HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nail Yakupov - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Wassup

vCash: 500
Nail Yakupov

Firstly, it is pronounced "Naheel" for those who don't know.

Secondly, I've been hearing from analysts and "experts" that this guy is Crosby/Ovechkin standard coming out of Junior Hockey, so I wanted to know, has anyone seen him play in person? Is he really that brilliant for this draft to be considered the "Nail Yakupov Sweepstakes"?

Old
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
I'm amazed that there isn't already a thread on him. Where's deanyoungblood?
I'm here!

But as others have said, there are several Nail Yakupov threads out there. Quick search using the "google" search bar above right will bring you to them.

To quickly answer your question, Nail Yakupov isn't in the Ovechkin/Crosby territory but he should be considered among the Kanes and Stamkos' as he's had similar impacts in junior hockey.

Read more in the other threads.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:34 AM
puckrocks

That's for sure.

Old
11-14-2011, 06:16 AM
JetsAlternate

Don't Know Enough About Nail Yakupov Yet? This Will Bring You Up to Speed.

With Nail Yakupov gaining so much attention as the next great NHL superstar, it's surprising that the general public still doesn't know very much about him yet. He has been compared to Alex Ovechkin and Pavel Bure, but not many people have seen video evidence of this yet to confirm their beliefs; until now, there hasn't been a single highlight reel online that showcases everything he has to offer, from his approach to the game, his personality, as well as his skill set and what he is capable of on the ice.

Is he really the next Russian Rocket? Not enough people know yet who he really is based on the information available online. We've heard that that may be the case, but only people in the Sarnia area or those who follow the OHL closely would know. As a result, I decided to put together a 10-minute highlight reel of his goals, assists and plays with the Sarnia Sting from both last year and this year, so that everybody can find out who he is and what he's all about. I have also incorporated an interview done with him by TV Cogeco that showcases his personality and how he has adapted to life in Canada -- no music, just raw footage (with commentary) taken from TV Cogeco's game archive.

The video also features some of Alex Galchenyuk's plays to prove that he's no slouch either. In fact, the two work with each other so well, I'd argue the two are like Bure and Mogilny. These two are going to be NHL superstars in the future. Get to know a bit more about their game from the video below. It's exciting stuff, so please enjoy.

(Also, for those of you who don't want to withstand some sort of techno and poorly-resized footage just to learn about Yakupov -- you know what I mean -- this is for you.)

*see it in full screen on YouTube. There are some 16:9 clips, which fool the embedding system into thinking the entire clip is in 16:9 format.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 11-14-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old
11-14-2011, 06:25 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Is he really the next Russian Rocket? [/I]
No.

IMO won't even reach Crosby or Ovechkin levels. Those were special *cough*tank*cough* situations that let an elite prospect fell ass-backwards into a near-perfect situation.

Applaud it or laud it... so goes parity.

Old
11-14-2011, 06:30 AM
BLBarmada

IMO he's the best 1st pick since Tavares or Stamkos.

Hes not Ovie, but he's going to be a 50 goal scorer.

Old
11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
luki here

looks to be booked by the blue jackets.

Old
11-14-2011, 07:02 AM
SidGenoMario

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
No.

IMO won't even reach Crosby or Ovechkin levels. Those were special *cough*tank*cough* situations that let an elite prospect fell ass-backwards into a near-perfect situation.

Tanking for a 30 team draft lottery that you have a 15% chance of winning, that may or may not take place a year or more in the future. Sounds like a great plan!

Old
11-14-2011, 07:12 AM
First Ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
IMO he's the best 1st pick since Tavares or Stamkos.

Hes not Ovie, but he's going to be a 50 goal scorer.
Wouldn't that make him better than Ovie?

Old
11-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Passchendaele

Quote:
No.

Wait, are you actually saying that Bure > Crosby and Ovechkin?
`

Old
11-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Wait, are you actually saying that Bure > Crosby and Ovechkin?
`
Yeah I don't understand that post either.

Bure was never the top player in the league at any point in his career. Most exciting? Probably.

Crosby and OV are better.

Old
11-14-2011, 07:24 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
I was kind of hoping for an article.

Also for some reason I am having problems with the volume being too low (even though I turned it up) at some points...this happens occasionally with internet vids.

Old
11-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Green Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
Yeah I don't understand that post either.

Bure was never the top player in the league at any point in his career. Most exciting? Probably.

Crosby and OV are better.
Bure was at the beginning of the 2000s a superstar, one of the top players in NHL, he score 59 goals and 58 goals back to back seasons in the grab and hack era, none of the other player in the league got 50 goals! but Bure was closing in the 60 goals department back then.

Old
11-14-2011, 07:49 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

kid looks 25

Old
11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Bure

Great video jets!

Old
11-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Roulin

Great video! Both players look unbelievable, hopefully Galchenyuk's development doesn't suffer too much from the missed year. Definitely appreciate the lack of techno, Jets!

Old
11-14-2011, 02:14 PM
HTT3*

He's the type of player Red Wings would find and draft in the 6th or 7th round because nobody's ever heard of him. Too bad he was already discovered.

Old
11-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Maybe a lottery team even considers dropping their 2013 1st in order to make that happen, might have to put a cherry on top to convince.
Washington?

Colorado just needs to suck... Washington drops their first and second and Boston's 2nd to get to like 15...

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Laich
Kuznetsov-Galchenyuk/Johansson-Yakupov
Eakin-Johansson/Galchenyuk-Ward
Chimera-Perreault-Halpern

I'm running out of roster spots to put good players (Semin would probably leave under these conditions, EDIT: Heck reading now I didn't even put in Brouwer), but I'm drooling. Please don't interrupt my dreams that have like 0.000005% chance of happening.

Imagine the power play.

Old
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
No.

The year Crosby was drafted, the lockout wiped out the entire season leading up to the draft, so nobody could have tanked for him directly. Also, the lottery was weighted differently that year, so even the previous year's cellar team had a much lower chance of getting the first overall pick than in other years.

Crosby and Ovechkin are better players than Bure was. Bure was a better natural goal scorer than either of them, but both play better all-around games than Bure did.

Old
11-15-2011, 06:52 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawyer345 View Post
Firstly, it is pronounced "Naheel" for those who don't know.
At the end of the video I posted, he says his name for the camera. He pronounces his name "Nail", which indicates he has decided to go with that pronunciation now.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Biggiemac95*

He Yakupov a natural right winger or a left winger? And also what type of player is he? Pure sniper?

Old
11-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Biggiemac95*

Is Yakupov a natural right winger or left winger?

Old
11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Grigo25*

I really think Grigo is the better NHL prospect. Yakupov too cute for my liking

Old
11-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
At the end of the video I posted, he says his name for the camera. He pronounces his name "Nail", which indicates he has decided to go with that pronunciation now.
I don't know about other languages, but in Russian it's just pronounced Nail'[Nael'] , with a soft L. There is no H or anything, would sound kind of weird in Russian.

I went to see him at the Mississauga game on Sunday. No less impressive than any other of his games. His goal was a nice powerful shot. He got the star of the game with 1+2 that wasn't a surpise at all. Everything else is the same- great skating, passing, vision. He was first Forward back at least 50% of the time.

Surprising there were a lot of casual fans who knew a few of Mississauga guys, but had no idea who Yakupov was. I was a bit stunned. It was also a pretty empty stadium...

This one guy kept going on about Domi, but when I asked him what he thinks about Yakupov, he said.. "who?!". My friend and I just chuckled

Old
11-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I don't know about other languages, but in Russian it's just pronounced Nail'[Nael'] , with a soft L. There is no H or anything, would sound kind of weird in Russian.
It seems like you don't know how to transcribe words for pronunciation. What you posted is not helpful to English speakers at all. Nah-eel or Na-eel or any variation on that (like say ŋai:l) is pretty close to how his name is pronounced. The 'h', for the record, would be silent — just like when someone says "Naaah", it's not like they pronounce the 'h'.

Either way it's a moot point since it seems like Nail himself adopted the simple 'nail' pronunciation, likely to make it easier for all the people here.

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-15-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Closed Thread