HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators to finish 7th

Old
10-07-2010, 12:50 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Senators to finish 7th

They predicted us to finish 7th in the Eastern Conference. Not great, but making the playoffs is our goal.

Video's on TSN.ca

PS; Montreal just misses the playoffs (9th)..I only watched those 2 videos, not sure about the other 4 canadian teams

(Sorry if this was already posted somewhere)

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:57 AM
L'Aveuglette
Beef-mode activated

vCash: 1000
I was happy with their ranking, as I would predict about the same position. The other canadian teams did not fare well, as only Vancouver was slotted to be in the postseason along with Ottawa.

Guess we are getting some respect after all...

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:58 AM
bdp

vCash: 500
Spot on.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:03 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Spot on.
I agree.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Ouroboros

vCash: 1076
Well that's nice to know. Who's our first round opponent and when do playoff tickets go on sale?

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:26 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
sounds about right. I'd add +4 and -2 on that as our range.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:29 AM
SilverSeven

still see us between four and six with an outside shot at third.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:47 AM
kyle747

Honestly? With our goaltending, how can you be sure ?

If we get excellent goaltending the sky is the limit, but if we get what we saw in preseason it will be a struggle.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:54 AM
ShotDownCrosby

I still see us sitting 6-8th. So that seems bang on.

I mean, if our goaltending is stellar all year, I could see us winning the division. BUT I don't see that happening. But we made it last year, with that same tandem in net.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:11 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Honestly? With our goaltending, how can you be sure ?

If we get excellent goaltending the sky is the limit, but if we get what we saw in preseason it will be a struggle.
See, our goaltending has almost always been crap. People always point to our goaltending as why we will miss the playoffs. The only time we did miss, the goalies were far from the only reason.

Honestly, even if our goaltending is as crappy as last year and we have the 3rd worst goaltending, i still think our skaters have improved, making the team overall,better. We should own the puck a lot more this year.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Minister of Offence

Their preview of our team was actually very positive in comparison to other teams considering they had us at 7th. We're probably around 5th but given goaltending concerns right now you just can't justify it.

Ferraro admitted to being completely fooled by the Sens with his 11th place prediction last year. Said he thinks Kovalev and Michalek could jump production and Ottawa could be dangerous if so. MacT loved the Gonchar acquisition and thinks the powerplay is going to be a shooting gallery for guys like Kovy and Alfie. Pierre called for Karlsson and Foligno to break out.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Chito

Of course there is merit to mentioning the goaltending issue. But didn't both teams in the finals last year have relatively inexperienced goaltenders? One of them didn't even get renewed. The goaltender largely responsible for bringing the canadiens to the conference final is also gone from the team. It is a concern but I really don't think goaltending has as much impact these days as most people see it. A good defence, meaning one that involved all 5 players helping out, could easily compensate for a not so good goalie.

Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chito View Post
Of course there is merit to mentioning the goaltending issue. But didn't both teams in the finals last year have relatively inexperienced goaltenders? One of them didn't even get renewed. The goaltender largely responsible for bringing the canadiens to the conference final is also gone from the team. It is a concern but I really don't think goaltending has as much impact these days as most people see it. A good defence, meaning one that involved all 5 players helping out, could easily compensate for a not so good goalie.
The difference is, those goalies played well enough at the time, which allowed those teams to have success. We don't need our goalies to play like Henrik Lundquist to be successful, but they sure as hell can't play like they have in the preseason and expect this team to be successful.

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Chito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
The difference is, those goalies played well enough at the time, which allowed those teams to have success. We don't need our goalies to play like Henrik Lundquist to be successful, but they sure as hell can't play like they have in the preseason and expect this team to be successful.
Both goaltenders though have their moments and we just have to hope that those "moments" come in bunches. Although I'd rather see one of them screw up so Lehner can be brought up. I still believe he is a better option than the 2 we have.

Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chito View Post
The concern is that we haven't seen one of them play adequately yet this pre-season. We've seen they can be adequate to great in stretches and far from adequate in others...if your goalie isn't adequate it means your losing plain and simple. For the team we have, which is a decent ones, at least one of our goalies has a lot to prove going forward.

The 7th place ranking to me said this, "Well your team is pretty good and could compete for your division but goaltending is an important variable that could keep you out of the playoffs. Because it's unfair to put this team out of the playoffs and on the other hand unfair to dismiss the goaltending uncertainty, we'll put you in the middle at 7th.

Lots to prove, but waiting til the games start to count is the right way to go. Completely different mentality going into those games, but no one knows for sure.

I thought the optimism from the panel was really fresh, only complaint was goaltending which is fair. It'd be a good time for the franchise to find their goalie for the next 15 years...cross your fingers cuz Lehner could get a shot early.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Das Boot
Jajajaja

vCash: 50
Division is ours, hands down.

Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:48 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. Flyers
5. New Jersey
6. Buffalo
7. Ottawa
8. Tampa Bay
12. Atlanta
13. Toronto
14. Florida
15. Islanders

Per TSN

Oh no...Pens first round ...AGAIN!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:16 PM
SensFan26

Don't really agree with any of TSN's rankings but meh. Decent I guess.

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The concern is that we haven't seen one of them play adequately yet this pre-season. We've seen they can be adequate to great in stretches and far from adequate in others...if your goalie isn't adequate it means your losing plain and simple. For the team we have, which is a decent ones, at least one of our goalies has a lot to prove going forward.

The 7th place ranking to me said this, "Well your team is pretty good and could compete for your division but goaltending is an important variable that could keep you out of the playoffs. Because it's unfair to put this team out of the playoffs and on the other hand unfair to dismiss the goaltending uncertainty, we'll put you in the middle at 7th.

Lots to prove, but waiting til the games start to count is the right way to go. Completely different mentality going into those games, but no one knows for sure.

I thought the optimism from the panel was really fresh, only complaint was goaltending which is fair. It'd be a good time for the franchise to find their goalie for the next 15 years...cross your fingers cuz Lehner could get a shot early.
This is how I understood what was said on TSN as well. Goaltending & injuries will basically be the big question marks on this team likely all year. I assume that the goalies will play well enough to keep us in games & allow our skill to win enough games. Murray & CC will have to make a decision sometime in the New Year if our goalies haven't already made that decision for him to bring up one of Lehner or Brodeur to see where their games are at in comparison to Leclaire & Elliott. If one of these four guys can prove they are a #1 goalie I imagine that CC will run with him for the remainder of the season & into the playoffs. If not, than Murray will have to make a deadline deal for a goalie.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
This is how I understood what was said on TSN as well. Goaltending & injuries will basically be the big question marks on this team likely all year. I assume that the goalies will play well enough to keep us in games & allow our skill to win enough games. Murray & CC will have to make a decision sometime in the New Year if our goalies haven't already made that decision for him to bring up one of Lehner or Brodeur to see where their games are at in comparison to Leclaire & Elliott. If one of these four guys can prove they are a #1 goalie I imagine that CC will run with him for the remainder of the season & into the playoffs. If not, than Murray will have to make a deadline deal for a goalie.
There is no chance that brodeur will become our number one goalie. Everyone is a little to high on this guy after playing a couple games last year. Sure he played great but lets be serious, he is in the AHL for a reason. He won't even get the chance to play a game this year. We all know that Lehnar will be our first call up if necessary. If it goes beyond that and we need to find another one because the first 3 didn't play well, then we will be so far out of the playoffs that it won't even matter.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

vCash: 1000
I kind of agree. :/

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:19 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
There is no chance that brodeur will become our number one goalie. Everyone is a little to high on this guy after playing a couple games last year. Sure he played great but lets be serious, he is in the AHL for a reason. He won't even get the chance to play a game this year. We all know that Lehnar will be our first call up if necessary. If it goes beyond that and we need to find another one because the first 3 didn't play well, then we will be so far out of the playoffs that it won't even matter.
My point is that they may give him a chance & maybe before Lehner just because of what he did last yr & because he was sick during the preseason they may feel they owe him. I never said he would be the #1 goalie, I said they would give them a chance to see where their game is at only if both Leclaire & Elliott are still both playing crappy. I think they will do this before looking to make a trade. We don't all know that Lehner will be the first callup, you don't know ****, you are guessing like the rest of us. Learn to read tabernacle.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

I expect the Sens to finish 4th. With the division locked up. Why? Even with below average goaltending we should still be a playoff team, meaning 8th/7th. But...If our goaltending continues to struggle, i expect Murray to make a move for a goalie, hence pushing us even higher in the standings and finishing 4th-5th.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:01 PM
tony d
Follow your Nose

Somewhere between 3rd and 7th is where I have this team. Though I do think they'll finish 3rd.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
My point is that they may give him a chance & maybe before Lehner just because of what he did last yr & because he was sick during the preseason they may feel they owe him. I never said he would be the #1 goalie, I said they would give them a chance to see where their game is at only if both Leclaire & Elliott are still both playing crappy. I think they will do this before looking to make a trade. We don't all know that Lehner will be the first callup, you don't know ****, you are guessing like the rest of us. Learn to read tabernacle.
I really think whoever is playing better in Bingo is going to get the call-up in case of injury or suckiness in Ottawa. If Brodeur is lights out and better than Lehner then he will get the call.

Maybe if Brodeur and Lehner are playing well we can send Elliott and Leclaire to the minors and call both up both.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote