HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Finger & The Bonus Cushion

Old
10-07-2010, 10:39 AM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
The bonus topic has already been covered in this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=825937

The Leafs have a max of 5.12 million in potential bonuses currently on there roster.

Bozak makes up 2.85 of those potential bonuses. But realistically will only make .85 million of that as 2 million of it is only if he wins a major award (which there is no chance he is going to win a trophy like the Hart, Selke, etc.)

Schenn makes up 2.1 million of those potential bonuses. We don't know what his bonus breakdown is but I think it safe to say that a large portion of it is also if he wins a major award which he won't. So lets say he is realistically eligible for 1 million of those bonuses.

Gunnarson makes up 0.17 million of those potenial bonuses. I doubt his bonus structure even includes a major award bonus. I'm betting he could actually potential earn the full 0.17

So if these 3 guys play well your looking at bonuses of:

Bozak: 0.85 million
Schenn: 1 million
Gunnarson: 0.17 million
Total Potential Bonuses: 2.02 Million
Still computes with 600K of space to another 1.4 million dollar penalty...why the Leafs would risk that is beyond me...better to tidy up the books and have maximum flexibility moving forward.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Courage*

I think this is the filthiest thread title I've read here in a long time.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So on emergency recall can you call up a player from the minors without going through waivers?
As per this report .. Yes

Quote:
Emergency Recall

The NHL permits each team to carry up to 23 players on its active roster, subject to the constraints of the salary cap. However, it also requires a minimum of 2 goaltenders, 6 defenceman and 12 forwards on its active roster at all times. A player is not considered on the active roster if they have been placed on the Injured Reserve List or are suspended by the NHL.

If the team falls below any of these minimum categories, they are permitted to recall a player without subjection to waivers in order to meet the NHL minimum roster requirements. However, the player must be returned to the affiliate when the player he is replacing returns from their inactive status.
Waivers 101: A Guide to the NHL Waiver Rules

Full waiver Rules explained: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
But will there be a bonus carry-over penalty from 2010/11, like this year?

Leafs got hammered down 1.4 off the cap - tough for a 29th place team.
Yes, teams will be able to carry-over bonus money onto next year's cap, but won't be able to do it in 2011/12, unless by some miracle, a new CBA is agreed to before then - which is highly unlikely at this point.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Still computes with 600K of space to another 1.4 million dollar penalty...why the Leafs would risk that is beyond me...better to tidy up the books and have maximum flexibility moving forward.
According to capgeek the Leafs have just a hair under 800,000 in remaining cap space. But that number is actually closer to the 1.3 to 1.5 million area because the Leafs currently have 24 guys on the roster and still need to cut one guy to get down to the 23 man max.

I am far from a big Jeff Finger fan but it is a little premature to just bury the guy in the minors when the Leafs have 1.3 to 1.5 million to work with plus there is potential for other moves throughout the season like a Kaberle trade, Giggy trade, etc. If Burke has to bury Finger to improve the team I don't think he'll hesitate to do it.

Giving Finger away on re-entry waivers also doesn't make any sense to me. Because the Leafs would be paying him half his salary 1.75 million which will count against their cap to play for someone else. Then they would still have to find somebody to take his spot on the roster which for arguments sake lets say would cost 1.75 million. And 1.75 million doesn't buy much in the UFA D market. You'd most likely end up with a player worse than Finger.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Jordan

Should be noted that Cap Geek no longer displays the Leafs as having a $1.4 million bonus penalty from last year.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Evileye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
In a non-salary cap game, i would have no problem with that. But at 3.5 million/year he was brought in to do more than be the 7th D-man who block a lot of shots in the few games he plays. If he took up less cap space, I'd love to have the guy around.

It's not his fault (Flecther ) but the team has holes that need to be filled and having that much cap space in the press box will make it harder to fix.
Actually, it partly is his fault. I'm sure Fletcher didn't volunteer the higher money, it was asked for. (and given) Players have to realize that you ask for big money, you need to earn it or you find yourself in a position of being capable of playing in the NHL but no teams wants you because you're not earning your cap hit. Its not just about being good enough anymore, you have to be as good as your cap hit.
So by all means hold out for what you feel you are worth, just play up to it.

Evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileye View Post
Actually, it partly is his fault. I'm sure Fletcher didn't volunteer the higher money, it was asked for. (and given) Players have to realize that you ask for big money, you need to earn it or you find yourself in a position of being capable of playing in the NHL but no teams wants you because you're not earning your cap hit. Its not just about being good enough anymore, you have to be as good as your cap hit.
So by all means hold out for what you feel you are worth, just play up to it.
Fair point. But I'd be hard pressed to turn down that kind of money and I think we all would as well.

Maybe he didn't want to play here and threw out a huge number, not expecting them to accept it. Then he had the "What, they said yes!?" moment.

I do agree that when he signed that deal, he was expected to do more. That money comes with the expectation of being more than a 6-7th D-man. And yes he has not played up to that level.

Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Should be noted that Cap Geek no longer displays the Leafs as having a $1.4 million bonus penalty from last year.
Yes they do. It's on their Salary Chart. You're looking at their Daily Totals. They switched over and are going to update the cap hits daily.

This number has been confirmed by the Leafs Organization. Jeff Mirtle for the Globe and Mail came over to this board the other day and verified this for us.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:43 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Yes they do. It's on their Salary Chart. You're looking at their Daily Totals. They switched over and are going to update the cap hits daily.

This number has been confirmed by the Leafs Organization. Jeff Mirtle for the Globe and Mail came over to this board the other day and verified this for us.
Dion Phaneuf $34+ K per day - kinda puts it in perspective - that's about what my brother-in-law makes a year.

Jeff Finger 18+ K to do what he does - just wow.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote