HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Brien Strikes at AV.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 500
O'Brien Strikes at AV.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Bri...596/story.html

Quote:
And in a related transaction, Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville sent the Roxy Night Club Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and a banjo player to be named later as compensation for the loss of Shane O'Brien.

The Vancouver Canucks traded O'Brien earlier Tuesday for Nashville Predator defenceman Ryan Parent. So ended O'Brien's two-year adventure in Vancouver, and so began another round of Roxy jokes involving the player.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Bri...#ixzz11XgjLDSJ

Last edited by William H Bonney: 10-06-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: removed full article
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

This really exposes AV in his favoritism really. I do agree that SOB didn't have as much of a chance in the preseason games.

Orekovich and Perreault were fed to the dogs... while his favs Bolduc and Glass always played with the more nhl calibre team to get sheltered..

At least SOB had a lot of good things to say about the franchise.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:38 PM
VanEric

He has a VERY high opinion of his own play, doesn't he?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Yes he does... he is an idiot... But I'm on the fence with this one because I hate both AV and SOB.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Red

Quote:
"I wish I got a little fairer shake in camp. I only played three exhibition games, all on the road, and we flew the day of the game on two of them. And - no disrespect to the players we had in those games - but the three games I played we were nowhere near an NHL-calibre roster. It was the icing on the cake for my career here in Vancouver.
He has SUCH a poor attitude. Wow. I desperately wanted to like this guy, but he seems to think of himself as the greatest thing since sliced bread, and neither his dedication nor his play have ever warranted it.

I think we all know AV plays favourites with some players, and he's not alone, a lot of NHL coaches do - Rypper and Bieksa his main loves of course. But no one can say Glass or Bolduc or Alberts didn't earn their spots in camp, and SOB lost his spot by his dreadful play. He's always been full of excuses instead of being accountable.

He wasn't going to move up the depth chart not because of the organization or the coaching staff, but because he is not better than any of the players ahead of him! The sooner he realizes this, the better.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
BoHorvatFan

I'd argue the ''willingly fights'' part. He picks his fights and does it only when he wants to.

I was expecting SOB to lash out at the staff here because he's immature. Sometimes you just need to bite your tongue and appreciate the fact that you're making 1.6mil to play a game for a living. If he had a different attitude he could be a great 3rd pairing d-man. He just wants to be someone he's not. He's not a puck moving d-man, he can't lead the rush. If he would just play within himself and make the simple play he'd be very solid.

Hopefully he grows up in Nashville. I'm glad he's gone.

BoHorvatFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:43 PM
RobertKron

All day I was waiting for this to happen. Dude is an idiot.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:44 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I thought everything he said about himself was right on cue. He was good as a 3rd pairing defenseman, and he didn't embarrass himself (aside from his antics) when asked to play a top-4 role. If not for his extra-curricular activities and the cap situation, I would have loved for him to return as a bottom-pairing defenseman.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

So he admits he partied too much.....but he still blames Vigneault? Sorry.....what?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Yes he does... he is an idiot... But I'm on the fence with this one because I hate both AV and SOB.
SOB's had two years of making a poor impression on the coach so yes, maybe he didn't baby him this training camp. Maybe Shane's fate was sealed the moment he accepted that qualifying offer but it's not like he showed anything in those games. It's not like he went out and did anything to make the coaching staff think twice about him.

He looked like crap and he got outplayed by Andrew Alberts.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
This really exposes AV in his favoritism really. I do agree that SOB didn't have as much of a chance in the preseason games.

Orekovich and Perreault were fed to the dogs... while his favs Bolduc and Glass always played with the more nhl calibre team to get sheltered..

At least SOB had a lot of good things to say about the franchise.
Bingo.

He comes off as whiny, but the media asked the questions, and he gave them the answers.

SOB's musings:

Canucks = First Class
AV = Uses Favoritism

Sounds like SOB just told the truth.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
skywarp75

he isnt the best hockey player, but he speaks 100% truth about AV, the man makes up his mind about people and never changes it. We know he LOVES Bieksa, and recently Glass. We also know he really didnt like giving Linden any kind of icetime, due to some kind of a bias (not saying linden was great near the end, but he was better than some of AV's man-crush bums)

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:51 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I thought everything he said about himself was right on cue. He was good as a 3rd pairing defenseman, and he didn't embarrass himself (aside from his antics) when asked to play a top-4 role. If not for his extra-curricular activities and the cap situation, I would have loved for him to return as a bottom-pairing defenseman.
His comments seem to indicate he thinks he played so well during those times that when the injured players came back, he deserved to play ahead of them. That's where I feel like he thinks he played better than he actually did.

It's just a poor attitude to have. I'm sure many guys feel they deserve more but most of them just work hard, keep their mouth shut, and when they get the chance, they move on to a different team.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
KDizzle

He may not be the smartest cookie in the cookie jar, but I can see where his comments are coming from.

He played well when he needed to. Not Top 4 good, but good enough to be a stop gap there. AV does have his biases, but so do most coaches. It appears AV had a problem with SOB's attitude and immaturity and it affected his judgment of SOB's play.

KDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
"I wish I got a little fairer shake in camp. I only played three exhibition games, all on the road, and we flew the day of the game on two of them. And - no disrespect to the players we had in those games - but the three games I played we were nowhere near an NHL-calibre roster. It was the icing on the cake for my career here in Vancouver.
Know your role and shut your mouth!

- The Rock

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Every coach in the league has favourites. To whine about something so obvious and trivial is idiotic.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Gorge Canuck

I bet Nashville is a little nervious right now.

Gorge Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Peter Griffin

Good riddance.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I agree with SOB in some sentiments...it's blatantly obvious - for me, anyway, that AV has his favourites, namely the two French Canadian grinders who somehow (alright, they had a decent pre-season) found there way on the roster. But, IMO neither of those have the hard skills to be NHL players. But, surely enough, this parting shot will likely be the way people remember SOB around these parts.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Finnish Your Czechs

Did that article say we traded with Florida to acquire O'Brien?

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Know your role and shut your mouth!

- The Rock

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:56 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
This really exposes AV in his favoritism really.
I find comments like this funny, when we heard the complete opposite when AV first arrived, after Crawford was criticized heavily for this.

I thought AV was supposed to be a coach who allowed players to move up if they earned it... isn't he the one who rewards players for good play?

We've seen countless guys get more icetime as they've earned it - from Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins, Raymond, etc... sure he has a couple favorites (Bieksa and Rypien being the most notable), but he's also given icetime to guys that have earned it, and taken it away from those that haven't... Glass playing ahead of Hordichuk is another example of this from last season.

Every coach in the league has favorites... but I don't think you can criticize AV for this too much, considering his history here of rewarding icetime based on players earning it. Crawford on the other hand was a prime example of a coach who played favorites.

O'Brien was his own worst enemy from day 1... he didn't accept the role he was given and complained about it publicly... I'm not surprised that a player that does that is going to be in the coach's doghouse - and deservedly so. Why should he get more of an opportunity on a team like this, when he's not willing to accept the role he's given, and seemed to have more disciplinary issues than anyone else on the team? That's not AV's fault here.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I agree with SOB in some sentiments...it's blatantly obvious - for me, anyway, that AV has his favourites, namely the two French Canadian grinders who somehow (alright, they had a decent pre-season) found there way on the roster. But, IMO neither of those have the hard skills to be NHL players.
And a certain "top-pairing PP quarterback".

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Judas View Post
Every coach in the league has favourites. To whine about something so obvious and trivial is idiotic.
If AV didn't have some favourites, where would Alex Burrows be right now? Ryan Kesler is also one of his 'favourites'. He was giving him a ton of ice time even before he started putting up points.

Willie Mitchell, apparently not best friends with Alain Vigneault, yet somehow managed to get the most minutes because he did his job well.

I like that Tanner Glass is labeled as an AV favourite now. Who the **** was Tanner Glass a year ago? He's just some fringe NHL'er who Gillis picked up and he busted his ass to make the team. He didn't play with a bunch of great players this pre-season but unlike Oreskovich, he hit everything that moved and didn't get embarrassed when he dropped his mits.

Old
Cody Hodgson

It's the truth about AV.

Nothing really shocking here. Wish SOB a good season in Nashville.

Cody Hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote