HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Umberger status?

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2004, 11:36 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Umberger status?

What's going on lately with R.J. Umberger? Is he going to sign with the Rags this summer? I heard somewhere that if he doesn't sign with New York that he may sign with Pittsburgh.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
There's reportedly something like 6 teams interested.

It's known that his first choice is Pittsburgh, but I wouldn't be the least suprised if he signed elsewhere.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
06-06-2004, 07:04 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

My guess is that he either gives the Pens a hometown discount, or the Rangers make the highest offer based upon him and his agent testing the market. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers, in order to get the 2nd round pick, told him and his agent to go out after the June 1 deadline and get the best offer, and give the Rangers the oppotunity to top it.

Old
06-06-2004, 07:33 AM
NYR Khabby Fan

rangers are not trying to match, why would they even bother to . the kid has proven nothing and he wants more than a mill a year and and sather dont want to give that much, so why wouyld he match some one else, if hes not giving him that much what makes u think he is going to get more. i say nyr takes the second round pick maybe tries to trade it or they just use it and i dobt r.j will be a ranger , there is a possibility he very much so might be./ but for the money the kid wants , thats what makes me doubt it.

Old
06-06-2004, 02:01 PM
X0ssbar

I am pretty sure that if the Rangers sign RJ they will forfit their 2nd rounder(compensation for not signing RJ).

I wouldn't be surprised if the CBJ were in the mix - afterall he did play his collegiate hockey at Ohio State.

Old
06-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

New York keeps the 46th pick regardless of what happens.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him go back to New York, but at the same time I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't because they didn't sign him before the deadline.

Old
06-06-2004, 03:09 PM
PSUhockey34

He expressed some interest in signing with WAS

Old
06-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Hitman*

It would be nice for hockey in Pittsburgh if he signed there and I hope he does.

Old
06-07-2004, 02:33 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

According to some reports RJ wants a 1 way deal--with huge money up front--That is one of the reasons the rangers walked/balked at his demands

BTW

HE did not play this year

Old
06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Is this guy really worth the fuss..I mean he was Vancouver's first rounder..and Vancouver hasn't had a great first rounder in a while ...and exaclty where did this guy put up any numbers of signfigance... I say let him rot....the only thing large on this guy is his atttiutude... can onyone say Mike Van Ryan...or Mike Danton..
the only press this guy deserves is from the kitty litter box.....

Old
06-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector's Trade Rumours
PENGUINS, UMBERGER DRAWN TO EACH OTHER.

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE: Dave Molinari reports Penguins GM Craig Patrick has begun talks with the agent for young prospect and local boy R. J. Umberger, a former Vancouver Canucks prospect who was unable to come to terms on an NHL contract with the NY Rangers. Patrick expressed his interest in the youngster and said he'll continue talks with Brian Lawton, who represents Umberger.
Looks like it could be a good fit. RJ just needs to hit the ice at this point.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:33 PM
AEKaki

Pittsburgh will sign him.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
If he's really demanding a one way contract, then Pittsburg simply makes the most sense. They could use the butts in the seats that Umberger could draw due to the fact that he's a local boy and their team isn't so competative that they would stand to lose a lot by playing him in the NHL. Plus, even if he did stink it up it would help them land Crosby.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
If he's really demanding a one way contract, then Pittsburg simply makes the most sense. They could use the butts in the seats that Umberger could draw due to the fact that he's a local boy and their team isn't so competative that they would stand to lose a lot by playing him in the NHL. Plus, even if he did stink it up it would help them land Crosby.
One thing that may help the Pens is that Umberger stands a better chance to make the Penguins than most other teams. If he signs with the Pens that would make him the 2nd local on the team (Malone is the other).

I heard that one reason Pock signed with the Rangers because they guaranteed him a spot on the NHL roster. If Umberger gets that from an NHL team, that might factor in who he signs with.

Old
06-08-2004, 05:53 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
One thing that may help the Pens is that Umberger stands a better chance to make the Penguins than most other teams. If he signs with the Pens that would make him the 2nd local on the team (Malone is the other).

I heard that one reason Pock signed with the Rangers because they guaranteed him a spot on the NHL roster. If Umberger gets that from an NHL team, that might factor in who he signs with.
Pock has no guarantee going forward that he will be on the Ranger roster. He was done with school and the Rangers needed a Dman and it was a good fit.

Old
06-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Zoo

If Umberger signs with the pens, which I hppe he doe's cause we could use abit more depth, it will be a two way contract for sure.Umberger hasn't played for about a year now he needs to get back into shape.CP will tell Umberger that if you have a good camp you could steal a spot.But the way I see it, he's headed for WBS.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo
If Umberger signs with the pens, which I hppe he doe's cause we could use abit more depth, it will be a two way contract for sure.Umberger hasn't played for about a year now he needs to get back into shape.CP will tell Umberger that if you have a good camp you could steal a spot.But the way I see it, he's headed for WBS.
If he was willing to accept that kind of deal he would be a blueshirt by now. Pens may get a "discount" from him, but I think he wants a one way deal for sure.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:44 PM
davemess

Wouldnt he have to sign a two-way contract? i thought that was part of the CBA for every player signing their first pro contract

Old
06-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Man I hope the Kings sign him. . .

Old
06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
If he was willing to accept that kind of deal he would be a blueshirt by now. Pens may get a "discount" from him, but I think he wants a one way deal for sure.
I the reason why sather didn't sign umberger is cause he wanted the 2nd round pick.
I think the only way he comes to pittsbugh is if he signs a two contract.CP knows he need to play cause he's been out of hockey for some time now.Alot of people are saying he's greedy and a selfish player, but if you look at it what a few teams have done to him.First burke offered him less than ryan kesler we was drafted well after umberger...now that was a kick in the face.Then sather who I think wasn't gonna sign him anyway cause he wanted the 2nd round pick and then another shot at umberger after he let him walk which it good thinking I should point out.

Now umberger is picked as greedy player cause he's walked out on two teams.Go figure !!

Closed Thread