HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The 2010 AAA Draft (rosters, picks, discussion, etc.)

Old
10-13-2010, 03:18 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
OK, I see what you mean.

Player PPP/PGF
Mario Lemieux 73%
Wayne Gretzky 75%
Phil Esposito 67%
Kent Nilsson 71%
Joe Sakic 66%
Marcel Dionne 65%
Guy Chouinard 64%
Rene Robert 60%
Mike Bossy 70%
Wow, how did I get it so wrong on Chouinard?

I looked at his adjusted ESGF on your adjusted +/- chart, compared it to his actual ESGF, used that same adjustment factor to calculate adjusted PPGF, then took adjusted PPP over adjusted PPGF. I expected I could be off by a bit, but not 8%!

Did I go wrong somewhere, or is there a data error?

For that matter, a certain player from the Gretzky trade seems to adjust upwards when a player from his era should almost certainly adjust downwards. Any idea what may be causing this?

Quote:
From what I've seen, guys who play the point tend to score a little lower on this (Rene Robert). Did Chouinard play the point? Atlanta/Calgary definitely had a forward playing the point, from the breakdown of players on the ice, but I'm not sure I've ever heard who it was.
He was definitely on the point. I read this in a scouting report just last night. This explains why Paul Reinhart had all those PPGF that one year, and the other defensemen on the team had less than 10 combined. We always knew of that anomaly, but now we know who caused it.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Wow, how did I get it so wrong on Chouinard?

I looked at his adjusted ESGF on your adjusted +/- chart, compared it to his actual ESGF, used that same adjustment factor to calculate adjusted PPGF, then took adjusted PPP over adjusted PPGF. I expected I could be off by a bit, but not 8%!

Did I go wrong somewhere, or is there a data error?

For that matter, a certain player from the Gretzky trade seems to adjust upwards when a player from his era should almost certainly adjust downwards. Any idea what may be causing this?

He was definitely on the point. I read this in a scouting report just last night. This explains why Paul Reinhart had all those PPGF that one year, and the other defensemen on the team had less than 10 combined. We always knew of that anomaly, but now we know who caused it.
Good to know Chouinard was on the point. Although I expect he played up front sometimes too, if only because the absolute best PP defencemen max out at 60% (Al MacInnis with 61%).

Re: your calculations. For one, I wasn't using adjusted numbers, although that shouldn't make a big difference. Also, I calculated those adjusted numbers by normalizing PP points to league PP scoring level and ES points to league ES scoring level. That's definitely not standard practice, so I can understand why you might have been confused. It means you can't use the ES adjustment to adjust the PP numbers.

You mentioned a player from the Gretzky trade... I adjust ES scoring to a league scoring level of 200 ES goals per team. This is about the scoring level of the late 80s and early 90s, (yes, even 1993). Some seasons were a little under that. I probably should use a lower scoring level.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:39 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
F Tony Gingras

(top right)

2x Stanley Cup Champion
4 goals in 5 games(goals in one game were omitted) in 1902 challenge series when the Vics won the Stanley cup
7 goals in 16 career Stanley Cup games
First Quebec-born player to win a Stanley Cup

Quote:
Tony Gingras, who was a right wing, was a top scorer for the Winnipeg Victorias. In 1901, the Vics won the Stanley Cup and the national championship against the Montreal Shamrocks in a best of three series. He was also with the Victorias when they won the cup in 1902 by defeating the Toronto Wellingtons.

Gingras was an exceedingly agile player. The enthusiasm generated by this French-speaking Metis is believed to have led to the creation of the Montreal Canadiens. He was also credited with an innovative new hockey stick of a much more modern design.

According to newspapers of the time, who truly worshiped him because he was endowed with an extraordinary skill, a force Herculean and phenomenal flexibility.
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...kWtk1OO_UAiC8Q

Quote:
Canadian hockey evolved from those sports. It was first developed in Nova Scotia in the 19th century, and was played in Montreal and Ottawa in 1875 and 1880. The immigrants to Canada who moved West in the late 19th century took the popular game along with them, and it was being played in Winnipeg and Victoria by 1890. Given the multicultural roots of hockey, it is not surprising that one of Canada's greatest players at the turn of the 20th century was a Métis from St. Boniface, Antoine "Tony" Gingras.

the legendary "Tony"
Quote:
The first French Canadian to actually be on a Stanley Cup winning team was Antoine "Tony" Gingras of the Winnipeg Victorias in 1901. Born in St. Bonifice, Manitoba, Gingras played in the Cup series when Winnipeg beat the Shamrocks in Montreal.
http://hockeyheritage.org/hockeyhistory.php

Quote:
Pushing hard for the tying goal, Winnipeg's Tony Gingras elbowed his way past Montreal's Bob MacDougall...
http://books.google.com/books?id=uff...ingras&f=false

Quote:
Winnipeg rookie sensation Tony Gingras zipped in the opening goal...
http://books.google.com/books?id=vxP...=0CCcQ6AEwADgK

Quote:
...along with his matinee idol left winger Tony Gingras
http://books.google.com/books?id=3Qe...=0CEIQ6AEwBjgK

Quote:
Gingras was a star on the Winnipeg team that challenged for Stanley Cups in the late 1800's and early 1900's, winning the Cup in 1901. Though Dan Bain is a name somewhat well-known to history buffs, Gingras has been long forgotten it seems. But the fiery rover was in all likelihood just as valuable to those Winnipeg teams as Bain was. He was known as one of the games greatest stickhandlers, and scored seven goals in 16 Stanley Cup games.
Quote:
GHL's MVP - Tony Gingras

1901-02 - Montreal AAA - The Winnipeg Victorias, described as "rugged westerners," lost the Stanley Cup to Montreal in 1902, but not to the Shamrocks. The AAA, nicknamed the Winged Wheelers, won 2 games to 1. Interestingly, game 2, played on a Saturday night, had to be halted as midnight was struck. Hockey was not yet the official religion of Quebec, so the game was stopped to observe the day of rest.
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...cup-years.html

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 10-13-2010 at 10:18 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:45 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
nice work.

Old
10-14-2010, 08:03 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

London listpicks defenseman Bob Trapp

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
tony d
The man

Johnstown continues its run of selecting defensemen by picking Eddie Wares.

Wares was an adaptable player spending time at both defense and right wing during his career. The war effort robbed him of 3 seasons but he was a key player on his teams.

More on Wares can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14638

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:38 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Queen's University select two-way right winger Wildor Larochelle, the longstanding Hab who scored key goals in two NHL championships, in '30 he scored the lone goal in a 1-0 edging of Chicago and the next season he scored a goal as the Canadiens defended the cup against the Blackhawks in the final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOH
... a fine goal scorer and checker who played nearly 500 games in the NHL during the 1920s and '30s. He spent the majority of his career with the Montreal Canadiens where he won two Stanley Cups . Larochelle's timely scoring helped the Canadiens win consecutive Stanley Cups in 1930 and 1931. In 1931-32, he scored a career high 18 goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our History
Tough and strong... aggressive and with a nose for the net,... successfully holding his own against bigger, heavier opponents.

Old
10-14-2010, 09:13 AM
markrander87

Winnipeg Selects F Jim Mcfadden

Stanley Cup Champion

All-Star Games

1950 NHL

1947-48 NHL Calder Memorial Trophy

Goals

1947-48 NHL 24 (9)
1952-53 NHL 23 (6)

1952-53 NHL 44 (10)

markrander87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:14 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

The Tigers draft Joe Linder.

* described by contemporaries and those who have made a study of the game as the “first great American-born hockey player.”
* A powerful raw-boned, virtually irresistible skater, playmaker, and team leader
* participated in and starred in hockey, baseball and football, even captaining all three sports every year of his career.
* In 1904, as a high school senior, he was selected by Doc Gibson to play on the Portage Lake pro hockey team.
* In 1905-1911, he played amateur hockey with the Hancock Hockey Club, then the Pittsburgh Shamrock Hockey Club, Duluth Curling Club, and then the Duluth Hockey Club.
* From 1912-20, he played with the Duluth Senior teams in the new American Amateur Hockey Association.
* He was Captain of the 1914 Duluth team when on March 7th, 1914 they defeated the famous Victoria's of Winnipeg for the first victory of an American team over the Canadian Champs.
* A few years before his death, he was honored in the February, 1941 issue of Esquire when, in a review of the American and Canadian hockey scene it was stated that "any list of the 30 best hockey players the whole world has had, would have to include the American-born Linder."
* He was inducted into the US Hockey Hall of Fame in 1975.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:06 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Johnstown continues its run of selecting defensemen by picking Eddie Wares.

Wares was an adaptable player spending time at both defense and right wing during his career. The war effort robbed him of 3 seasons but he was a key player on his teams.

More on Wares can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14638

I did a lot of research on Wares because he was listed as a multi-positional player (and I researched all multi-positional guys to make sure I knew who the true defense scoring leaders were every season), but I concluded that he never played defense for a season. He might have just filled in a game here and there, like Syd Howe, Milt Schmidt, or Georges Mantha.

So he should definitely be a RW for you, or a spare with the ability to play RW and some spot duty on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni Mania View Post
The Tigers draft Joe Linder.

* described by contemporaries and those who have made a study of the game as the “first great American-born hockey player.”
* A powerful raw-boned, virtually irresistible skater, playmaker, and team leader
* participated in and starred in hockey, baseball and football, even captaining all three sports every year of his career.
* In 1904, as a high school senior, he was selected by Doc Gibson to play on the Portage Lake pro hockey team.
* In 1905-1911, he played amateur hockey with the Hancock Hockey Club, then the Pittsburgh Shamrock Hockey Club, Duluth Curling Club, and then the Duluth Hockey Club.
* From 1912-20, he played with the Duluth Senior teams in the new American Amateur Hockey Association.
* He was Captain of the 1914 Duluth team when on March 7th, 1914 they defeated the famous Victoria's of Winnipeg for the first victory of an American team over the Canadian Champs.
* A few years before his death, he was honored in the February, 1941 issue of Esquire when, in a review of the American and Canadian hockey scene it was stated that "any list of the 30 best hockey players the whole world has had, would have to include the American-born Linder."
* He was inducted into the US Hockey Hall of Fame in 1975.
What position did he play?

Old
10-14-2010, 10:11 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
What position did he play?
The US HHOF has him listed as F/D.

http://www.usahockey.com/ushhof/defa...tailedNews=yes

If ZM could find info on which skating position he played the most, it'd be great. Otherwise one can assume he did what many did back then: play defense only when older and slower.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Winnipeg Selects F Jim Mcfadden

Stanley Cup Champion

All-Star Games

1950 NHL

1947-48 NHL Calder Memorial Trophy

Goals

1947-48 NHL 24 (9)
1952-53 NHL 23 (6)

1952-53 NHL 44 (10)
Also has an 11th place finish in points.

Here are a bunch of quotes just to try and get a better idea of how McFadden plays. Included is evidence that he is also capable of playing the wing, and appears to have done so in his excellent 52-53 season.

Support for playing the wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Sep 29, 1953
Coach Sid Abel has coupled two youngsters-xxx, center, and xxx, right wing-with the veteran left winger, Jim McFadden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Oct 17, 1953
Jim McFadden (left), Hawks left wing, and Lee Fogolin (behind goal), defense man , help Al Rollins, goalie, clear puck (arrow) in first period of last night…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Sep 25, 1953
One new line to be seen in the Sudbury game will include Jim McFadden left winger and Hawks high scorer last season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen - Jan 5, 1953
Gus Bodnar, Chicago center, opened the scoring at 8:43 after linemates Jimmy Peters and Jim McFadden set him up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times - Nov 10, 1952
Wingers Jimmy McFadden and Jim Peters assisted.
Skills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen - Apr 4, 1953
That’s when the Hawks’ Jim McFadden came swooping in on the nervous young goalie and let go with a screaming blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times - Mar 8, 1948
The Wings' best chances in this frame were on breakaway dashes by xxx, Jim McFadden and Lindsay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Oct 24, 1949
The Chicago lead was reduced to 3 to 2 when Detroit's Red Kelly passed to Jim McFadden, who rifled a 15 footer into the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette - Feb 16, 1953
But the only one who could penetrate Terry Sawchuck was Jim Mcfadden who made a whirling shot of Sid Abels face-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Oct 10, 1952
The goal came on a long pass from Jim McFadden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo Blade - Oct 6, 1948
xxx pushed a shot past Bower on a fine double assist by Kelly and Jim Mcfadden the latter two luring Bower out of position to make shot possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Oct 30, 1949
A crowd of 12711 saw the Canadiens suffer their third straight shutout xxx goal came on a pass from far to the left by Jim McFadden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Apr 25, 1953
Jim McFadden Black Hawk wingman was nosed out by one point by Montreai's Bert Olmstead for a second team spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen - Jan 27, 1948
Rookie Jim McFadden of Detroit, who’s been burning up the ice for many weeks, scored two goals…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford Courant - Nov 21, 1948
Jim McFadden led the way with a goal and two assists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen - Aug 20, 1951
Jim McFadden made it 2-0 with a smash which xxx could not handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundington Daily News - Mar 30, 1948
Jack Stewart, Detroit’s great defenseman, kept the Wings in the game when he blasted home the Wings’ final marker from the blueline after taking a pass out from Jim McFadden near the boards.

Some physicality and toughness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reading Eagle - Dec 4, 1952
Jim McFadden represented the Hawks in a second period “main bout” with Bob Armstrong…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune - Nov 17, 1952
Hawks xxx takes puck as Teammate Jim McFadden checks Montreal's Floyd Curry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette - Oct 23, 1953
It was a moderately rough game with double penalties assessed twice – to Gadsby and MacKay for roughing and to Jim McFadden and Tom Johnson for high-sticking.
Based on the wording I'm assuming a stick swinging incident.

I found a picture captioned as a “violent collision” between Turk Broda and Jim McFadden in Sunday Morning Star - Feb 6, 1949 - I'm not really sure what this represents, but at the very least McFadden must have been going hard after the puck to end up in a collision with a goalie.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Ilkka Sinisalo, RW

Quote:
An exceptional skater, Sinisalo was an unheralded two way winger. He had great hockey sense and vision which made him a regular on both the power play and penalty kill. He was a good compliment to the immovable Tim Kerr on Flyers power plays. Sinisalo would use his one step quickness to get into passing lanes, often acting as a diversion while Kerr got into position in front of the net. He also possessed deadly wrist and backhand shots. On the penalty kill Sinisalo's speed and anticipation made him a regular. At regular strength Sinisalo was equally strong at both ends of the ice. He ranks high on the Flyers all time +/- leader list.
Source

Quote:
Can you name the Flyers' all-time leading goal scorer among European players? Here's a hint: He also ranks fourth all-time in goal scoring among his countrymen who have played in the NHL. He is also a member of his country's hockey Hall of Fame.

The answer: Ilkka Sinisalo. The smooth-skating Finn was one of the Flyers' unsung heroes of the 1980s; a steady, reliable performer who could be used in all game situations.
Quote:
"Ilkka was the first European forward with the Flyers that really fit in well. He had fantastic scoring ability, especially on breakaways," says ex-teammate Propp. "He played great two-way hockey and had a great sense of humor which he shared in the locker room. Ilkka's greatest assets were his speed and his shooting percentage. If he had an open shot, he rarely missed."
Quote:
"With Ilkka, all I had to do was get him a lead pass or lay it out to him. I knew he would then beat his man and the puck would be in the back of the net," linemate Peter Zezel told author Stan Fischler in Greatest Players and Moments.
Source

Last edited by Nalyd Psycho: 10-14-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:33 AM
seventieslord

If you ignore 1990 and 1991 after the best players left the soviet league, and look for members of the Soviet League's first all-star team going all the way back through 1966, you will find that there are a total of three players not selected and only one of them is a defenseman.

Yevgeny Paladiev, D

Paladiev was a first team all-star in 1970, after being a 3rd team all-star in 1969. Not much info exists on him, but he was a pretty good offensive player based on his domestic and international stats, and he was described as a fearless shot blocker too. Paladiev only played 31 games in major tournaments for the National team, but 22 of them were against Canada, and he's 16th all-time in this Regard.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:39 AM
seventieslord

what percentage of a team's penalties does a player have to kill in his career for him to reasonably be called "a regular on the penalty kill"?

the reason I ask is Sinisalo killed 15% of his team's penalties and it's kind of a stretch to call that regular. But what would the cutoff be?

Old
10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
seventieslord

Please welcome your 2010 Regina Pat Canadians to the AAA Playoffs.

1939 or earlier - Carson, Ruttan
1940 to 1965 - Juzda
1966 to 1979 - Paladiev
1980 to 1993 - Mellanby, Craven, Zezel
1994 to 2010 - Allison

Old
10-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Toledo selects D Pavel Kubina

1999 World Championship Gold Medal
2001 World Championship Gold Medal
1st in goals amongst defenceman 2004
2004 Stanley Cup Champion
Played in 2004 All-Star Game
2005 World Championship Gold Medal
2006 Olympic Bronze Medal

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
The talented rearguard recorded 21 points in 68 games for Lightning in 1998-99. He ranked first among NHL rookies in average ice time per game (22:47) and third in hits (156). Following the regular season he helped the Czech Republic win the gold medal at the World Championships in Norway and finished second among defencemen with eight points.

Kubina continued his improved play in 1999-00 by leading the Lightning in power-play goals and providing a physical presence on the blueline. He set a personal high with eleven goals in 2000-01 to rank fifth on the Lightning and for the second time in his career represented the Czech Republic at the World Championships.

In 2001-02, Kubina established a career high in assists with 23 and points with 34 before representing his country in February at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City and later that spring at the World Championship. After coming off a career year in points, Kubina's offensive numbers dipped in 2002-03, however he remained one of the team's most durable players as the Lightning entered the post season for the first time since the 1995-96 season.

Coming off a second round elimination in the 2003 playoffs, Kubina and the Lightning rebounded in 2003-04 capturing their first Stanley Cup title in franchise history.

In the fall of 2004, Kubina represented his homeland at the World Cup of Hockey and in the spring of 2005 captured Gold at the World Championship.

Last edited by Hedberg: 10-14-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
London listpicks defenseman Bob Trapp
3x Western All-Star and a tough physical player

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Toledo selects D Pavel Kubina
Someone had to do it.

I back this pick. He's a little hurt by modern bias, along with a couple other guys I'm considering. But the dude has averaged 22.5 minutes a game in his career. the downside is that it's been predominantly for non-playoff teams.

he doesn't have a major weakness. he's at least average in every area. And he's got massive size.

As for Trapp - dreak, where did you hear he was tough/physical? I like the guy and I think his ASTs with Eddie Shore are more than enough to support his greatness at this point, but I thought he was popular more due to offense than anything else. He was a tough one to find info on.

Old
10-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
As for Trapp - dreak, where did you hear he was tough/physical? I like the guy and I think his ASTs with Eddie Shore are more than enough to support his greatness at this point, but I thought he was popular more due to offense than anything else. He was a tough one to find info on.
"provided toughness in spades" from Legends of Hockey

In 1923, he was 6th in scoring among defensemen, but was still a 1st all-star.... obviously he provided something other than just offense.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
"provided toughness in spades" from Legends of Hockey

In 1923, he was 6th in scoring among defensemen, but was still a 1st all-star.... obviously he provided something other than just offense.
interesting... sounds underrated, actually.

I had him twice before and he didn't get much love, so I was staying away this time, but i wish I had taken him.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
interesting... sounds underrated, actually.

I had him twice before and he didn't get much love, so I was staying away this time, but i wish I had taken him.
Hopefully, I'm able to dig up some info.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Since Dreak isn't posting his profile, I'll post one.

Bob Trapp, D

-5'10", 170 lbs: Much larger than average in the 1920s.

In 2 years in the NHL (after his WHL prime):

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
In Chicago Trapp played 44 games and managed 4 goals and 2 assists, good for second on the team in scoring from the defense. He also provided toughness in spades, delivering 92 penalty minutes, just one minute off the team lead. Trapps star dimmed in his second season when he was unable to score and managed just 2 assists and 37 penalty minutes.
In the WHL/WCHL:

-2 x First Team All-Star (1923, 1926)
-Second Team All-Star (1922)

-Points among defensemen – 6th(1922), 4th(1923), 7th(1924), 4th(1925), 1st(1926)

Goals AD – 8th(1922), 8th(1923), 5th(1924), 8th(1925), 6th(1926)
Assists AD – 3rd(1922), 4th(1923), 4th(1924), 2nd(1925), 1st(1926)

Notice that he was a 1st Team All Star in 1923, while only finishing 6th in points and a 2nd Team in 1922, while only finishing 7th. He certainly wasn't getting on the All-Star teams for just his offense. That, plus the quote about his physical play in his 2 seasons in the NHL indicate that he was likely a physical, defensive force in his own zone.

This trade shows how highly regarded he was in the WHL:
Quote:
Traded to Portland (WHL) by Edmonton (WHL) with Joe McCormick for Eddie Shore and Art Gagne, October 7, 1925.
seventieslord's analysis of Trapp's competition in the WHL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord
2nd team (WCHL 1922)
Trapp was behind Red Dutton and Joe Simpson for first team honours. Both HHOFers. No info exists as to who was regarded higher between Trapp and 2nd team XXX. In the NHL, Cameron, Cleghorn, Boucher, and Gerard were certainly better. A couple other are debatable. (Reise, Coutu, for example) Trapp was the 7th-10th-best defenseman in hockey.

1st team (WCHL 1923)
Trapp apparently made the 1st team along with Gardiner and Simpson - both HHOFers. No info exists as to who was regarded higher. In the NHL, Boucher, Cleghorn, Cameron, Gerard, and possibly Reise and Corbeau were better. Trapp was the 5th-9th-best defenseman in hockey.

1st team (WHL 1926)
Trapp made the 1st all-star team along with Eddie Shore. Shore was likely regarded higher. In the NHL, Day, Conacher, Clancy, Boucher, Hitchman, & Cleghorn were likely better. Leduc may have been. Trapp was the 8th-9th-best defenseman in hockey.

For these three seasons, Trapp was somewhere between the 5th and 10th-best defenseman in hockey.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 10-21-2010 at 09:09 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Hopefully, I'm able to dig up some info.
I'll add it to his profile if you do. Sorry if you wanted to make the profile for him. But at this point, I've made so many of them that I can crank them out in 5-10 minutes tops, especially when you do most of the research for it.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'll add it to his profile if you do. Sorry if you wanted to make the profile for him. But at this point, I've made so many of them that I can crank them out in 5-10 minutes tops, especially when you do most of the research for it.
Yeah, I can fire 'em off in about 10 minutes each.... except my Bowie bio.

You can do them all if you want though.... I'll keep working on Dubbie!