HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The 2010 AAA Draft (rosters, picks, discussion, etc.)

Old
10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
thru three days...

stolen from the Queen's shortlist: Poile, Mickoski
taken from the Queen's longlist: Bruneteau, Walton, Lewicki, McKenny, Lukowich, Straka, Visnovsky, Daley
decidedly not in Queen's plans: Nedved, Allison, Murray, Stumpel
watched to see how far they'd fall: Satan, Gradin, Mellanby, Giles
overlooked by Queen's scouting: Briere, Streit, Ruttan
interesting picks: Bryzgalov, Drobny, Stuart, Green
Completely agree on almost all counts.

I actually wanted mickoski more than Mellanby but thought Mellanby would be more high-profile and thus more likely to be taken.

Mellanby is a bit of a unique character to me. He is going to be for me what drury was for me in the mld. He does not have a great offensive peak but his offensive longevity is strong. He oozes leadership and character, and he is hella tough and physical. More of a goalscorer than playmaker, I think he meshes well with Allison (who had a couple great years with Deadmarsh)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:17 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Over his 5 year career, he was the 8th leading scorer in the NHA.
I assume you mean the NHL The name change happened before Red Green joined.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Seth Martin, G

Quote:
The Russians new him very well during their international clashes in the 1960s. He routinely impressed them with his consistency and style. They respected him and feared him perhaps more than any other Canadian amateur during this time period. They thought of Martin as being the supreme goaltender, and copied his style to train future Russian netminders, including a young Vladislav Tretiak. Martin would become the role model for Tretiak and Soviet goalies of the future.

But other nations also studied Martin, most notably Czechoslovakia. Czech goaltending legend Jiri Holecek, who later influenced Vladimir Dzurilla and Dominik Hasek, closely watched Martin.
Quote:
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:

- Played twenty years with the Western International Hockey League, starting in 1952, and spent eleven years with the Smoke Eaters.
- Backstopped the Trail Smoke Eaters to a 1961 World Hockey Championship.
- Won Best Goal-Tender award at four World Hockey Championships (1961, 1963, 1964, 1966)
- Named to the World All-Star team on three occasions: 1961, 1964 and 1966
- On three Trail Smoke Eaters teams that won BC?s Savage Cup (1960, 1962, 1963)
- Played on two Allan Cup Championships: Trail 1961/62 and Spokane 1969/70)
- Was a 34-year-old rookie with the St. Louis Blues in the newly expanded NHL during 1967/68. Played 26 games that season and at age 35 returned home to Trail
- Coached the Smoke Eaters four seasons between playing for the Spokane Jets (won the Allan Cup, 1969/70 and 1972/73).

10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
decidedly not in Queen's plans: Nedved, Allison, Murray, Stumpel
Nedved (attitude), and Murray (Thornton creation) I can understand. How come Stumpel and Allison? It's not that they don't have issues of their own, but I thought you liked these guys. You pushed for Dawson City to have Stumpel on the roster, and you had Allison as a 2nd line AAA center (cumulative pick 1042) in AAA10.

Old
10-10-2010, 01:03 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You pushed for Dawson City to have Stumpel on the roster, and you had Allison as a 2nd line AAA center (cumulative pick 1042) in AAA10.
All I'm saying is they are not in my team's plans. Allison is too slow for what I want, has limited playoff experience and I have indeed drafted him before, so he was struck off of a pretty deep list of centers that he didn't stand above. I knew he'd go before my 6th or 7th pick, which would be the earliest I'd nab him even if I wanted to, given other priorities. I've also uncovered a couple of off-the-board centers I'm considering.

Stumpel, another natural center, has two great assist total seasons but has never really impressed me. He is ideally a Double-A Draft quality guy imo and as such I nominated him to be on the AA-all-star Nuggets squad, and other GMs concurred. I'm not saying he is a bad pick now, just not a great one given other options. I don't even want to argue that, but that is what I was thinking when I decided he wouldn't be in my team's plans this draft.

Briere is a center drafted so far that made me pause because I hadn't considered him, but... given his four great postseasons, 87 pts in 86 NHL playoff games, including leading scorers to the Stanley Cup Finals... I should have had the injury-prone little guy at least on my extra skater shortlist.

The interesting picks simply mean that. I'm intrigued and they get me thinking, wondering, wanting more info, needing more consideration, before I could say where I'd expect them to go.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:05 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Queen's University selects the glue guy on one of the greatest lines in NHL history, right winger Mac Colville. He played a role on one of the top lines in hockey for six years in the NHL, and while he had three years with top-20 stats it's almost unfair to mention scoring at all as his job was more defensive, as indeed most great lines have a role player to do the little things like dig pucks out of corners, create turnovers and check. He is described as a "tireless worker" and that is not surprising.

His playoff experience is pretty good for his era, with 19 NHL playoff points in an impressive 40 postseason games between 1937-42, including two finals and a stanley cup championship.
Quote:
Mac scored two goals in the opener of the Rangers' semifinal playoff series in 1940 against the Boston Bruins, and the Rangers went on to win the Stanley Cup against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Mac paid attention to defensive play. ''I did all the backchecking."
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/02/sp...e-rangers.html

Old
10-10-2010, 08:06 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

The Johnstown Jets are pleased to select with our 4th pick in the AAA draft, defenseman Tom Kurvers.

While Kurvers is best-known for being the player Toronto got in exchange for the pick to get Scott Niedermayer, one must not discount Kurvers who was a good offensive defenseman and a strong leader in the dressing room.

More can be found on Kurvers at the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10858

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Nalyd Psycho

The Abbotsford Pilots select: Jim Dorey, D

Quote:
Known for his rugged, yet clean style of play, Jim Dorey enjoyed a lengthy professional hockey career, primarily based on a solid work ethic.
Quote:
He told me once that he sat in the dressing room alone, nursing sore knuckles and shaking his head in disbelief, wondering what the hell he’d done, how he could be so undisciplined, convinced that Punch Imlach was going to send him so far down in the minors he’d never re-surface.

A door swung open but he wouldn’t look up. He cringed when he heard footsteps enter the room. King Clancy, then Imlach. He braced himself for a verbal barrage from Imlach. But it was Clancy who spoke first.

“That’s the kind of fight we like to see,” the King cackled, slapping him on the back. “What a debut!”

“You beat the crap out of couple a Penguins,” chuckled Imlach. “Here’s a hundred bucks. Get the hell out of here before the media comes in.”
Quote:
Flipper because of his tendency to flip the puck high over the heads of everyone in order to clear the zone, was known as a big lumbering defenseman who took many penalties. In fact in his rookie season he established a then-record 48 penalty minutes in one game en route to a 200 PIM season!

The WHA featured a much weaker collection of defensemen, which allowed Dorey to develop into more than just a physical spare part. He was named to the post season all star team in 1973, his first season in the Association, after scoring 7 goals and 63 points in 75 games. He also led all WHA scorers in assists in the playoffs with 16 in 15 games.
Quote:
But Dorey, described as an undisputed leader with a knack of annoying fans while on the road by Zander Hollander, won't be remembered for that. Instead he'll be remembered for his rock hard style of defense and his fine seasons in the World Hockey Association. He scored 52 times and added 232 helpers for 284 points in 431 WHA games, while adding 617 well earned PIMs. In the NHL he had 25 goals and 99 points in 232 games in addition to 553 minutes in the box.

Last edited by Nalyd Psycho: 10-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:27 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Daren Puppa, G

- twice Vezina finalist ('90, '96)
- 2nd team All-star ('90)
- led league in wins ('90)

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:32 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Darren Puppa is a good pick.

I guess I should figure out who I'm going to pick now, huh?

Old
10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

London will take all-round defenseman Alexei Zhitnik, D

Awards:
* Stanley Cup Finalist in 1993, 1999
* 1998–99: Played in the All-Star Game (NHL)
* 2001–02: Played in the All-Star Game (NHL)

* 2008: Spengler Cup Champion (Dynamo Moscow)
* 2008–09: Played in the All-Star Game (KHL)
*Captain of Dynamo Moscow in 2009-10

NHL Stats:

*Played more NHL games (1085) than any other Russian born defenseman.
*471 NHL points and 1268 PIM in 1085 NHL games

*39 NHL playoff points in 98 NHL postseason games;
*3 goals, 12 points in the Kings 1993 Stanley Cup run;
*4 goals, 15 points in the Sabres 1999 Stanley Cup run (tied for team lead in points and 8th overall).
*led all NHL defensemen in shorthanded goals in '97-'98 with three.

International Play:
*Played in three Olympic Games (1992, 1998, 2002). Gold in 1992, Silver in 1998.
*Played in the 1996 World Cup. (Bronze medal)
*Also played in two World Championships (1994, 1996) and one Canada Cup (1991)
*Named best defenseman of the 1996 World Championships

Time on Ice:
In 97-98, Zhitnik was 6th in the NHL in Time on Ice with 26:52, more than 4 full minutes over 2nd on the team.
In 98-99, Zhitnik was 12th in the NHL in TOI with 25:38, almost 4 full minutes over 2nd on the team.
In the 1999 playoffs when Buffalo reached the finals, Zhitnik led the team with 27:07, 3 full minutes over 2nd place and 5.5 full minutes over 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
At the end of the 1997-98 season, Alexei Zhitnik of the Buffalo Sabres won the team's Tim Horton Memorial Award for the "player whose performance is far superior to public recognition." It was a fitting tribute to a player who has developed a reputation as an anchor on the Sabres squad for solid, hardworking defense, a man who has matured quickly during his years in the NHL.
Once in Buffalo, Zhitnik established himself as a defensive stalwart. But after playing there for two seasons, he started to pick up the pace on the offensive side of the ice as well. Overall, he developed into the kind of player the Sabres could count on to contribute wherever he was needed.

At the time Buffalo has developed into a playoff contender, making it all the way to the Cup finals against Dallas in 1998-99, yet this hasn't been a club that overpowered opponents with offense, relying instead on heroics between the pipes by all-World goalie Dominik Hasek. And that's why coach Ruff has come increasingly to value the offensive contributions of players like Zhitnik.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 10-10-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old
10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I like the Puppa pick, was definitely hoping he'd slip through the cracks a bit more. And Zhitnik is a guy that popped up as a possible alternative to Kurvers had he gone earlier.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Toledo selects D Nikolai Makarov

5th leading goal scorer among defencemen in Soviet League history
113 goals in 490 games
Held the record for most goals in a Soviet League season by a defenceman (21)

A talented Soviet defender playing on one of the weak Soviet League teams, he dominated the Finnish League at the end of his career.

Last edited by Hedberg: 10-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Philadelphia selects G Mike Palmateer

4x Top 10 Wins (3, 3, 8, 10)
2x Top 10 GAA (6, 9)
5x Top 10 Shutouts (2, 2, 3, 5, 7)
3x Top 10 SV%
4x Top 9 Goalie All-Star voting (3, 7, 8, 9)
5th in Hart Trophy Voting 1978-1979

Quote:
The Leafs did finally bring Palmateer into the chain in 1974. He was promptly dispatched to the minors where he tended goal for the Saginaw Gears of the IHL and the Oklahoma City Blazers of the CHL. It wasn't until early in the 1976-77 campaign that he was brought to Maple Leaf Gardens for an extended stay. Suddenly, fans, analysts, and the club's management were all struck by the little fireball between the Leafs' pipes.

Some described him as a leprechaun in goal pads while others claimed he was brash and overrated and carried a chip on his shoulder. But whether people liked him or not, they couldn't help but be entertained by his dynamic exploits in the crease. He could make saves like a vaudeville dancer falling to the ice and then in an instant, be right back on his feet, ready for the next attack. He was colourful, cantankerous, and cocky while playing his daring game close to the edge.

From 1977 to 1979, with Palmateer in goal, the Leafs fortunes began to rise up from the depths of ineptitude. During the playoffs of 1978, he was a standout as the Leafs ousted the up-and-coming Islanders from the playoffs. But in 1980, Palmateer engaged in a contract dispute with the Leafs. He wanted a three-year deal while the club would offer only two. As a result, he was traded to the Washington Capitals.

He was put on the shelf to have arthroscopic surgery at a local hospital. He was already dressed in hospital linen, on his way into the operating room when an urgent call came through from the Caps. Their other goalie, Wayne Stephenson, had just gone down with an injury. They needed Palmateer, bad knee and all, for the evening's game. So, he was packed back into the ambulance and delivered the stadium in time for the match. His surgery was then completed several days later.
-loh.net

Quote:
Mike Palmateer was hailed as Toronto Maple Leafs savior by Torontonians even before he played in the NHL.

Born in Toronto, Palmateer was a junior standout with the hometown Marlboros of the OHA. Drafted 85th overall in the 1974 Amateur Draft by the Leafs after Palmateer backstopped the Marlies win of the Memorial Cup in 1974-75 during his last year of junior hockey.

Palmateer apprenticed in the Central Hockey League for a couple of seasons before making his NHL debut with the Maple Leafs in 1976-77. He had a solid rookie year, going 23-28-8 in 50 games as the Leafs starting goalie, taking that role from Wayne Thomas.

The following year he was Palmateer's best season. He played a career high 63 games played, 34 wins and 5 shutouts. Most importantly, he was a key figure in the club’s drive to the Stanley Cup semifinals. He recorded 2 more shutouts in the playoffs. It was the first time since 1967 that the Leafs had become serious contenders for the Stanley Cup.

In those 1978 playoffs Palmateer was at his best during the Leaf's quarter final upset of the New York Islanders.

Mike was an acrobatic goalie, always flopping around on the ice like a fish out of water. He was exciting to watch but every shot seemed like an adventure. He could make an ordinary save look spectacular, but at the same time he often looked bad as an easy shot got past him.

"Palmateer doesn't play text-book goal," said then-Toronto GM Mike Nykoluk. "But he is awfully quick and has great hands and a wonderful sense of anticipation. The idea is to stop the puck, and that's what he does."

Palmateer was extremely confident in his abilities.

"That's my style, and I think that scrambling and challenging the shooter is best for me. I can play with any goalkeeper in the NHL. No one is better than me, and I'm better than most."

Despite the excitement surrounding the Leafs, turmoil ruined that team. Owner Harold Ballard decided to get rid of most of the young budding superstars - Darryl Sittler, Tiger Williams, Lanny McDonald and yes Mike Palmateer. All four of these players had terrible relations with GM Punch Imlach, especially at contract time.

Prior to the 1979-80 season, Palmateer was traded to the Washington Capitals with a third round pick (Torrie Robertson) for Robert Picard, Tim Coulis and a 2nd round pick (Bob McGill). He played in the United States capital for two seasons.

Palmateer recorded 17 shutouts and a goals-against average of 3.53 over an impressive eight-year NHL career. His career totals - 149 wins, 138 losses and 52 ties.
-Joe Pelletier

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 10-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:34 PM
seventieslord

The more I look around, the more guys I want here. But I'm gonna take the one with the greatest likelihood of getting scooped.

An excellent defensive forward and decent offensive contributor, one of the finest faceoff men of his era, a strong penalty killer, great leader and a salt of the earth good guy...

Peter Zezel, C

Old
10-10-2010, 07:20 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

The Tigers draft Hib Milks.

Quote:
“mighty effective” … called a player who didn’t mind taking or giving a bump, excellent at the poke check, and aggressive
#1 in team scoring the first four years, top-3 the two seasons thereafter, until a knee injury ended his career scoring.

1925-26 26 Pittsburgh Pirates NHL 36 14 5 19 17
1926-27 27 Pittsburgh Pirates NHL 44 16 6 22 18
1927-28 28 Pittsburgh Pirates NHL 44 18 3 21 32
1928-29 29 Pittsburgh Pirates NHL 44 9 3 12 22
1929-30 30 Pittsburgh Pirates NHL 41 13 11 24 36
1930-31 31 Philadelphia Quakers NHL 44 17 6 23 42

Old
10-10-2010, 07:48 PM
jarek

Quote:
All I'm saying is they are not in my team's plans. Allison is too slow for what I want, has limited playoff experience and I have indeed drafted him before, so he was struck off of a pretty deep list of centers that he didn't stand above. I knew he'd go before my 6th or 7th pick, which would be the earliest I'd nab him even if I wanted to, given other priorities. I've also uncovered a couple of off-the-board centers I'm considering.

Stumpel, another natural center, has two great assist total seasons but has never really impressed me. He is ideally a Double-A Draft quality guy imo and as such I nominated him to be on the AA-all-star Nuggets squad, and other GMs concurred. I'm not saying he is a bad pick now, just not a great one given other options. I don't even want to argue that, but that is what I was thinking when I decided he wouldn't be in my team's plans this draft.

Briere is a center drafted so far that made me pause because I hadn't considered him, but... given his four great postseasons, 87 pts in 86 NHL playoff games, including leading scorers to the Stanley Cup Finals... I should have had the injury-prone little guy at least on my extra skater shortlist.

The interesting picks simply mean that. I'm intrigued and they get me thinking, wondering, wanting more info, needing more consideration, before I could say where I'd expect them to go.
Geez man, you must have ridiculously high standards to talk about some of these guys like they are nothing more than good extra skaters here.

jarek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:59 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Geez man, you must have ridiculously high standards to talk about some of these guys like they are nothing more than good extra skaters here.
I have put a lot of hours into research and have thought long and hard about my options and plans and have made decisions along the way. For my team in this draft. As I stated: "ALL I'M SAYING is that he's not in my team's plans."

The extra skater reference was regarding Briere, and I said "at least" and I was talking about MY team (not high standards, instead team strategy and kind of players, etc). I mentioned he is injury prone, five times missing significant parts of seasons due to injury (I already have an injury-prone player I need to cover for in Volchenkov). Briere gets pushed around and, as I said, I've options at center. He has had one significant goal scoring season and one significant assist season. He could be a starter on someone's team. I mentioned extra skater because he isn't an ideal 3rd or 4th liner but he would be great to have come the playoffs.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
jarek

Quote:
I have put a lot of hours into research and have thought long and hard about my options and plans and have made decisions along the way. For my team in this draft. As I stated: "ALL I'M SAYING is that he's not in my team's plans."

The extra skater reference was regarding Briere, and I said "at least" and I was talking about MY team (not high standards, instead team strategy and kind of players, etc). I mentioned he is injury prone, five times missing significant parts of seasons due to injury (I already have an injury-prone player I need to cover for in Volchenkov). Briere gets pushed around and, as I said, I've options at center. He has had one significant goal scoring season and one significant assist season. He could be a starter on someone's team. I mentioned extra skater because he isn't an ideal 3rd or 4th liner but he would be great to have come the playoffs.
All good points. I didn't mean my comment to be a criticism of you, by the way.

jarek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:00 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Milks was a guy I was considering in a few rounds, 2 top 10s in goals is impressive considering he basically did it by himself.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
seventieslord

Yeah, Milks is pretty good. I'd like to see more about him supporting what kind of player he was.

Actually, James Milks is the president of SIHR and that is why Hib Milks' profile is on the login screen when you go to enter the stats database. Hib is an old relative of James, I can't quite recall if he was a great uncle, or great great uncle, or what, but he has done a lot of research on him and said that his love of booze and partying eventually did him in.

If he just stuck to Milks he'd have good, strong bones and probably a longer, more durable career

Old
10-10-2010, 11:50 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

1. I'm surprised to see Milks described with intangibles: aggressive, likes to bump, excellent pokechecking. Source?

2. I'm not sure which is more eye boggling, tying the team lead in scoring with a mere 9 goals in 44 games (in 28-29)!!, or scoring a team high 17 goals yet the team won only 4 of 44 games (in 30-31)!!

3. There is a carbonated soft drink here in South Korea called Milkis. Bleh!

Old
10-11-2010, 08:14 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

With our 5th pick the Jets are proud to select Geoff Sanderson, Left Wing.

Sanderson is a 6-time 30 goal scorer who had a 15 year NHL career and is probbaly 1 of the top players in NHL history to hail from the territories or Atlantic Canada.

More on Sanderson can be found at the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=11445

Last edited by tony d: 10-11-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old
10-11-2010, 08:17 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
With our 5th pick the Jets are proud to select Geoff Sanderson, Right Wing.
He played LEFT wing.

Old
10-11-2010, 08:26 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Quote:
He played LEFT wing.
Thanks it's been changed.