HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Fan Culture vs. European Fan Culture

Old
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

vCash: 500
Lies!

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
bam09

Honestly there is no comparison. I mean, I've been to a few Liverpool FC games, and the atmosphere is just unreal. It's singing for basically 90 minutes, and for anyone to say "the singing is because they aren't watching the game" is simply clueless, as the "oohs" and "ayyyy" still cut the song when they're needed. It's a lot of fun singing the songs that make your pitch/building unique, and not having the same old "go ____ go/let's go ____"

The whole point of the chanting and flags(which at a football match are only out pre-match) is to lift the team. The whole culture here is backwards, as when the home team goes down 4-1 or whatever, you start to see the building empty, and boos insue. What good is that going to do for team? In Europe, good fans(not the fickle Chelsea bunch or whatever) stay and sing louder and prouder and give their team the lift that they need.

Before anyone rips on me, NHL games are a ton of fun, and I'd never miss a chance to see one, but the atmosphere is night and day compared to what you get across the pond.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

Imagine 17,000 doing this before game 7.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
Canadians just don't have the time or inclination to learn chants or expend energy chanting constantly. It's just not part of our culture. Honestly, we're trying to watch the game. Can you please be quiet. Do you realize how important this is??
I don't know if the last bit was sarcastic, but the chants can be picked up on in 30 seconds. Most of them are based on the chorus of familiar tunes, with about 4 lines to them each.

Like one of Gerrard's is
"Ste Gerrard, Gerrard
He'll pass you the ball 40 yards
He's big and he's ****ing hard
Ste Gerrard, Gerrard"

and the other is

"Steven Gerrard is our captain
Steven Gerrard is a red
Steven Gerrard plays for Liverpool
A scouser born and bread

du dudu du du du dudu..." - to that song whistled in Robin Hood

They are so simple, and those Gerrard ones are about as difficult as it gets for a player.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

A friend of mine went of exchange in Sweden for year. I asked him what was the differences in hockey culture. What he told he its like comparing Canadian and American. Similar but yet little things are vastly different.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Lui One Hall

"bu-but they are not following the play"

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:11 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Ya I'm pretty glad we don't have the European crap over here. The ole ole ole garbage is bad enough.
Weird, "ole ole crap" is what made me a Habs supporter. Montreal has the only arena that doesn't sound like cemetery to me. But, hey, I'm European.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:12 PM
petr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
I find that European sports fans aren't as interested in the game, they're more interested in singing and chanting than watching what's happening on the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
when its quiet that means everyone is watching and paying very close attention

Last edited by petr86: 10-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.
petr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
NHL fan support was made from and is for the actual sport of hockey , it seems they (european teams) adapted how soccer/football supporting is supposed to work with the cheering/singing during the whole game for there hockey clubs , but hockey is a much too fast paced game for that and takes away from seeing game changing plays on the ice. It also takes away from people paying attention , when its quiet that means everyone is watching and paying very close attention because they understand how the mechanics of this game works. (testament to this is all the helmets i saw people wearing in the crowd during the games in europe)
I've heard that a few times now and I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion. Just because soccer is the most popular sport doesn't mean that it's the model for anything. Fans chant and sing because they support their team, regardless of whether it is soccer, hockey, basketball or handball. Nothing whatsoever hints at soccer being the origin of this support. Just because some people have only seen European soccer and thus refer to this type of support as "soccer crowd" doesn't mean that it has anything to do with it.

No, hockey is certainly not too fast for this kind of support. Not only does chanting and singing depend on the flow and actions of the game, it doesn't take away your attention from the game.

The idea that someone understands the game and pays close attention to it just because he's quiet is really outlandish. Those things have nothing to do with each other.

I have never seen anyone in the crowd wearing helmets here in Europe. The only ones who did where photographers between the two player-benches, and they very much have a reason for it.

Really, it's not that hard of a concept, and it's just fine if you prefer it differently, but stop making up stuff that is flat out wrong.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
You can't really say "european fans are racist" though, in football there's a lot of problems with people heckling black players (meanwhile if they play for their team it's alright), but this is all in southern Europe (Italy etc.), I've never heard about any serious racist incidents in northern european sports, let alone at a hockey game in general, from the crowd.

In the end, I don't see why it has to be a "which is better", can't we just realise that the fan cultures are different, does one thing have to rule out the other? As long as you care about your team, it'll show.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
GermanNuck

okay let me sum this up:

NA fans are lazy, and they spend too much money for watching the games, they eat all the time, and they get annoyed by almost everything that could distract them from the game for a second..

Europeans are basically drunk all the time, they're not watching the game because they chant, they're racists, they're soccer fans who somehow missed the exit to the soccer arena and made their way to the hockey rink, and yea they're just horrible, horrible people..

sorry guys, this won't lead to anything. different cultures, different mentalities , then again it's quite entertaining i've been living in canada for a few years, and i love both cultures!

back watching VAN - CBJ

Last edited by GermanNuck: 10-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.
GermanNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

One thing I've noticed is that North Americans seem a hell of a lot more obsessed with completely superfluous statistics than Europeans do. Baseball's the prime example, but most statistics in hockey are meaningless too.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:47 PM
ukrleaf

"You only chew when you're winning, you only chew when you're winning"

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
syc

I love watching the EU fans on TV but it would drive me nuts if I had to sit in the stands with them.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
I love watching the EU fans on TV but it would drive me nuts if I had to sit in the stands with them.
I've sat in the stands at a couple of socc-

football matches in England, and the crowd was great. The atmosphere at the Stalybridge Celtic-Hyde FC match I want to was awesome. That's right, division 6. Still fun.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
I've sat in the stands at a couple of socc-

football matches in England, and the crowd was great. The atmosphere at the Stalybridge Celtic-Hyde FC match I want to was awesome. That's right, division 6. Still fun.
This comes down to the nice feature that most of the soccer and ice-hockey leagues use in Europe, the chance of promotion/relegation. This means that the fans have "more pride" towards their local team, wheter it plays in the top division or somewhere lower, instead of just picking a team that plays on the top (although this happens also)

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Schalkenullvier*

I love that the players come into the stands after the games, at least in soccer. Always makes for huge enjoyment.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
This comes down to the nice feature that most of the soccer and ice-hockey leagues use in Europe, the chance of promotion/relegation. This means that the fans have "more pride" towards their local team, wheter it plays in the top division or somewhere lower, instead of just picking a team that plays on the top (although this happens also)

This is something that also separates Euro and NA sport, the fact that the teams that finishes last place faces a risk of playing in a lower league next season. For example, instead of getting a 1st overall pick, the Oilers would have played in AHL this year, and whoever won the AHL could have played in NHL this season.

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:01 PM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
I like European way more. So much more fun.

If I wanted to just watch the game I'd stay home and watch it on TV?

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Hanji

Fan culture is boring for professional sports in North America. College athletics is different though. Student sections can be compared to a Euro team's Ultras.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:57 PM
DarkReign

Culture wars continue. Some people like the Euro style, some people prefer the NA style.

God forbid people just mind their own business.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Muuri

It would be awesome if NHL had a the chance of promotion/relegation.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
It would be awesome if NHL had a the chance of promotion/relegation.
Yes it would, but it will never happen unfortunately.

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Reynaldo28

Just a question for those North Americans who don't like the European style (Not hating, a serious question). You say you wouldn't like to have all the singing and dancing because you'd rather sit back and watch the game. However, the amount of vendors walking round in NHL rinks along with those who stand up and turn round to wave at the camera is ridiculous, do they not in a weird kind of way equal out a section of the crowd singing and dancing?

Reynaldo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post

my spine is tingling every time I hear that, although I'm not a Liverpool fan.

Hockey is such an exciting sport to watch, why should the fans be boring?
You answer your own question. We are watching the game not there to party

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote