HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabner claimed by NYI

Old
10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
No surprise. Oh well.. At least we got Olesz!!

What about Reinprect? Has done nothing. Gone from 2nd line center to 4th line LW. Has no potential whatsoever. With talent like Grabner you bench em not give them away if there not producing in pre-season!!!!!
Reino is a much better player than Grabner. Reino is a solid 3rd line center with a relatively solid career who has been pushed down the depth chart because people have earned their spots. Matthias and Santo deserve their spots.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
FlaPanthers7

I don't think anyone needs to relax here. This kid was touted as a future top 6 forward after the trade and those were the expectations. So the fans have a right to be pissed off when the organization trades a popular player (Ballard) for a guy they tout as having top 6 forward potential, then waives him after PRE-SEASON.

To keep things in perspective, only 1 game did the Panthers start what would be closest to their opening day roster. So this kid comes to a new team, a new system, etc., and after a couple of pre-season games he's worthless? BS on Tallon for that. I said exactly what itchy Matthias said - let him ride the pine and play on the 4th line to send a message and see if it pushes him. You just lost a 23 year old with elite speed & a lot of talent for nothing. Stupid, stupid, stupid move. Olesz should be waived too, if anything to maintain credibility. Or Reinprecht for that matter, who is another guy touted as our new #2 centerman and is now centering the 4th line. The guy doesn't produce and Grabner could have given you the same scoring results for less $$$. It's hypocritical of the organization and just more proof that they'll keep putting turds out on the ice and try to sell it as diamonds.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Maybe they don't see the potential. He is 23, there is only so much time you can ride on potential, Especially since his game is one dimensional. They see a lot more of him than any of us and he really hasn't done anything. Earning a roster spot on this team is about as easy as it gets. He did NOTHING.
They traded for him just 4 months ago. Most people thought he was, at least, a bigger part of the deal than Bernier was. In terms of goal-scoring potential, he has more potential than our 1st round pick (Howden).

How did they lose faith in him so quickly? A handful of preseason games??? Really?

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:19 PM
panthertod

How can this be any clearer... Santorelli earned it, Grabner didn't.

If he would have stayed up and he didn't score you'd complain... from his history it wouldn't be suprising to see him in the AHL again, and BTW, he didn't tear it up down there either.

panthertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I don't think anyone needs to relax here. This kid was touted as a future top 6 forward after the trade and those were the expectations. So the fans have a right to be pissed off when the organization trades a popular player (Ballard) for a guy they tout as having top 6 forward potential, then waives him after PRE-SEASON.

To keep things in perspective, only 1 game did the Panthers start what would be closest to their opening day roster. So this kid comes to a new team, a new system, etc., and after a couple of pre-season games he's worthless? BS on Tallon for that. I said exactly what itchy Matthias said - let him ride the pine and play on the 4th line to send a message and see if it pushes him. You just lost a 23 year old with elite speed & a lot of talent for nothing. Stupid, stupid, stupid move. Olesz should be waived too, if anything to maintain credibility. Or Reinprecht for that matter, who is another guy touted as our new #2 centerman and is now centering the 4th line. The guy doesn't produce and Grabner could have given you the same scoring results for less $$$. It's hypocritical of the organization and just more proof that they'll keep putting turds out on the ice and try to sell it as diamonds.
THIS!!!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Erick

Quote:
Reino is a much better player than Grabner. Reino is a solid 3rd line center with a relatively solid career who has been pushed down the depth chart because people have earned their spots. Matthias and Santo deserve their spots.
Grabner has a lot more potential than Reino. For a team that's rebuilding, that's more important.

Reino doesn't even belong here anymore with Santorelli stepping up this preseason. "Solid 3rd line center" no longer even fits for us, considering he's no longer even a center in this organization.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
They traded for him just 4 months ago. Most people thought he was, at least, a bigger part of the deal than Bernier was. In terms of goal-scoring potential, he has more potential than our 1st round pick (Howden).

How did they lose faith in him so quickly? A handful of preseason games??? Really?
I believe the centerpiece of the trade was riding themselves of the Ballard contract which is very long and expensive. A good move, no doubt. This is a salary cap era and team like the Panthers can't risk having a guy like Ballard on the books for that long and at that price.

Not just preseason games but practice and everything off ice. There is more to this decision then his zero production.

I think you're vastly overrating Grabner's goal scoring ability.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertod View Post

If he would have stayed up and he didn't score you'd complain... from his history it wouldn't be suprising to see him in the AHL again, and BTW, he didn't tear it up down there either.
He did well enough in the A, but you're right, Santo earned the spot, literally! Grabner would had to have stayed up the WHOLE YEAR guys, just wasn't going to happen, not if that quote from Tallon was true.

I think based on Tallon's quote, again if it's legit, gives a clear picture of what Tallon is demanding from this team, and in a lot of ways what he thinks about it.

10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertod View Post

I agree. Everyone needs to realize that we're talking about a 23 year old former first round pick that was traded by the team who drafted him then subsequently waived. Grabner has the tools to be a goal scorer but so did Ivan Novoseltsev who imo, is a perfect comparison.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He did well enough in the A, but you're right, Santo earned the spot, literally! Grabner would had to have stayed up the WHOLE YEAR guys, just wasn't going to happen, not if that quote from Tallon was true.

I think based on Tallon's quote, again if it's legit, gives a clear picture of what Tallon is demanding from this team, and in a lot of ways what he thinks about it.
GR has that quote. It's legit.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post

None of us know what goes on behind the closed doors, not sure how Tallon came to the mindset that quote shows, but I'm sure it's got more to do with what we know.

Still, if he went the whole year, played a handful of games, and still showed nothing, he would have had to stay up the whole year...on "potential" alone! Where does that stop?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
GR has that quote. It's legit.
K, thank you!

Old
10-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Erick

Quote:
I believe the centerpiece of the trade was riding themselves of the Ballard contract which is very long and expensive. A good move, no doubt. This is a salary cap era and team like the Panthers can't risk having a guy like Ballard on the books for that long and at that price.

Not just preseason games but practice and everything off ice. There is more to this decision then his zero production.

I think you're vastly overrating Grabner's goal scoring ability.
The Ballard deal was a good deal. I really have no problem with it. They got rid of a bad contract.

I'm just saying we got a top 50 prospect out of that deal, and we just let him go for nothing because of a bad preseason. I would really hope that you're right in saying that it has to do with other things that we, fans, do not see in practice, etc.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:29 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

I was excited about Grabners future and am disappointed that he is gone as well. But the fact remains that he didnt earn a spot on a team where he could have and should have. Panthers fans get so pissed when talented players are given a spot in the nhl and allowed to work out (or maybe more fittingly, allowed to lollygag out) long scoring droughts. Now we have a GM who brings in a lot of talent and makes people work for their spots and cuts/waives those who dont deserve to be in the nhl and everyone is pissed again. You cant win with Panthers fans.

I think people will obviously bring up the fact that Olesz hasnt earned anything and has a spot and my answer to that is there is nothing Tallon can do about it. He inherited the bad contract and he has his hands tied right now. Olesz will have to sink or swim this year. And trust me if there was a snowballs chance in hell that anyone would claim rusti he wouldve been waived ages ago.

So I am sad that Grabner is gone, but it isnt the end of the world and I am just glad that Tallon is staying true to his pledge to make people work for there spots and foster competition.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

The fact that some people thought he'd clear is scary...

Waive Reinprecht, Olesz etc. first instead of Grabner........

Panthers607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Dale Tallon: Michael Grabner needed to earn spot on Fla Panthers ... Showed nothing and was waived

Ive got no problem with that rationale. This isnt going to be a team of lollygagging talented players as it has been for years. Slowly and surely the riff raff will get cleared out, whether theyre newly aquired or have been eating up dollars for years. When it is all said and done the Panthers will be a tough gritty hardworking team.

Grabner had talent and we all wouldve loved to have another goal scorer on the team, but it has to be hard working gritty goal scorers (like booth) not lollygagging my talent will make me the next gretzky types.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
The fact that some people thought he'd clear is scary...

Waive Reinprecht, Olesz etc. first instead of Grabner........
who would pick them up with their Ks? (Ks that Tallon didnt sign by the way). if there was even a chance that anyone would claim them then they'd be cut already. if grabner had oleszs K then he wouldve made ith through waivers as well.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Not sure who they would attempt to claim. Any ideas?

BTW, anyone have an accurate number of registered contracts we currently have, I think its 47/48.
Yes CapGeek should have it pretty close. It shows we currently have (though including Grabner so just subtract 1) that there's 49 contracts due to the RFA status of Jordan Henry which means now we should have 48. Anyone that they claim would still have to go thru waivers again to demote to the minors I believe.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Two4Fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
I was excited about Grabners future and am disappointed that he is gone as well. But the fact remains that he didnt earn a spot on a team where he could have and should have. Panthers fans get so pissed when talented players are given a spot in the nhl and allowed to work out (or maybe more fittingly, allowed to lollygag out) long scoring droughts. Now we have a GM who brings in a lot of talent and makes people work for their spots and cuts/waives those who dont deserve to be in the nhl and everyone is pissed again. You cant win with Panthers fans.

I think people will obviously bring up the fact that Olesz hasnt earned anything and has a spot and my answer to that is there is nothing Tallon can do about it. He inherited the bad contract and he has his hands tied right now. Olesz will have to sink or swim this year. And trust me if there was a snowballs chance in hell that anyone would claim rusti he wouldve been waived ages ago.

So I am sad that Grabner is gone, but it isnt the end of the world and I am just glad that Tallon is staying true to his pledge to make people work for there spots and foster competition.
That is correctly stated, for years we have complained about accountability and Tallon has enough character to make hard decisions, That is what we always wanted.

Grabner looked great in paper but that is not how you build a team, you have to prove your wares on the ice, he did not.

Two4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
who would pick them up with their Ks? (Ks that Tallon didnt sign by the way). if there was even a chance that anyone would claim them then they'd be cut already. if grabner had oleszs K then he wouldve made ith through waivers as well.
Let them play in Roch and bring up Repik etc, that was my point.

Panthers607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Boooooth10

Called it. I knew he was going to be picked up by the Islanders.

Last edited by Panthers Rock: 10-05-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: language
Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Let them play in Roch and bring up Repik etc, that was my point.
i kinda agree with that. i think you will see people getting benched and or sent down this year when they fail to produce. certainly we wont see another scoring drought like we did last year (what was it like 15-20 games with a goal a game average) without major benchings, demotions, and line shufflings. but i think that will take place during the season, not now.

Old
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Well, there ya go! I'm going to take that for what it's worth and believe that he's spoken to both Olesz and Reino. I'm sure both will be moved ASAP.

Sorry Erick, we are rebuilding, but you still have to earn a spot.

(Gizmo, do you have a link? That's a pretty in your face comment!)
Reino and Olesz would both clear waivers. Grabner of the 3 only 1 with value

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Reino and Olesz would both clear waivers. Grabner of the 3 only 1 with value
Of course, but then what? The Panthers pay them that much money to play in Rochester? Not going to happen, not enough money to do that. Further, if they'd have to stay for the whole season since they'd have to go through re-entries to come back up, and a team would likely take them at half the price. So, there's just no point in doing that. They'd get waived, pass through, and be back with the team, what's the point? Unless the feeler went out that the team wants to trade them bad enough, then we would take on salary coming back, may not be good salary.

I think this is make or break for both players, personally, Olesz will get bought out if he doesn't get traded, and Reino will be moved for a pick, likely at the deadline, at the very latest.

We could see a trade or two coming here in the next couple days, the team has 25 players and has to get down to 23, could be Tallon and DeBoer feel they'd rather keep Bitz and McArdle up and see if they can't move out Olesz, Reino, or some other player or two.

Old
10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
He may be a decent prospect but he didnt do enough to win a spot. Vancouver fans telling us that oh thats just grabner , he holds back in the pre-season then turns it up in the season. To me that shows grabner doesnt have character, because if he did have character, he would be busting his ass to win a spot but grabner probably thought he was at least 90 percent sure to make it anyway , so he held back to not injure himself.
All we know at this moment is he has good potential to be a great nhler, whether he becomes a great nhler , who knows . On paper it looks like it but again to get really mad at DT for grabner getting claimed is jumping the gun. I understand that it sucks because we wanted to see what grabner can do and had high hopes for him but at the end of that day , again , too early to tell what michael grabner will become.

Oh and the islanders have to keep him in the nhl to hold onto him , cause if they try and send him down, he goes back on waivers , which then if the panthers didnt really wanna lose him , can pick him up again
Just because Grabner didn't play well in preseason doesn't mean he lacks character... having followed him since his draft, IMO it's more that he lacks confidence then character.

Grabner was a noted gym-rat... he worked hard off the ice to improve his weaknesses - notably playing a perimeter game and not being physical enough. He was a hard working player who did work hard both on and off the ice.

But when the season started, he usually was very quiet in preseason and only after starting strong in the AHL did he get his confidence back and play at a higher level.

I think he needs to be handled properly to be developed well. You can't just do what most teams do with their prospects - let them fend for themselves and not actually help the players with their development. This is a mistake that most franchise still operate as - there is just not enough hands-on development from the organization with the player. When you look at the top organizations in the league, they all have an active role in all their prospects' development, but for some reason this is just not how most organizations still operate.

Grabner needs to be coddled in a way... he works hard, but his confidence is fragile. When he came up and played with the Canucks last year, he gained a lot of confidence playing next to Kesler and his play reflected it. Being traded to a non-hockey market just when he thought he was on the verge of making it, hurt his confidence again.

I think he'll do better in New York... playing on a rebuilding team that will give him time to develop and have some patience with him - you simply have to have patience with this player to develop him properly. I still think he'll develop into a decent 2nd line winger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I got to say I'm a big believer of Steve Bernier though !

The guy has the hands to score 30 goals in this league that's for sure...

And Quinton Howden will be a great player IMO
Bernier has hands? This is the one thing he was most criticized about in Vancouver... he may have the work ethic to get 30 goals, but he needs talent beside him to do it because he has hands of stone. He whiffed on so many quality chances playing next to top offensive players, that it become quite obvious that his hands are the worst part of his game.

I like Bernier because he works hard... he will go into dirty areas, throw his body around, and play a gritty game. But he is a prototypical 3rd liner because his hands and overall hockey sense are just not there. I do think he can be a consistent 20-goal guy in this league from a 3rd line, getting PP time as well. But I don't see him improving beyond that given his weaknesses. Still a crash and bang 20-goal guy who can play on the PP and works hard every shift, is a valuable player overall. Just don't expect 30 goals, or you'll be disappointed.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote