HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Lose 3-2

Old
10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
baldrick

vCash: 500
Not going to win many games when your 3rd and 4th lines outplay 1st and 2nd, the exception being Plekanec. Showing up for the last five minutes of a game isn't good
enough.

Price wasn't great but should have been enough versus the Leafs.
Solid game by Subban, impressed.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Very diplomatic of you on the pre-game ()

I like when the parade the ol' vets out. Courtnall was one of my favourites... such blazing speed and I loved lording the Kordic trade over my friends that cheered for the TML. I wonder if Brian Burke would make that trade. Koridc is a Burke kind of guy.

Vaive gets a bum-rap for being a bit of a ******. He was all the TML had for a while in the darkest of the Ballard days. I'm sure he'd be a good tipper come christmas time for said paper route.

Strange that they didn't shake hands, I was wanting to read more hate into it. It was just a moment of social akwardness in the end. Neither guy seemed to know what to do...
Haha, if I wasn't an admin, you might have read a different response from me.

Me too, even though I can't stand the Leafs. I am a hockey fan, so seeing the older players paraded out was a thrill for me. Seeing players like Courtnall, Palmateer and Vaive was fun for me, as those were some of the players I grew up watching.

It's hard to say as Burke is known for liking a tougher brand of player, which Kordic certainly was.

Vaive was awesome, I'd wear an old Habs toque while doing my route in the winter time. He used to rag me all the time about it, yelling at me to get off his property, but with a big smile on his face. He was actually a really good tipper. One year he gave me a $20 American bill as a tip. Which for a 12 yr old in the early 80's was a lot of money.

I may be wrong, maybe there was some hatred. It just seemed to me that it was more Gionta and Phaneuf were caught up in the moment and forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
Phaneuf DID shake Gionta's hand. Gionta wasn't on-screen though
I totally missed that. I must have been stuffing my face with popcorn at the time.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Biggsy

I thought it was a pretty good game, Spacek was HORRIBLE on that last goal like WOW what are you doing, all bad defensive plays "like always" JS played aweseome so did Price, better play alot better though against Pitt

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Not going to win many games when your 3rd and 4th lines outplay 1st and 2nd, the exception being Plekanec. Showing up for the last five minutes of a game isn't good
enough.
I don't agree with this. Based upon expectations it's probably true but I don't think it's what actually happened in the game. Using the link I posted earlier and tallying even-strength scoring chances, the top 6 out-chanced the Leafs 7-4 (with the Plekanec line matched up against the Kessel line for the Leafs) while the bottom 6 out-chanced the Leafs 9-8. When you consider the quality of competition the top 6 faced (specifically the Plekanec line), I would have to say that our forwards outplayed the Leafs and were good throughout.

Also, it's interesting to see that the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line was dominant last night, only on the ice for 1 Leaf scoring chance at even-strength, and that chance came in the midst of a line-change when Gomez was not on the ice.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Gionta waited for Phaneuf to finish shaking the hand of everyone before shaking his hand, then both left. But we didn't see it in the close-up plan but right after, from far away, that's why it was easily missed.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Interesting question.

As that would be hard for someone to prove over the internet. I really couldn't take a situation like that as an excuse for trolling. Now if the person was willing to provide a note or letter from a certified medical practitioner backing this claim. We may have to look at the situation differently.
Hello, this is Turboflex's doctor posting on his account. Please allow him to troll, it is a medical condition.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
enough.

Price wasn't great but should have been enough versus the Leafs.
Solid game by Subban, impressed.
Well said. Our first two lines did not bring much. How many quality scoring chances did they have before the last 5 minutes of the game?

On to the next game. I hope we bring more against Pitt.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Habs 1909

Can't fault Price for the outcome of the game last night. People usually fault him for not making that one key save down the stretch to keep the team in the game and he did just that against Kessel.

The question now for the Leafs is if those 2 points will secure them a playoff spot..

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:02 PM
teeks643
GO LETS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Request:
If someone recorded the game I'd love to see the clip where Healy is talking about a Leaf player, Armstrong maybe, "flattening" Gorges while the video clearly shows him falling on his ass while Gorges skates away.
I was amazed by this as well. I think what he said was that Armstrong goes into the corner and "lays out" Gorges (he said it as the replay clearly showed Armstrong falling into the corner while Gorges skated away). To call something so poorly on the replay no less is ridiculous.

I have said it for some time now, I really wish we had the option to watch pro sports on television without commentators. It may be boring to most, but for true sports fans who don't need to be told what is happening it would be a dream. (I've said this before and people suggested the mute button but obviously that is no good as the sounds of the game are important to the experience).

but yes, Healy (like the vast majority of PBP and colour commentators) is brutal.

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:07 PM
bjac

After a season opening loss to the leafs I expected to be in a pretty bad mood but thats not the case. Even knowing they lost I was pretty pleased with alot of key players in last nights game.

I was happy with Price's game. He had a solid game. He wasn't spectacular but he played with confidence and made some nice stops. I liked his save when the game was on the line with less than 5 minutes left. He kept the Habs in it and gave them a chance.

Pleks and Eller had a good game IMO. They were a bit inconsistant, but I felt they were generating lots of chances. Pleks is playing like he always does which is great. Eller really adds a different dynamic to that line. His size, speed and hockey sense is something that will help this team. He seems like the type of guy that other players will have an easy time creating chemistry with. He was causing trouble all night, he just couldn't finish.

Subban had a good game. It's pretty clear to me that he has the potential to be a special player. Everybody knows about his offensive abilities and what he is capable of doing, but I was impressed by the defensive side to his game. He was good in corners and bailed his D partner out a couple times. Hes alot stronger that people give him credit for making him hard to knock off the puck along the boards. At times I have felt that he does too much and doesn't use the other players on the ice as much as he should, but last night he was better at that.

Gomez and Gionta weren't too bad. They struggled at times, but gave the Leafs fits almost resulting in goals. These are two of the more consistant offensive players on the team so I'm not too worried... Damn Gio was close to getting that puck over Giggys pad at the end there.

The PP was bad, but thats to be expected without Markov and Cammy. They also had some bad defensive breakdowns (that lead to goals), but those are things that can be ironed out over the season. Hammer being hurt affects the team defensively more than people will admit. I hope he gets paired with Subban. Hes a great stay at home guy. Pouliot and AK weren't very noticable. Lets hope at least one of those two gets going this year.

All in all, I felt pretty good about the Habs last night. The key players all showed good signs at one point or another.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins415 View Post
I was amazed by this as well. I think what he said was that Armstrong goes into the corner and "lays out" Gorges (he said it as the replay clearly showed Armstrong falling into the corner while Gorges skated away). To call something so poorly on the replay no less is ridiculous.

I have said it for some time now, I really wish we had the option to watch pro sports on television without commentators. It may be boring to most, but for true sports fans who don't need to be told what is happening it would be a dream. (I've said this before and people suggested the mute button but obviously that is no good as the sounds of the game are important to the experience).

but yes, Healy (like the vast majority of PBP and colour commentators) is brutal.
About 10 years ago, Saturday night french games were on french CBC and they went on strike so they broadcasted the games just like that, only sound, no commentary (I dont even think they superimposed the clock & score but I don't remember). It was BEAUTIFUL!!

Maybe you can find clips of it...

I always though it would be great if they could do that, maybe route the option through the SAP channel on the remote.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:25 PM
teeks643
GO LETS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
About 10 years ago, Saturday night french games were on french CBC and they went on strike so they broadcasted the games just like that, only sound, no commentary (I dont even think they superimposed the clock & score but I don't remember). It was BEAUTIFUL!!

Maybe you can find clips of it...

I always though it would be great if they could do that, maybe route the option through the SAP channel on the remote.
Ya it doesn't seem like it should be that tough to do.

If someone decided to provide broadcasts without PBP or Colour it would save them a ton of money in salaries as well.

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Andy

To the guys who said Halak would have won the game...

...you mean the same Halak that almost cost us the final game against the leafs last year that caused us to barely squeek in?

Now, I don't really mean what I said, but I am just using the same logic as this guy.

The loss yesterday had nothing to do with goaltending on our part, if people think that it did, then they clearly know nothing about hockey. Carey made plenty of key saves to keep them in the game, Montreal didn't capitalize, especially on the PP. 0-5, we get one goal in the PP, entirely different game. Sorry guys D coverage gets and the lack of offense from our key players get the blame first. I'm pretty sure Martin thinks the same thing.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Interesting question.

As that would be hard for someone to prove over the internet. I really couldn't take a situation like that as an excuse for trolling. Now if the person was willing to provide a note or letter from a certified medical practitioner backing this claim. We may have to look at the situation differently.
i have a docs note from my physician Dr. Zoidberg here.. how do i go about sending it to you?

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:06 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
Phaneuf DID shake Gionta's hand. Gionta wasn't on-screen though
Ah it makes sense now

I thought Phaneuf was pleasuring himself

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggsy View Post
I thought it was a pretty good game, Spacek was HORRIBLE on that last goal like WOW what are you doing
Covering Subban's right side spot, since the rookie was out of position.

That tends to get missed in the narrative.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
After a season opening loss to the leafs I expected to be in a pretty bad mood but thats not the case. Even knowing they lost I was pretty pleased with alot of key players in last nights game.

I was happy with Price's game. He had a solid game. He wasn't spectacular but he played with confidence and made some nice stops. I liked his save when the game was on the line with less than 5 minutes left. He kept the Habs in it and gave them a chance.

Pleks and Eller had a good game IMO. They were a bit inconsistant, but I felt they were generating lots of chances. Pleks is playing like he always does which is great. Eller really adds a different dynamic to that line. His size, speed and hockey sense is something that will help this team. He seems like the type of guy that other players will have an easy time creating chemistry with. He was causing trouble all night, he just couldn't finish.

Subban had a good game. It's pretty clear to me that he has the potential to be a special player. Everybody knows about his offensive abilities and what he is capable of doing, but I was impressed by the defensive side to his game. He was good in corners and bailed his D partner out a couple times. Hes alot stronger that people give him credit for making him hard to knock off the puck along the boards. At times I have felt that he does too much and doesn't use the other players on the ice as much as he should, but last night he was better at that.

Gomez and Gionta weren't too bad. They struggled at times, but gave the Leafs fits almost resulting in goals. These are two of the more consistant offensive players on the team so I'm not too worried... Damn Gio was close to getting that puck over Giggys pad at the end there.

The PP was bad, but thats to be expected without Markov and Cammy. They also had some bad defensive breakdowns (that lead to goals), but those are things that can be ironed out over the season. Hammer being hurt affects the team defensively more than people will admit. I hope he gets paired with Subban. Hes a great stay at home guy. Pouliot and AK weren't very noticable. Lets hope at least one of those two gets going this year.

All in all, I felt pretty good about the Habs last night. The key players all showed good signs at one point or another.
I don't agree with your assessment. Plekanec was largely responsible for the first Leaf goal and his line all finished at -2 (including Eller). The Gomez line didn't do enough and they accomplished nothing on the power play. Pouliot was a +1 and had an assist.

The positives were the skating, the penalty kiling, and the new players on the bottom six (Boyd and Halpern) who scored goals. Also, Price played well.

I agree with you about the play of the Dmen.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:46 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That, frankly, is the key takeaway from the game. If they can keep this up I am going to revise all my doom-and-gloom predictions as I do think the Habs have the horses to be pretty decent so long as they play 21st century hockey.
Hey, we agree!!!!

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Thoughts:

- I want to see Eller at the centre position please.

- Picard is average but at least use him where he was supposed to be useful, on the PP.

- I can't stand seeing the right shooter D like PK on the left on the PP.

- Lapierre is badly used on the fourth line. He can't express himself.

Last edited by Kimota: 10-08-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:37 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

You guys have a player in Subban. He looked superb. I think he was your best player last night.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote