HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

The Cause And Effect

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2010, 12:36 PM
  #1
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch
 
McLovin25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
The Cause And Effect

By Naming the captains as follows

C-Thornton
A- Boyle
A- Marleau/ Clowe

the organization did two things.

They basically confirmed that Thornton will be resigned (as most knew) as what organization wants to have 3 cpatains in 3 years little own 4 captains in 4 years? Bank on Thornton returning next year.

The other thing they guranteed is that Clowe will NOT be traded this year. obviously having an A is too much for Marleau to handle on his own so giving Clowe an A takes some pressure off marleau. It also says alot about how much Leadership Clowe has in the room. I was actually quite surprised when i heard that the Sharks would be splitting an A between two players, neither of which were Pavelski. And honestly what better way to groom Pavelski into a captain then having him split an A with a former captain? And trust me Clowe will flourish under the A and set career highs, which will make Leaf fans come up with even more ridiculos proposals

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
  #2
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Im a big Clowe fan. I actually wish he would have gotten the A full time, or split it with Pavs.
I know Clowe has his doubters but, IMO would be happy to see clowe in a SJ uniform for a long time. The Playoff game agianst the Avs, where he was just a beast, and talking serious smack was just a perfect example of the type of intensity he can bring

As far as other (non-shark)fans speculating, it amazes me to read some of the stuff being said out there. Everything from JT being traded next off season, or being a lousy player, to reading about Clowe/Pavs being traded before the season starts...


Last edited by sjshrky27: 10-07-2010 at 01:34 PM.
sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:20 PM
  #3
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS
 
Chairman Mallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pacifica / Sec 202
Country: United States
Posts: 15,048
vCash: 500
I don't think many of us dislike Clowe or wanted him to be traded, it was more along the lines of if we need to acquire a D-man, Clowe is the only forward we have who was at least somewhat expendable and also has some kind of value worthy of getting quality back from the other team.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
  #4
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,438
vCash: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
I don't think many of us dislike Clowe or wanted him to be traded, it was more along the lines of if we need to acquire a D-man, Clowe is the only forward we have who was at least somewhat expendable and also has some kind of value worthy of getting quality back from the other team.
couldnt we get a better d-man for setoguchi (especially a younger one)? he didnt add as much as clowe did last year...

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
  #5
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
couldnt we get a better d-man for setoguchi (especially a younger one)? he didnt add as much as clowe did last year...
Yeah, he didn't last year. But he is still young. And I seriously doubt many would argue that Clowe has a higher ceiling than Seto does long-term.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
  #6
SactoShork
F This
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,543
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
I don't think many of us dislike Clowe or wanted him to be traded, it was more along the lines of if we need to acquire a D-man, Clowe is the only forward we have who was at least somewhat expendable and also has some kind of value worthy of getting quality back from the other team.
I think people like me, who are big fans of Clowe, zero in on the derogatory comments that people use to emphasize their points. A lot of speculation that began about who to trade for Defenseman X ended up being "Clowe is stupid and refuses to go to the front of the net like Holmstrom".

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:53 PM
  #7
vilpertti
Registered User
 
vilpertti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
couldnt we get a better d-man for setoguchi (especially a younger one)? he didnt add as much as clowe did last year...
The main thing with the trades would be making sure there's enough room under the cap to fit in the incoming player. Most quality D are quite expensive, and Seto's got a very cheap one year deal. The reasoning behind trading Clowe is that you can get more room under the cap while also offering an intriguing player, one that could realistically pry loose a quality D.

vilpertti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
  #8
BillR10
Registered User
 
BillR10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 430
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
The main thing with the trades would be making sure there's enough room under the cap to fit in the incoming player. Most quality D are quite expensive, and Seto's got a very cheap one year deal. The reasoning behind trading Clowe is that you can get more room under the cap while also offering an intriguing player, one that could realistically pry loose a quality D.
I disagree, while you are correct on the cap issue, people were saying clowe prior to niemi, nitty, and wallin signing. The reason people were saying clowe is we have alot of big forward prospects that can replace clowe down the road. We have no one that even remotely resembles seto.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:45 PM
  #9
Chaotic8
Boarding Major
 
Chaotic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 516
Pavelski is gonna get traded.....God I hope not.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM
  #10
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR10 View Post
I disagree, while you are correct on the cap issue, people were saying clowe prior to niemi, nitty, and wallin signing. The reason people were saying clowe is we have alot of big forward prospects that can replace clowe down the road. We have no one that even remotely resembles seto.
While I agree we don't have a lot of scoring wings who are fast in the system, Seto is more out of vogue in this system since he is not a help in puck possession, doesn't come back to set up the offense, isn't strong defensively or along the boards and doesn't carry the puck. He's a fast shooter always leaning to the offensive end. (That is not to insinate that speed isn't important) Clowe has so many more skills that are effective in the puck possession game versus Seto its not even a contest to me. But I respect many have a different point of view and this post wont convince you otherwise.

On point, I think the message sent is management is looking for committed athletes. Joe has shown that he could change his game to a physical one last season. He is a game changer. So is Clowe and Boyle. They all play with an edge when appropriate and can dial up the juice when the game is on the line. That's the leadership by example that is needed. Patty? I think its a reward for doing the right thing last year. He motivated himself to blow off the 'demotion' and have his best season ever. That too is leadership and a level of maturity that is important. I also think its not a bad thing having someone with Patty's calm demeanor as part of a leadership group that could tilt to overly assertive. Seems to me, he adds another balance point in the equation as well.

__________________
The Best Sports Team in the Bay Area for 20 Years
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
  #11
vilpertti
Registered User
 
vilpertti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR10 View Post
I disagree, while you are correct on the cap issue, people were saying clowe prior to niemi, nitty, and wallin signing. The reason people were saying clowe is we have alot of big forward prospects that can replace clowe down the road. We have no one that even remotely resembles seto.
They were saying that because everyone thought Setoguchi would be an around 3M cap hit and against that background it would've made alot of sense to trade Clowe. It always boils down to the cap hit.

vilpertti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
  #12
SactoShork
F This
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,543
vCash: 50
It is a bit ironic that the last time Jumbo earned a "C" he was traded while wearing it... but many of us seem to perceive it as an anchor in San Jose.

Just sayin.

But yeah... mark him down for another +3 years.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
  #13
DROPxTHExGLOVES*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
It doesn't matter who wears what letter on their sweater, come this time next year, the Sharks will only be dropping another bittersweet Pacific Division Champions banner because they will go belly up in the 1st round of the playoffs as a #4 seed.

DROPxTHExGLOVES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
  #14
SactoShork
F This
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,543
vCash: 50
That's the spirit!

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:02 PM
  #15
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Thornton was always extremely likely to be signed, not it is a virtual lock. Joe's mentioned that now it is all about winning a cup, hopefully his cap hit indicates that- but I have no problem paying him up to 7.5 if necessary, 6.5 would be awesome however.

I find Clowe getting an A surprising, but than again we need to remember that Clowe wore it at times last year, and McLellan seems to really like the way he raised his game. You have to think that this moves Clowe into the realm of extremely unlikely to be traded, joining Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Couture. Hopefully, Setoguchi is also included in that group.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:44 PM
  #16
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
how does having an A prevent him from being traded

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:46 PM
  #17
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
how does having an A prevent him from being traded
because it doesn't stand for alternate captain like boyle and marleau's does. It stands for "absolutely not going to be traded".

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:49 PM
  #18
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Pavelski is gonna get traded.....God I hope not.
I doubt it....but if the offer is a monster stud young defenseman.....that would be the ONLY thing I would consider. No picks, no packages of prospects. A big young defenseman.

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:51 PM
  #19
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I doubt it....but if the offer is a monster stud young defenseman.....that would be the ONLY thing I would consider. No picks, no packages of prospects. A big young defenseman.
bogo

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:31 PM
  #20
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers
 
SonomaShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I doubt it....but if the offer is a monster stud young defenseman.....that would be the ONLY thing I would consider. No picks, no packages of prospects. A big young defenseman.
With a nice cheap contract!

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:23 PM
  #21
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Pavelski is gonna get traded.....God I hope not.
I get accused of absurd statements but come on, Joe Freaking Pavelski is going to be traded simply because he's not wearing a C or A? Come on now.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:30 PM
  #22
Chaotic8
Boarding Major
 
Chaotic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I get accused of absurd statements but come on, Joe Freaking Pavelski is going to be traded simply because he's not wearing a C or A? Come on now.
Did I say, "because Pavs didn't get a letter, he's going to get traded." Nope, I believe I didn't, though it could be implied; regardless it's not my motivation. I did toss the idea out there because if this offseason has taught us one thing, ANYTHING is possible.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:39 PM
  #23
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Did I say, "because Pavs didn't get a letter, he's going to get traded." Nope, I believe I didn't, though it could be implied; regardless it's not my motivation. I did toss the idea out there because if this offseason has taught us one thing, ANYTHING is possible.
No, but you did you say Pavelski is going to get traded in a thread about coming to conclusions about how the Sharks feel about certain players and their future with the club based on who got the C and A's.

Yes ANYTHING is possible, but to the extent anyone is suggesting/implying/whatever that Pavelski is trade bait because he didn't get an A, IMHO, that would be ridiculous. Like I said, come on now.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
  #24
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns
 
SCinSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Rafael, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPxTHExGLOVES View Post
It doesn't matter who wears what letter on their sweater, come this time next year, the Sharks will only be dropping another bittersweet Pacific Division Champions banner because they will go belly up in the 1st round of the playoffs as a #4 seed.
How can the Sharks be the #4 seed if they win the Pacific?

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
  #25
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
How can the Sharks be the #4 seed if they win the Pacific?
I was about to ask him if he wanted to bet on that combination of events happening

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.