HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone else worried about Doughty?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
  #1
Brad Doty
Moderator
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 13,908
vCash: 500
Is anyone else worried about Doughty?

...because so far, he's been playing like he did last year's first game vs. Phoenix...sloppy and below average defensively. Granted, I've only seen two preseason games (and yes, they're PREseason, so I don't want to read too much into it), but in both, he's coughed up the puck in ugly places and just generally looks like he's TRYING to make the highlight reel plays instead of just being solid.

I'm sure he'll pull it together at some point, but he looks like he has no focus out there right now.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
  #2
sweatypickle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
nah...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
  #3
Brad Doty
Moderator
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 13,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
nah...
Fair enough I'm probably overthinking it. Probably hard to get up for essentially meaningless games. I just see bad habits.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:43 PM
  #4
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,364
vCash: 500
I'm not worried but I don't think he had the best preseason either.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
  #5
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,077
vCash: 500
Doughty who? Jack's the superstar now

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
  #6
JMFJ 3
Registered User
 
JMFJ 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: French Polynesia
Posts: 4,770
vCash: 500
Overreaction thread is overreaction

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:47 PM
  #7
KingsFan7824
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
because so far, he's been playing like he did last year's first game vs. Phoenix
What happened after that?

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
  #8
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,624
vCash: 500
I am.

He has HUGE expectations on him.

And I know he's a confident kid who's handles pressure well, but I'm wondering if his accolades have made him too confident, possibly arrogant.

I think he'll be fine long term, but this season concerns me a bit.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
  #9
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 33,318
vCash: 500
Drew's first game against Phoenix last season was quite possibly the worst game he ever played in the NHL, yet he still managed to score 2 points in that loss. His first month and his play in December was spotty, but he turned it on after that. Just observe his game log from last season, http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4472/gamelog

I wouldn't be too concerned over his preseason play.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
  #10
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I wouldn't say i'm worried about him.

That happens if everyone tells you, as 19 year old kid, you are a hockey god.
I said last season Johnson outplayed him since olympic break.
And he will continue that until Doughty is matured.
Johnson is a couple of years older and his body grew into the style he is playing.
That was the main reason of Johnsons poor performance.

But there is absolutely nothing to worrie about.
Johnson and Doughty will be elite defender.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
  #11
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Pre-season Bruhhh

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:11 PM
  #12
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,077
vCash: 500
I say we trade him, we should be able to get atleast a 5th rounder for him.

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
  #13
triplcrown
Registered User
 
triplcrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF Valley, SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Maybe Jack is just a better player.

Maybe DD just isn't really that good.


































Nah.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
  #14
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
The penalties have me worried. He has been hanging Mitchell out to dry. I think its half cockiness and half Murray's new system.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
  #15
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Josh Deitell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Better now than in the regular season. Keep in mind that he's adjusting to a new defensive partner who plays a much different style of game than Scuderi, who literally just sat back the entire game covering Doughty's ass. Mitchell is actually capable of starting a breakout, which means that Doughty needs to figure out how to be the defensively-responsible defenseman during the breakout from time to time.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
  #16
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 33,318
vCash: 500
Here are the preseason stats,
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/stats/LA/preseason

And penalty minute stats,
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/s...son/PEN/yearly

Drew led the team with nine minor penalties during the preseason. I'm sure shoddy officiating had something to do with this as well.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
  #17
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Better now than in the regular season. Keep in mind that he's adjusting to a new defensive partner who plays a much different style of game than Scuderi, who literally just sat back the entire game covering Doughty's ass. Mitchell is actually capable of starting a breakout, which means that Doughty needs to figure out how to be the defensively-responsible defenseman during the breakout from time to time.
And now Johnson is getting that treament, which is already looking like a really kickass decisionn as far as letting Jack contribute more offensivley.

Doughty's a gamer, he'll un**** himself when it counts. Of that I have no doubt.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
  #18
wicker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
What Doughty is going through/experiencing is a melting pot product that consists of: a new system, new partner, much brighter spotlight on him, an increase in confidence/his abilities, and more trash talking from the opposing team before/during the game. Once he learns how to keep his cool and manage everything that is going on around him in a smarter manner, then he's golden. He'll get his *hit together, of that I have no doubt, but it might be a bumpy ride in the meanwhile.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
  #19
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here are the preseason stats,
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/stats/LA/preseason

And penalty minute stats,
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/s...son/PEN/yearly

Drew led the team with nine minor penalties during the preseason. I'm sure shoddy officiating had something to do with this as well.
I saw a lot of them with my own eyes and Drew deserved them. Behind the play and coming into scrums late and over aggressively to make up for being late to the play.

He will turn it around at some point, and perhaps he just doesn't take the preseason that seriously, which is kind of annoying if true.

I will say I spoke to someone from Kings' management a few weeks ago who insinuated that there is concern about Drew "believing his own hype" as they say. Its hard to tell if that is what we are seeing now or if he is just not as focused because there are no stakes for him or the team yet. His conditioning coming into camp is also a bit disconcerting.

That said, I have full faith in him to have a great season. Whether this one will be Norris worthy or not...

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:44 PM
  #20
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
What Doughty is going through/experiencing is a melting pot product that consists of: a new system, new partner, much brighter spotlight on him, an increase in confidence/his abilities, and more trash talking from the opposing team before/during the game. Once he learns how to keep his cool and manage everything that is going on around him in a smarter manner, then he's golden. He'll get his *hit together, of that I have no doubt, but it might be a bumpy ride in the meanwhile.
Well said.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
  #21
wicker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I saw a lot of them with my own eyes and Drew deserved them. Behind the play and coming into scrums late and over aggressively to make up for being late to the play.

He will turn it around at some point, and perhaps he just doesn't take the preseason that seriously, which is kind of annoying if true.

I will say I spoke to someone from Kings' management a few weeks ago who insinuated that there is concern about Drew "believing his own hype" as they say. Its hard to tell if that is what we are seeing now or if he is just not as focused because there are no stakes for him or the team yet. His conditioning coming into camp is also a bit disconcerting.

That said, I have full faith in him to have a great season. Whether this one will be Norris worthy or not...
Since the Olympics, he's been getting insane publicity, and much of it is very deserved. However, I can definitely see the downside of him getting too much recognition in such a short period of time, and I'm glad that management has an inkling of what might be going on inside his head. I think he's going to be having some nice, intimate conversations with Lomardi and co. in the not-so-distant future...

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
  #22
Haik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,228
vCash: 500
I've only seen two live games and to me it seems like he just doesn't care too much about preseason. He'll get his act together soon enough and there's no doughty about it..

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:20 PM
  #23
kingdoughty
Registered User
 
kingdoughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
nobody cares about preseason

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
  #24
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 500
I'm not too concerned, especially after the horrible game he had to start the regular season last year. Sitting at that game, if anyone told me he would be a Norris candidate that year, I would have laughed.

That being said, he needs to be careful w/ the penalties. I'd say 2 of the penalties in Frozen Fury was due to JJ pinching on the PP when he wasn't supposed to be, leaving Drew back there leading to an odd man rush resulting in him taking the penalties.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
  #25
Rob Zepp
Registered User
 
Rob Zepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoughty View Post
nobody cares about preseason
Not a Flames fan I see.....

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.