HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1|Season Opener|SENS v SABRES| Sens Lose 2-1

Old
10-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Manny*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'd bet on him getting pulled. I'm betting the over on this game. WAY over. I'm thinking like a 7-6 **** fest. Think game 1 of round 2 back in 05-06.

EDIT: OMFG. Clapman is at 2:30 of this highlight package. This guy has been around forever.
Great find. This guy is legendary.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner Fan Boy View Post
This is a kick in the ass for Elliot. I feel so bad for the kid showing that he can be the starter and we go back to this sack of ****. Whatever, Leclaire won't last.
If Elliott didnt lose his starting role in the post season i am sure he would be starting.... but the fact is he did lose the job to Leclaire and now has to work his way back up. As is life in the nhl

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner Fan Boy View Post
This is a kick in the ass for Elliot. I feel so bad for the kid showing that he can be the starter and we go back to this sack of ****. Whatever, Leclaire won't last.
Umm when exactly did that happen, I must not have gotten the memo...

Show me an example of him showing he can be a starter, Ill point you out 5 examples of him showing he's incapable of being the starter. And Im really not trying to defend Lecalaire here, but if all were going by is a bit of success over the course of 1 year, Lecalaire has done alot more in the past than Elliot did last year. We need consistency, something neither of these two have shown at any point in their careers.

Samsquanch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
I'd bet on him getting pulled. I'm betting the over on this game. WAY over. I'm thinking like a 7-6 **** fest. Think game 1 of round 2 back in 05-06.

EDIT: OMFG. Clapman is at 2:30 of this highlight package. This guy has been around forever.
That was such a ridiculous game. No noticeable defense or goatlending to be seen.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PablitoArg

What a goal by Connely.. Sweet hands

PablitoArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:30 AM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

Here's the Citizen's article.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/se...-start-season/

I love Clouston's comment:

Quote:
Asked why he decided to go with Leclaire over Brian Elliott (neither netminder distinguished himself during the preseason), Clouston said it was because Leclaire is “supposed to be our go-to guy".

“We need to give him an opportunity to at least start Game 1,” he added. “I don’t think Brian outplayed him, so to speak. I think that Pascal is coming in with the right frame of mind, he put the time in over the summer and we need to give him an opportunity.”

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
I was confused for so many days after that game. Its sad to watch the defensive coverage and bad pinches that lead to countless 2 on 1s.
What's more shocking than anything else is how they didn't clear the freaking crease on that tying goal. It was the final minute of the game and you know they have the extra attacker out there and there's four Sabres all just hanging around the net. There should have been alot more desperation. They thought they had the game in the bag after Smolinski's goal and that was totally wrong.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:35 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
What's more shocking than anything else is how they didn't clear the freaking crease on that tying goal. It was the final minute of the game and you know they have the extra attacker out there and there's four Sabres all just hanging around the net. There should have been alot more desperation. They thought they had the game in the bag after Smolinski's goal and that was totally wrong.
Smoke had the biggest ****-eating grin on his face after that goal. I remember it so well.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bank View Post
Here's the Citizen's article.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/se...-start-season/

I love Clouston's comment:
Can't tell if you actually do like the comment or if you're being sarcastic and think it's a stupid comment.
I couldn't agree more with Clouston, very smart comment. He IS supposed to the #1, that's why we traded for him and that's why management had such high hopes for him. Clouston is giving him the confidence boost and the opportunity to get it together.

Anybody who thinks Elliott should be starting tonight is still thinking too much about last season. It's a new start. If Leclaire stinks it up tonight than it's back to Elliott. Pretty damn simple.

Old
10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PablitoArg View Post
Lalime ... Oops, i ment Elliott isnt better then leclaire. They both suck

If you have to feel bad for anyone, it should be Lehner, Outplayibg both in pre season and getting the shaft to bingo
What? Lehner has played what, 4 games in the organization so far? He has not earned anything. He's earned himself a role in Binghamton with his play. Elliott has been in the organization for years and has paid his dues. He's been a back up in the AHL and battled for the job, earning it outright and becoming an all-star at the AHL level. He then made the early jump to the NHL and stole the starting role TWICE, taking this team on impressive win streaks and getting back into the post season, earning personal accolades in the process.

People seem to forget that this team wouldn't have even been in the playoffs without Brian Elliott. Leclaire couldn't have even had his stellar 1.5 games if Elliott, the back up going into last year AND this year, didn't pick up the slack.

He played poorly in 4 games in the playoffs. Contrast all that with Lehner's great play in 4 games... 2 in the AHL, 2 in NHL preseason... Hmmmm...

Anyways, new year mean Elliott has to steal the starting job back. Nothing changes. I'm guessing the only reason Leclaire is between the pipes now is because Clouston and Murray realize they need to determine if Leclaire will ever be an asset again, because if he's not, they need to part ways soon and use the cap space to improve the team in other areas. The days of Alfie are nearing an end and the organization owes it to him to give him the best chance to win.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:41 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
Smoke had the biggest ****-eating grin on his face after that goal. I remember it so well.
Yeah it was too awesome! Just like "yup there it is, we just took the game" a look of total relief and maybe a touch of "in your face"

Old
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
wjhl2009fan

PablitoArg
Lehner did not get the shaft at all it is rare to see a 19 year old goalie in the nhl.Lehner earned his spot in the ahl and moved up on the depth chart.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Can't tell if you actually do like the comment or if you're being sarcastic and think it's a stupid comment.
I couldn't agree more with Clouston, very smart comment. He IS supposed to the #1, that's why we traded for him and that's why management had such high hopes for him. Clouston is giving him the confidence boost and the opportunity to get it together.

Anybody who thinks Elliott should be starting tonight is still thinking too much about last season. It's a new start. If Leclaire stinks it up tonight than it's back to Elliott. Pretty damn simple.
I think it's more the fact that that while they both were bad in the pre-season, Leclaire was worse.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
jeffsens11

vCash: 580
Nice GDT I'm so pumped! Sens hockey is back and no better way to start the season that against buffalo. GO SENS GO!

jeffsens11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
I think it's more the fact that that while they both were bad in the pre-season, Leclaire was worse.
Doesn't matter. People complained that Clouston didn't give Leclaire enough of a chance last year and that he got the bum rap and had his confidence ruined. Well home opener, crowd behind you, important statement game.......Clouston is doing the right thing here.

Old
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
kyle747

Quote:
What? Lehner has played what, 4 games in the organization so far? He has not earned anything. He's earned himself a role in Binghamton with his play. Elliott has been in the organization for years and has paid his dues. He's been a back up in the AHL and battled for the job, earning it outright and becoming an all-star at the AHL level. He then made the early jump to the NHL and stole the starting role TWICE, taking this team on impressive win streaks and getting back into the post season, earning personal accolades in the process.

People seem to forget that this team wouldn't have even been in the playoffs without Brian Elliott. Leclaire couldn't have even had his stellar 1.5 games if Elliott, the back up going into last year AND this year, didn't pick up the slack.

He played poorly in 4 games in the playoffs. Contrast all that with Lehner's great play in 4 games... 2 in the AHL, 2 in NHL preseason... Hmmmm...

Anyways, new year mean Elliott has to steal the starting job back. Nothing changes. I'm guessing the only reason Leclaire is between the pipes now is because Clouston and Murray realize they need to determine if Leclaire will ever be an asset again, because if he's not, they need to part ways soon and use the cap space to improve the team in other areas. The days of Alfie are nearing an end and the organization owes it to him to give him the best chance to win.
Lehner has earned as much as any player. I mean how does any young player take a job from a vet? He proves himself in preseason. So unless you think he wasn't the best of the trio he has earned a long look in the event of trouble.

And Ottawa would have made the post-season last year if Broudeur had been in net, instead of Elliot. He (Elliot) played well down the stretch - but it was a support role, he wasn't the key to our winning streak.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:11 PM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

Quote:
I do like the comment and I think you summed it up just right. Clouston tells it like it is and I respect that.

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Lehner has earned as much as any player. I mean how does any young player take a job from a vet? He proves himself in preseason. So unless you think he wasn't the best of the trio he has earned a long look in the event of trouble.

And Ottawa would have made the post-season last year if Broudeur had been in net, instead of Elliot. He (Elliot) played well down the stretch - but it was a support role, he wasn't the key to our winning streak.
First off, no one knows what would have happened if Brodeur started the rest of the games for Ottawa. But I have my doubts that a sub .900 sv% and +3.00 GAA goalie would have given the goaltending needed to get the team back in the playoffs picture.

Secondly, Elliott played far more than a 'support role' over that streak last year. He was Ottawa's best or second best player. Here are the stats of the support player over that streak...

Date Opponent Result GS MIN W L OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
Feb 4 VAN W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 30 29 .967 0
Feb 3 @ BUF W 4-2 1 60 1 0 0 0 2 2.00 36 34 .944 0
Jan 30 MON W 3-2 1 64 1 0 0 0 2 1.89 29 27 .931 0
Jan 28 @ PIT W 4-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 31 30 .968 0
Jan 26 NJD W 3-0 1 60 1 0 0 0 0 0.00 24 24 1.000 1
Jan 23 @ BOS W 2-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 33 32 .970 0
Jan 21 STL W 3-2 1 60 1 0 0 0 2 2.00 29 27 .931 0
Jan 19 CHI W 4-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 30 29 .967 0
Jan 18 @ BOS W 5-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.01 23 22 .957 0

He was phenomenal and the first star in the majority of those games and the 1st star of the week in the NHL over Jan 18-24 and the second star of the week the next week. Don't down play the importance of Elliott last year.

EDIT: since I have no life, I'll show Elliott's three star selections over that stretch: 1st star vs Chicago, 2nd star vs Blues, 3rd star vs Devils, 2nd star vs Penguins, 2nd star vs. Sabres, 1st star vs Vancouver... That's 6 star selections over 9 games... support role my ass.

Last edited by FolignoQuantumLeap: 10-08-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old
10-08-2010, 12:20 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
First off, no one knows what would have happened if Brodeur started the rest of the games for Ottawa. But I have my doubts that a sub .900 sv% and +3.00 GAA goalie would have given the goaltending needed to get the team back in the playoffs picture.

Secondly, Elliott played far more than a 'support role' over that streak last year. He was Ottawa's best or second best player. Here are the stats of the support player over that streak...

Date Opponent Result GS MIN W L OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
Feb 4 VAN W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 30 29 .967 0
Feb 3 @ BUF W 4-2 1 60 1 0 0 0 2 2.00 36 34 .944 0
Jan 30 MON W 3-2 1 64 1 0 0 0 2 1.89 29 27 .931 0
Jan 28 @ PIT W 4-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 31 30 .968 0
Jan 26 NJD W 3-0 1 60 1 0 0 0 0 0.00 24 24 1.000 1
Jan 23 @ BOS W 2-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 33 32 .970 0
Jan 21 STL W 3-2 1 60 1 0 0 0 2 2.00 29 27 .931 0
Jan 19 CHI W 4-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 30 29 .967 0
Jan 18 @ BOS W 5-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.01 23 22 .957 0

He was phenomenal and the first star in the majority of those games and the 1st star of the week in the NHL over Jan 18-24 and the second star of the week the next week. Don't down play the importance of Elliott last year.
Your point was gold until the last two words killed it.

Until something triggers it, the guy who we TRADED for to be the #1 will get every chance.

Why do people struggle with this so much?

Old
10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
SabresFan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I can't believe the Sabres are a threat with that forward group.

mods: don't delete this post, please. not sure what your criteria are based on recent deletions, so just being safe.

You do REALIZE this Sabres group out scored everyone in the North East last year with Vanek injured for a large part.

With him healthy we could probably do it again, if not then Bruins and Sens should be close.

Oh and Ennis is probably the favourite for rookie of the year if you are not aware, we have a very, very solid top 9 up front.

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Your point was gold until the last two words killed it.

Until something triggers it, the guy who we TRADED for to be the #1 will get every chance.

Why do people struggle with this so much?
I get it. But it's hard to watch Leclaire the way he played last game, every shot on net I look straight to the back of the net. Actually I do this with Elliott to, but Elliott makes the tough ones look easy sometimes.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:28 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
You do REALIZE this Sabres group out scored everyone in the North East last year with Vanek injured for a large part.

With him healthy we could probably do it again, if not then Bruins and Sens should be close.

Oh and Ennis is probably the favourite for rookie of the year if you are not aware, we have a very, very solid top 9 up front.
I would not say a very solid top 9 the first 2 lines are solid after that it drops down a bit.Ottawa for exzample very well could have the 4 best lines in the division if not very close.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:

Yeah, very, very solidly terrible LOOOOOOOOOOOL.

The Sabres forwards are build like the Sens, scoring depth in the top 6 and decent grinders, agitators, and defensive specialists in the bottom 6. The Sens have a bit more star power while the Sabres have more defensive awareness overall.

Last edited by Indy on the Road: 10-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:33 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:

I hope he does. I've been pumping Ennis' tires for a while and I managed to grab him in my pool. I'm thinking ~65 points is realistic. Maybe that seems high to some people but the kid is a monster when the puck is near him.

Old
10-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
With 3500 posts under your belt you should know that just isn't the way it works, especially with a 19 year old goalie coming out of the OHL, a league where a couple guys on the ice at all times make the NHL. Chris Neil's wrist shot is a step up from most of the shots he was taking.

His play in pre-season is actually being respected by our management much more than you'd expect...which speaks to how legitimate they thought his performances were. The fact that we're considering he could potentially be up here sometime this year is outstanding and frightening at the same time. Ideally his timeline is one year in the AHL and he will be given a chance to compete more equally next season if Elliott and Leclaire don't give him the job earlier.

Young players go into camps knowing what chances they have and what spots they can compete for, cases where someone comes in and surprises (like TJ Brodie of Calgary) are exceptions, Brodie, a Dman, had to score 4 goals in the pre-season to convince Calgary he deserved it.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote