HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundvquist Staying ?

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Lundvquist Staying ?

According to the Frolunda homepage - Lundvquist has decided to spend another season is Sweden - the only rationale I could see in the Rangers not really pushing him is maybe giving Blackburn a ton of time with the Pack. He seemed ready so I don't know what else would bring the sudden change of heart. I really don't think Sather would really low ball him.

Here is the article in Swedish.... if someone could translate then that would be great.

http://www.frolundaindians.com/aktue...sNyhetsID=1318

Old
06-09-2004, 06:03 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
According to the Frolunda homepage - Lundvquist has decided to spend another season is Sweden - the only rationale I could see in the Rangers not really pushing him is maybe giving Blackburn a ton of time with the Pack. He seemed ready so I don't know what else would bring the sudden change of heart. I really don't think Sather would really low ball him.

Here is the article in Swedish.... if someone could translate then that would be great.

http://www.frolundaindians.com/aktue...sNyhetsID=1318
thats odd, completely contradicting what we read before and what he said before

Old
06-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Skroob*

Perhaps he's thinking lockout and may not be the best time to jump to NA? Remember, with no NHL, that means Blackburn and Lababera will have the AHL slots locked up.

Old
06-09-2004, 06:12 PM
NYR469

the reason lundqvist gave was the lockout and it was decided that if nhlers like forsberg, naslund, etc are going to be playing in sweden it would be better for him to stay in sweden for 1 more year and face those guys.

i also heard that after other SEL teams started signing nhlers, frolunda really didn't want to lose lundqvist and with no agreement in place between nhl & iihf, the rangers didn't want to negotiate with frolunda

Old
06-09-2004, 06:13 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
Perhaps he's thinking lockout and may not be the best time to jump to NA? Remember, with no NHL, that means Blackburn and Lababera will have the AHL slots locked up.
well if he came over i think that would have forced us to move labarbera and then lundqvist & blackburn would have had to split time in hartford. so this does clear up a potential log jam a bit

Old
06-09-2004, 06:39 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
the reason lundqvist gave was the lockout and it was decided that if nhlers like forsberg, naslund, etc are going to be playing in sweden it would be better for him to stay in sweden for 1 more year and face those guys.

i also heard that after other SEL teams started signing nhlers, frolunda really didn't want to lose lundqvist and with no agreement in place between nhl & iihf, the rangers didn't want to negotiate with frolunda
is this fact? does the article state this?

j/w

Old
06-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think it's good for him. With the glut of NHL players going over there he'll face better competition in Europe than the AHL.

Old
06-09-2004, 07:07 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
is this fact? does the article state this?

j/w
i can't read swedish so i don't know what exactly the article says, but the info i posted was posted over at RFC by 2 people from sweden as a quick overview of the article

Old
06-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Prucha73

So if lets say there is no lockout, can he still be brought over here somehow?

Old
06-09-2004, 08:45 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
So if lets say there is no lockout, can he still be brought over here somehow?
that is unclear but it sounds like he will stay in sweden regardless

Old
06-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469

I have no doubt that the reasons you give (beyond the lockout) are correct. However, the only reason Lundqvist gives in the article is that there were just too many questions surrounding the NHL right now. There is no talk about other NHLers playing in Sweden or any mention about any negotiations between the teams--just that the club was happy that they could get him back and that Lundqvist saw playing for them was "a good alternative" for his career.

Old
06-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Barnaby

To look at the bright side: Blackburn will get a chance to be the horse in Hartford for a FULL season. With all those starts and a goalie coach, he could really develop nicely.

Old
06-10-2004, 01:05 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
To look at the bright side: Blackburn will get a chance to be the horse in Hartford for a FULL season. With all those starts and a goalie coach, he could really develop nicely.
Just to go off on a tangent for a second...I definately agree with you on the goalie coach thing. We've been harking on it for years -- even Larry has mentioned it several times in his articles (gee, what a coincidence!) -- and nothing has been done to solve the problem. As a 19 year old, Blackburn was left to dry with no guidance for 17 straight NHL games. Then when Dunham was brought in, Blackburn was rotting on the bench doing nothing for 3 months. Is that any way to develop your supposed goalie of the future?!

Ask Marty Brodeur how influential his goalie coach was when he was Blackburn's age, and even now. Why does every other team in the league have a full-time goalie coach, but the New York Rangers -- the team with the biggest pockets in the NHL -- can't muster up enough money to hire somebody to work with a 19 year old kid everyday? I'm telling you, Sather is so effing clueless. During the offseason, we tend to forget these little things (optional practices, no accountability, no system, no goalie coach, etc.). But in the end, they add up and, as a result, we have four years of golf in April with Sather in charge.

Speaking of which...even if he finally realizes his fault and decides to hire a goalie coach, how much you wanna bet it'll be some old Edmonton cronie like Grant Fuhr or, dare I say, Ron Low?!

Old
06-10-2004, 01:30 AM
Edge

Goaltending is all about mechanics and adjustments. You wouldn't see a baseball team go without a pitching coach, one of these days the Rangers will learn the value of a good goaltending coach. But as a whole it's an idea that is still catching on in the world of professional hockey.

Old
06-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Grottroffe

According to a newspaper here in Sweden Lundqvist has signed a one year contract with Frölunda. He is doing this because of the lockout possibility and that he wanted to mature as a goalie for one more year here in Sweden.

Old
06-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grottroffe
According to a newspaper here in Sweden Lundqvist has signed a one year contract with Frölunda. He is doing this because of the lockout possibility and that he wanted to mature as a goalie for one more year here in Sweden.
He already have a contract with Frölunda which expires in May 2005.

-------------------------------------------------------------

– För mig och min karriär känns spel i Indians mest rätt när det gäller den kommande säsongen. Dessutom finns det ju många frågetecken kring NHL just nu, säger Henrik Lundqvist.

translation:
- For me and my career playing with the Indians (Västra Frölunda) seems most right next season. Besides there are many question marks surrounding the NHL at the moment, says Henrik Lundquist.

Old
06-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Blueshirt13

Disappointing? Yes

Would I have liked to see him over here next year? Yes

Might this be a good move for him? Yes...

As said previously, atleast now both Lundqvist and Blackburn will both get to mature in starting roles.

Old
06-10-2004, 09:10 AM
L.I.RangerFan

IMO part of the reason for Lundqvist staying in Sweden is the improvement of Blackburns injury. Remember, prior to about a month ago, Blackburns status was uncertain. With the improvement, it actually make sense for Lundqvist to stay in Sweden.

The uncertainty of next season means Blackburn can recover in Hartford and get the majority of the playing time. Lundqvist stays in Sweden for the year, develops more with better competition and getting the majority of the icetime for Frolunda.

In 2005-2006, Lundqvist can come over, play the majority of the time in Hartford and Blackie, if totallly recovered, can play with the Rangers, whether as the starter or the backup.

Old
06-10-2004, 09:53 AM
ebn

Lunquist Playing in Sweden

What makes you guys think Lunquist is not ready for the NHL.
He already done everything in Sweden. He played against men in competition.
Won every game in World Championships except the gold mdal game. This guy should be ready for the NHL. If he needs to adjust to North American play he should be in Hartford or the NHL not in Sweden. I think him remaining in Sweden is just a ploy to get a good contract for himself. It's like I don't get what I want in a contract I will stay in Sweden. All this probably has to do with the agreement between NHL and Players Union. I don't think anybody of big importance will be signed until there is an agreement. Who would want to pay more and then worry about a salary cap, soft or hard. The point is, I think when the season is underway Rangers will get Lunquist over Hartford or NHL. I think he might be better than Blackburn at this point. He was even named to World Cup of Hockey roster.
Rangers can have another look at him there against the best.

Old
06-10-2004, 09:59 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
What makes you guys think Lunquist is not ready for the NHL.
2 reasons to think he isn't nhl ready...

1)he has never played a game in north american before and for a goalie playing on the different size rink is a big adjustment

2)lundqvist has said himself that he doesn't think he is ready yet and is willing to spend a year or 2 in the AHL...but what does he know about himself, right?

and of course you can also factor in the fact that there will be no nhl next year so it doesn't really matter if he is ready or not

Old
06-10-2004, 10:05 AM
ebn

2 reasons to think he isn't nhl ready...

1)he has never played a game in north american before and for a goalie playing on the different size rink is a big adjustment

Which is Exactly why he should be in Hartford at least or the NHL directly.

2)lundqvist has said himself that he doesn't think he is ready yet and is willing to spend a year or 2 in the AHL...but what does he know about himself, right?

Doesn't mean anything. What is he supposed to say I come to the Rangers and I am the starting goalie. Look against what competition he was successful and he was named to Sweden World Cup of Hockey team.

and of course you can also factor in the fact that there will be no nhl next year so it doesn't really matter if he is ready or not

That's why he probably won't be signed until there is an agreement. He can come to training camp without an contract and then sign a deal based on his performance in training camp.

Old
06-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Barnaby

I think we have to remember that Blackburn is still our top goalie prospect. If you bring Lundvquits over then you have two very good goalies competing for an AHL job when they both should get plenty of ice-time to hone their skills. Leaving Lundvquist in Sweden to face a lot of NHL talent and Blackburn in Hartford to finally be a full time starter for the first time in 3-4 years could be great. Next year Blackburn can move back to the NHL and start 50 games and Lundvquist can start 60 plus games for the Pack to really adjust.

I wanted HL here as badly as anyone, but I think this news could be best for everyone involved.

Old
06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
I wanted HL here as badly as anyone, but I think this news could be best for everyone involved.
I agree entirely. I am one of those who think that Lundqvist and Blackburn should be on equal standing in the Rangers' "goalie of the future" stakes. That said, I don't see how starting half the games in Hartford could be good for Blackburn. Even if he needs to be eased back into playing, I think he needs to see quality starting time in the AHL, not every-other-game time.

As for Lundqvist, he's young, and he'll only get better with practice in Sweden. He might not adjust to the North American rinks there, but I think it is more important for him, too that he be the starter and focal point of his team than that he have to split time.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Wasn't Sami St.Louraunt (sp?) out goalie coach? I remember Richter talking about him helping him out in the later stages of his career. I can't believe we don't have a goalie coach!!!!!! :mad:

Old
06-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
Wasn't Sami St.Louraunt (sp?) out goalie coach? I remember Richter talking about him helping him out in the later stages of his career. I can't believe we don't have a goalie coach!!!!!! :mad:
He's the goalie coach for the whole organization. The question is whether there should be a full time coach for the NHL.

Closed Thread