HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is this a penalty?

Old
10-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Triple Deke

vCash: 500
Played hockey last night and got sent off for hooking opponents stick (with puck).
I was backchecking, and opponent was loading up for a shot. So from behind him, I reached out (blade turned over) and hooked at the heel of his stick blade. He didn't get shot off, and we battled for the puck right after.
Ref told me that once my blade was turned over, it constituted a hooking call.
Does that make sense to you guys?

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:35 PM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Deke View Post
Played hockey last night and got sent off for hooking opponents stick (with puck).
I was backchecking, and opponent was loading up for a shot. So from behind him, I reached out (blade turned over) and hooked at the heel of his stick blade. He didn't get shot off, and we battled for the puck right after.
Ref told me that once my blade was turned over, it constituted a hooking call.
Does that make sense to you guys?
Hockey Canada's standard of play is pretty clear. Using the stick to impede a player's progress or limit his ability to play the puck, make or receive a pass, or shoot the puck is a penalty. It doesn't get called all the time - a lot of officials seem to think stick-on-stick fouls aren't worth calling - but that doesn't negate the fact that it is, by the standard, a penalty. You can momentarily lift the stick to strip away the puck, but if you lock on, and the action of locking on interferes with the other player, you are at a risk of getting a call. What I see is a player goes to lift a stick, and the shaft of the checked player's stick is locked by the blade of the checker. The result is the checked player winds up losing balance or losing the ability to make a play on the puck - usually you'll see the checked' player's arms and torso are twisted. It's hook and on-the-ball referees will pick it up.

So yes, turning your stick blade over is going to get you in trouble.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
SJGoalie32

That's about the standard I've seen called and enforced over the years.

Stick lifting (near or away from the puck) is okay. Trapping the stick (against the boards, ice, leg, etc.) gets called a penalty.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
You call a hooking penalty when a player hooks a stick? Because it takes away a scoring chance? Seriously? That's called playing defense.

Again people. I'll just say this to make it crystal clear. Stick on stick contact is legal under any circumstance as long as you don't break a player's stick or knock the stick out of his hands. Say it with me now. Stick on stick contact is legal under any circumstance as long as you don't break a player's stick or knock the stick out of his hands.

Some of this stuff in this thread is just mind-boggling.
Speaking of mind boggling.... your grasp of the rules is way off

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Lario Melieux*

Can someone please explain to me how stick on stick can impede a player's progress? Because that seems to be the sticking point here.

If a player has both hands on the stick, blade on the ice, and he's skating towards a loose puck... and you come over and press his stick... do you think he's just going to keep his stick on the ice and keep moving his legs? No, he's not. That would look goofy as hell. He's going to bring his stick off the ice and move it out from under yours.

If a player has both hands on the stick and his skating/gliding with his stick a foot of the ice, and you hook his stick, is he going to turn his whole body with his stick? No, he's going to move his stick to get it away from yours and continue skating/gliding.

So what is the confusion here?

Last edited by Lario Melieux*: 10-12-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Speaking of mind boggling.... your grasp of the rules is way off
Between watching and playing, I've probably seen a thousand hooking penalties. I can't recall one of them being stick on stick hooking. Can you recall any from playing or watching?

Old
10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Between watching and playing, I've probably seen a thousand hooking penalties. I can't recall one of them being stick on stick hooking. Can you recall any from playing or watching?
Yes, its called under USA hockey rules in my area all the time. I've been called for it even playing defense in front of the net when I've "latched" onto another stick with mine and held it in the air in a way that he cannot use it.

A quick lift, ok, a continued multi-second hook up with sticks is hooking.

Also, in the original situation what is being lost is the OP is the third man into a play. He can most definitely be near enough to stick check someone, but still not be in any position to play the puck. That is the key, if you're solely playing the body of an opposing player that is involved in play with another, you're not playing the puck yourself and are impeding his ability to do so.

When you do this 1 on 1 and are fighting for the puck yourself, its ok. But to come in and hook or impede anothers ability to play the puck while not being in the play yourself is interference.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:41 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Ryan Smyth just got called for one tonight, granted, it was close to the hands, but it was definitely stick on stick.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:43 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Just because you play and watch, doesn't mean you grasp the rules, Current men's league, out of approx, 1000 players, maybe 10 have a complete grasp of the rules, maybe.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Gino 14

Quote:

Your recall, or selective recall, doesn't change the fact that it is a rule under USAH.

Old
10-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Just because you play and watch, doesn't mean you grasp the rules, Current men's league, out of approx, 1000 players, maybe 10 have a complete grasp of the rules, maybe.
How very true.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
I may not fully "grasp" the rules, but I've played enough AA and AAA travel, Quad A high school, and a few years of ACHA (as well as men's league lol) to have a pretty good idea of what is or isn't allowed. Maybe it is in fact a rule, but referees just don't call it.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Quote:
I may not fully "grasp" the rules, but I've played enough AA and AAA travel, Quad A high school, and a few years of club hockey (as well as men's league lol) to be shocked that so many people are saying that stick on stick is a penalty.

Maybe it's different for different levels of play, but again, I've can't ever recall seeing it in 20 years of playing and 15 years of watching.
The new standards of play came into effect in 2006 with Hockey Canada. I've called stick-on-stick hooks maybe 10-15 times in the past four seasons. It's not a common call, primarily because hooking a player's stick and knocking him off balance isn't an easy thing to do. But it happens and it gets called.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Ryan Smyth just got called for one tonight, granted, it was close to the hands, but it was definitely stick on stick.
The ref had to have thought he got glove then because under NHL rules any stick on stick is allowed.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHateHe View Post
The new standards of play came into effect in 2006 with Hockey Canada. I've called stick-on-stick hooks maybe 10-15 times in the past four seasons. It's not a common call, primarily because hooking a player's stick and knocking him off balance isn't an easy thing to do. But it happens and it gets called.
Yeah I would think that a player who is getting his stick hooked wouldn't necessarily tense up and keep his stick tied up with another player (I mean if they're away from the play, not battling for a puck). It's just normal to slide the stick away from the other guy so you can get freed up.

Old
10-14-2010, 05:06 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Maybe it is in fact a rule, but referees just don't call it.
Really? I guess all those calls for this I've seen have been phantoms.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote