HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers deal Paestch to Canucks for Sean Zimmerman

Old
10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
A Vancouver sportswriter actually brought up the idea of the Aquillini family (Canuck owners) buying the Phoenix Coyotes, tanking for as long as possible and trading the high draft picks to the Canucks.

The Aquillini family are life-long Canuck fans so the ridiculous part is that it's actually possible...

Trade: Andrew Peters for 1st overall pick
Isn't it against the rules for two teams to have the same ownership? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:22 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Goal 4: Make sure the majority of the trades made are with the Canucks.

We expected Tallon to get former Chicago players when he arrived, but if we wouldn't have known any better, you'd think he was the former Canucks GM, instead.

All these Vancouver-Florida trades are probably just in an effort to piss off Roberto Luongo.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Try selling that to the Rochester fans.

As far as they're concerned, we turned Alex Salak, Mike York, Graham Mink, Jeff Taffe, Jamie Johnson, and Steve Macintyre into Jake Markstrom, Mark Cullen(injured), Bill Thomas, Tristan Grant and Michael Nylander(prospects like Timmins/Jenks notwithstanding).

They were calling for another forward for their top-6(i.e. Grabner/Santorelli) to be sent down.
Pretty much. The Amerks 3rd and 4th lines are barely AHL caliber. And Florida goes out and acquires a defenseman. No one in Rochester is faulting Florida for the injury to Cullen, or Santorelli making the team or Grabner getting claimed. The issue is that despite all that happening, only Nylander has been brought in. That's not good enough. Plus Jenks is injured. Essentially, the team has lost 4 forwards they thought they would have only to be replaced by Nylander. The Amerks almost have more defensemen than forwards. It's kind of a joke. The team has no scoring at all.

If Florida doesn't acquire some scoring help, it will most certainly be a big factor in Rochester moving on.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:46 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Pretty much. The Amerks 3rd and 4th lines are barely AHL caliber. And Florida goes out and acquires a defenseman. No one in Rochester is faulting Florida for the injury to Cullen, or Santorelli making the team or Grabner getting claimed. The issue is that despite all that happening, only Nylander has been brought in. That's not good enough. Plus Jenks is injured. Essentially, the team has lost 4 forwards they thought they would have only to be replaced by Nylander. The Amerks almost have more defensemen than forwards. It's kind of a joke. The team has no scoring at all.

If Florida doesn't acquire some scoring help, it will most certainly be a big factor in Rochester moving on.

Hopefully, Tallon still has some moves up his sleeve.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
My guess is Asst GM Santos would be the architect of any of the deals for Roch.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Isn't it against the rules for two teams to have the same ownership? I'm pretty sure that's the case.
Not sure, I think one team can own them as long as they have different GMs?

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:12 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
What can he do? The Amerks are way above the veteran limit. 7 veterans while you can only dress 5. So any addition would have to be an exempt veteran or a non-veteran. It's not going to happen.

It'll be a mediocre team. And the Amerks will have no choice but to move on.

Old
10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
A Vancouver sportswriter actually brought up the idea of the Aquillini family (Canuck owners) buying the Phoenix Coyotes, tanking for as long as possible and trading the high draft picks to the Canucks.

The Aquillini family are life-long Canuck fans so the ridiculous part is that it's actually possible...

Trade: Andrew Peters for 1st overall pick
Ok, that sportswriter has obviously been smoking way too much fun stuff because that seems like a guaranteed way to lose a lot of money. If it was doable at all.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:39 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
What can he do? The Amerks are way above the veteran limit. 7 veterans while you can only dress 5. So any addition would have to be an exempt veteran or a non-veteran. It's not going to happen.

Can we see how the season pans out a little first? Geez. If we part ways then we part ways, no biggie. You make it sound like the Panthers will be losing out on something big if they aren't affiliated with Amerks. Do you think a break-up will affect Tallons vision and the long term game plan? I highly doubt it. Although it was a huge adjustment for the organization and fans when we switched from the Everblades to the Cyclones!

Old
10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Can we see how the season pans out a little first? Geez. If we part ways then we part ways, no biggie. You make it sound like the Panthers will be losing out on something big if they aren't affiliated with Amerks. Do you think a break-up will affect Tallons vision and the long term game plan? I highly doubt it. Although it was a huge adjustment for the organization and fans when we switched from the Everblades to the Cyclones!
Well, Tallon is the one who came to Rochester and made it quite clear they wanted to stay and wanted a future. It's not easy finding a new AHL home. Sometimes you end up like Edmonton or Anaheim with your prospects spread around the AHL or in the ECHL.

I would think they want to stay, so addressing some important needs would seem to be somewhat important.

Old
10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Mediocre team.

You probably have the best defense-goalie combo in the league. Man, you guys are hard to please.

Old
10-07-2010, 11:01 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Mediocre team.

You probably have the best defense-goalie combo in the league. Man, you guys are hard to please.
Can't score goals. And I wouldn't classify the defense to be among the best in the league at all.

It's really about the offense. Seriously, when you guys re-call Repik or Dadonov, the Amerks will not have any talent at forward. Who is going to score? Triston Grant? Mike Duco? It just doesn't compare to other teams.

Old
10-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Can't score goals. And I wouldn't classify the defense to be among the best in the league at all.

It's really about the offense. Seriously, when you guys re-call Repik or Dadonov, the Amerks will not have any talent at forward. Who is going to score? Triston Grant? Mike Duco? It just doesn't compare to other teams.
The offense needs another top 6 player, I'd be surprised if Tallon doesn't at least bring in somebody-even an attempt, but seriously it's still not that bad. When Cullen comes back, it'll be fine.

The D is definitely among the best in the league. Wilson, Callahan, Paestch, Robak, Comrie, Caruso, Hudson, and I assume Zimmerman, or else Ellerby. I have to assume Ellerby is getting recalled though. That is S-T-U-D-L-Y.

Old
10-07-2010, 11:11 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Well, Tallon is the one who came to Rochester and made it quite clear they wanted to stay and wanted a future. It's not easy finding a new AHL home. Sometimes you end up like Edmonton or Anaheim with your prospects spread around the AHL or in the ECHL.

I would think they want to stay, so addressing some important needs would seem to be somewhat important.
I would take that at face value then. I doubt Tallon wants to see the relationship fail. Lets talk at the end of the month.

Old
10-07-2010, 11:22 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
The offense needs another top 6 player, I'd be surprised if Tallon doesn't at least bring in somebody-even an attempt, but seriously it's still not that bad. When Cullen comes back, it'll be fine.

The D is definitely among the best in the league. Wilson, Callahan, Paestch, Robak, Comrie, Caruso, Hudson, and I assume Zimmerman, or else Ellerby. I have to assume Ellerby is getting recalled though. That is S-T-U-D-L-Y.
Yeah that defense would be nice, but obviously one veteran defenseman can't play. Just like when Cullen comes back, it pushes another veteran off the roster.

It's solid, but there's lots of other teams with good defenses. The difference is that they actually have good forwards. The Amerks bottom 4 forwards don't even belong in the league. It's pretty weak.

Old
10-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Jakethesnake

Everyone pretty much needs to quit arguing with Sabrefan.... I think hes proven time and time again that he knows more about the AHL and the Amerks than everyone else combined.

Jakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:51 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Paetsch is being loaned to Rochester, in case you missed it.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Yeah that defense would be nice, but obviously one veteran defenseman can't play. Just like when Cullen comes back, it pushes another veteran off the roster.

It's solid, but there's lots of other teams with good defenses. The difference is that they actually have good forwards. The Amerks bottom 4 forwards don't even belong in the league. It's pretty weak.
Yeah two vets can't play, but like I said on the trade board, Grant-Peters will probably alternate every other game which is not a big deal. And if you have one injury to a vet, then that leaves you with essentially 5 because Grant-Peters likely rotate in and out. And you will have injuries to vets. So it's good depth.

I still think the Amerks forwards aren't as bad you say. You're going to be slightly surprised.

Old
10-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake View Post
Everyone pretty much needs to quit arguing with Sabrefan.... I think hes proven time and time again that he knows more about the AHL and the Amerks than everyone else combined.
uh...when?

10-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Jakethesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
uh...when?
How about picking that Grabner would be waived or sent down to Rochester??

Everyone was KILLING him for saying that.... Absolutely mudering him for such blasphemy.

This is the most recent that comes to mind and quite a strong piece of evidence that he knows the intricacies of the relationship between the 2 teams inside and out.

Old
10-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
How about picking that Grabner would be waived or sent down to Rochester??

Everyone was KILLING him for saying that.... Absolutely mudering him for such blasphemy.

This is the most recent that comes to mind and quite a strong piece of evidence that he knows the intricacies of the relationship between the 2 teams inside and out.
We said it would be stupid, which while it has it's reasons and I now agree with it, it's still not the smartest thing, it really hasn't anything to do with his knowledge of Rochester. He used process of elimination, and the majority of us "murdered" him because we didn't want to lose the young prospect.

What else? Cause, that's just calling a guy going on waivers. He's knowledgeable, but he also has been wrong about plenty.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Jakethesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We said it would be stupid, which while it has it's reasons and I now agree with it, it's still not the smartest thing, it really hasn't anything to do with his knowledge of Rochester. He used process of elimination, and the majority of us "murdered" him because we didn't want to lose the young prospect.

What else? Cause, that's just calling a guy going on waivers. He's knowledgeable, but he also has been wrong about plenty.
Please don't try to sugarcoat or make excuses for youself. If you call "hes not getting sent down because he would have to clear waivers" STUPID, then yes 95% of Panther fans said it would be STUPID. And all if he "only" used process of elimination, why didn't you know it was going to happen?? Also, why should your emotional reaction to not wanting to loose a prospect, make his objective and rational decision less valid??

Please read the Rhino to the wing thread again and watch everyone get owned over, over and over again, including yourself. The vitriol is quite amazing actually, and frankly, pretty embarrassing for all involved. Ya'll got shown up big time. I would think that this alone would be enough to at least ease up a little. But obviously not.

Please, call a spade a spade. Don't let your dislike for someone overshadow the truth.

As for other stuff... yea, maybe he has said some thing that havent turned out to be correct, but I never said hes perfect, and believe me, if we counted up all the incorrect things posted on this board by other posters, the list would go on forever...

Dude knows his stuff, accept it everyone

Old
10-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Please don't try to sugarcoat or make excuses for youself. If you call "hes not getting sent down because he would have to clear waivers" STUPID, then yes 95% of Panther fans said it would be STUPID. And all if he "only" used process of elimination, why didn't you know it was going to happen?? Also, why should your emotional reaction to not wanting to loose a prospect, make his objective and rational decision less valid??

Please read the Rhino to the wing thread again and watch everyone get owned over, over and over again, including yourself. The vitriol is quite amazing actually, and frankly, pretty embarrassing for all involved. Ya'll got shown up big time. I would think that this alone would be enough to at least ease up a little. But obviously not.

Please, call a spade a spade. Don't let your dislike for someone overshadow the truth.

As for other stuff... yea, maybe he has said some thing that havent turned out to be correct, but I never said hes perfect, and believe me, if we counted up all the incorrect things posted on this board by other posters, the list would go on forever...

Dude knows his stuff, accept it everyone
Didn't read the majority of this. One thing doesn't make up for the last couple years. Amerks goaltending situation is just one where he was wrong, Matthias another. List goes on, but keep up YOUR "vitrol," and he was given plenty of "props" for calling him being sent down. We all said it wouldn't happen because it didn't make sense, wtf does that have to do with any knowledge, or lack of for that matter, the AHL?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
BabyJagrov

Sabrefan is a great contributor to our board ! Just like the Amerks are great for the Panthers !

But remember he picked Grabner because Santo was making the team, we were all saying it and he couldn't believe it...

Nevermind... I think the Amerks are missing one top-6 forward, and the bottom-6 isn't as bad as you say... Defense is deep, with lots of potential, just like goaltending. I guess every team has a weakness nowadays, so we'll see...

Just like the Panthers could be a playoff-team, the Amerks could be a top-team. I think Tallon knows he is missing one piece there, and he'll do everything to plug that hole quickly. Without a move, the Amerks are still a playoff-caliber team, and could make some noise !

Can we please just wait a couple of more weeks, and then we can argue what's the matter with Rochester.

Have a nice weekend, and a nice opening night !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

i have to admit that it is very odd that they are trading away players that havent played a single regular season game in a panther or amerk jersey. i can only surmise that when they brought them in and saw what they had to offer (or maybe saw their attitude) that they decided that they werent the right fit and decided to move on. but it is very odd indeed.

actually now that i think about it, has to be a salary swap as vancouver could have had him for free. oh well.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote