HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Unhappy with progress thus far

Old
10-05-2010, 10:40 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
No need to keep it quiet. Seemed like he knew Snow didn't want to move the pick and tried to put pressure on him by making the comments public.
Burke using the media doesn't put any pressure on Snow . Maybe Burke thought that by going through the media JT would tell New York he didn't want to play for them and they'd be better off making a deal with the leafs . I really can't see any other reasoning for Burke going to the media .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
If anyone in the Leafs organization top to bottom is satisfied they need new employment. Burke wants to win as much as the players he brought in.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:43 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
No need to keep it quiet. Seemed like he knew Snow didn't want to move the pick and tried to put pressure on him by making the comments public.
the pick wouldve been a waste anyway Duchene is the prize of the draft

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
The Blue Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
All Burke had to do was make one simple phone call to Snow and ask if the pick was even available . There was no need to discuss it in the media .

He had every intention of dealing Kabs but he misjudged the market for him , theres no way he signs Lebda if he didn't want to deal Kabs .

As far as Finger goes , why does it make any sense to have 3.5 million sitting in the press box not playing when he could have used that cash to sign a UFA forward in the summer .
Yeah the media thing was a little much, I agree.

About Lebda, here's a thought, maybe it was for...you know...depth on defense, add a veteran pressence that has experience winning!

What UFA was out there that was worth signing? Zherdev and Frolov have a history of bringing a bad pressence in the dressing rooms so that's not really an ideal signing with a young group of players, he tried for Afinaganov, but he wanted to much term and he most definitely wasn't going to spend 100mil on Kovy. So please tell us with all of your knowledge who he would sign that could work with our team. Also don't bring up Gagne because he had an NTC and got to chose where he played.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
gustavsson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
If he is unhappy with the progress then do something about it.

At least he can admit it.

what more do u want from burke??? HE TRADED TOSKALA AND BLAKE....impossible trades. and tell me which GM can pull that

gustavsson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavsson50 View Post
what more do u want from burke??? HE TRADED TOSKALA AND BLAKE....impossible trades. and tell me which GM can pull that
He traded 2 future hall of famers for just Kessel that's why he's failed and doomed his tenure as the Leaf GM

Well that's the picture that is being debated anyway. Burke's doing a great job 1 piece at time as they come he'll build a winner that Wilson and his staff will coach.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:01 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Yeah the media thing was a little much, I agree.

About Lebda, here's a thought, maybe it was for...you know...depth on defense, add a veteran pressence that has experience winning!

What UFA was out there that was worth signing? Zherdev and Frolov have a history of bringing a bad pressence in the dressing rooms so that's not really an ideal signing with a young group of players, he tried for Afinaganov, but he wanted to much term and he most definitely wasn't going to spend 100mil on Kovy. So please tell us with all of your knowledge who he would sign that could work with our team. Also don't bring up Gagne because he had an NTC and got to chose where he played.
So we sign Lebda to join Finger in the pressbox and have about 5 mil not playing . Yea this makes alot of sense and i guess sitting and watching games is what Leba had in mind when he came to the Leafs .

DP and PK had dressing room issues but it didn't stop Burke from signing them . To be honest i never heard about Frolov being a problem in the dressing room and he'd help us a hell alot more than a guy sitting in the pressbox .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
the pick wouldve been a waste anyway Duchene is the prize of the draft
is it too late to say i wouldve taken him 1st overall? cause i wouldve.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Grabner? Are you for real?? Bring in some loafing russian players as prospects. He has the better one of them all in Kullemin. Those players you list no one else wants.

Why so many goalies? Maybe because a couple of years ago we had none of any consequence and there is nothing wrong with adding as much depth as you can. Not everyone of them will be NHL regulars.

He has project forwards. Mueller, Caputi, Hanson and Irwin are all projects that at least have real upside. I'm not the biggest Burke fan but I disagree with everything that you said.
Zherdev's good enough for the cup finalists, so yeah, I'd probably take him over a lot of guys on our team, even if he's a 'loafing Russian'.

Mueller, Caputi, Hanson and Irwin all have potential and a guy like Zherdev doesn't? A guy who has already had 3 50 point seasons and is 26? And Grabner doesn't have any potential? He's not fantastic, but he's free. If there's no harm in adding minor league goalies who will probably play in the ECHL for you, what's the harm in taking a flyer on someone who can score goals i.e. something the Leafs can't do well consistently?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Collegedude84*

Wow, some of you guys are a bit much.

1. Burke signed Lebda for depth. The leafs will likely have injuries on the blueline this season, so we'll need guys ready to step in if and when that happens. Lebda and Finger are the best options to fill in.

2. Burke didnt sign Zherdev and I'm glad he didnt! The guy is a big cry baby, he had issues in Columbus because he wasnt getting enough ice time, he bolted to the KHL too a few years later. The guy has an attitude problem, something Burke doesnt like to have on his team.

3. Frolov has been in serious decline these past 3 years, and clearly he isnt the type of player Burke is looking for, hence he didnt sign him.

4. We dont have any spot on the team for Grabner, so whats the use in bringing him in even if he is free? Who's he going to outplay for their job (Kessel, Bozak, Kulemin, Versteeg, Grabo, Mccarthur all have secure jobs), and Grabner is an offense oriented player, who wouldnt fair well on the bottom 2 lines.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Falconator

To date his assessment is pretty accurate, this will be a big year for his team though. As he's got his "GUYS" now and they have to take a step forward. Another bottom ten finish this year and there'll be some splaining to do in Toronto!

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:31 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces High View Post
Should've kept Stajan.

Then there'd be Bozak, Stajan and Grabovski down the middle.
Would you be happy with Stajan making $3.5 million/season?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:40 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post

1. Burke signed Lebda for depth. The leafs will likely have injuries on the blueline this season, so we'll need guys ready to step in if and when that happens. Lebda and Finger are the best options to fill in.

2. Burke didnt sign Zherdev and I'm glad he didnt! The guy is a big cry baby, he had issues in Columbus because he wasnt getting enough ice time, he bolted to the KHL too a few years later. The guy has an attitude problem, something Burke doesnt like to have on his team.

3. Frolov has been in serious decline these past 3 years, and clearly he isnt the type of player Burke is looking for, hence he didnt sign him.

4. We dont have any spot on the team for Grabner, so whats the use in bringing him in even if he is free? Who's he going to outplay for their job (Kessel, Bozak, Kulemin, Versteeg, Grabo, Mccarthur all have secure jobs), and Grabner is an offense oriented player, who wouldnt fair well on the bottom 2 lines.
Frolov put up 51 points with minimal PP time and with a lot of time on the third line. He's still a very good player and I expect a big season as one of the main pieces in New York, would have liked to sign him here.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:18 AM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Burke's failing grade isn't based on the future, it's based on his results so far.

2nd. worst in the league, is there any debate?
I see what your saying here. But come on i don't think anyone in there right mind would want our 7th last team in the league over our 2nd last team. this team shows PROMISE our other team not so much. sure you might say his grade isn't based on future but it has a lot to do with future. So lets give up our 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and bozak for Brad Richards he'll improve our team greatly and while we're at it lets trade Kadri and Schenn for Semin on a 5 year contract. Hey since Burke's grade doesn't involve the future lets trade all of our picks and olden and see if we can snatch kovy from the devils and oh i can't forget our goaltending situation. i think all of our 2013 draft picks the monster and w.e. prospects we have should get us ryan miller this should moves burkes grade to an A+ and our top 6 looks like this

kovalchuk-Richards-Kessel
Kulimen-Grabovski-Semin

ryan miller

There is SO many things that would never happen in my post but you get what i'm saying. getting things for the future should be included. Also what do you want burke to do? He had nothing to work with and still made an ok team people need to realize that you don't just find top wingers or a number 1 center on trees you have about 3 ways to get then
1.Trade a hefty price for them (kessel)
2.Draft them (see washigton for examples (ovi semin)
3.You get them on Free agency which is pretty hard with most likely 10-15+ gm wanting them as well

Sorry Ulf I'm not trying to bash you or anything but Burke can't just do everything in a blink of an eye. Now some of you might say ohh well he's being paid to do it blah blah blah well guess what theirs 30 other GM's being paid to make there team the best. I doubt Steve Yzerman trades stamkos to us for our scraps. Why? being hes trying to make is team the best. getting top line talent is NOT easy unless you want to over pay. But even then leaf fans wont be able to handle it (look at kessel people think we over payed to get him a bonafied first line winger). Now i dont agree with everything burke has done (over paying komi armstrong ect.) but you can't deny he has made this team better and promising

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:56 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post

Thats what a teams farm team is for. When a player gets injured you should have someone down in the AHL that is capable of coming up and stepping in for the time being. It is totally unacceptable to have 5 million dollars worth of defencemen sitting in the press box and its even more of a problem when you are severly lacking quality top 6 forwards. This is the problem with the Leafs. They havent been developing these support players (Armstrong, Lebda, Komisarek) at a strong enough rate and are having to go out and spend premium dollar on the free agent market to bring them in, when there should be players filtered thru the system capable of the same impact but for far less money. Hjamlsson is a perfect example last year for the Hawks. A player that came thru the system and gave them awesome production at a bargain barell price. We need to stop spending so much money on support players in the free agent market.

Again, having 5 million dollars on #7/8 defencemen sit in the press box is just utterly ridiculous.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:15 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

I'm just laughing at people who are just following the Move Finger down to the Minors... You don't always have to take the easy route...

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:48 AM
LeafDangler

I really liked that interview. I enjoy the calm, thoughtful Burke much more than I do the blustery showman. I also like to hear things straight from the horse's mouth as well. Cleared up some of my own misconceptions regarding cuts this year.

As for giving himself a poor grade, any other answer would have pissed me off. Anybody who gives themselves a good assessment after finishing 29th place is not the right guy for the job.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:55 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
I see what your saying here. But come on i don't think anyone in there right mind would want our 7th last team in the league over our 2nd last team. this team shows PROMISE our other team not so much. sure you might say his grade isn't based on future but it has a lot to do with future. So lets give up our 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and bozak for Brad Richards he'll improve our team greatly and while we're at it lets trade Kadri and Schenn for Semin on a 5 year contract. Hey since Burke's grade doesn't involve the future lets trade all of our picks and olden and see if we can snatch kovy from the devils and oh i can't forget our goaltending situation. i think all of our 2013 draft picks the monster and w.e. prospects we have should get us ryan miller this should moves burkes grade to an A+ and our top 6 looks like this

kovalchuk-Richards-Kessel
Kulimen-Grabovski-Semin

ryan miller

There is SO many things that would never happen in my post but you get what i'm saying. getting things for the future should be included. Also what do you want burke to do? He had nothing to work with and still made an ok team people need to realize that you don't just find top wingers or a number 1 center on trees you have about 3 ways to get then
1.Trade a hefty price for them (kessel)
2.Draft them (see washigton for examples (ovi semin)
3.You get them on Free agency which is pretty hard with most likely 10-15+ gm wanting them as well

Sorry Ulf I'm not trying to bash you or anything but Burke can't just do everything in a blink of an eye. Now some of you might say ohh well he's being paid to do it blah blah blah well guess what theirs 30 other GM's being paid to make there team the best. I doubt Steve Yzerman trades stamkos to us for our scraps. Why? being hes trying to make is team the best. getting top line talent is NOT easy unless you want to over pay. But even then leaf fans wont be able to handle it (look at kessel people think we over payed to get him a bonafied first line winger). Now i dont agree with everything burke has done (over paying komi armstrong ect.) but you can't deny he has made this team better and promising
I don't disagree, but that doesn't change Burke's rating.

At school did they give you an 'A' because they thought you would do better next year or because of the body of work you handed in?

Actually, Burke's has been impatient and did go for the quick rebuild. He thought he was going into the playoffs last year that's why he was willing to give up so much for Kessel.

He misjudged his coaches ability or the players, which is a failure.
His team was 2nd. worst in the league, another failure.

As I've said, in June he gets another chance to self evaluate, and if he's honest again and he gives himself a passing grade it better be based on a much improved result. Agree?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:04 AM
EucaLEAFtys

As far as I'm concerned, Burke better get used to the feeling because this season's team isn't likely to make the play-offs. If he's lucky, it won't be a lottery-pick team (but I feel fairly certain that it will be).

The forward group is weak, the defence is a huge question mark IMO, and so is the goaltending.

It's likely going to be yet another long painful-to-watch season.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:14 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
So we sign Lebda to join Finger in the pressbox and have about 5 mil not playing . Yea this makes alot of sense and i guess sitting and watching games is what Leba had in mind when he came to the Leafs .

DP and PK had dressing room issues but it didn't stop Burke from signing them . To be honest i never heard about Frolov being a problem in the dressing room and he'd help us a hell alot more than a guy sitting in the pressbox .
You sure about that, I hear it from L.A fans all the time, plus the added fact that he's inconsistent, lazy and has been in a decline for the past 3 seasons. Why do you think that young team like L.A let him go, a team that is going to be competing?

Old
10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Thats what a teams farm team is for. When a player gets injured you should have someone down in the AHL that is capable of coming up and stepping in for the time being. It is totally unacceptable to have 5 million dollars worth of defencemen sitting in the press box and its even more of a problem when you are severly lacking quality top 6 forwards. This is the problem with the Leafs. They havent been developing these support players (Armstrong, Lebda, Komisarek) at a strong enough rate and are having to go out and spend premium dollar on the free agent market to bring them in, when there should be players filtered thru the system capable of the same impact but for far less money. Hjamlsson is a perfect example last year for the Hawks. A player that came thru the system and gave them awesome production at a bargain barell price. We need to stop spending so much money on support players in the free agent market.

Again, having 5 million dollars on #7/8 defencemen sit in the press box is just utterly ridiculous.
That is true, but what do you do if you're on the road and someone gets injured but your minor league player can't make it in time? Yeah you need depth at defense in the minors, but how is it Burke's fault that we don't have any? He hasn't been here long enough to be able to go through that process. Right now we finslly have what seems to look like some solid prospects in our minor league now, but why waist them by putting them in the press box? Why not just keep them down there and let them develop? Yes having 5mil in the press box is bad, but the Finger contract wasn't his fault. I'm also sure that during the season we probably will give some of the young Dmen in our system a shot at the bigs if they show that they've earned it.

Old
10-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Fletcher signed Finger. WTF was Burke supposed to do?
bury him in the minors. no different than redden or souray here. useless big contracts get buried in the minors in the new (cap system) nhl...plain and simple. if sather can do it..so can burke..but he's *****ing out.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Burke is thinking of stepping down at some point and handing the reigns over to Nonis.

Remember when Nonis refused to take the Tampa job last summer?

Anything is possible.
Say hello to mediocrity if that happens. Nonis is a horrible GM. Burke is much better and I think Burkie is going to go down with this ship. It's his dream job.. the Leafs...

Old
10-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
I for one haven't missed Stajan one bit. Half the games he played in he was invisble.
Stajan is garbage. I don't get the infatuation with old mediocre Leafs that we once blasted..or the new thing to do is to over value AHLers like Lashoff or Mitchell on our boards. It's pretty frustrating. It's like we forgot what talent was or something...we haven't seen it in years.

Old
10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsleafs4life View Post
Our best forward was injured for the first 12 games (the worst period of our season), our starting goaltender had the worst record in the league, and our defense wasn't nearly as good as it is now. It's unfair to use last season to gauge Burke's performance. It was just a series of unfortunate events (no, that was not a reference to the books).
Yes but having the worst goalie, poor defense, worst pk, worst pp, etc - at the end of the day is Burke's fault. These "unfortunate events" should have been dealt with in the off season. Plain and simple. The bottom line is Burke's team was 29th overall last year. Let's see where they end up this year...