPG (only 7 had even 0.40). He was 5th with a career adjusted -1 (one of only 6 with better than a career -10).
Ah, number crunching stats.

Quote:
His 556 career points, three 60+ point seasons, and four 25+ goal seasons put him in pretty rare company among any player, not just wingers who killed penalties (it should go without saying that he is easily the cream of that crop offensively)
This resonates, and is good use of penalty killing stats. He killed penalties and had some offensive talent. That at least shows him as a two-way NHL regular worth of Double-A level 3rd line duty.

I am surprised you haven't mentioned one significant fact: he was team captain for six years. The leadership qualities of anyone who captained an NHL team for over half a decade is clear, and may be a consideration in making a depth pick here.

If I could have found references to Murphy's intangibles, some kind of description or praise of him, I would have considered him for my team in this draft. I just couldn't find anything after looking. If you could cite references (other than your own watching of a game) to what you say is his solid, honest, hardworking, strong, and physical NHL performances, him being strong defensively, that would be appreciated.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Dreakmur

London Bandits will take Marek Zidlicky

He's a speedy and skilled puck-mover, which is what we needed to add. Early in his career, he was bad defensively, but, since joining Minnesota, he's really evolved into a solid and reliable defensive player. Overall, he's still not great defensively - probably slightly below average - but he's here to provide good puck movement and some bite on the powerplay.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:29 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The stats on Soviet league scoring are unclear. But what is crystal clear is that Romishevsky was a three-time Soviet league all-star (2nd and 3rd team selection) so that puts him in the top 6, as does winning two Olympic golds, several world championships and 9 Soviet league championships. He was a top 6 Soviet defenseman of his generation, the very same generation that proved to the world they could play at the level of the NHL's best. That 1965-71 period was his peak, and while he didn't play in the '72 Summit Series, it wasn't due to his play, but to politics, and he was missed, by at least two accounts. Selecting one of the top 6 Soviet defensemen of that generation over the 120th NHLer of the same generation is not a move that needs defending much. He played at the highest level internationally alongside his country's best at a time when his country had world class talent, he played on his league's best team and he was three times recognized as an all-star (2nd, 3rd team, meaning top 4 and top 6). Sure it would be nice to have more information. Just as it would be nice to have more info on early era greats. But there is no reason to think the Red Army rearguard will struggle as a AAA team's number 6/7 dman, especially given Soviet training and skills level. (Better to number crunch some regular NHL nobody and decry that he's underappreciated by everybody?)
- actually, it's almost crystal clear that Romishevsky didn't have 126 Soviet League goals. We should all at least agree on that much.

- the 2nd and 3rd all-star teams are nice, it's too bad that they didn't exist in every season so that other players' soviet league resumes could be better supported.

- Who's this "120th NHLer of the same generation" that you are referring to? And the "regular NHL nobody" you mention later?

- I was not criticizing Romishevsky as a pick or really criticizing anything at all. But the majority of what chidlovsky's site calls "international games" are really useless fluff. The 43 games he played in this "highest level" that you speak of, are what really matter. There should really be a way to separate those out from the searches. And I kinda feel that when I quote a soviet player as having x number of international games and you quote a different player as having another number, I will have to continue to point out that we're talking about two different currencies, or people may be misled. So we oughta just get on the same page.

- I assume you have Ragulin, Ivanov, Davydov, and Kuzkin ahead of him. Who else makes him 6th? Paladiev was definitely the same generation and they are close. (what's better, 2nd 2nd 3rd and 35 international games including the SS, or 1st and 3rd with 43 international games?) Gusev, Sidorenkov and Lutchenko were born 7-9 years before/after him so I doubt you'd count them in his generation.

- With that said, and keeping in mind that I'm not against Romishevsky's inclusion, who says being the 6th-best defenseman in Russia in the late 1960s makes him as good as guys who were frequent #1-3 defensemen in the NHL in the 1970s (because guys like that are still being taken and avaialble)? I realize they were great, and I realize their best could play with our best, but it's not like they had the same depth as a nation. At some point there's a drop-off. It's fair to assume that their 6th-best was an NHLcaliber player, but where would he fit in if you dropped him in? 15th-best in the NHL? 30th? A #4 guy? #6? Depth? You sound awfully confident about something that seems so uncertain.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old
10-26-2010, 08:44 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
This resonates, and is good use of penalty killing stats. He killed penalties and had some offensive talent. That at least shows him as a two-way NHL regular worth of Double-A level 3rd line duty.
It's really funny that the only stat I qouted that you found useful at all was simple counting stats that are era-dependent.

Quote:
I am surprised you haven't mentioned one significant fact: he was team captain for six years. The leadership qualities of anyone who captained an NHL team for over half a decade is clear, and may be a consideration in making a depth pick here.
Actually.... I completely overlooked that.

Quote:
If I could have found references to Murphy's intangibles, some kind of description or praise of him, I would have considered him for my team in this draft. I just couldn't find anything after looking. If you could cite references (other than your own watching of a game) to what you say is his solid, honest, hardworking, strong, and physical NHL performances, him being strong defensively, that would be appreciated.
18 months ago, in AA10, I had a hard time finding anything and basically went by the fact that I had seen him play physically and his PK stats were very strong. Now I have scouting report books that make this much easier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1973
Has good size and a hard, accurate shot... fast enough to keep up with Unger, one of the fastest centers around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1976
Learned aggressive checking under Fred Shero in Omaha...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1977
New breed of captain, in the Bobby Clarke/Jim Schoenfeld mold... spends time on flights pacing the aisles talking with teammates...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1978
falls into the mould of Bobby Clarke - work and inspiration... leadership plus production have placed him as one of the mainstays in Kings' revival...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1979
Even without scoring, he contributes with his leadership and defensive skills... Former coach Bob Pulford eates him among the league's premier two-way players... he's not afraid to dig in the corner for the puck and is a good penalty killer... He calls his play in the defensive zone "the strongest part of my game"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1980
Heady, unselfish defensive stalwart...especially effective along the boards, he makes deft use of skates to move puck while fending off opponents with arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1981
dependable, hard working winger who checks strongly... a strong leader who has achieved success in hockey through hard work... a much-respected man in NHL circles...
that, with six seasons of NHL captaincy, would be great at this point for a guy who had 200 career points, let alone 556! In fact, he sounds like Mike Keane with 80 more points in 300 fewer games and without all the cups.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-27-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
(Better to number crunch some regular NHL nobody and decry that he's underappreciated by everybody?)

Ah, number crunching stats.
tsk tsk, mighty critical lately.

I must say you haven't been making this edition of the AAA draft very enjoyable. Try lightening up and maybe open your eyes to some other methods of evaluation.

For example, even strength scoring, just number-crunching? Far from it! My PP units are set, and Mike Murphy isn't on them. The only offensive numbers I should care about in a bottom-6 player who is only getting even strength time, is even strength scoring.

games played? that's a simple counting stat. You like those! Besides, it helps to qualify rate-related stats like the player's PK% or ESPPG. You do it for longer, it's more impressive. Right?

No need to be so dismissive.

Old
10-26-2010, 08:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post

He's a speedy and skilled puck-mover, which is what we needed to add. Early in his career, he was bad defensively, but, since joining Minnesota, he's really evolved into a solid and reliable defensive player. Overall, he's still not great defensively - probably slightly below average - but he's here to provide good puck movement and some bite on the powerplay.
Not sure how I feel about the pick overall, but as a specialist, he's something special.

At the risk of being blasted, I am going to dare to point out that he's actually 3rd among available (post-expansion, 400+ GP) players with 0.36 adj. PPPPG and 1st among defensemen.

Old
10-26-2010, 10:07 PM
seventieslord

Now, as for the underappreciated, far-from-nobody Randy Manery:

- Averaged 23.63 minutes per game in his 583-game career
- Placed 1st, 1st, 1st, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 6th among his teams' defense corps in his 8 full seasons
- Career adjusted +59 (you might find this in an offensive specialist with sheltered minutes this late in the draft, but rarely in a guy who spent 5 seasons as a top-pairing guy)
- One of the most-used special teams defensemen in the AA draft: 51% on the PP, 39% on the PK
- 11th, 15th, 16th in defense scoring
- 3rd, 17th, 19th, 22nd among NHL defense TOI in his 4 best seasons
- In these 4 seasons, there were just 11 instances of an undrafted defenseman having more TOI (out of 57 instances)
- 256 points in 582 games
- 20th in points by defensemen during his 8 full seasons, only undrafted ahead is a whopping minus, only one other undrafted in the top-30
- Played in NHL All-Star Game (1973)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia
For some strange reason, the Wings failed to protect him, and the Flames plucked him onto their blueline. Manery is their top offensive defenseman, plays the point on the PP, and yet many consier him to be the best defensively-oriented member of the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1974
Detroit Red Wings must regret losing him in expansion draft... was Flames' most dependable defenseman last season and was selected to play in the all-star game... a defensive defenseman in the mold of Rod Seiling who seldom takes foolish penalties or is caught out of position... quick, mobile skater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1975
One of the talented young players Atlanta is building their club around... very steady type who carries the puck well... much admired by Philadelphia coach Fred Shero, who saw him regularly in the central league...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1976
a conservative type... in demand as an after-dinner speaker in the Atlanta area... a fast learner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1978
Top scorer among Flames defensemen for the 3rd time... One of the most fundamentally sound blueliners in hockey...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1979
LA's most consistent defenseman last season... was unhappy at being dealt away but made a quick adjustment... not as aggressive as other LA defensemen... a good skater and stickhandler, he's adept at carrying the puck and passing... possesses a strong shot from the point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1980
Not a hitter, but provides steady, intelligent play in his own zone and smooth puckhandling for an otherwise erratic blueline corps... after five seasons with Atlanta, Kings stole him in a trade...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times, November 15, 1978
Randy Manery, probably the steadiest per- former on the blue line this season

Last edited by seventieslord: 12-11-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old
10-26-2010, 10:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post

He was on my shortlist for extra players at the defense position had he made it the next few rounds. One of those guys that's underappreciated for what he brings to the table but puts up consistent points. His +/- is deceptively bad due to how bad some of the teams he's played on have been.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:35 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
He was on my shortlist for extra players at the defense position had he made it the next few rounds. One of those guys that's underappreciated for what he brings to the table but puts up consistent points. His +/- is deceptively bad due to how bad some of the teams he's played on have been.
the last two in particular.

Besides that, he's been on playoff teams.

He plays sheltered minutes and still hovers around even adjusted +/-. He's no Olausson, but then this is the AAA draft.