HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is this a penalty?

Old
10-07-2010, 06:07 AM
NJDwoot

vCash: 500
Is this a penalty?

OK so interferance seems to be a really vague rule and I'm wondering if this would fall under it... or any other rule.

Say a guy from my team is going for the puck along with a guy from the oposing team. I'm close but not going to make it so to help my team mate, I use my stick to pull away the oposing players stick.. not out of his hands, but basically hindering his ability to get the puck before my team mate.

Is this ok or not?

Thanks

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:03 AM
alexthekidd

vCash: 50
I'm sure that would be a penalty, but looking through the rule book, I can't seem to find a distinct category it comes under.

Last edited by alexthekidd: 10-07-2010 at 07:09 AM.
alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:04 AM
alexthekidd

vCash: 50
Whoops, Double.

alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post
...basically hindering his ability to get the puck before my team mate.
= the essence of interference

You can only try to beat him to the puck.

Last edited by Nbr-17: 10-07-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:23 AM
NJDwoot

OK. But if it is 1 on 1, I can stick check the other player and it will be fine?

Old
10-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
= the essence of interference

You can only try to beat him to the puck.
This is my thought but I am still always confused by interference (non)calls half the time. It's not really a case in most of the leagues we probably play in (assuming we mostly play in non-contact leagues). A lot of times in the NHL, when you see two players skating for a loose puck, the two will push and shove each other a lot, likely knocking one off balance, and the one who did knock him off the puck gets the puck and skates away. Playing physically like that as you skate to the puck when neither of you have it would hinder his ability to get the puck. But, that's never called as interference. Is there some exception to the rule or something?

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:06 AM
bkhockey18

Quote:
OK so interferance seems to be a really vague rule and I'm wondering if this would fall under it... or any other rule.

Say a guy from my team is going for the puck along with a guy from the oposing team. I'm close but not going to make it so to help my team mate, I use my stick to pull away the oposing players stick.. not out of his hands, but basically hindering his ability to get the puck before my team mate.

Is this ok or not?

Thanks
As I understand it, interference is typically called when there is obvious "obstruction to or hindering" the chances of a player to get to the puck.....so if player A has the puck and player B (his teammate) blatantly " interferes with an opposing players chances of getting to the puck, then this is considered a penalty....now this is all dependent on the ref...as we all know. Another more obvious interference call is Player B is accepting a pass from player A and opposing player knocks player B away from the puck before he gets it.....more obvious interference there.
All-in-all, most calls are discretionary at best, some players even get called more often considering their reputation, like #22 on our team.

bkhockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:25 AM
DJnet65

Per USA Hockey Rulebook

Rule 621 Interference

(a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes
with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in
possession of the puck, or who deliberately knocks a stick
out of an opponent’s hand or who prevents a player who has
dropped his stick or any other piece of equipment from
regaining possession of it or who knocks or shoots any
abandoned or broken stick or illegal puck or other debris
2009-11 Official Rules of Ice Hockey 77
Interference
towards an opposing puck carrier in a manner that could
cause him to be distracted. (See also Rule 636, Throwing
Stick.)

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
ponder

For my entire hockey career I've always lifted opposing players sticks with my stick A LOT, whether they're on or off the puck, and I don't think it's ever once been called a penalty, at any level. Lifting it too high can turn into a high sticking penalty, slashing it is slashing, holding it with your hand is holding the stick, but I'm pretty sure it's fine in all situations to simply give the opposing player's stick a slight lift with your stick.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Yes it is

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I don't see how this is a penalty at all. If you're close enough to lift the players stick than you're close enough to be "in the race" for the puck. If it were just you and the opponent and you were going to be beat to the puck but were close enough to stick check him, you would. I don't see how anything changes just because you have another teammate going into the corner with you. As long as you're talking about lifting his stick with your own stick, I don't see how this can be a penalty. Obviously, you're not lifting the guys stick 20 feet away from the puck so I fail to see how this could ever be called. If you're close enough to stick check him you are clearly close enough to make a play.

Basically, if you were going in one on one with the guy and he was beating you to the puck but you could get your stick on his, you would stick check him as soon as he got close to the puck, tie him up and than battle for possession. Adding another teammate on your side doesn't change that equation at all for me.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
Per USA Hockey Rulebook

Rule 621 Interference

(a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes
with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in
possession of the puck, or who deliberately knocks a stick
out of an opponent’s hand or who prevents a player who has
dropped his stick or any other piece of equipment from
regaining possession of it or who knocks or shoots any
abandoned or broken stick or illegal puck or other debris
2009-11 Official Rules of Ice Hockey 77
Interference
towards an opposing puck carrier in a manner that could
cause him to be distracted. (See also Rule 636, Throwing
Stick.)
You're not impeding his progress or knocking his stick out of his hand. Nor are you preventing him from recovering his equipment or shooting any debris that is on the ice. Stick checking him is not impeding his progress or interfering with him; it's a normal hockey play whenever there is a chase for a loose puck. Having another teammate from your side involved in the chase does not change that. If you are close enough to the opponent that you can make a stick check as he arrives at the puck than you are close enough to be deemed "in the play" and there is no reason this would ever be called interference.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:28 PM
ponder

Seriously though, is lifting the stick EVER a penalty? I'm not talking about slashing the stick, or hooking the guy high around the gloves, or lifting the stick too high and ending up high sticking someone, or grabbing their stick with your hand, or interfering with your body while lifting the stick, or tripping the guy while lifting his stick, or any other obviously penalty. I'm just talking about giving your opponents stick a quick lift about a foot off the ice with your own stick. Because I've probably done this thousands of times, at a bunch of different levels, in every situation imaginable, and never once has it been called a penalty. I'm pretty sure it's completely legal.

Old
10-07-2010, 02:33 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
This is my thought but I am still always confused by interference (non)calls half the time. It's not really a case in most of the leagues we probably play in (assuming we mostly play in non-contact leagues). A lot of times in the NHL, when you see two players skating for a loose puck, the two will push and shove each other a lot, likely knocking one off balance, and the one who did knock him off the puck gets the puck and skates away. Playing physically like that as you skate to the puck when neither of you have it would hinder his ability to get the puck. But, that's never called as interference. Is there some exception to the rule or something?
When two players are in a race for a loose puck, and it's an even race with both players skating side by side in the same direction (neither one has position on the other), it's fine to use your body, it's really the only situation where you can hit someone who doesn't have the puck (other than clearing away the guy who is screening your goalie, which I don't think is technically legal, but in practice you can do whatever you want as long as you don't get *TOO* violent). Of course in non contact leagues you might get called if you give a good lean into a guy when you're both going for the puck, but in contact hockey it's legal.

Old
10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Lifting someone's stick, or tying up their stick with your stick, unless you are slashing them, or knocking it out of their hands, is NEVER a penalty. Ever. I have never been called for a penalty in that situation. I stick check people all over the ice if I think the puck might be coming to them, or when moving towards a puck. It is called playing smart hockey. If that is called a penalty, the guy reffing the game should take a puck off his butt.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:38 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Seriously though, is lifting the stick EVER a penalty? I'm not talking about slashing the stick, or hooking the guy high around the gloves, or lifting the stick too high and ending up high sticking someone, or grabbing their stick with your hand, or interfering with your body while lifting the stick, or tripping the guy while lifting his stick, or any other obviously penalty. I'm just talking about giving your opponents stick a quick lift about a foot off the ice with your own stick. Because I've probably done this thousands of times, at a bunch of different levels, in every situation imaginable, and never once has it been called a penalty. I'm pretty sure it's completely legal.
No, stick lifting is not a penalty. Reread the original post, it doesn't sound like just a stick lift, it sounds like a hook/interference.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
No, stick lifting is not a penalty. Reread the original post, it doesn't sound like just a stick lift, it sounds like a hook/interference.
There is no penalty for "hooking" someone's stick. You have to hook their body somewhere. Likewise, there is no penalty for tying up someone's stick, unless you grab it, or slash it. Have you EVER seen that called in the NHL? I sure haven't, and it happens twenty times in a normal shift.

Old
10-07-2010, 02:57 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I got one story. I would say about 4 or 5 years ago when I first started playing Beer league I was playing D and a guy got behind me I caught up to him at about my blueline. I was at the end of a way to long shift and was completely gassed. I lifted his stick then started coasting. I was slightly behind him to where I could lift his stick but not smack the puck away. I just kept lifting his stick right on until we got to the goalie.

I got a hooking call for it. When I asked to ref about it he said there was a time limit you could lift someone's stick. You have to lift then take the puck. Whether this is true or not I really have no idea. It does make sense to me though. But I imagine the play looked really awkward.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:03 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
There is no penalty for "hooking" someone's stick. You have to hook their body somewhere. Likewise, there is no penalty for tying up someone's stick, unless you grab it, or slash it. Have you EVER seen that called in the NHL? I sure haven't, and it happens twenty times in a normal shift.
In USAhockey you cannot come down on someone's stick or pull their stick away, it's hooking because it's considered impeding a player with your stick. A stick lift is ok but they'll call it if it's sustained contact with the stick because you're not trying to play the puck.

In the NHL, it explicitly states that stick to stick contact is not hooking. I doubt the person asking the question plays in the NHL.

Old
10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
In USAhockey you cannot come down on someone's stick or pull their stick away, it's hooking because it's considered impeding a player with your stick. A stick lift is ok but they'll call it if it's sustained contact with the stick because you're not trying to play the puck.

In the NHL, it explicitly states that stick to stick contact is not hooking. I doubt the person asking the question plays in the NHL.
Played and coached under USA hockey rules for 20 years now. Never seen that called. Not a single time, ever, and I've seen some real ********* refs too.

Old
10-07-2010, 07:41 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Played and coached under USA hockey rules for 20 years now. Never seen that called. Not a single time, ever, and I've seen some real ********* refs too.
Considering it wasn't part of the rules until USA hockey and the NHL changed the rules, that's not surprising you didn't see it in your first 15 years. When they did the rule change I saw it all the time for the first couple of months, then (like the NHL) refs stopped calling those stupid ass obstruction calls.

Old
10-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Considering it wasn't part of the rules until USA hockey and the NHL changed the rules, that's not surprising you didn't see it in your first 15 years. When they did the rule change I saw it all the time for the first couple of months, then (like the NHL) refs stopped calling those stupid ass obstruction calls.
I did take a little time off, right around five years ago. Thank God I missed that. Would have driven my blood pressure through the roof.

Old
10-07-2010, 10:10 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
I did take a little time off, right around five years ago. Thank God I missed that. Would have driven my blood pressure through the roof.
You have NO IDEA, it was horrible. Imagine the soft calls in the NHL but with non-pro refs.

Old
10-08-2010, 01:22 AM
NJDwoot

Ok - maybe some more details would help.
I suppose I am close enough to be in the play
I AM pressing down on his stick... but not for any significant period of time... like just enough to confuse the guy and allow my team mate to get the puck.

While writing this I took a min. and googled "stick press" and this is what came up

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...F_07&id=196290

QUESTION #1
I have been looking all throughout my training manuals and rulebooks for the definition of a Stick press and whether this is legal in USA Hockey rules.
Can you explain this to me please?
Thank you,
ANSWER #1
The definition of a "Stick Press' was addressed back in September, 2006 in an e-mail, sent to all registered USA Hockey officials, which covered several different topics involving the 'Standard of Play Initiative'. Here's an excerpt that explains the use of the stick and the 'Stick Press' from that clarification e-mail:

The use of the stick to lift an opponent’s stick and gain possession of the puck or prevent them from gaining possession of the puck is considered a good defensive play that should not be penalized. Lifting a non-puck carrier’s stick in a manner that does not impede their progress is also allowable under the rules. In addition, the use of the stick to check an opponent’s stick or press the opponent’s stick to the ice or boards is a good defensive play as long as it is done on the lower portion of the stick shaft and the intended purpose is to dislodge the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck.

Turning the stick blade over on top of the stick of an opponent for the purpose of pressing the stick and preventing the opponent from playing the puck is also allowable. If done, it must be on the lower portion of the stick and for the sole purpose of preventing the opponent from playing the puck. However, if done in a manner that impedes the progress of an opponent, or contact is made higher up on the stick, a penalty for hooking should be assessed.

Old
10-08-2010, 05:35 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Ok - maybe some more details would help.
I suppose I am close enough to be in the play
I AM pressing down on his stick... but not for any significant period of time... like just enough to confuse the guy and allow my team mate to get the puck.

While writing this I took a min. and googled "stick press" and this is what came up

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...F_07&id=196290

QUESTION #1
I have been looking all throughout my training manuals and rulebooks for the definition of a Stick press and whether this is legal in USA Hockey rules.
Can you explain this to me please?
Thank you,
ANSWER #1
The definition of a "Stick Press' was addressed back in September, 2006 in an e-mail, sent to all registered USA Hockey officials, which covered several different topics involving the 'Standard of Play Initiative'. Here's an excerpt that explains the use of the stick and the 'Stick Press' from that clarification e-mail:

The use of the stick to lift an opponent’s stick and gain possession of the puck or prevent them from gaining possession of the puck is considered a good defensive play that should not be penalized. Lifting a non-puck carrier’s stick in a manner that does not impede their progress is also allowable under the rules. In addition, the use of the stick to check an opponent’s stick or press the opponent’s stick to the ice or boards is a good defensive play as long as it is done on the lower portion of the stick shaft and the intended purpose is to dislodge the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck.

Turning the stick blade over on top of the stick of an opponent for the purpose of pressing the stick and preventing the opponent from playing the puck is also allowable. If done, it must be on the lower portion of the stick and for the sole purpose of preventing the opponent from playing the puck. However, if done in a manner that impedes the progress of an opponent, or contact is made higher up on the stick, a penalty for hooking should be assessed.
Which is pretty much dead on,

You can not turn your blade over to hook a stick away, you can use your stick to "press" down on their stick which would limit the movement of the stick and allow your teammate to get the puck,

Likewise, you can lift the player's stick in a stick check to get the puck, but you can not hold it up, think of it as a "pop" this way there is an extremely low risk of getting a penalty for "hooking"

Again, have to make sure you keep skating, as it's extremely easy to call a hooking call on these types of play if you coast and the other guy is skating, as your "lift" turns into a "hook" in about half a second as he is skating away, your stick ends up in his hands.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote