HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What impact will the Lightning win have on the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Rob

vCash: 500

Remember when the Devils won the Cup back in '95? It ushered in a new era of boring defensive hockey. Is it possible that the Lightning's attack style hockey will usher in a new era of offensive hockey?

Old
06-07-2004, 10:24 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Nope.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Teemu

Dont count on it

Old
06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
blindedbyfear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Remember when the Devils won the Cup back in '95? It ushered in a new era of boring defensive hockey. Is it possible that the Lightning's attack style hockey will usher in a new era of offensive hockey?
i wouldn't bet my lunch money on it.

Tampa won the Cup because they have a core of highly skilled, young, offensively gifted forwards, a physical, puck-moving defense, and a world class goaltender.

Not to mention a load of luck, which is what any team needs to outlast and win the Cup.

I actually think that more teams will emulate Calgary's style. A relatively inexpensive, hard working team can over-achieve and get pretty far.

my .02

Old
06-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Hopefully a positive one.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Prince Mercury

I think all these finals proved (so far as game strategy goes) is that high salaries don't get people anywhere. CBA, hoy!

Old
06-07-2004, 11:14 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindedbyfear
i wouldn't bet my lunch money on it.

Tampa won the Cup because they have a core of highly skilled, young, offensively gifted forwards, a physical, puck-moving defense, and a world class goaltender.

Not to mention a load of luck, which is what any team needs to outlast and win the Cup.

I actually think that more teams will emulate Calgary's style. A relatively inexpensive, hard working team can over-achieve and get pretty far.

my .02
The flames have an unreproducible style IMO. I have NEVER seen a team work so hard. Part of the answer probably is Sutter and another part is having a captain who fights, scores, passes, digs pucks in the corners, hits and just does it all. There's only one Iginla in the league. There can only be one team that works as hard and is as resilient as the Calgary Flames IMO.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Tampa didn't defeat trapping teams in the playoffs, so the theory isn't supported...however, I think it's encouraging that a trapping team didn't win, nor that a trapping team appeared in the final four.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:29 PM
CalgaryFan1988

What impact, a negative one I think. Americans show disinterest in NHL, by their T.V ratings, and Canadians getting sick of losing to the mighty dollar.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:33 PM
blindedbyfear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
The flames have an unreproducible style IMO. I have NEVER seen a team work so hard. Part of the answer probably is Sutter and another part is having a captain who fights, scores, passes, digs pucks in the corners, hits and just does it all. There's only one Iginla in the league. There can only be one team that works as hard and is as resilient as the Calgary Flames IMO.
While it may be difficult to reproduce the Flames' style, I think more organizations are in a position to go forward with hard work than with a team stocked with budding stars achieved through years of losing.

And while Iginla is the Flames' X-Factor, one could see Ruutu in Chicago, Shane Doan in Pheonix, or a few others doing the same thing with a good dose of luck and far less overall talent than Tampa possesses.

Excellent points though. Maybe this series will also impress on some organizations that the two most important qualities in a hockey player are skating skills and work ethic. And that goes for both teams.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Phanuthier*

I think Tampa, SJ and Calgary have turned hockey a new corner like NJ did in 1995.

I bet more teams that don't have as much talent (ala Calgary) will play the puck pressure system the Flames did (morso their play before the finals).

Teams with less talent can get their oppertunities from turnovers and not pretty plays.

Great defensive system, exciting, tons of skating and hitting, and its cheap to get guys like Donovan and Clark.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
Tampa didn't defeat trapping teams in the playoffs, so the theory isn't supported...however, I think it's encouraging that a trapping team didn't win, nor that a trapping team appeared in the final four.
The Flyers play the trap just about as well as the Devils ever did. It's just been changed to be more about puck persuit.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
While it may be difficult to reproduce the Flames' style, I think more organizations are in a position to go forward with hard work than with a team stocked with budding stars achieved through years of losing.
It will be hard to reporduce the Flames style perfect IMO

Sutter took a look at this team... Yelle, Donovan, Clark... and saw what this team's strength is. Skating, and the ability to hit and cause turnovers (as hitting for the sake of... hitting, like Sloan and Begin). These guys arn't gonna punish you so much as they cause turnovers and pressure the puck.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Knucklez

It's nice to see, but I don't see it changing the mindset of other teams all that much. I think the Bolts and Canucks will still be the most offensive teams next year.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:47 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
You're kidding right? Julien employs a trap-style game in Montreal and Tampa took 'em out in 4 straight. Philly is more defensively oriented with Hitchcock at the helm.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I think it's entirely possible, but Tampa is not solely responsible. If you look at all of the Conference Finalists, they all played an up tempo style; which left many of the slow, plodding, defense oriented teams in the dust.

06-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Street Hawk

not much I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
The top end teams with skill, like the Avs, Wings, Nucks will still play their high end offensive games. Sharks don't trap, but I wouldn't call them offensive minded either. Have a good forecheck team with great speed. Dallas will continue it's style under Tippett. If the Kings ever have TB's health, I think Murray may let them play the game a bit more. Oilers play an open style, despite their lack of talent.

The best impact might be on the teams that missed the playoffs. Columbus is a team with loads of young talent, so hopefully they find a coach that encourages them to be creative rather than turning them into robots. Chicago, under Sutter is removed will try to play like Calgary, but they don't have the grinders to do so. Minny, as long as Lemaire is there, no free wheeling hockey.

Anaheim, they have soom good young talent and maybe it's time for a change in styles for them... but, I think Babcock will play the same style

Nashville... well, if Legwand plays like a #2 pick, ala Marleau, the Preds could eventually play a more up tempo style and be more aggressive.

Phoenix, depends who the next coach will be. Have some good talent in Doan, Nagy, Comrie to work with. You know Gretzky wants to be more offensive minded

St. Louis... they will play the same way as this season.

Similar situation back east. TB and Boston will play the same style. Be offensive. NJ, Philly will play defensive. With Martin out, Sens could play more aggressive rather than the system. leafs play offensive too.

I'd bet the Panthers play more open and hopefully the Canes will too. Thrashers are doing it now with their young talent.

So, the best chances of a more offensive league lie in the developing teams. If they decide that "hey, look at Brad Richards and Vinny and St. Louis. Let they play the offensive style and they will know what it takes to score in the playoffs. It will take time and some patience, but could work" They will got through 1 or 2 playoffs where they have to realize that they can't be that fancy with the puck in the playoffs, but will soon learn.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:36 AM
stungun

the effect will be fabolous. tampa deserved the cup, they played hard all year and fought their way thru the playoffs. and as all those signs said lord stanley needs a tan. congratulations to the wonderful tampa bay lightning.

Old
06-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Rschmitz

Islanders played the trap as well, Lightning won in 5.

Old
06-08-2004, 01:35 AM
kruezer

I don't think so, I lean more towards thinking certain players cause the cyclical scoring actions of the NHL. Tampa Bay has some good young high scoring players who can be part of the movement, but I don't think it will be in particular their team that will change the NHL's style, just like I don't think NJD alone changed the NHL's style in 1995.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

And while Iginla is the Flames' X-Factor, one could see Ruutu in Chicago, Shane Doan in Pheonix, or a few others doing the same thing with a good dose of luck and far less overall talent than Tampa possesses.
Oh you don't know how much I would love to see Doaner lead the Yotes deep into the playoffs!!!

Old
06-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Molson v. Labatt

I've never thought there was a magic system. I think what made both of the teams in the finals stand out was the speed and desire with which they played. Today's game requires teams to change systems as the game is played. Both, Tampa and Calgary would shift to a passive forecheck when up a goal or two...that will not change.

IMO, these finals represented two teams that played with passion...something seldom seen on a regular basis in today's game. The hitting was ferocious, and the players continued to take the hits to make the plays. The speed of offensive attacks was incredible by both teams, yet it was countered by excellent d-play and goaltending.

I think the biggest impact these finals will have is to no longer rely on the traditional stars and teams as 'contenders'. A team that is well managed, no matter its location, its history, its market size- can compete for and win the cup.

Old
06-08-2004, 08:16 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
If it had been the Rangers, Philly, Boston playing that style of hockey and winning maybe. But because it was Tampa, and because they got no respect going into the playoffs and because they were in the final and most Americans turned it over to Idol I don't think it will change a thing. Next year we'll be back to a trap.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:04 AM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I don't think so, I lean more towards thinking certain players cause the cyclical scoring actions of the NHL. Tampa Bay has some good young high scoring players who can be part of the movement, but I don't think it will be in particular their team that will change the NHL's style, just like I don't think NJD alone changed the NHL's style in 1995.

Jacques did it, not NJD.

Many teams just followed his blueprint of success, where Defense wins you the cup. By playing D system, you do not need high priced talent = ideal for small market teams.

Whats worse? Jacques is now in minny, who are playing the same style, and bacock (sp?) follows suit and plays D-first which got them to cup final.

Solution? ban Jacque from coaching. (j/k).

Anyhow, it was great to see TB, an offensive team, winning the cup, other than the likes of Avs, Wings, etc!

The series was one of the most entertaining one since NJD winning in 95.

Good games!

Old
06-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Nope.
Don't agree, A offensive style will come back but not because of the lightning. The lightning don't win because there offensive, Vancouver, Colorado and Ottawa are very offensive probably more so and where did they go. Its the fact that Tbay is so agressive offensively that they build big early leads and keep pressure never falling on their D. Tbay will not be a reason for an upswing, but rather equipment changes for goalies and new rules. I think with 3-4 years offense will be up and we will again have some teams scoring over 300 goals for in a season.

Closed Thread