HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

On Christensen....

Old
10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
BlueHavok

vCash: 500
On Christensen....

Let me start by saying this thread is an attempt to illustrate why EC belongs on the top line. I know that for the most part, having drafted poorly in years past and missed out on some key centers, we as Ranger fans want nothing more than to see a successful, home-schooled drafted center to click and remain on the first line. Stepan's Cinderella story this preseason has most of us pining for this guy to stay on the first line and become a force in the NHL.

Although he's likely on his way there, lets not be hasty and overlook what EC brings to the top line. EC not only has chemistry with Gabby, but seems to be a natural playmaker. Whereas even a traffic cone gets points playing between good players, I think EC's game comes to life particularly when playing with top scorers. He's got hands and great vision and a nice scoring touch. He's a rather stealthy skater complemented by some speed. Not to mention he's rather good on face-offs.

To get the most from Gabby and Frolov, I'd like to see the season start with EC as the first line center---he will be undoubtedly effective there. Stepan should center the second, but likely third line until he gets a full NHL season under his belt. I think Stepan may be the Gezlaf-like center we've been missing, but dont think he will flourish if he gets too much too soon, not matter how eager and enthusiastic he is. He's gonna stay here, in the NHL....lets take the final measures to make sure he's all that he can be.

And the most important point----EC, being arguably an offensive catalyst enhancer for gabby and frolov, is almost COMPLETELY ineffective when playing at any other spot or position. He's ONLY an asset when playing as first line center.....when he's not, he's soft and invisible.

on that note---- EC's downside is his softness. Ok, he's not a banger----but he is good in the corners and and his stick handling, IMO, keeps him, for the most part, away from physical scrums to recover the puck. He's too busy passing.

EC now, Stepan soon, but later.

Frolov - Christensen - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Cally
Avery - Stepan - Fedetenko
Boogaard - Boyle - Prust

i have no idea what to do when Drury and Prospal get back.....we need to see more.

Ok thats it........btw is comparing Stapan to Getzlaf fair? I think so.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Ke11y96

Your views on Christensen are fair, but I think it is incredibly easy to knock Christensen off his game. He is creative and skilled without question, but I think he's like you said soft, and will not work for his points. I think Stepan's work ethic out does Christensen's I mean do you think Christensen would have scored the shorthanded goal Stepan did against Ottawa in game 1? There are a million guys that can be "skilled" or "fancy" with the puck, but intelligence and work ethic I think suit today's NHL game better. I would much rather have Stepan over Christensen.

In terms of comparing Stepan to Getzlaf I don't see that, I think both guys are natural leaders, but Getzlaf has a nasty edge to his game, and can stick handle right up there will some of the best in the league. I said this months ago that Stepan is Paul Stastny version 2.0 very similar in terms of built, stats, and overall play. will he have the early success that Stastny did? Maybe if he's the top center here, but he's not going to be overly physical, and like Stastny not the best feet or quickness, but ridiculously smart, and skilled as we've seen with his passing and laser shot last night.

IMO all Christensen should be doing until Drury comes back is increasing his value for a trade, or a waiver pick up. I don't think he's apart of the future here in NY, and honestly I'm sure Torts is just waiting to pass over him. I remember when Torts this summer was on MSG for an interview with Maloney and another guy he said that Christensen his playing for one game then disappearing for 3, which we can't have. So far thats what I've seen from him this Pre-season great that one game in detroit, and lack luster in others.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I agree entirely with the OP

Except about comparing him to Getz, who is one of the best skaters in the league.

I think Stastny a lot when I see him play.

Last edited by Fitzy: 10-03-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:46 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Good post. +1

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:05 AM
BlueHavok

Stastny....yes yes. Better comparison. Duly noted.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Let me start by saying this thread is an attempt to illustrate why EC belongs on the top line. I know that for the most part, having drafted poorly in years past and missed out on some key centers, we as Ranger fans want nothing more than to see a successful, home-schooled drafted center to click and remain on the first line. Stepan's Cinderella story this preseason has most of us pining for this guy to stay on the first line and become a force in the NHL.

Although he's likely on his way there, lets not be hasty and overlook what EC brings to the top line. EC not only has chemistry with Gabby, but seems to be a natural playmaker. Whereas even a traffic cone gets points playing between good players, I think EC's game comes to life particularly when playing with top scorers. He's got hands and great vision and a nice scoring touch. He's a rather stealthy skater complemented by some speed. Not to mention he's rather good on face-offs.

To get the most from Gabby and Frolov, I'd like to see the season start with EC as the first line center---he will be undoubtedly effective there. Stepan should center the second, but likely third line until he gets a full NHL season under his belt. I think Stepan may be the Gezlaf-like center we've been missing, but dont think he will flourish if he gets too much too soon, not matter how eager and enthusiastic he is. He's gonna stay here, in the NHL....lets take the final measures to make sure he's all that he can be.

And the most important point----EC, being arguably an offensive catalyst enhancer for gabby and frolov, is almost COMPLETELY ineffective when playing at any other spot or position. He's ONLY an asset when playing as first line center.....when he's not, he's soft and invisible.

on that note---- EC's downside is his softness. Ok, he's not a banger----but he is good in the corners and and his stick handling, IMO, keeps him, for the most part, away from physical scrums to recover the puck. He's too busy passing.

Boogaard - Boyle - Prust

i have no idea what to do when Drury and Prospal get back.....we need to see more.

I completely agree with this post, EC should start on the top line and Stepan should not be rushed into that role, it will be his in time. I prefer we avoid doing to him what we did to Manny Malhotra, even though Stepan has way more offensive ability than Malhotra, there is no need to rush him to be the 1st line center and put up 1st line numbers. EC is a stop gap and he needs to be on the top line for starters.

When Prospal and Drury come back I see both of them on the wing provided we are healthy. If Fedetenko slows down which could obviously happen I see avery to the RW and Prospal or Drury on the left. Boogard can obviously sit against certain teams and avery can be pushed down to 4th line.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I agree entirely with the OP

Except about comparing him to Getz, who is one of the best skaters in the league.

I think Stastny a lot when I see him play.
Quote:
Stastny....yes yes. Better comparison. Duly noted.
Did you guys ever see Mike Ridley play? Stepan kinda reminds me of him.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Rangers44*

If Christensen does not produce close to a point per game on the top line after let's say 10 games (and I believe he will not) then just get rid of him.

He never really impressed me too much and lacks veratility and grit.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:24 AM
ThirdEye

Haha, I don't think he's similar to Getzlaf at all, but maybe that's just me

Paul Stastny? Maybe. I haven't really watched him enough

People compared him to Pavelski before, but I honestly think he's more skilled than him.\

edit: I just realized this thread is about Christensen haha. I'm open to Christensen being the top line center. If he can prove he belongs there then great, but I really don't think he'll stick for any length of time. I'm actually a fan of his game, but in some ways he reminds me of Marcel Hossa. Someone who will impress you throughout the season but when you look at his overall production at the end you go... huh, that's it?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:25 AM
alkurtz

Hands...yes. Vision...yes. Touch...yes.

But the problem is that he is often totally invisible on the ice....doesn't assert himself or his abilities......has no "push" to his game. Sometimes he can disappear for games at a time. There's a reason he has already been on 4 teams. Teams seehis abilities, hope for more, but are in the long term disappointed and move him.

I wanted him resigned and am glad he is on the team. He can be a contributor to some degree. Put to ask him to be a # 1 center is simply asking to much. If he plays between Gabby and Frolov all year, he might end us with, say 15 goals and 30 assists; not bad numbers all considered but it will be a "soft" 45 points. I think the Rangers can get the same production from Stepan. Stepan is certainly not ready to assume the role of being a #1 center yet, but as we are a marginal playoff team building towards the future, I rather see Stepan have the chance than EC. Not a knock on EC, just a recognition of the kind of player he has shown himself to be since he came into the league.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Cake or Death

Not really seeing what Christensen has done so far to warrant even being on the third line, let alone the first line. I think all of Anisimov, Stepan and Boyle have looked better thus far. And personally, I am not in the Stepan or Christensen at first line camp, I'd actually like to see what Anisimov looks like in that spot. Stepan and Boyle at 2 and 3 center, and Boyle back to line 4 when Drury returns. The OP said:

Quote:
EC, being arguably an offensive catalyst enhancer for gabby and frolov, is almost COMPLETELY ineffective when playing at any other spot or position. He's ONLY an asset when playing as first line center.....when he's not, he's soft and invisible.
There is truth in that. Am I the only one that finds this level of limitation kind of terrifying?

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:18 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:

Boogaard - Boyle - Prust

Other than on shootouts, I'm not sure I really see too clearly the value EC brings. He has spurts of chemistry and then disappears into oblivion. Odd as it is, I actually have far more faith in Stepan's ability to be consistent than EC's. He's the odd man out, for sure.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
AXN

He is still a young player. It is his spot to lose. He does have the Chemistry with Gaborik and at this point it is whatever works.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

havent read this thread, dont have time at the moment...but i think EC didnt earn a spot this year..i thought he looked pretty damn pedestrian out there, only slightly better than Todd White....but thats just me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
He is still a young player. It is his spot to lose. He does have the Chemistry with Gaborik and at this point it is whatever works.
I thought he lost it when Anisimov, Stepan and Boyle outplayed him. And Christensen isn't exactly a kid. He'll be 27 in two months, and the three centers that outplayed him are all younger and have played a combined 190 NHL games to EC's 275. Christensen's entering his sixth season, he isn't exactly new and has definitely been given chances to play. But there's a reason he's played on 4 teams in 5 seasons.

Old
10-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
havent read this thread, dont have time at the moment...but i think EC didnt earn a spot this year..i thought he looked pretty damn pedestrian out there, only slightly better than Todd White....but thats just me.
I think White outplayed Christensen, but I want both cut or traded, I am tired of these inconsistant soft players.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I agree, but I think White may have been the slightly better of the two. EC = good hands but zero contact, which I think is the definition of a badminton player.

Old
10-03-2010, 09:32 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Hands...yes. Vision...yes. Touch...yes.

But the problem is that he is often totally invisible on the ice....doesn't assert himself or his abilities......has no "push" to his game. Sometimes he can disappear for games at a time. There's a reason he has already been on 4 teams. Teams seehis abilities, hope for more, but are in the long term disappointed and move him.

I wanted him resigned and am glad he is on the team. He can be a contributor to some degree. Put to ask him to be a # 1 center is simply asking to much. If he plays between Gabby and Frolov all year, he might end us with, say 15 goals and 30 assists; not bad numbers all considered but it will be a "soft" 45 points. I think the Rangers can get the same production from Stepan. Stepan is certainly not ready to assume the role of being a #1 center yet, but as we are a marginal playoff team building towards the future, I rather see Stepan have the chance than EC. Not a knock on EC, just a recognition of the kind of player he has shown himself to be since he came into the league.
I wanted Christensen signed as well. But I really did not expect Stepan to perform like he has during camp. I thought Del Zotto should have made the team at the end of camp last year. Stepan has impressed me even more. It just seemed like every time Stepan, Gaborik, and Frolov were out there, the Rangers were playing in the other team's zone. His wrist shot "top shelf" (on the assist by Biron) passed Leclaire in Ottawa put the icing on the cake for me.
I just think Stepan is stronger than EC, and will win more one on one battles. Both players have terrific wrist shots but as mentioned before, EC's consistency (or lack thereof) is why 3 other team's gave up on him. I'm not saying his career is over and I think he still (even yet) could be valuable to another team in need of a play making center. But I got Stepan and Anisimov 1 and 2, Drury at 3, and Boyle centering the fourth line. Not to mention Kennedy, Prospal and Dubinsky can all play that position.
IMO, Stepan in Hartford makes little sense. He will make his share of mistakes as a rookie but the upside of putting a full season behind him at the NHL level outweighs sending him down to play in the AHL.
The perfect prospect to compare him to (as far as who is, and isn't ready) is Grachev. Grachev at one time was the team's most highly rated prospect. It's easy to see now, (after watching these camps) which player is ready for the big stage and which player still has a lot to prove.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
hlundqvist30*

The fact that Christensen's production relies almost entirely on his linemates is a huge reason he's a liability. The best teams in the league are the ones who a versatile. Christensen should not be given the top line spot over Stepan simply because he needs Gaborik to succeed. That's crap.

Think about it, Erik Christensen has essentially made the Rangers by default. Todd White has been invisible, and Drury got injured. The only center prospect who had any shot of making the team out of training camp was Stepan. So who exactly has he had to beat for his roster spot? If we assume that Todd White doesn't make the team (Christensen isn't even guaranteed his spot over White yet) then we have Anisimov, Christensen, Stepan, Boyle, and Drury. Who is the odd man out once Drury comes back? If Stepan continues his play then he sure as hell isn't going to be sent down. Anisimov and Drury are basically locks to be in the lineup, and no way in hell is Christensen a 3rd or 4th line center. The only way I see Christensen getting legitimate playing time with the Rangers is if Stepan or Anisimov completely crap the bed or Boyle sucks and Drury is moved to the 4th line.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:31 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

a meaningful thread

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
The fact that Christensen's production relies almost entirely on his linemates is a huge reason he's a liability. The best teams in the league are the ones who a versatile. Christensen should not be given the top line spot over Stepan simply because he needs Gaborik to succeed. That's crap.

Think about it, Erik Christensen has essentially made the Rangers by default. Todd White has been invisible, and Drury got injured. The only center prospect who had any shot of making the team out of training camp was Stepan. So who exactly has he had to beat for his roster spot? If we assume that Todd White doesn't make the team (Christensen isn't even guaranteed his spot over White yet) then we have Anisimov, Christensen, Stepan, Boyle, and Drury. Who is the odd man out once Drury comes back? If Stepan continues his play then he sure as hell isn't going to be sent down. Anisimov and Drury are basically locks to be in the lineup, and no way in hell is Christensen a 3rd or 4th line center. The only way I see Christensen getting legitimate playing time with the Rangers is if Stepan or Anisimov completely crap the bed or Boyle sucks and Drury is moved to the 4th line.
They could move Christensen to the wing. That's why they tried it during the pre-season. The problem is that there aren't exactly a lot of wing spots either. Frolov, Dubinsky, Prospal, and Avery are all on the left. Gaborik, Callahan, Fedotenko, and Prust are on the right. Having centers Stepan, Anisimov, Drury, and Boyle leaves Boogard, Kennedy, and Christensen vying for two spare forward spots when everyone's healthy.

It's hard to justify Christensen's spot on this team if Stepan's strong play continues into the regular season.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:53 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Haha, I don't think he's similar to Getzlaf at all, but maybe that's just me

Paul Stastny? Maybe. I haven't really watched him enough

People compared him to Pavelski before, but I honestly think he's more skilled than him.\

edit: I just realized this thread is about Christensen haha. I'm open to Christensen being the top line center. If he can prove he belongs there then great, but I really don't think he'll stick for any length of time. I'm actually a fan of his game, but in some ways he reminds me of Marcel Hossa. Someone who will impress you throughout the season but when you look at his overall production at the end you go... huh, that's it?
Nah its not just you. Getzlaf can motor and hes friggin HUGE. Not to mention that his talent is just on another level.

I think Stastny and Pavelski are much better comparisons and those two are no slouches at all. Id be very pleased if he turned out as good as either of those two, as would 99% of this board.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
a meaningful thread
a meaningful post

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:04 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
They could move Christensen to the wing. That's why they tried it during the pre-season. The problem is that there aren't exactly a lot of wing spots either. Frolov, Dubinsky, Prospal, and Avery are all on the left. Gaborik, Callahan, Fedotenko, and Prust are on the right. Having centers Stepan, Anisimov, Drury, and Boyle leaves Boogard, Kennedy, and Christensen vying for two spare forward spots when everyone's healthy.

It's hard to justify Christensen's spot on this team if Stepan's strong play continues into the regular season.
And again, Christensen is literally worthless as a bottom 6 forward, regardless of center or wing. It's going to have to take a significant injury to a top-6 forward or Avery banging Mrs. Tortorella for Christensen to really get a spot on this team. If a center goes down, then Dubinsky or Prospal can easily fill in. If a winger goes down, then Byers or Weise can fill in. It's going to take a drastic meltdown or injury from one of our top 6 forwards to get a long-term spot on this team.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If EC turned out to be as good as Stastny or Pavelski I'd be his biggest fan.

Right now though I just don't really see it and would much rather see Stepan learning the ins and outs of the NHL next to Gaborik and Frolov.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote