HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

5 up/down, Game #1 vs. Philly

Old
10-07-2010, 08:51 PM

vCash: 500

Good- Fleury, Letestu, Tangradi(for the 1st and 2nd period, invisible in 3rd), Michalek, TFK

Bad- Where do I start? Crosby, Engelland(this guy has no right to be playing in the NHL, he doesnt even look AHL capable), Dupuis, Letang

Ugly- The 1st line(get Dupuis outta there), Malkin looked good but too damn sloppy, Letangs turnover, Scott Hartnell, line juggling

Meh- Comrie

Last edited by 71: 10-07-2010 at 08:57 PM.
71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:52 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
I really liked Michalek too. He is way more mobile than I thought and I love his decision making with the puck. He is quickly gonna become one of my favorites.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Sideline

Plus:

+Mickalek. This man must be cloned and played on every pairing. His breakout passes were the crispest of any Dman tonight. His positioning was solid and he was above average on board play. If I were buying a Pens sweater Iíd be rocking the 4.

+Gogo. Good speed and puck poise on the PP. Didnít make me scream obscenities at the TV while in his own end.

+Kennedy. Played hard every shift and got a reward for it. This should make guys like Talbot and Adams nervous.

+Letestu. He back-checks well. Heís always in position. Heís not a guy that dangles, but he can still make nifty offensive plays. Solid effort.

+Fleury. I only wanted him chained to the post once all game; this is a vast improvment. Made some great save bailing out his team mates.

Even:

= Geno. Three or four good shifts tonight. He had some good chances. He can be better.

= Crosby. Heís the best player in the world. Tonight he only looked like a very good player.

Minus:

-Letang. Bad breakout passes and that good awful drop pass to Giroux. Reports of illness are the only thing keeping him from being the first player to make my 2010-2011 **** List.

-Deryk Engelland: to the AHL with you. I want The Reverand.

-Bylsma. Malkinís three best shifts were with Comrie and Tangradi. I suppose force feeding him to Crosby is better than saddling Sid with Old Man Guerin, but come on! Am I the only one who noticed this?

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Kesid
The House of Penguin

i didnt like defensive pairing, there were too much space for Flyers forward when Martin and Letang were on the ice

Kesid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
I don't understand why they threw Malkin and Crosby together so early. It was what, the beginning of the second period? I thought Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin had been strong early on. Crosby was pretty off all night. The switch ended up throwing Malkin off too, IMO.

Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Kennedy, Tangradi,Goligoski, Fleury all looked real good.

Martin looked real good except him and Letang playing with the puck on the SHG.

Engelland as aleady stated looked very bad.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Michalek was already a non-Pen I had a ton of respect for and a guy my 1st choice for a guy I wanted them to add in the off-season. This game did nothing to change that. Guy is just solid in all areas and that is a refreshing and comforting thing to have back there.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Plus:

+Mickalek. This man must be cloned and played on every pairing. His breakout passes were the crispest of any Dman tonight. His positioning was solid and he was above average on board play. If I were buying a Pens sweater Iíd be rocking the 4.

+Gogo. Good speed and puck poise on the PP. Didnít make me scream obscenities at the TV while in his own end.

+Kennedy. Played hard every shift and got a reward for it. This should make guys like Talbot and Adams nervous.

+Letestu. He back-checks well. Heís always in position. Heís not a guy that dangles, but he can still make nifty offensive plays. Solid effort.

+Fleury. I only wanted him chained to the post once all game; this is a vast improvment. Made some great save bailing out his team mates.

Even:

= Geno. Three or four good shifts tonight. He had some good chances. He can be better.

= Crosby. Heís the best player in the world. Tonight he only looked like a very good player.

Minus:

-Letang. Bad breakout passes and that good awful drop pass to Giroux. Reports of illness are the only thing keeping him from being the first player to make my 2010-2011 **** List.

-Bylsma. Malkinís three best shifts were with Comrie and Tangradi. I suppose force feeding him to Crosby is better than saddling Sid with Old Man Guerin, but come on! Am I the only one who noticed this?
He looked real good tonight. Of course with Engelland taking all the notice away from him in our zone might have helped.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I don't understand why they threw Malkin and Crosby together so early. It was what, the beginning of the second period? I thought Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin had been strong early on. Crosby was pretty off all night. The switch ended up throwing Malkin off too, IMO.
This is dead on.

Old
10-07-2010, 08:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Plus:

Even:

Minus:

QFT . . . I thought the same thing. Malkin starts out on fire with Comrie and Tangradi, so DB's bright idea is the play them maybe 2-3 shifts for the second half of the game. I cannot fathom why he refuses to realize that Sid and Geno have playing styles that are so disparate that they almost neutralize each other.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

We played too sloppy that game, too much line juggling, trying to be flashy, and a hot goalie. Though you gotta give it to Bobrovsky, he had impeccable positioning, and like no rebounds.

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Jacob

Few liked the idea of pairing Orpik with Michalek and I hate it even more after one game. Neither had bad games, but the pairing is just off balance. Martin-Michalek and Orpik-Letang make the most sense. Do it.

Rupp on the PK is kinda cool... Rupp on the 2nd PP is unwise. Put Tangradi out there.

Engelland isn't an NHL-caliber defenseman. And he's not some budding prospect that we need to give a longer look to, either. He's a finished product, and he should be #8 on any respected team's depth chart.

Otherwise a solid effort with some hairy moments but otherwise, not terribly disappointing. Bobrovsky made some good saves and some pucks hit the posts. No biggie.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusShero8771 View Post
Good- Fleury, Letestu, Tangradi(for the 1st and 2nd period, invisible in 3rd), Michalek, TFK

Bad- Where do I start? Crosby, Engelland(this guy has no right to be playing in the NHL, he doesnt even look AHL capable), Dupuis, Letang

Ugly- The 1st line(get Dupuis outta there), Malkin looked good but too damn sloppy, Letangs turnover, Scott Hartnell, line juggling

Meh- Comrie
Tangradi barely played in the third . . . gotta get Rupp and Adams out there, I suppose.

About the new first line RW: The good news is that he isn't Bill Guerin. The bad news is that he's Pascal Dupuis.

Here's the funny thing with the line juggling: When everyone except the first line is going, Bylsma juggles. When the first line is going, there's no juggling, no matter how the other lines are playing.

If Englland never plays another shift for the Pens, that will be one shift too many.

Old
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Five up:

Tangradi looked great. Great along the boards, great control of the puck, great in front of the net.

Fleury looked really good. I still feel like I'm about to faint whenever he goes to play the puck, but he had some nice poke checks and absolutely robbed Carter. Hopefully this is the MAF we see all season.

Kennedy played well. I gotta swallow my pride and give it to the kid, he had a good game. That was a heck of a shot on his goal. Bravo, kid.

Michalek looked great at both ends of the ice. He has a better shot than I expected, skates very well and has a good pass. On top of all that, he's really solid in his own zone.

The penalty kill looked really strong, as well.

Letestu was very noticeable as well. All over the ice, creating chances.

Honorable mention:

I thought Adams played very well. He didn't score, but he was doing everything you want out of a guy in his role.

Five down:

Letang's giveaway that lead to the GWG is enough to erase any positive he might have contributed to the team tonight. That was an absolutely inexcusable giveaway, no way around it.

Engelland looked out of position and just bad overall all night long. He's got a nice reach and can hit, but I think Shero needs to keep an eye out for a cheap vet.

Geno/Sid - Enough with the fancy ****, please. God dammit, I was pulling my hair out all night with how much behind the back passing and trying to weave through the entire Flyers team they were doing. Keep it simple, please.

The PP - Just as awful as ever. When we asked for a lot of movement, we didn't mean "everyone run around and appear to not know what the Hell you're doing." Wayyyy too much passing. Seeing Geno on the left wall is weird and seeing him at the point and not shooting ever makes me very sad. Give Tangradi a shot to cause havoc in front of the goalie and go from there.

Kunitz looked pretty terrible in the first game tonight. I was hoping he'd have a really good year now that he's healthy, and hopefully he still will, but this first game was pretty bad.

Dishonorable mention:

Over-passing like crazy.

The officiating was atrocious. Between the phantom Malkin hook to the ******** offside call on Michalek (when the puck absolutely did not go passed the blue line) it was fairly terrible all around.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:02 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Also I know its Tangradi's 2nd game but he looked really good and should have gotten more than 11 minutes.

What was up with Kunitz? Didn't look himself tonight at all. Falling down a couple of times, running into players, he didn't hit anybody on the forecheck.

Old
10-07-2010, 09:02 PM

I would also like to add that Eric Tangradi should be on the 1st PP unit. When he was in front of the net, they hit two posts and Sid missed an open net off a rebound.

Old
10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
bradshaw06

what was with the 2nd pp unit?

bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jdpitt05

We need continuity in the top 6.

Kunitz-Crosby-Comrie
Tangradi-Malkin-Kennedy

....and effing stick with it. When Staal comes back, TK can move back down. Tangradi needs consistent ice-time with Geno. The kid was a force out there using his size. I hate the juggling with lines.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Money call of the night. See my post above about why DB does this. He doesn't care about the juggling if Sid is off, even if the juggling throws other people (e.g., Malkin) off.

Old
10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

The third line of letestu,kennedy, and cooke was real solid. But i personally believed tangradi looked great though he didnt get enough ice time.

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

That SHG was ugly.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Philly got excellent goaltending and they had guys who had the drive to make and finish on weak mistakes by the Pens (Giroux) When you dress someone that isn't NHL calibre (EngAHLand) and he is getting run around by superior opponents, you are fighting with match-ups all game.

Flyers came out and took this one... if not for a couple giant saves by MAF this is a 3 or 4 goal loss even though the Pens controlled the 1st period thats all they controlled tonight.

Crosby had a poor game and Malkin was sloppy as well.

Impressed with Tangradi, Comrie did pretty solid as well.

Also, thumbs down to Talbot, he was way too easy to knock around in the corners giving Philly possession of the puck.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Tangradi barely played in the third . . . gotta get Rupp and Adams out there, I suppose.

About the new first line RW: The good news is that he isn't Bill Guerin. The bad news is that he's Pascal Dupuis.

Here's the funny thing with the line juggling: When everyone except the first line is going, Bylsma juggles. When the first line is going, there's no juggling, no matter how the other lines are playing.

If Englland never plays another shift for the Pens, that will be one shift too many.
That some BS IMO.. he was creating chances and protecting the puck like he's been in the NHL for a few years.. Guys a beast on the boards as well

Old
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post

Kunitz-Crosby-Comrie
Tangradi-Malkin-Kennedy

....and effing stick with it. When Staal comes back, TK can move back down. Tangradi needs consistent ice-time with Geno. The kid was a force out there using his size. I hate the juggling with lines.
You do realize that Comrie is not the kind of player who can play well with Sid, right?

Kennedy should play with Sid. At least he's fast.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post

Kunitz-Crosby-Comrie
Tangradi-Malkin-Kennedy

Another money quote . . . Tangradi won more pucks than any other Penguin tonight. Every time he chased a dump and got there with a man on, he didn't look to make some dumb ass danger pass . . . he waited until Comrie and Malkin arrived. And, did anyone notice that the one PP where the Pens unleashed consistent pressure and kept the puck in the offensive zone for nearly two minutes was when Tangradi, not Kunitz, was out there? Apparently, the coaches didn't. That kid can play, and tonight he was a wasted asset.