HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TRADE[FLA/VAN] Andrew Peters for Darcy Hordichuk

Old
10-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Agent007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Tough Guy View Post
Hmm maybe Van is just honoring a deal and will call him up at some point?
The Canucks will call him up and send him down to Rochester when they want to call him up.

The interesting thing will be when Rochester plays Manitoba and he goes toe to toe against guys that are in the same organization as him.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Ask Huet or Soray right now what GM approach they would prefer. You are right. I continue to be impressed by your GM. Was not sure at all about the concept of a former player/player agent making the jump as a rookie GM but he continually impresses me with moves that are all about building a sustainably strong team AND respecting players that don't fit that team.

Bodes well for Vancouver to continue to attract key FAs and get contractual concessions during negotiations.
I continue to be impressed your GM keeps taking one for the Nucks.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Excellent job by Gillis.

Gives the Canucks the heavyweight they lacked. Guy can't play but knows his job and does it. Unlike Hordichuk who staged the same old Parros-type fights, Peters comes in when he is needed and brings it against anyone. Gives the Canucks something that they were missing and you can check off "legit heavyweight" on the checklist. Having Peters in the lineup, when needed, makes everyone a lot safer. Hordichuk, ever since he had screwed up his hand, was not much of any deterrence.

Fact that Peters can be moved up and down is added bonus. Gives them the option and some cap flexibility.

Small move but one with some importance. I think we see Peters as the 13th forward more than some think.
You think Andrew Peters is going to have an impact on the Vancouver Canucks? I don't see this guy playing a single game for the Canucks at any point. If Mike Gillis wanted a no talent hack he would have kept the superior skater in Hordichuk.

IMO this move has absolutely nothing to do with detering anyone from doing anything to this team. It's simply a move to keep Hordi in the NHL and save a bit of money. This is not a hockey deal.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:42 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I continue to be impressed your GM keeps taking one for the Nucks.
^

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:07 PM
SomeoneGreat

Look at this gem I picked off the Panthers board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Hordis actually a pretty good hockey player.

SomeoneGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post

Those poor Panthers fans...is Hordi a better player than Peters? Sure, maybe. But that's like saying getting shot once is better than getting shot twice. Either way, you still get shot.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Resident Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Those poor Panthers fans...is Hordi a better player than Peters? Sure, maybe. But that's like saying getting shot once is better than getting shot twice. Either way, you still get shot.
At least Peters shoots back

Resident Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
I agree 100% that an enforcer needs to be a little unstable and a loose cannon. I don't care if an enforcer takes an extra 2 minutes and gets suspended if it means he's sending a message that star players or young players on our team will not be touched without a response.

I wish Rypien would do more of that instead of his staged fights. I want fighters who will fight guys even if they don't agree to it.
What? What definition of "staged" are you using in this characterization of Rypien's fights?

The rest is smart and something I'd agree with but that staged comment is ridiculous.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Why? Not one of my favourite numbers.
Hmmmm. Wetcoaster: numerologist. Who knew?

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
Hmmmm. Wetcoaster: numerologist. Who knew?
Nope - Kabalarian.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:12 PM
hilib

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post

Nothing on this quote I found in the Grabner picked up by NYI thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I got to say I'm a big believer of Steve Bernier though !

The guy has the hands to score 30 goals in this league that's for sure...

And Quinton Howden will be a great player IMO

hilib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
What? What definition of "staged" are you using in this characterization of Rypien's fights?

The rest is smart and something I'd agree with but that staged comment is ridiculous.
By staged I mean that they aren't based on any event during the game. I haven't seen Rypien go after guys because of a hit they made against one of our players or anything. It's the old ''ya wanna go?'' ''ya lets go, good luck bud'' sort of by appointment fighting. I'm a fighter you're a fighter so lets fight!

To me there's no difference between Rypiens fights and Hordichuks. I could be wrong, if people have examples of Rypien responding to something by fighting I'd like to see it. Most of his fights are against other designated fighters, in the middleweight division for the most part. Usually they happen right off faceoffs or find each other and go just like the typical goon/enforcer.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Nope - Kabalarian.
Hahaha, I have actually cracked TWO Kabalarian jokes today. Must be something in the air...

Anyways, I think this is a six of one, half dozen of another sort of situation. The Canucks look better by trading a player that they were not going to play this year, meanwhile the Panthers are free to do with Hordichuk as they please. Additionally, it allows the Vancouver Canucks, if I'm not mistaken, to recall him without waivers for the games when a goon is necessary.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:24 PM
orcatown

Quote:
By staged I mean that they aren't based on any event during the game. I haven't seen Rypien go after guys because of a hit they made against one of our players or anything. It's the old ''ya wanna go?'' ''ya lets go, good luck bud'' sort of by appointment fighting. I'm a fighter you're a fighter so lets fight!

To me there's no difference between Rypiens fights and Hordichuks. I could be wrong, if people have examples of Rypien responding to something by fighting I'd like to see it. Most of his fights are against other designated fighters, in the middleweight division for the most part. Usually they happen right off faceoffs or find each other and go just like the typical goon/enforcer.
Dead on descritption

You see Parros and Hordichuk almost preparing in the pre-game warm-up.

Their fights had little to do with the game and at the end they kind of laugh and jaw a bit. In a way they justify each other's existence in the League

As far as Peters goes he is the ideal 13th forward. Sits in the press box most of the time but can be added when toughness is needed. (like when teams play the eq Lot better than sitting out someone who could be developing in the minors or who ewill get frustrated with the role. peters knows his role and openly accepts it

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:25 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Their hoping they got them both in the leg

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:34 PM
orcatown

Quote:

Dead on description

You could see Parros and Hordichuk almost preparing for their scrape in the pre-game warm-up.

Their fights had little to do with the game and at the end they kind of laugh and jaw a bit. In a way they justify each other's existence in the League. What I noticed was that Hordichuk had certain partners he went with and others he mostly avoided.

As far as Peters goes he is the ideal 13th forward. Sits in the press box most of the time but can be added when toughness is needed. (like when teams play the equally ineffective Ivanians, Belak, Parros, McGratton etc..) Lot better than sitting out someone who could be developing in the minors or who will get frustrated with the role. Peters knows his role and openly accepts it. Even if does play he will get little time and you will just add some moments to someone like Malhotra or Torres.

Peters adds a needed element to the lineup that was missing. He's there as option when needed.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
By staged I mean that they aren't based on any event during the game.
There really don't seem to be many "real" fights anymore that aren't staged the way you describe. Even the pathetic butt twiddle that passed as "retribution" on Cooke for the Savard hit stank of staging.

Need more gratuitous and unexpected spilling of blood....!

Need more guys going ape **** on each other...!

Old
10-06-2010, 10:49 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Dead on descritption

You see Parros and Hordichuk almost preparing in the pre-game warm-up.

Their fights had little to do with the game and at the end they kind of laugh and jaw a bit. In a way they justify each other's existence in the League

As far as Peters goes he is the ideal 13th forward. Sits in the press box most of the time but can be added when toughness is needed. (like when teams play the eq Lot better than sitting out someone who could be developing in the minors or who ewill get frustrated with the role. peters knows his role and openly accepts it
To add to your point, Parros and Hordichuk had 8 fights in the two years Hordichuk was here.

Old
10-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I'll go one step further. He's the perfect "14th forward" who's left in the AHL until needed (against certain teams that have a goon or two in their lineup) given his two-way deal.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:09 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 634
my only question now is with SOB and Darcy---who are the tough guys coming off the bench

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Matchstick

hmmm good trade, will he grow on the fans like Gino did?

will he finally score a goal and have a epileptic celebration on the ice?

Matchstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:13 AM
David71

now with sob/hordichuk gone, vancouver doesnt havta worry about killing penalties alot this year. which is good for manny,kes,burrows etc. they'd be fresh for 5on5 play. The question is vancouver lost some muscle, whose willing to drop the gloves with the boogards/orrs/ etc. don't say rypien/glass they are suitable for the middleweights only.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:17 AM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
my only question now is with SOB and Darcy---who are the tough guys coming off the bench
A better question is who are the knuckleheads who are going to be in the box watching Bieksa flop around on the PK. It remains to be seen if the AHL line can play a physical but smart game, but as of now it looks like a more disciplined line-up.
Interested to see if Alberts is able to stay out of the box.
I think Desbiens is almost as tough as Hordi, and Rypien, Glass, Bolduc, Torres, and Bieksa will all fight.
And SOB honestly didn't provide much in the way of toughness. I don't think anyone was too worried about him on the ice - Andrew Ladd certainly wasn't too afraid of him last year.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:18 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
now with sob/hordichuk gone, vancouver doesnt havta worry about killing penalties alot this year. which is good for manny,kes,burrows etc. they'd be fresh for 5on5 play. The question is vancouver lost some muscle, whose willing to drop the gloves with the boogards/orrs/ etc. don't say rypien/glass they are suitable for the middleweights only.
The answer to that question is nobody. Odds are teams will see our roster and decide that a heavyweight who is only going to play 3 shifts is pointless. They'll probably go with their most skilled line-up.

We play the Rangers once and the Leafs twice so all we have to do is survive the 12 minutes Boogaard and Orr play combined and we'll be fine. It's not like Boogaard will be running around trying to take out knees and heads 6 times a year anymore. I doubt Calgary uses a spot on Ivanans, Avs will sit Kocci and so on.

Old
10-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:

This is true, particularly for his tilts with Stortini and Prust, but I've seen Rypien get into more "spontaneous" fights...Hal Gill, Boris Valabik, Clune last year in the playoffs.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote