HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leetch Speaks

Old
10-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Leetch Speaks

Talks about the Redden situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot
Q:Wade Redden was sent to the minors. What do you think happened to his game?

A:Iím not sure why Reddenís play slipped compared to his years in Ottawa. But sometimes going to a new team and trying to live up to a contract causes a player to do things differently. That usually ends up with poor results and a loss of confidence, which can be really difficult to overcome. I hope he can find some enjoyment in the game again whether thatís in Hartford or someplace else. From the few times Iíve met him and from what Iíve heard, heís a good guy.
A little bit about what he's been up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot
Q:What have you been doing since you retired?

A:My kids, Jack 10, Riley, 7, and Sean, 5, have kept me very busy. At the end of my career, I would come home from the rink and be so tired I would not be able to be as involved as I would have liked to be. So itís been fun to be able to spend so much time with them and be able to help coach their teams.

Last year I started doing a few Ranger games on MSG ó the pre- and post-game shows and commentary between periods. Iíll do a few games this year as well. Iím also doing a some TV on NESN in Boston.

I watch hockey all the time anyway, so I donít mind talking about it. At some point, as the kids get older, it would be great to get back into hockey in some capacity .
Would hate to see him get involved with Boston, I think they need to find a spot for him in NY such a class act.

Read more:

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...dden/?src=tptw

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:51 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Read this earlier in the night.

Always good hearing from Leetch. I would love to see him rejoin the organization in some capacity, but I don't think that will happen until his kids are older and Sather is gone.

I also liked reading about what players he enjoys watching... no surprise that he likes watching Del Zotto.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

What about this on Torts?

Quote:
I think Torts has been great. He was an assistant while I was there and actually was head coach for a few games. I liked his direct approach. His style of play is fun for most players. I loved playing his style, pressuring the puck and not allowing any space to the opposition. You have to be in great shape but it also eliminates standing flat-footed, trying to read and react. It’s more initiate and react.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:14 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

doesn't he live in Boston though? It will be tough getting him doing stuff here if his family is rooted up north.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
What about this on Torts?
Don't disagree with this at all if you have players like Leetch, St. Louis, Lecavalier, etc. We don't and that's why this system is completely ineffective for this Rangers team. Without Lundquist playing the best hockey of his career we would be vying for a top pick playing this ridiculous system.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Black Tank

I definitely would like to see more of Leetch on NY broadcasts though.

Old
10-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Katharina

Great interview, thanks for the link!

Katharina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Don't disagree with this at all if you have players like Leetch, St. Louis, Lecavalier, etc. We don't and that's why this system is completely ineffective for this Rangers team. Without Lundquist playing the best hockey of his career we would be vying for a top pick playing this ridiculous system.
Quote:
Agreed on both points

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:05 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Yeah. Ridiculous. Except in the opinion of the players. Pretty much all of them as has been repeatedly shown.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:23 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Totally agree with you. I actually thought Torts was a good coach but I am totally shocked by his inability to recognize that our roster will struggle with his system. When I wonder if Torts can get us to the cup I have to ask myself who are our Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis and Boyle?

Gaborik, Frolov, Dubinsky, Del Zotto....just doesn't really match up...maybe in 2-3 years

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:36 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Totally agree with you. I actually thought Torts was a good coach but I am totally shocked by his inability to recognize that our roster will struggle with his system. When I wonder if Torts can get us to the cup I have to ask myself who are our Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis and Boyle?

Gaborik, Frolov, Dubinsky, Del Zotto....just doesn't really match up...maybe in 2-3 years
The reality is that 2-3 years is optimistic. Your hopes for coaches are too high if you think that timeframe is excessive.

The players like Tortorella. He has had success. He should get the same shot any other non-interim coach would get.

Leetch, a player who I respect, thinks he's good. On top of the dozens of other examples of players buying into his system, playing for him for less, etc. what else would it take for you to relax about him? Seriously will you hate on the guy until he wins us a SC? Does it go beyond?

Old
10-07-2010, 07:47 AM
94now

Another show of political correctness. Not to step on any toes interview it was. Very little value for such valuable individual. Waste of paper space.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Yeah. Ridiculous. Except in the opinion of the players. Pretty much all of them as has been repeatedly shown.
And the results speak for themselves... As does the 60 game stretch in the middle of the season that reminded me of the dark Muckler days...

If you like Tortorella, great good for you. But he has not been a good coach for the Rangers - the numbers suck and the on ice performance has been dismal. But at least the players like it....

Old
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
FOXHOUND*

Get over it already. Torts isn't going anywhere.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Get over it already. Torts isn't going anywhere.
Exactly. I swear, some of you guys have personal vendettas against the guy. The bitterness is fogging up every thread

If you read other Rangers forums for some reason you don't see the same angst against the guy. Did all the Tortorella haters congregate here or something?

A good coach isn't going to turn **** into gold. The fact is that Tortorella's team have had many flaws. Neither last years team or the one before that could hardly be considered legitimately good teams. He's trying to do what he can, and I think in the end he's done more good than bad

There are some coaches I would want over him, but they're not available

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:11 AM
FOXHOUND*

People on this board love to ***** about things they can't control. Here are your options:
1) take what your given
Or
2) be a fan of another team

That's it.

Old
10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
People on this board love to ***** about things they can't control. Here are your options:
1) take what your given
Or
2) be a fan of another team

That's it.
Of course we can't control things. But to say those are you're only two options is ridiculous. I mean, if those are the only options, why spend time on a message board talking about it?

That is all.

10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
His delivery/tone is so boring though! I just don't think he has a great personality for broadcasting/commentating.... Compare the way he speaks/expresses himself on camera to say, Duguay.... Difference is night & day.....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

The season hasn't even started yet and Torts system is ineffective.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
The season hasn't even started yet and Torts system is ineffective.
I bet if they ever lift this team ever wins the Stanley Cup it will still be ineffective.

/hyperbole

But seriously - the hate is SO unfounded because the expectations are SO outrageous.

Old
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
I bet if they ever lift this team ever wins the Stanley Cup it will still be ineffective.

/hyperbole

But seriously - the hate is SO unfounded because the expectations are SO outrageous.
Part of Torts system strives to create more offense and production. He inherited a team with cap restraints and players that didnt fit into his system. Last year we acquired gaborik but still had bad pieces that he could not work with or just didnt fit (Lisin, Voros, Redden, no backup goalie, etc.). This year I feel this is more of a Torts type of team. I think he has the players he wants including the young guys that have developed and will be a part of the squad (Sauer, Stepan, plus bubble guys in hartford: VTank, McD, MZA, Grachev). And I believe, though it was only preseason, thats why this team was an offensive relentless machine.

Old
10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Part of Torts system strives to create more offense and production. He inherited a team with cap restraints and players that didnt fit into his system. Last year we acquired gaborik but still had bad pieces that he could not work with or just didnt fit (Lisin, Voros, Redden, no backup goalie, etc.). This year I feel this is more of a Torts type of team. I think he has the players he wants including the young guys that have developed and will be a part of the squad (Sauer, Stepan, plus bubble guys in hartford: VTank, McD, MZA, Grachev). And I believe, though it was only preseason, thats why this team was an offensive relentless machine.
Good post.... He definitely has more of the players he wants in the picture... The players are more comfortable with knowing what's expected out of them and are more comfortable with the coaching staff.... This year should be a pretty good measuring stick for the team...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
His delivery/tone is so boring though! I just don't think he has a great personality for broadcasting/commentating.... Compare the way he speaks/expresses himself on camera to say, Duguay.... Difference is night & day.....
Uh, yeah, but he has more insightful things to say in one segment of analysis than Duguay has all year. I actually prefer when an analyst does his job by providing analysis rather than entertainment - I watch the gameplay for the entertainment.

Man, I miss Jim Kaat on Yankees broadcasts...

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Of course we can't control things. But to say those are you're only two options is ridiculous. I mean, if those are the only options, why spend time on a message board talking about it?

That is all.
But constantly *****ing about the same thing(s)? Gets old after awhile, and it's the equivalent of just beating your head against the wall. At what point does the umpteenth "I think torts is a terrible person" post get old, especially with the season not even started yet? Nobody is saying anything new it's just saying the same things over and over again.

Old
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
But constantly *****ing about the same thing(s)? Gets old after awhile, and it's the equivalent of just beating your head against the wall. At what point does the umpteenth "I think torts is a terrible person" post get old, especially with the season not even started yet? Nobody is saying anything new it's just saying the same things over and over again.
Agreed. I thought the message board was a place to support your team, not a place to trash it. Someone might say well were talking about the coach, but the coach is an integral part of the team. Someone else might say well this is also a board to discuss things; well yeah it is but theres only so many times you can discuss what you dislike about something. Its the same thing being repeated. And this latest one is just plain stupid, I'm sorry but it is. Calling a system ineffective before a new season, with new players, hasnt even started is asinine.