HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabner claimed by NYI

Old
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Tallon wants players to earn roster spots. There is no excuse for poor pre-season play.
********. If it's between losing a player for nothing and giving him a regular season tryout of sorts and giving a little leeway to your own ideals, I'd go with the latter. And Tallon should have done that, here. The fact that he had to go through waivers to be sent down should have changed his thought process. There was zero harm in seeing how he would do in the regular season. If he couldn't up his game there, that is when you waive him.

It was a stupid move.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
So Olesz has earned a roster spot?

What about Kulikov with a -3. Or McCabe with a -4 and 0 pts, and so on and so forth?

Thats faulty logic, just because he performed poorly doesnt mean you dump him completely. It was a stupid move, stop defending it. We could have atleast kept him in the franchise somehow, or just traded him for a pick or a bag of pucks. Better than giving him to the islanders and paying some of his salary.

Not to mention, that doesn't even teach accountability. Now he just gets to go to the Islanders and be lazy on another team. Teaching accountability would be benching him or playing him on the 4th line, and making him earn his way back up.
Your logic is terrible. Kulikov and McCabe's preseason means little in the scheme of things. Kulikov had an outstanding year as an 18 year old and McCabe has a whole career. I can't believe you're even saying that.

Trade him for what? A mid round pick that is pretty much useless. Teaching accountability? Do you understand anything? This is a message to the entire franchise, not Grabner who they obviously are not very high on.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Nucks fans say he always has a bad pre-season, but he only played 20 games last season in the NHL, so I'm just not sure what to think about this guy. I'm disappointed he was picked up and didn't make Rochester, but he didn't earn a spot, and did little to nothing to impress. He started on the first line against the Lightning, likely to prove he's got what it takes, and disappeared, from what I've heard.

I hope he does well on the Island, but he simply didn't make this team, the Panthers, but he is still young.

So far as those who bring up Olesz, this is new management, he has a contract already, and the team still has two cuts to make. No one will pick him up with his contract, but if friggin NYI needs players so bad, would be nice if we could ship his ass there.

10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
********. If it's between losing a player for nothing and giving him a regular season tryout of sorts and giving a little leeway to your own ideals, I'd go with the latter. And Tallon should have done that, here. The fact that he had to go through waivers to be sent down should have changed his thought process. There was zero harm in seeing how he would do in the regular season. If he couldn't up his game there, that is when you waive him.

It was a stupid move.
Grabner would have to play on the fourth line where he would be useless and then everyone would complain that he didn't have good linemates. For once we have players being held accountable for their crappy play and everyone is up in arms!

Old
10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Your logic is terrible. Kulikov and McCabe's preseason means little in the scheme of things. Kulikov had an outstanding year as an 18 year old and McCabe has a whole career. I can't believe you're even saying that.

Trade him for what? A mid round pick that is pretty much useless. Teaching accountability? Do you understand anything? This is a message to the entire franchise, not Grabner who they obviously are not very high on.
I completely understand sending a message and instilling accountability with this franchise, but why even acquire said player. It appears that due diligence prior to Ballard trade may not have been pursued to the fullest extent.

Sidebar: At the time and even now with hindsight, I would've rather done Ballard for Schroeder.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Tranq

He didnt make the team because Santorelli outplayed him otherwise I think he would have a gotten a shot.

Tranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
So Olesz has earned a roster spot?

What about Kulikov with a -3. Or McCabe with a -4 and 0 pts, and so on and so forth?

Thats faulty logic, just because he performed poorly doesnt mean you dump him completely. It was a stupid move, stop defending it. We could have atleast kept him in the franchise somehow, or just traded him for a pick or a bag of pucks. Better than giving him to the islanders and paying some of his salary.

Not to mention, that doesn't even teach accountability. Now he just gets to go to the Islanders and be lazy on another team. Teaching accountability would be benching him or playing him on the 4th line, and making him earn his way back up.
Seriously? You bring up Kulikov and McCabe? Please, and I just touched on Olesz.

Fine, he can be "lazy" elsewhere, OK. He didn't make the club, he HAD to pass through waivers in order to get to Rochester, and that's where he should have started the season. There are others who've looked better.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Grabner would have to play on the fourth line where he would be useless and then everyone would complain that he didn't have good linemates. For once we have players being held accountable for their crappy play and everyone is up in arms!
You mean like Frolik did the first 20 games of his rookie season. How did that turn out?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post

It was a stupid move.
We've all demanded accountability, and now that some prospect who was traded away, didn't make this clubs of all clubs, disappeared when given a chance to make it was claimed off waivers, we all scream stupidity. Well, we can only carry 23 players and still have 2 cuts to make, look at the roster and give me (realistically) 3 players who should have been moved rather than Grabner just so we can keep him on the team.

Old
10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Erick

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
This guy doesn't make $3 Million a season. There is no reason for us to have to waive him, he could have sat on the roster and maybe sitting in a press box would have motivated him. This WILL bite us in the ass.

The fact that we traded for him (I really thought he was the key to the trade and NOT the 1st rounder), and then we end up losing him before he plays a single game for us is just embarrassing. Around the league it won't be anything because everyone is used to us looking like a bunch of idiots. This is really poor asset management. I understand Tallon wanted to cut him loose but I would have rather given him a better opportunity to play with better players like Weiss and Booth.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
You mean like Frolik did the first 20 games of his rookie season. How did that turn out?
You mean how Frolik was 18 and Grabner is 23?

Old
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
skywarp75

pretty mind boggling. a franchise short on talent throwing away some speed & scoring. im sure his camp sucked, but that is just poor asset management.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
pretty mind boggling. a franchise short on talent throwing away some speed & scoring. im sure his camp sucked, but that is just poor asset management.
Yup. Exactly.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
If Santorelli didn't perform like he did this preseason, then this doesn't even happen. He earned a spot on the roster. Grabner didn't. I'm pissed that he's gone, but what can you do? Move on.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

While I thought this was stupid just days ago, looking now, I don't think so at all. Who should be sent down to make room for a guy to ride the bench ALL YEAR??? And don't give me Olesz, yes, I'd love to see the guy moved, but it ain't gonna happen and that contract isn't any of the current regime's fault! They aren't going to pay him that salary to play in Rochester, or half of it to play elsewhere off re-entries, and he's scored more than Grabner in the NHL.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
This guy doesn't make $3 Million a season. There is no reason for us to have to waive him, he could have sat on the roster and maybe sitting in a press box would have motivated him. This WILL bite us in the ass.
Exactly right. Olesz certainly would have went unclaimed because of his contract and also likely would have cleared on re-call waivers if you wanted him back and even if he was claimed it would have been addition by subtraction. The subtraction being 50% of his contract.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Frolik is different, he was already a great 2-way player and worked very hard. Grabner is not as good as a two-way player as frolik was at first nor does grabner have the same package as frolik. Frolik was further in his devolpment when he started with the panthers than grabner. In grabners 20 games with the vancouver , he put up like 3-4 goals and 11 points in 20 games, which was most probably due to his linemates , and also most of his goals were scored in one game.
and as mentionned above frolik was 18 when he cracked the line up , grabner is 23 and still hasnt shown he belongs on a full time nhl roster.

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
You mean how Frolik was 18 and Grabner is 23?
Frolik, at 18, on paper, would have been more of a setback in his development playing on the fourth line and/or on the bench than Grabner at 23. Grabner might have actually learned how to be a two-way player in that role.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Tallon's comments:

Quote:
Dale Tallon: Michael Grabner needed to earn spot on Fla Panthers ... Showed nothing and was waived

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
No surprise. Oh well.. At least we got Olesz!!

What about Reinprect? Has done nothing. Gone from 2nd line center to 4th line LW. Has no potential whatsoever. With talent like Grabner you bench em not give them away if there not producing in pre-season!!!!!

This BS about earning a roster spot makes me sick. What did half the roster do to earn there spots during pre season? Other than the 1rst line, Garrison and few others. What about Olesz, Reinprect

Last edited by Mogo: 10-05-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Erick

It's a shame GR can't write his true feelings about this move.

When GR found out Grabner would be put on waivers if he didn't make the team, he put "welcome to Florida, Grabner" on his live chat.

I bet even the team writers are laughing at the team, right now.

People keep talking about "earning a roster spot;" the hell with that. All offseason long we've been talking about REBUILDING. You REBUILD with young players that have potential. I don't care how they got Grabner a roster spot; anything but this. Certain players that have no future on this team could have been traded to make room for him.

We are more than likely not making the playoffs this year. You do not just put players like Grabner on waivers and let some other team get him for nothing when you're REBUILDING.

I bet Grabner does well for the Islanders. The Islanders aren't BS'ing their fans pretending there's a legit shot at a playoff berth. Grabner will probably be given a top 6 spot, and produce, while we spend another year watching average veteran forwards try to get us an 8th seed.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

this is very disappointing, but people need to relax, the sky is not falling. i still trust in DT and his plan.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post

When GR found out Grabner would be put on waivers if he didn't make the team, he put "welcome to Florida, Grabner" on his live chat.

People keep talking about "earning a roster spot;" the hell with that. All offseason long we've been talking about REBUILDING. You REBUILD with young players that have potential. I don't care how they got Grabner a roster spot; anything but this. Certain players that have no future on this team could have been traded to make room for him.

We are more than likely not making the playoffs this year. You do not just put players like Grabner on waivers and let some other team get him for nothing when you're REBUILDING.

I bet Grabner does well for the Islanders. The Islanders aren't BS'ing their fans pretending there's a legit shot at a playoff berth. Grabner will probably be given a top 6 spot, and produce, while we spend another year watching average veteran forwards try to get us an 8th seed.
Maybe they don't see the potential. He is 23, there is only so much time you can ride on potential, Especially since his game is one dimensional. They see a lot more of him than any of us and he really hasn't done anything. Earning a roster spot on this team is about as easy as it gets. He did NOTHING.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
No surprise. Oh well.. At least we got Olesz!!

What about Reinprect? Has done nothing. Gone from 2nd line center to 4th line LW. Has no potential whatsoever. With talent like Grabner you bench em not give them away if there not producing in pre-season!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Tallon's comments:
Quote:
Dale Tallon: Michael Grabner needed to earn spot on Fla Panthers ... Showed nothing and was waived
Well, there ya go! I'm going to take that for what it's worth and believe that he's spoken to both Olesz and Reino. I'm sure both will be moved ASAP.

Sorry Erick, we are rebuilding, but you still have to earn a spot.

(Gizmo, do you have a link? That's a pretty in your face comment!)